• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I created this Ridley Size Chart Comparison using ACTUAL IN-GAME PROPORTIONS with no tampering from Zero Mission and SSB4 pictures uploaded by Sakurai via Miiverse. Ridley is still fairly large, but not as large as detractors seem to think. The only way I see him becoming a playable character is if it is in fact deemed OK to have an almost Super Mushroom sized character playing in a normal fight, making him the largest character in game. This could prove advantageous, but also detrimental due to his large hit-box area.

That... Doesnt look so big.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The overblast is fun but I'm bad at it. Ridley would be ashamed. He can probably overblast without an arm cannon.

EDIT: I don't know. Linearity isn't preferred but it's not my biggest issue with Other M. It's not even the main reason why Fusion is so awful as far as I'm concerned. Which is weird since being nonlinear is generally a good thing that Metroid games do.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I created this Ridley Size Chart Comparison using ACTUAL IN-GAME PROPORTIONS with no tampering from Zero Mission and SSB4 pictures uploaded by Sakurai via Miiverse. Ridley is still fairly large, but not as large as detractors seem to think. The only way I see him becoming a playable character is if it is in fact deemed OK to have an almost Super Mushroom sized character playing in a normal fight, making him the largest character in game. This could prove advantageous, but also detrimental due to his large hit-box area.

Nice! I see you're new here.

If you want to see Ridley's actual proportions in Smash 4, check the second post of all time on this thread. It'll show you his model is actually a tad taller than Bowser, perfect character size

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Credit to moi, during his reveal, I want this on EVERY smash related page.
Yeah...but then we will quote those a******s every time they say something like that. And not just quote through text, through screenshots.
The overblast is fun but I'm bad at it. Ridley would be ashamed. He can probably overblast without an arm cannon.
Yes. He can overblast, underblast, sideblast, barrel-roll-blast, everything you want only for 9.99$.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I feel like this thread has more intelligent conversation discussing Other M than it does discussing (arguing) Ridley in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

Credit to moi, during his reveal, I want this on EVERY smash related page.

Linearity in Other M seems to be 2nd most hated thing. Hm...would removing 1st-person mode and just making missiles work like in previous games be better for the game or not?
A lot of the "recent" (if about 5 years is still recent...) Nintendo games seem to have taken off of exploration in some form. In other words, a lot of them seem extremely linear...

And better, a lot better. M:OM is trying to be two things it isn't: Prime Series and Fusion. The first person of Prime Series does not work with the linearity and intense plot of Fusion. Anyone else getting this feel from Other M?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
But you are allowed a level of exploration in Other M. Some doors may close behind you, but I had no problem going back and finding hidden things in the game. Unlike Fusion, which I had trouble even playing to begin with.

It's like this. Would you call Four Swords Adventures the best Zelda game because it focuses on Multiplayer and has the best Multiplayer? Probably not, because multiplayer isn't what matters in a Zelda game. Would you call Other M the worst Metroid game because it focuses on story and has one of the worst stories? Apparently YES, even though story literally does not matter in a Zelda game.

And if anything the analogy isn't too great simply because the STORY doesn't affect the way the game is actually played. If you took out the cutscenes, the game would literally be played the same. Four Swords Adventures if you take out the multiplayer is just a really awkwardly put together game.
The thing is, again, Other M isn't even designed like a Metroid game. It had to trade the whole exploration factor for storytelling, which is blatantly obvious since the game "rewards" you with a Theater Mode, where you can watch the already unskippable cutscenes without the gameplay.

At least in Fusion (and subsequently, Zero Mission) part of the exploration factor is traded for a more dynamic gameplay, seen as Samus can grab ledges, toggle missiles on and off easily, and run automatically. But I can't stop you from dissing Fusion, so it's futile to keep going.

Technically Other M also has a more dynamic playstyle as well, but that's mostly hampered by how you actually use missiles (which are required for most of the game)

majora_787

Smash Hero
I felt like the superior combat and ridiculously poorly thought out first person were an alright trade-off honestly.

