• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Steelia

Smash Champion
I think I'd have mild-to-severe chest pains if they made a canonical counterpart to Giga Bowser in the form of Giga Ridley.

Not even as a Final Smash. Just a Smash-exclusive boss for Classic/Adventure Mode.
Sounds like something that would be labeled on the back of the game box. "WARNING: Encountering 'Giga Ridley' in Adventure Mode may cause moderate to severe chest pains."

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't be fun to spam Missiles/Meson Bombs (basically portable/projectile Power Bombs) as Meta Ridley.

The irony of using that against Samus would be delicious.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
Whoa, quite the crowd in here.

You know, the idea of Ridley in Super Smash Bros has started to grow on me. Personally, I have always had a neutral viewpoint towards the subject. I also have a feeling he might actually be playable--mine reason being, you'd think that if he really was only a stage boss, Sakurai would have made that quite clear during April's Smash Direct, instead of just showing a glimpse of his wings and tail. The man loves suspense and mind games, after all. Same with Palutena; if she was not playable character, then I think Sakurai would have shown off her trophy instead of Pseudo Palutena's. I think the Pyrosphere stage will function similarly to the Spirit Tracks stage (with Alfonzo appearing in Toon Link's place if he is in the match), in that Ridley WILL appear as a stage boss, but if a player is using Ridley, someone else will appear as a stage boss, maybe a giant Space Pirate Commando or something.

After watching the following video, I can definitely see how Ridley could be unique. FYI: I have only played the Metroid Prime trilogy and Metroid: Other M.

Ridley could be the exact opposite of Little Mac; he could be very sluggish, clumsy, and vulnerable on the ground, but an absolute nightmare in the air. He could also have SEVERAL midair jumps--the most in the game--and be like Yoshi in that his up-special wouldn't do much for recovery since his jumps already provide supreme recovery as is. In the air, he could easily recover from even the most powerful attacks and suffer very little, if any, knockback, and be practically invulnerable to Meteor Smashes--but on the ground, he would be super easy to side-screen or Star KO once his damage is high enough. If this is the case, I might just consider maining Ridley, since I love to fight in the air.
According to the video the pogo- stick mechanic seems quite fun. Edit: Although a plasma beam mechanic might seem very fitting.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Sakurai pretty much created the "wall-scraping" move that Ridley seems to be known for, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was his Final Smash.
I was thinking about that, but since all other Final Smashes allow you to catch multiple characters in it, I don't see this happening.

By personal favourite would be some sort of Space Pirate raid, but wouldn't be surprised if they went with some sort of transformation like Mecha/Omega Ridley

Zynux

Smash Lord
There are never enough super transformation final smashes. We obviously need to go meta and give every final smash transformation a final smash transformation.
So they'll be able to unleash a Final Finale Smash?

But, if that has a Final Smash as well, then they could unleash the Final Finale Encore Smashes!

Of course, this is just the normal forms. Every Final smash iteration has a Meta- form as well.

--------------

Raid/Mook Final Smash would be great showing off Ridley's being a Commandant, with Zebesian/Urtraghus Pirates ambushing while Zebesian Pirate Ships, Shrike Class Assault Skiffs, or Space Pirate Armored Tactical Carriers swooping in for devastation.

A Falcon-like/megaman-ish smash could work too, one where it is more of a cutscene if it connects. I figured one that could work is Ridley scrapping you against the wall down an elevator shaft-like room (similar to Brawl/Prime 3).

If Ridley's final smash is him transforming into Meta/Omega Ridley then the Smash Ball would need to be dubbed the "Transformers: This isn't even my final form" Ball.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
How would you guys feel if Meta-Ridley was his own character similar to Lucina?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Guys, Corocoro will NOT reveal any new characters http://www.thegamingpixelshow.com/corocoro-talk-smash-bros-3ds-info-revealed/

Also, I saw people acknowledge the 4 trophies, but thet are saying a freaking space pirate would be a better choice than mah boi Ridley, but they didn't know about the music hinting! I'm going to stay undercover for a while, I decided to finally get FE Awakening, but before I go....

