• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I wouldn't put too much stock in a Ridley reveal on August. Most people believed that we would be getting a Fire Emblem newcomer back in April, and even earlier, a DK newcomer in February to commemorate the release of Tropical Freeze.

I really want to be wrong on this, but Chorus Kids (if they're really in) have just as much a chance as Ridley to be revealed then. The first Rhythm Heaven game came out in August 2006, which means they might be the newcomers revealed instead. Also, Hyrule Warriors is set to be released this August, giving us Ridley fans even more competition to deal with.

Basically, it's not going to be that easy to think Ridley will be revealed then.
So, we won't get him before August 6 to have his chances be at 99% on August 6 since he won't be an hazard (most likely)?

Hype is still worth it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wouldn't put too much stock in a Ridley reveal on August. Most people believed that we would be getting a Fire Emblem newcomer back in April, and even earlier, a DK newcomer in February to commemorate the release of Tropical Freeze.

I really want to be wrong on this, but Chorus Kids (if they're really in) have just as much a chance as Ridley to be revealed then. The first Rhythm Heaven game came out in August 2006, which means they might be the newcomers revealed instead. Also, Hyrule Warriors is set to be released this August, giving us Ridley fans even more competition to deal with.

Basically, it's not going to be that easy to think Ridley will be revealed then.
If we don't get Ridley in August, I think we'll get a DK trailer instead.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The things I do to keep up with this thread.

Effective immediately, ANY off topic character/leak/whatever discussion gets warned. No exceptions. This isn't the Ghiranim, Dark whatever, or Metroid General Discussion thread. Furthermore, any leaks not having to pertain with Ridley (as in DIRECTLY mentioning him, not just "x being fake/true means Ridley is much more likely!") do not need to be brought up here. Nor does everyone who has differing opinions need to be told to leave/stop "trolling."

K, from the instant response, I can tell the most of you seem afraid of him just taking incoming hits and not being any danger to the players and also just general sadness that he wouldn't be playable.
Afraid is most definitely the wrong word here.

But wouldn't he be a punching bag that fights back? You don't exactly know what he'd do yet, all you saw was some shadows and a grab. Hardly representative of the final product.

Yeah, even on the hardest difficulty, and even with Ridley "fighting back," this is a terrible representation of what he's actually capable of (not even counting the disappointment as a Metroid fan, Ridley's known in Boss Rush/speedrunning communities as the "easy" boss that you hope you save for last). And this is in a mode specifically designed for boss fighting/where they're meant to kill you. Stage bosses are looking to be little more than tournament legality deterrents (not that that actually matters here)/fun party "gimmicks" that are only really annoying/"threatening" when people focus on fighting each other rather than try to get the candy out of giant piñata, or purposely hide behind the bosses as a shield and knock others into its direct line of fire (which many did with Yellow Devil in the demo).

I'll respect that we have yet to see to what extent any of them will be, but as many have noted, Yellow Devil pretty crushed everyone's dreams from the get-go, and that only got progressively worse the more we saw (how quick they regenerate/appear, how disappointing their "prize" for being defeated is, etc.)

Getting taken on by 4 main characters of series at the same time and still fighting back I find quite an achievement and compliment to his strength and endurance, the way I see it.
Admittedly as a die-hard Ridley fan, I find him awesome doing just about anything. Yes, even being a punching bag to some extent (when completely ignoring/blocking out how much better it'd be to have the roles reversed). So yes, it is an "achievement/compliment" to see him go Optimus Prime/take everyone on at once.

But let me ask you this: Would that not be even MORE impressive if he did that while still being playable? As in, if he was on equal fighting terms as everyone else? The possibilities opened up by being playable are much more gratifying than even the most well done of bosses.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Wait. The staff said a thread would experience some glitching if it exceeds 2000 pages, right?

And this thread is gaining new pages like a loose gumball machine because of all the detractor discussions...

Oh my god...

THEY'RE SECRETLY TRYING TO SABOTAGE OUR THREAD BY MAKING US FLOOD IT WITH POSTS!!

THOSE CLEVER LITTLE B***ARDS!!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Wait. The staff said a thread would experience some glitching if it exceeds 2000 pages, right?