EDIT: That's sad because there is no intelligent discussion about Other M here. There are occasionally people saying less bizarre or needlessly charged things about it, but that's not really even a discussion so much.

Though at least people don't try shipping the Other M game disc with Rosalina or Olivia or Rayman I guess. :awesome:

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I feel like this thread has more intelligent conversation discussing Other M than discussing (arguing) Ridley in Smash Bros.
And that is a pretty sad thing. There is a lot more idiots than Metroid/Ridley fans. Or at least there is a lot more LOUD idiots than LOUD Metroid/Ridley fans or at least Metroid/Ridley fans that visit forums and other things like that.

I think it is an compliment unless you meant that both sides are equally bad in that discussion. I understand it as mostly that toobigots refuse to have an intelligent conversation, forcing us to repeat things and add new things in that "discussion" even through it is pointless since they won`t listen.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
@ Ryenzi Ryenzi Thank you for the image. I hope we receive a big Ridley like that! I strongly hope.
@Con0rrrr I would look at the post, but I shall keep Ridley's in-game size a surprise.

Ryenzi

Smash Rookie
Nice! I see you're new here.

If you want to see Ridley's actual proportions in Smash 4, check the second post of all time on this thread. It'll show you his model is actually a tad taller than Bowser, perfect character size

Ha, I created an account just to show people that picture.

And yes, I am aware of the second post of all time Ridley size, but for some reason I think even THAT is too small. It needs an oh- so slight enlargement. I think Ridley needs to be the way he is, because he might be able to work.

:)

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
If that will happen...download those videos and then re-upload to rub that in their faces if original video will be deleted.
Let's get on those download sites!
Copyright claims can't stop us from rubbing it in their faces!

Ridley is just too big to fit. So we made him outside the game as DLC
(Must pay for BIG online shipping cost)

Wait what if this becomes an actual issue with the Smash 4 Disc...

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So this Ridley rumor thing started on Facebook.

Can we get someone to go on the "Super Smash Bros Discussion Group," and see what they meant?

Actually, @CrusherMania1592 can you go back to the conversation and copy that part? Others in that group can do that too.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
POTENTIAL SPOILERS BELOW DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN OTHER M

The essay someone linked earlier was very much an eye-opener for me, despite already just despising Other M, it took it a step further. The abusive relationship between Adam and Samus is very much reinforced several times throughout the game, and she takes it very submissively and begs for Adam's favor, but him being the gruff military man he is, he brushed it off and went on his way. I thought Adam's character was actually fairly accurate, besides him shooting her and his "sacrifice" being totally pointless since the whole ship was blown up anyways. I didn't think he'd be as much of a prick, but there you go. As for Samus, if you think about it, what does she do throughout the game? She doesn't kill Ridley. She doesn't save any of her fellow Federation troopers. And she doesn't even save the ship! The Queen Metroid was the only notable threat she killed, and even MB was killed by the Federation, not her.

But for me, the biggest issue for the whole game, even apart from all of those things, was the Ridley cutscene. Not only does she cower after facing him canonically twice beforehand (since it was her first joint mission since leaving the Federation, I guess that throws out the Primes, particularly Corruption since gee, you work with the GF throughout the WHOLE GAME. Counting the Primes, that's a whopping 5 times since the death of her parents on K-2L.), she has to have Anthony save her and doesn't revert to her badass self until Anthony dies, which could have been EASILY avoided if she just started firing missiles at Ridley from the get-go. Not only does she not shoot him initially, SHE DOESN'T EVEN KILL HIM. He gets up and flies right away after playing dead. Samus merely assumed he was dead rather than making sure he was (a la the Meta Ridley fight in Corruption or looking over the edge in Prime). Insult after insult to her character is basically Other M in a nutshell. /rant /spoilers

As for Ridley's Smash chances, I'd sure hope we'd get an option to change his appearance to Meta, at least. If he's playable though, I'd be happy even if it was Roidley and Roidley only. They actually nailed Ridley's character in Other M, seeing as he took advantage of Samus' aforementioned weakness and smashed her against the wall (inb4 sex joke). A villain trailer would be beautiful in the next few weeks, but we'll see.