Possible Codec calls that involve Ridley? Be it Snake, Little Mac, or anyone, could someone try thinking of what they could do with Ridley in a Codec call?

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Guys, Corocoro will NOT reveal any new characters http://www.thegamingpixelshow.com/corocoro-talk-smash-bros-3ds-info-revealed/

Also, I saw people acknowledge the 4 trophies, but thet are saying a freaking space pirate would be a better choice than mah boi Ridley, but they didn't know about the music hinting! I'm going to stay undercover for a while, I decided to finally get FE Awakening, but before I go....

Possible Codec calls that involve Ridley? Be it Snake, Little Mac, or anyone, could someone try thinking of what they could do with Ridley in a Codec call?
Knew CoroCoro wouldn't reveal any new characters, thought not sure if it was just me hoping Ridley wouldn't be revealed through that, would have been too anti-climatic.

HohnTTD

Smash Cadet
I thought I'd finally contribute something to this thread, via Miiverse.

I thought it was a good idea. Nick doesn't agree I guess. (Also, I'm kinda proud of how Ridley turned out in my doodle, haha.)

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
How would you guys feel if Meta-Ridley was his own character similar to Lucina?
Meta Ridley has an enormous pool of moves to use. Personaly, I wouldn't like it to be a full clone or even Wolf-like. He has plenty of material to be 100% different than regular Ridley.

Speculator

Smash Ace
And they can do that with playable Ridley without making him a bossfight just like bowser, Kingdedede and fanondorf. Also, I love your avatar. It matches your username perfectly.
I would say, Ganondorf is probably the worst example of a boss-to-playable transition in the series, and one of the poorest representations of a character in Smash. Nobody is happy with his depiction because he's Captain Falcon wearing Ganondorf's character model.

Would you be happy if Ridley received that sort of treatment? I don't think I would be, but more to the point I suspect Sakurai might not be either. As the main series villain of Nintendo's third largest franchise, Ganondorf is very much obligatory and therefore can get away with such a shoddy portrayal. It's Ganondorf, he's gotta be there, accurate or not. Ridley is very important to Metroid but Metroid is less important overall, so including a villain is less of a priority (not to say it isn't a priority at all, but it is less so than Zelda).

Some people support Ridley so strongly that ultimately they don't really care how he ends up, which is fine, but I don't believe Sakurai is one of those people. Ridley's appearance in Brawl is probably a good way to gauge how Sakurai thinks Ridley should be portrayed. Whether you agree with him or not, it would be very difficult to accurately recreate that incarnation of Ridley as a playable fighter.

I would still buy the game if Ridley wasn't on it, but if he's teasing just a boss, I'm not going to, it creates false hope, something Sakurai doesn't want, that's why we got a direct confirmation of Chrom's role after the trailer, it would feel like a backstabbing from Sakurai to tease him for a stupid boss, if I wanted to battle Ridley as a boss, I would play Super Metroid, because if that's a boss, it's terrible
I see this idea that Sakurai is 'teasing playable Ridley' a lot, and people questioning why he wouldn't just show him as a boss straight away compared to other deconfirmations, but... are you sure he isn't just trying to, you know, let you down gently? Showing Ridley right away as a boss would hurt and Sakurai probably knows that. Maybe after the direct he was expecting people to go 'well, I guess he's not playable' and start winding down the expectations. It really might not intended as teasing at all.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
... are you sure he isn't just trying to, you know, let you down gently? Showing Ridley right away as a boss would hurt and Sakurai probably knows that. Maybe after the direct he was expecting people to go 'well, I guess he's not playable' and start winding down the expectations. It really might not intended as teasing at all.
Hm, would that be any better? Why would only Ridley supporters get such a treatment? Waluigi, Dark Samus, Midna, Skull Kid (I goddamn wanted it as much as Ridley) were outright confirmed to be not playable. Those characters have a fanbase too. If you go to the dentist and one teeth has to be pulled out, would you prefer to have it done with one strong pull or with many little pulls, over a year, one per day?