And this thread is gaining new pages like a loose gumball machine because of all the detractor discussions...

Oh my god...

THEY'RE SECRETLY TRYING TO SABOTAGE OUR THREAD BY MAKING US FLOOD IT WITH POSTS!!

THOSE CLEVER LITTLE B***ARDS!!
Well, you know what they say:
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The things I do to keep up with this thread.

Effective immediately, ANY off topic character/leak/whatever discussion gets warned. No exceptions. This isn't the Ghiranim, Dark whatever, or Metroid General Discussion thread. Furthermore, any leaks not having to pertain with Ridley (as in DIRECTLY mentioning him, not just "x being fake/true means Ridley is much more likely!") do not need to be brought up here. Nor does everyone who has differing opinions need to be told to leave/stop "trolling."

Afraid is most definitely the wrong word here.

Yeah, even on the hardest difficulty, and even with Ridley "fighting back," this is a terrible representation of what he's actually capable of (not even counting the disappointment as a Metroid fan, Ridley's known in Boss Rush/speedrunning communities as the "easy" boss that you hope you save for last). And this is in a mode specifically designed for boss fighting/where they're meant to kill you. Stage bosses are looking to be little more than tournament legality deterrents (not that that actually matters here)/fun party "gimmicks" that are only really annoying/"threatening" when people focus on fighting each other rather than try to get the candy out of giant piñata, or purposely hide behind the bosses as a shield (which many did with Yellow Devil in the demo) and knock others into its direct line of fire.

I'll respect that we have yet to see to what extent any of them will be, but as many have noted, Yellow Devil pretty crushed everyone's dreams from the get-go, and that only got progressively worse the more we saw (how quick they regenerate/appear, etc.)

Admittedly as a die-hard Ridley fan, I find him awesome doing just about anything. Yes, even being a punching bag to some extent (when completely ignoring/blocking out how much better it'd be to have the roles reversed). So yes, it is an "achievement/compliment" to see him go Optimus Prime/take everyone on at once.

But let me ask you this: Would that not be even MORE impressive if he did that while still being playable? As in, if he was on equal fighting terms as everyone else? The possibilities opened up by being playable are much more gratifying than even the most well done of bosses.
I thought the boss battle was kinda fun, but damn is it ever easy. Yes, I totally agree, Ridley would be far better represented as a playable character. You can also fight Giant Ridley for a much better boss experience than you'd get otherwise.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I thought the boss battle was kinda fun, but damn is it ever easy. Yes, I totally agree, Ridley would be far better represented as a playable character. You can also fight Giant Ridley for a much better boss experience than you'd get otherwise.
I think I'd have mild-to-severe chest pains if they made a canonical counterpart to Giga Bowser in the form of Giga Ridley.

Not even as a Final Smash. Just a Smash-exclusive boss for Classic/Adventure Mode.

domokl

Smash Lord
I think I'd have mild-to-severe chest pains if they made a canonical counterpart to Giga Bowser in the form of Giga Ridley.

Not even as a Final Smash. Just a Smash-exclusive boss for Classic/Adventure Mode.
The amount of pure hatred I would feel for sakurai if that happened cannot be explained in words.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
My only regret concerning getting Playabley over Bossley is that the Norion Fall will never, ever become a playable stage.

cheetored20

Smash Rookie
My only regret concerning getting Playabley over Bossley is that the Norion Fall will never, ever become a playable stage.
mabe it could be on the blue falcon, or whatever its called, with meta ridley in the background as a stage hazard? or even better meta ridely and samus fighting in the background causing stage hazards when they miss
edit: miss as in miss attack

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Hmm? All I was saying is Ridley would be playable, but in other modes Ridley with a Super Mushroom would be a boss against Samus or something. That's all I meant. :p

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Giga Bowser
Giga Ridley
Giga DeDeDe
Giga Rool
Giga...Mewtwo?
Er...Giga Medusa?

There are two things I wouldn't mind about Giga Medusa.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Giga Bowser
Giga Ridley
Giga DeDeDe
Giga Rool
Giga...Mewtwo?
Er...Giga Medusa?