Going to bed with Corocoro being a complete mystery to me and a PotD after comic-con incoming. Oh dear. . . . Also let's be honest a game is not having enough data is less of a problem than $10.00 for One of the most wanted characters NA (That and 3ds probably has less data. Maybe). Mostly unrelated I would totally ok with free watered-down MOBA style updates of smash bros. Changes so there are no meta knights destroying tournaments and characters like Roy and ivysaur could be added later when they have more time. Although my past with MOBAs tells me Nintendo would be incapable of handling it. . .
Jeez this post was very short when I started it and got huge. . .

majora_787

Smash Hero
I still find it hilarious when people look for reasons to say Other M ruined what wasn't even there to begin with, but that's not a conversation I'm going to have.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Ha, I created an account just to show people that picture.

And yes, I am aware of the second post of all time Ridley size, but for some reason I think even THAT is too small. It needs an oh- so slight enlargement. I think Ridley needs to be the way he is, because he might be able to work.

:)
1. Ridley doesn't have a canon size. (his size varies from game to game)

2. Zero mission Ridley isn't even the most popular iteration of Ridley, Super Metroid Ridley is the most popular and it's smaller than the Zero Mission one.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Other M was story-based when it shouldn't have been because in a series like this the story just doesn't matter.
Now I'm confused. Were you defending the story or not?

Aww, for me? You didn't have to. <3
How do I change default post color?

The essay someone linked earlier was very much an eye-opener for me, despite already just despising Other M, it took it a step further. The abusive relationship between Adam and Samus is very much reinforced several times throughout the game, and she takes it very submissively and begs for Adam's favor, but him being the gruff military man he is, he brushed it off and went on his way. I thought Adam's character was actually fairly accurate, besides him shooting her and his "sacrifice" being totally pointless since the whole ship was blown up anyways. I didn't think he'd be as much of a prick, but there you go. As for Samus, if you think about it, what does she do throughout the game? She doesn't kill Ridley. She doesn't save any of her fellow Federation troopers. And she doesn't even save the ship! The Queen Metroid was the only notable threat she killed, and even MB was killed by the Federation, not her.

But for me, the biggest issue for the whole game, even apart from all of those things, was the Ridley cutscene. Not only does she cower after facing him canonically twice beforehand (since it was her first joint mission since leaving the Federation, I guess that throws out the Primes, particularly Corruption since gee, you work with the GF throughout the WHOLE GAME. Counting the Primes, that's a whopping 5 times since the death of her parents on K-2L.), she has to have Anthony save her and doesn't revert to her badass self until Anthony dies, which could have been EASILY avoided if she just started firing missiles at Ridley from the get-go. Not only does she not shoot him initially, SHE DOESN'T EVEN KILL HIM. He gets up and flies right away after playing dead. Samus merely assumed he was dead rather than making sure he was (a la the Meta Ridley fight in Corruption or looking over the edge in Prime). Insult after insult to her character is basically Other M in a nutshell. /rant /spoilers

As for Ridley's Smash chances, I'd sure hope we'd get an option to change his appearance to Meta, at least. If he's playable though, I'd be happy even if it was Roidley and Roidley only. They actually nailed Ridley's character in Other M, seeing as he took advantage of Samus' aforementioned weakness and smashed her against the wall (inb4 sex joke). A villain trailer would be beautiful in the next few weeks, but we'll see.
You're welcome. :)

The article was an interesting read for me as well, however I'd like to add on to the fact that Samus has always been an empty shell for the player to put themselves into, and Other M was released so late into the franchise that the player base was extremely comfortable with relating to the character. If Sakamoto was intentionally putting down Samus, then there's a good chance he's putting down the player as well: I add "Other M is linear, but the other games weren't" to "Other M Samus is a wimp, when in the other games she's not" into a calculator, and I get "I HATE YOU PLAYER." I don't understand why people defend this game when the game clearly wants to be hated by the fanbase.