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
If Sakurai's "trying to let us down gently", he sure is doing it wrong.

Getting our hopes up for nothing through teasing and lack of information just makes it worse =/

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I see this idea that Sakurai is 'teasing playable Ridley' a lot, and people questioning why he wouldn't just show him as a boss straight away compared to other deconfirmations, but... are you sure he isn't just trying to, you know, let you down gently? Showing Ridley right away as a boss would hurt and Sakurai probably knows that. Maybe after the direct he was expecting people to go 'well, I guess he's not playable' and start winding down the expectations. It really might not intended as teasing at all.
There is no way anyone at Nintendo could think most people looking forward to see Ridley in the game took the August PotD and April direct as full deconfirmation. Sakurai knows full well the internet would go nuts over every tiny detail. The people who blindly accepted the hint are the ones who already werent invested into the character that much. Hazardley should have been confirmed and shown a long time ago, also seeing the way Sakurai typically deconfirms some NPCs, I dont think he really cares about the character's fanbase, taking jabs at Waluigi, Dedene and Chrom for instance.
(Not saying this is proof of playable Ridley btw)

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I would say, Ganondorf is probably the worst example of a boss-to-playable transition in the series, and one of the poorest representations of a character in Smash. Nobody is happy with his depiction because he's Captain Falcon wearing Ganondorf's character model.
You're forgetting that Ganondorf was only included because he had a similar build to Captain Falcon and was an easy clone. That's literally impossible to do with Ridley.

If Sakurai's "trying to let us down gently", he sure is doing it wrong.

Getting our hopes up for nothing through teasing and lack of information just makes it worse =/
This. There's NO WAY he's "letting us down gently." He's been not saying a ****ing word on Ridley. He never even name dropped Ridley at all. That's teasing, not "trying to let us down gently."

NatP

Smash Ace
If Sakurai wanted to let us down gently, he'd have done a Pic of the Day one or two weeks after the "shadow" direct, explicitly saying Ridley was a boss on Pyrosphere stage and that would be the end of it. And yet...

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
There is no way anyone at Nintendo could think most people looking forward to see Ridley in the game took the August PotD and April direct as full deconfirmation. Sakurai knows full well the internet would go nuts over every tiny detail. The people who blindly accepted the hint are the ones who already werent invested into the character that much. Hazardley should have been confirmed and shown a long time ago, also seeing the way Sakurai typically deconfirms some NPCs, I dont think he really cares about the character's fanbase, taking jabs at Waluigi, Dedene and Chrom for instance.
It's all about seeing what you want to see, people who weren't supporters of Ridley or didn't think he would get in were more accepting of taking what Sakurai was suggesting at face value, where people who supported him thought there was more too it than we were lead to believe. Then there's been examples like Palutena having a similar treatment, yet being revealed as playable, though we haven't had any more evidence supporting hazard Ridley.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
That would be rather silly.
First of all, Sakurai stated he doesn't like creating fake hype. If he waits with revealing Ridley as a boss, then he would basically be contradicting that sentiment.
Secondly, Sakurai so far has explicitly deconfirmed characters that are not playable. Once again, he does not want to create false hype, yet could have easily done so by leaving a sentence or two out of the PoTDs.
And let's not forget this: an immediate deconfirmation would have stung, yes, but all the hype would stop there. But a deconfirmation a few months later, after blatantly teasing the character, would mean that all that hope we accumulated during those months would be instantly crushed. What would be worse?

So, either Sakurai is hyping Ridley as a playable character, or hyping him as a boss.