There are two things I wouldn't mind about Giga Medusa.
We don't need the Ridley thread to go the road of the Medusa thread that way. :awesome:

Giga Ridley would be absurd if that were a thing. It could only be great.

UpsilonFox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FLYINGDAVEno2
3DS FC
1134-7457-1617
Since playable Ridley seems likely to be Clonely, and most of Ridley's upgraded forms were done to original Ridley, do you think Neo-Ridley could be a Final Smash?

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
I almost wish they never implemented final smashes. They're all unbalanced and stuff. Plus some of'em just piss me off. I'm fine with Giga Bowser 'cause it kinda references him uses magic to make himself giant (let's just stop at Giga Mac...), but Gunship for ZSSamus? C'mon! Give it to FOX. And honestly have no earthly idea what they'd make Ridley's. I hope it's not Meta or Omega 'cause they're not really "power-up" so much as... analogous forms... Idk. I guess something space pirate related would be neat, but I honestly think it's a bit underwhelming for him.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Since playable Ridley seems likely to be Clonely, and most of Ridley's upgraded forms were done to original Ridley, do you think Neo-Ridley could be a Final Smash?
Neo-Ridley a final Smash? Why would you want your final smash to make you into a decadent, flying mush with obnoxiously ear-piercing screech? :troll:

...now that I think about it, I can see how it can be an effective strategy :denzel:

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I almost wish they never implemented final smashes. They're all unbalanced and stuff. Plus some of'em just piss me off. I'm fine with Giga Bowser 'cause it kinda references him uses magic to make himself giant (let's just stop at Giga Mac...), but Gunship for ZSSamus? C'mon! Give it to FOX. And honestly have no earthly idea what they'd make Ridley's. I hope it's not Meta or Omega 'cause they're not really "power-up" so much as... analogous forms... Idk. I guess something space pirate related would be neat, but I honestly think it's a bit underwhelming for him.
Sakurai wanted to add Final Smashes to the first game, actually. And most fighting games have an ultimate ability of some sort. But yeah, they tend to be unbalanced, its quite annoying.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ridley's Final Smash will obviously be his annoying-as-hell screech from Metroid Fusion as Ridley-X. :troll:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Caught up on the thread, I was disappointed by the off topic discussion. But whatever.

Gotta say, you guys gotta practice linking detractors in this thread to my post. Not uplifting myself, as I only did the organizing. But I think it does everyone a favor to just tell someone where to go.

Also, anymore 100% necessary posts that need to be added? Stuff that isn't covered by any other post there?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ridley's final smash would be fantastic- I'd love it to reference the unlikeliness so many thought of him being in the game.
I do not think he would just grab a cup of tea and laugh at the fourth wall on a rocking chair and in a top hat/monocle, but I would not be bothered by this idea whatsoever.

RIDLEY TEA PARTY for a final smash, actually---

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah I'd rather we keep Ridley-X locked away in the dark moldy tank it crawled out of and never speak of it again, let alone make it a final smash. :p

I've said it before, using his Other M form would probably lead to his hardened skin and explosive fireballs being a final smash of some sort. Though I guess turning into Meta Ridley is nonsensicle enough to work. Summoning Mecha Ridley would also be something that would be interesting to see.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I personally just see Ridley getting furious and having a pseudo yoshi final smash. Fly around and spit fireballs while pissed

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I want either Space Pirate raid, or a variation of Roidley's "feral" scream that calls random enemies to wreak havoc. Pit got the Sacred Treasures, and I'm expecting King Dedede to get Masked Dedede this time around as his FS, so more room for someone to "inherit" the Mook Army type Final Smash.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I feel like Wolf would be better suited to inheriting a mook sort of final smash after he became the leader of the Sargasso thug hideout in Star Fox Assault. Ridley just seems like he'd be best off getting his own hands dirty without the underlings.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Whoa, quite the crowd in here.