What's Other M?

Never heard of it...
Other M is why we won't have Ridley in Smash 4.
Other M is why Mewtwo and Roy were cut.
Other M is why tripping exists in Brawl.
Other M is why people are bigots.
Other M is why the economy sucks.
Other M is why we don't go to space anymore.
Other M poisoned our water supply, burned our crops, and delivered a plague unto our houses.

Ryenzi

Smash Rookie
1. Ridley doesn't have a canon size. (his size varies from game to game)

2. Zero mission Ridley isn't even the most popular iteration of Ridley, Super Metroid Ridley is the most popular and it's smaller than the Zero Mission one.
An even better reason to have Ridley playable nonetheless.

The Zero Mission Ridley, in my opinion, is the best looking Ridley. And yes, even I agree that it might be a bit too big, just a bit. If they were to somehow use a Zero Mission Ridley with the size of Super Metroid Ridley, "I would be so happy." They could do anything with the design, because SSB4 Samus is not entirely Other M. She's just based off of it, like Link and Zelda's costumes.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Replying to this first bit from the K. Rool thread since I guess it'd be more appropriate to continue here.

The manga is highly disputable and this is not the place for it. And the manga isn't canon and their isn't an official source that says this, and the manga has many contradictions. Also they weren't one shot hunters, they were all invited because they were highly skilled and don't hunt relics for a living.

And it doesn't matter if Samus can acquire their gun, the hunters can get each others as well as having additional effects while using their signature weapon that Samus can't do. Not to mention very unique alt forms such as weavel detaching his lower body and fighting with his arm blade while his lower half turns into a turret.
Sakamoto endorses the manga and considers it canon, which is enough really. And all the arguments you gave toward the manga there can easily be said for Other M as well, except Other M had more contradictions than the manga ever did, arguably enough. Even without the manga and M:OM though, Metroid's storyline tends to not really be coherent anyway, which is a fault of even some of the best games in the series. Like remember the pirate log in the 1st Prime that mentioned them being able to experiment on Metroid Prime (the creature) despite it being trapped in the Impact Crater which they did not have all the artifacts to access? Yeah, let that sink in for a moment. lol

Being skilled doesn't make the hunters any less of a bunch of one-shots, even though I like most of them especially Weavel whose my favorite out of 'em, not to flatter you.

im gonna vote on... worst nightmare.

life never turns out well, afterall... not for people who deserve it, anyway.

one reason im tempted to find a way to just sleep for a week or two straight...

im kinda between being just... utterly depressed... and completely pissed off.
Despair is the greatest enemy of all. Don't give into it.

The again, the game isn't even designed like a Metroid game, as it's really linear and actually discourages exploration (with the whole authorization mess). At least in Fusion, which is considerably linear compared to other games, you are allowed to explore and find hidden goodies along the way, unlike in Other M were the doors basically close behind you as you go.
You're able to explore for the rest of the goodies and stuff during the epilogue though in preparation for Phantoon and to unlock hard mode should you 100% it, which people seem to always forget/leave out.

But yeah, it is still the most linear game with that said.

edit:
I feel like this thread has more intelligent conversation discussing Other M than it does discussing (arguing) Ridley in Smash Bros.
I think this couldn't be farther from the truth.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I don't care how big he is, just shrink his arms and wings so they don't have so much reach. Bowser is a big character, but most of his body is his shell and head, so he looks menacing without wrecking the tier list.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
@Ridley_Prime....you know what, a few hours or minutes ago...I did a collage with all the Ridley and Roidley stuff I did, from the very first comic I created on May to the one I did this morning....and I remembered months back, when I despited Roidley to the core....and you told me that you find it sad that I hated something related to Ridley....so, I'm surprised as always how my interactions with those two changed....from violent to funny...and well, it became a really appreciated concept of mine...

SCAN0147 - Copy.JPG

It is amazing how time and the circumstances change people.....

Top Bottom