Last edited:

alanswindoll

Smash Cadet
That would be rather silly.
First of all, Sakurai stated he doesn't like creating fake hype. If he waits with revealing Ridley as a boss, then he would basically be contradicting that sentiment.
Secondly, Sakurai so far has explicitly deconfirmed characters that are not playable. Once again, he does not want to create false hype, yet could have easily done so by leaving a sentence or two out of the PoTDs.
And let's not forget this: an immediate deconfirmation would have stung, yes, but all the hype would stop there. But a deconfirmation a few months later, after blatantly teasing the character, would mean that all that hope we accumulated during those months would be instantly crushed. What would be worse?

So, either Sakurai is hyping Ridley as a playable character, or hyping him as a boss.
Yes, maybe the reason he hasn't revealed him yet is because they haven't finished fully implementing and polishing Ridley for his appearance as a boss on Pyrosphere. I hope he's a playable character and might still be, but Sakurai definitely wanted us to think that Ridley is the boss of the Pyrosphere. So for him to be hyping him as a boss and then being a playable character would be creating "fake hype", aka trolling.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yes, maybe the reason he hasn't revealed him yet is because they haven't finished fully implementing and polishing Ridley for his appearance as a boss on Pyrosphere. I hope he's a playable character and might still be, but Sakurai definitely wanted us to think that Ridley is the boss of the Pyrosphere. So for him to be hyping him as a boss and then being a playable character would be creating "fake hype", aka trolling.
Where do you get that idea from? Its not "fake hype" to tease an extremely popularly requested character as a boss and later make him playable. That's the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard in my life. THAT is grasping at straws.

And this notion that the "Ridley is unfinished" idea has been debunked ages ago. Pyrosphere was announced almost a year ago now, and was probably finished a long time before it was first shown off. The notion that Ridley is "unfinished" is LUDICROUS. Its impossible. There is NO WAY Ridley is "merely unfinished" if he's just a boss. Taking this long to properly balance Ridley as a playable character?

Yes, yes, that's definitely possible. But the boss would've been finished long before the direct if that was the case, and why make a tiny Ridley as a boss?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
CoroCoro have updated a statement:
GoNintendo said:
CoroCoro has revised an announcement they originally made about Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS. The site originally stated that there would be a feature revealing all the Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS stages. Now the site has been updated to state that CoroCoro will be revealing all the stages/characters that we've seen thus far. In other words, a major recap of all the content previously shared by Nintendo. Thanks to Bellboy for the heads up!
So no doubt Pyrosphere will be there, let's hope that Ridley isn't featured on it.
I assume they'd only mention what has been actually confirmed by Sakurai, and not any speculations or implied info in regards to Ridley's role?

alanswindoll

Smash Cadet
Where do you get that idea from? Its not "fake hype" to tease an extremely popularly requested character as a boss and later make him playable. That's the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard in my life. THAT is grasping at straws.

And this notion that the "Ridley is unfinished" idea has been debunked ages ago. Pyrosphere was announced almost a year ago now, and was probably finished a long time before it was first shown off. The notion that Ridley is "unfinished" is LUDICROUS. Its impossible. There is NO WAY Ridley is "merely unfinished" if he's just a boss. Taking this long to properly balance Ridley as a playable character?

Yes, yes, that's definitely possible. But the boss would've been finished long before the direct if that was the case, and why make a tiny Ridley as a boss?
Whoa. Relax.

I was challenging the notion of "fake hype" from the previous post. That's why I put it in quotes. Also, Pyrosphere is one of the stages that, even though it was revealed early in trailers and screenshots of the game, was not featured in the E3 build of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, whereas a level that was announced more recently, Mushroom Kingdom U, was featured in the demo.

Clearly they deliberately left out Pyrosphere from E3 but the question is why? Are they hiding the fact the Ridley is not the boss of Pyrosphere, being in fact a playable character? Or are they taking more time to work on balancing, tweaks, and polish of Ridley on Pyrosphere? The latter situation is similar to how they did not reveal Yoshi until April because Sakurai said they were making changes to Yoshi's design and he wanted to make sure they revealed Yoshi when he was ready to be shown off.