You know, the idea of Ridley in Super Smash Bros has started to grow on me. Personally, I have always had a neutral viewpoint towards the subject. I also have a feeling he might actually be playable--mine reason being, you'd think that if he really was only a stage boss, Sakurai would have made that quite clear during April's Smash Direct, instead of just showing a glimpse of his wings and tail. The man loves suspense and mind games, after all. Same with Palutena; if she was not playable character, then I think Sakurai would have shown off her trophy instead of Pseudo Palutena's. I think the Pyrosphere stage will function similarly to the Spirit Tracks stage (with Alfonzo appearing in Toon Link's place if he is in the match), in that Ridley WILL appear as a stage boss, but if a player is using Ridley, someone else will appear as a stage boss, maybe a giant Space Pirate Commando or something.

After watching the following video, I can definitely see how Ridley could be unique. FYI: I have only played the Metroid Prime trilogy and Metroid: Other M.

Ridley could be the exact opposite of Little Mac; he could be very sluggish, clumsy, and vulnerable on the ground, but an absolute nightmare in the air. He could also have SEVERAL midair jumps--the most in the game--and be like Yoshi in that his up-special wouldn't do much for recovery since his jumps already provide supreme recovery as is. In the air, he could easily recover from even the most powerful attacks and suffer very little, if any, knockback, and be practically invulnerable to Meteor Smashes--but on the ground, he would be super easy to side-screen or Star KO once his damage is high enough. If this is the case, I might just consider maining Ridley, since I love to fight in the air.

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
I want either Space Pirate raid, or a variation of Roidley's "feral" scream that calls random enemies to wreak havoc. Pit got the Sacred Treasures, and I'm expecting King Dedede to get Masked Dedede this time around as his FS, so more room for someone to "inherit" the Mook Army type Final Smash.
But isn't a mook army kinda... weak for Ridley I guess? Idk, Babyley could that to be manipulative but like, I figure something more aggresive and... Ridley? I don't know what I'm getting at. I like the dark hard skinned idea, but maybe it's a bit too... Gigia Ridley?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
@ SchAlternate SchAlternate , do you still have that Screen KO fan art of Ridley? After looking at the latest picture of the day, I really wanted to look back and marvel at its hilarity.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I guess the way I think of it is Ridley shouldn't use his usual abilities (hardening skin, shooting fire, wall grinding, etc.) for a Final Smash so much as he should get them as regular moves. None of those aside from maybe the cinematic wall grind screams iconic/"Ridley" specific finishing move. And transformations to other forms, while interesting in theory, would probably make little sense considering Ridley's 'transformations' aren't exactly ever by choice.

Raid/Mook army would show off the more tactical/intelligent military commander 'dark influence' side to Ridley's character. Which I feel would be much more awesome than hurrI'mamindlessdragonthatdoesdragonthings. That and I feel we've got enough transformation/"super powered mode" Final Smashes.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I guess the way I think of it is Ridley shouldn't use his usual abilities (hardening skin, shooting fire, wall grinding, etc.) for a Final Smash so much as he should get them as regular moves. None of those aside from maybe the cinematic wall grind screams iconic/"Ridley" specific finishing move. And transformations to other forms, while interesting in theory, would probably make little sense considering Ridley's 'transformations' aren't exactly ever by choice.

Raid/Mook army would show off the more tactical/intelligent military commander 'dark influence' side to Ridley's character. Which I feel would be much more awesome than hurrI'mamindlessdragonthatdoesdragonthings. That and I feel we've got enough transformation/"super powered mode" Final Smashes.
Yeah, maybe that could work. I never really considered the raid idea a good idea before, but it could turn out quite well.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I could see him also getting something Captain Falcon style. He gets the smash ball, press the special button to swipe, if it connects, you see a cutscene of Ridley scraping the victims against the wall

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Sakurai pretty much created the "wall-scraping" move that Ridley seems to be known for, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was his Final Smash.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The most obvious choice for a Ridley FS, assuming the character is Vanilla Riddles McRiddles, is Meta Ridley.

He has infinite flight time and is obviously much more powerful. Or he could just control as an actual boss.

(I just got here by the way.)

majora_787

Smash Hero
There are never enough super transformation final smashes. We obviously need to go meta and give every final smash transformation a final smash transformation.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I could see him also getting something Captain Falcon style. He gets the smash ball, press the special button to swipe, if it connects, you see a cutscene of Ridley scraping the victims against the wall
I was thinking this so well. Bravo sir, you win.

Top Bottom