But I hope Ridley is playable and not simply a boss. If he is a boss, I hope that doesn't prevent him from being playable, like Toon Link is playable but appears on Spirit Tracks if no one is playing as him.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
CoroCoro have updated a statement:

So no doubt Pyrosphere will be there, let's hope that Ridley isn't featured on it.
I assume they'd only mention what has been actually confirmed by Sakurai, and not any speculations or implied info in regards to Ridley's role?
Well, that's that, then. Either Ridley gets revealed before it or CoroCoro isn't going to bring up Ridley at all.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So, let me compile the list of evidence (as far as my knowledge goes) of Ridley being in the game.
  • No Deconfirmation: Sakurai has not explicitly deconfirmed Ridley, unlike other characters which have been debunked immediately. Instead, he has teased us with a shadow, and didn't even mention him by name. "Boss character" is also very conveniently ambiguous, as it might refer to his status as a boss in the Metroid series.
  • Shadow Analysis: And a whole lot of these too. Apparently, despite a certain popular memetic phrase, Ridley appears to be a little smaller than expected. Bowser-ish size, correct? That is suspiciously small for a boss.
  • Trophy Theory: Four trophies, each representing a franchise. Two got new characters, two have yet to receive anything. One of them is Metroid. Possibly coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if this were intentional.
  • Character Animations: The animations that Ridley uses do not have smooth transitions, which is more in line with characters than with bosses.
  • Bad Boss: The Ridley shown in the Direct did...not very much. He was slow, just flew from left to right and didn't attack at all. Now remember that the Yellow Devil boss acts pretty much like the Yellow Devil in the Mega Man series, down to the pattern and weak spot. Now look at some Ridley boss footage. The Ridley shown in the Direct makes for a very bad boss indeed.
Let's be honest here. What evidence was there for Ridley pre-Brawl? Hell, what evidence is there for OTHER characters? I might be punished by the gods for uttering these words (and by haters if Ridley turns out not to be in the game), but I believe that Ridley is the most likely, of all other non-veteran characters, to get in the game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I believe that Ridley is the most likely, of all other non-veteran characters, to get in the game.
Frankly I couldn't agree more (followed directly by King K. Rool :p). There's too much evidence going for Ridley right now.

And frankly, detractors? What reason do you have to argue with us, anyway? We believe Ridley is playable. If you don't, that's fine. Its not going to matter, you're not going to change our minds, and we're not going to change yours. Why don't you just wait until the game is out and Ridley isn't playable to laugh in our faces? Wouldn't that be better than trying to constantly argue this?

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Ridley definitely has the most going for him right now. We've got: Trophy Quiz, Shadow, the fact that the majority of Metroid games were released in August (last chance for them to do a Direct), and so much more. What do the other characters have going for them so far in terms of evidence? Not as much as Ridley.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that with "fake hype", I meant hype for the possiblity of a character being playable (sorry if this seems like i am moving my goalposts about or anything). Like Sakurai said in the link, he doesn't want needless discussion and hype for something that doesn't exist. People don't get hyped for bosses, they get hyped for characters. So why would Sakurai tease Ridley, a character that has been high on our wishlist since Melee? Why would he not even mention him by name? Why would he only show a shadow, a shadow that reveal the animations are entirely unbosslike, not to mention the behaviour is all off considering the boss is supposed to be representative of the boss fights from the original series? Why would he contradict himself?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ridley definitely has the most going for him right now. We've got: Trophy Quiz, Shadow, the fact that the majority of Metroid games were released in August (last chance for them to do a Direct), and so much more. What do the other characters have going for them so far in terms of evidence? Not as much as Ridley.
King K. Rool has Kremlings and rumors about Krusha, a larger Kremling in Smash Run (indicating a much larger Kremling presence than we previously thought), no new DK stages announced yet (hinting at potentially getting a DK trailer featuring them), suspicious lack of villains (Ridley and K. Rool are really the only real options for new and unique villains anyway), and the fact that DK is severely lacking in playable reps.

But Ridley actually has stuff in-game that hints at him, because we've seen him (partially). All of the hints and teases really do indicate Ridley is playable, while K. Rool is kinda... there's nothing against him and Kremlings being back is suspicious, but nothing else. Ridley's got tons to work with. So yeah, here's hoping we get both in August.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
King K. Rool has Kremlings and rumors about Krusha, a larger Kremling in Smash Run (indicating a much larger Kremling presence than we previously thought), no new DK stages announced yet (hinting at potentially getting a DK trailer featuring them), suspicious lack of villains (Ridley and K. Rool are really the only real options for new and unique villains anyway), and the fact that DK is severely lacking in playable reps.

But Ridley actually has stuff in-game that hints at him, because we've seen him (partially). All of the hints and teases really do indicate Ridley is playable, while K. Rool is kinda... there's nothing against him and Kremlings being back is suspicious, but nothing else. Ridley's got tons to work with. So yeah, here's hoping we get both in August.
It was intended to be a rhetorical question...

But hey, the more evidence the better! I'm a huge supporter of K Rool, so I've known about the Kremlings in smash run, and the rumors about Krusha. Also, does anyone else find it odd that Bowser is the only consistent (Not DK/Pokemon) villain revealed so far?

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I'll just leave this here

The things I do to keep up with this thread.

Effective immediately, ANY off topic character/leak/whatever discussion gets warned. No exceptions. This isn't the Ghiranim, Dark whatever, or Metroid General Discussion thread. Furthermore, any leaks not having to pertain with Ridley (as in DIRECTLY mentioning him, not just "x being fake/true means Ridley is much more likely!") do not need to be brought up here. Nor does everyone who has differing opinions need to be told to leave/stop "trolling."

Last edited:

alanswindoll

Smash Cadet
Keep in mind that with "fake hype", I meant hype for the possiblity of a character being playable (sorry if this seems like i am moving my goalposts about or anything). Like Sakurai said in the link, he doesn't want needless discussion and hype for something that doesn't exist. People don't get hyped for bosses, they get hyped for characters. So why would Sakurai tease Ridley, a character that has been high on our wishlist since Melee? Why would he not even mention him by name? Why would he only show a shadow, a shadow that reveal the animations are entirely unbosslike, not to mention the behaviour is all off considering the boss is supposed to be representative of the boss fights from the original series? Why would he contradict himself?
Yes, I know what you mean with fake hype. Look there are two valid interpretations of the "Ridley Shadow" shown on Pyrosphere:

1. Sakurai strongly hinted at Ridley being a boss on Pyrosphere similar to Yellow Devil being a boss on Wily Castle.

2. Sakurai strongly hinted at Ridley being a boss on Pyrosphere to throw us off, and in fact Ridley is playable.

In the first scenario, he is hinting at but not ready to show Ridley as a boss on Pyrosphere. In the second scenario he is hinting at Ridley as a boss to make us assume that he is a boss when he is actually a playable character.

In both scenarios, Sakurai is teasing Ridley as being a boss, either because its true or as a trick because he is actually a playable character.

In other words, if you think Sakurai does not support "fake hype", i.e. deliberately leaving open speculation of a character being playable, you are ironically going against Ridley's chances, because the only way for Ridley to be in this game after the "Ridley Shadow" is if you believe Sakurai was trolling Ridley fans. I hope he was indeed trolling Ridley fans and that he is a playable character rather than just a boss on Pyrosphere.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Yes, I know what you mean with fake hype. Look there are two valid interpretations of the "Ridley Shadow" shown on Pyrosphere:

1. Sakurai strongly hinted at Ridley being a boss on Pyrosphere similar to Yellow Devil being a boss on Wily Castle.

2. Sakurai strongly hinted at Ridley being a boss on Pyrosphere to throw us off, and in fact Ridley is playable.

In the first scenario, he is hinting at but not ready to show Ridley as a boss on Pyrosphere. In the second scenario he is hinting at Ridley as a boss to make us assume that he is a boss when he is actually a playable character.

In both scenarios, Sakurai is teasing Ridley as being a boss, either because its true or as a trick because he is actually a playable character.

In other words, if you think Sakurai does not support "fake hype", i.e. deliberately leaving open speculation of a character being playable, you are ironically going against Ridley's chances, because the only way for Ridley to be in this game after the "Ridley Shadow" is if you believe Sakurai was trolling Ridley fans. I hope he was indeed trolling Ridley fans and that he is a playable character rather than just a boss on Pyrosphere.
I get your point. I'll have to keep that in mind.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

The point is, there's plenty of other additional evidence to suggest he was in fact trolling. Its not JUST the whole concept of Ridley being teased and hyped up. There's also the shadow and the way he moves, very un-bosslike at all, never saying Ridley's name, and barely saying anything about him, plus Trophy Theory as well. There were plenty of hints at Robin and Palutena, too, though Robin's hints were much more subtle.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So, let me compile the list of evidence (as far as my knowledge goes) of Ridley being in the game.
  • No Deconfirmation: Sakurai has not explicitly deconfirmed Ridley, unlike other characters which have been debunked immediately. Instead, he has teased us with a shadow, and didn't even mention him by name. "Boss character" is also very conveniently ambiguous, as it might refer to his status as a boss in the Metroid series.
  • Shadow Analysis: And a whole lot of these too. Apparently, despite a certain popular memetic phrase, Ridley appears to be a little smaller than expected. Bowser-ish size, correct? That is suspiciously small for a boss.
  • Trophy Theory: Four trophies, each representing a franchise. Two got new characters, two have yet to receive anything. One of them is Metroid. Possibly coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if this were intentional.
  • Character Animations: The animations that Ridley uses do not have smooth transitions, which is more in line with characters than with bosses.
  • Bad Boss: The Ridley shown in the Direct did...not very much. He was slow, just flew from left to right and didn't attack at all. Now remember that the Yellow Devil boss acts pretty much like the Yellow Devil in the Mega Man series, down to the pattern and weak spot. Now look at some Ridley boss footage. The Ridley shown in the Direct makes for a very bad boss indeed.
Let's be honest here. What evidence was there for Ridley pre-Brawl? Hell, what evidence is there for OTHER characters? I might be punished by the gods for uttering these words (and by haters if Ridley turns out not to be in the game), but I believe that Ridley is the most likely, of all other non-veteran characters, to get in the game.
Ok, I can tear this up

Point 1, ok, we have that going for us

Point 2 - potentially worthless. This only is accurate if Ridley is using his exact other M model, and if the distance/angle of the camera is the same in every shot. We don't have info on either of those things; which means we have a large margin of error, which means for all we know Ridley is Brawl sized or bigger.

Point 3 - As you said, could easily be a coincidence.

Point 4 - Not a very strong argument, as it could still easily just be a boss that hadn't had it's final animations smoothed.

Point 5 - Could have easily been scripted for that segment of video. The sound was cut, so it was obviously controlled and purposeful. Wouldn't surprise me.

And Pre Brawl we got Ridley's theme as one of the Daily updates, and Norfair another time. I don't know if you remember, but Pre Brawl dojo was like an encyclopedia of the game, with each update adding a new entry. Taking several days out to update content surrounding Ridley was... a tease.

But let me just say, we know he's in the game, so imo that still makes him the most likely non vet to get in. Other characters could end up being completely ignored, but at least we know Ridley is in somehow.

Good choice. FE:A is amazing. you're gonna love it. best dating sim I've played in a long time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom