• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I've been wondering. Maybe as Ridley's damage percentage rises, his body becomes more and more tattered, just like in Other M. Preferably purely aesthetic, of course.
This was a feature that was planned for brawl for all characters, but was scrapped. We assume it was scrapped due to time constraints. There are some models of damaged characters in the game, including Meta-Knight with cracks appearing on his mask, ect.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
This was a feature that was planned for brawl for all characters, but was scrapped. We assume it was scrapped due to time constraints. There are some models of damaged characters in the game, including Meta-Knight with cracks appearing on his mask, ect.
Huh, interesting. Well, the more you know.
Actually, SSB4 already has this, right? Characters that have taken a lot of damage are visibly steaming and I believe a slightly reddish tone.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
inb4 Sakurai, a week before the Japanese release;
"By the way, I'd like to announce one last character. Visit the Official Website on (insert day before Japanese release here) at 12:00 EST to see the trailer."
and it's Ridley :denzel:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Huh, interesting. Well, the more you know.
Actually, SSB4 already has this, right? Characters that have taken a lot of damage are visibly steaming and I believe a slightly reddish tone.
Well, that feature was actually in Brawl too. Slightly different from model changes, but still interesting.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
I think the August Direct will be something very Wii U specific. The 3DS version has Smash Run and the Wii U version doesn't have any real unique draw to it... so I think there is some big gameplay aspect of the Wii U version that we haven't seen. The current rumors talk about a Wii U boss mode, so maybe we will see Ridley in that respect... and since the rumor also says that Dark Pit is used in this fashion, it would make sense.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I think the August Direct will be something very Wii U specific. The 3DS version has Smash Run and the Wii U version doesn't have any real unique draw to it... so I think there is some big gameplay aspect of the Wii U version that we haven't seen. The current rumors talk about a Wii U boss mode, so maybe we will see Ridley in that respect... and since the rumor also says that Dark Pit is used in this fashion, it would make sense.
I dunno. I don't think we'll see much Wii U specific content until after the 3DS version's release. Afterall, once the 3DS version releases, that's some of the only really new content he can show us.

As for the boss mode rumors, it all sounds pretty fake to me. It feels like the new rumor train, one guy says it, so everyone else jumps on it for validity. I highly doubt that as a mode.

that picture perfectly embodies the term Radical Ridley

we have a winner

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
I dunno. I don't think we'll see much Wii U specific content until after the 3DS version's release. Afterall, once the 3DS version releases, that's some of the only really new content he can show us.

As for the boss mode rumors, it all sounds pretty fake to me. It feels like the new rumor train, one guy says it, so everyone else jumps on it for validity. I highly doubt that as a mode.
When's the next Direct after August? One of them is probably Hyrule Warriors heavy and one of them probably Smash Bros heavy.

But there's seriously gotta be something more to the Wii U version.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
To be fair, the DK series hasn't gotten too much love. In fact, there hasn't been a Wii U stage at all.

Regardless, I'm sure the August Direct is going to be great. Robin ended up having an awesome and epic trailer, so I don't see why we should be disappointed in August.
star fox has been given the same treatment except dk at least has both of its veterans. Im honestly expecting a dk themed trailer and a star fox themed trailer as well as a villain one.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
HOW DARE YOU COMMIT SUCH TRIVIAL MISTAKE!

YOU'LL BE FED TO THE RIDLEY-DILES!
I FEEL LIKE SUCH A NEWB

ITS LIKE USING ITS INSTEAD OF IT'S LIKE IN THIS SENTENCE

you crazy
not enough skateboard dude
He ate it before the drawing

2 rad 4 you

When's the next Direct after August? One of them is probably Hyrule Warriors heavy and one of them probably Smash Bros heavy.

But there's seriously gotta be something more to the Wii U version.
I'm sure there is. We haven't seen any exclusive features to it, yet the 3DS has the huge smash run mode exclusive. There's definitely gotta be something extra going on with the Wii U one. I don't actually know any of the Nintendo direct dates, I thought even the one for August was just an educated guess at this point?

domokl

Smash Lord
Technically in melee mewtwo is portrayed as a villian in the smash universe so he would be in the villians trailer

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
PRISON IS TOO UGLY FOR YOU

Also, as I've only joined recently, might I ask why double posting is such a bad thing? Considered as spam, I suppose?
I WONT LAST A DAY

Yeah, it's super easy to edit your reply, so if you have something else to say, and no one has posted yet, you should just edit it into your previous reply. I just had multiple tabs up and confused myself xD

Last edited:

Mistermagius

Smash Cadet
I WONT LAST A DAY

Yeah, it's super easy to edit your reply, so if you have something else to say, and no one has posted yet, you should just edit it into your previous reply. I just had multiple tabs up and confused myself xD
PRISON ITSELF WOULDNT BE ABLE TO CONTAIN YOUR BEAUTY ANYWAYS

Ah, thanks for the heads up! I'll need to keep that in mind. :3

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
August seems to be the most logical time. Forgetting the anniversaries, the only other character with any foreshadowing was a Fire Emblem rep. And its doubtful that we'd get yet another Kid Icarus trailer so soon after Palutena. Well, a new Zelda rep might happen, but too many stars are aligning for it not to be Ridley.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
August seems to be the most logical time. Forgetting the anniversaries, the only other character with any foreshadowing was a Fire Emblem rep. And its doubtful that we'd get yet another Kid Icarus trailer so soon after Palutena. Well, a new Zelda rep might happen, but too many stars are aligning for it not to be Ridley.
Well, to be fair, Ridley is so big that he is constantly aligned with every star.

D

Deleted member

So, if Snake is back, what would Ridley's codec call be like?
"Colonel, what is this dragon doing here?"
"That's Ridley, Snake. Be careful, despite his appearence, he's very intelligent"
"He may be, but that purple color won't persuade me."
"Snake, you should know to not understimate your opponent, Ridley is a big deal, just as dangerous as a room full of Metroids"
"Okay, fine, I'll try to be more careful, I just wonder how he got inside here, I don't think he would fit through the door"
"I think you should ask this about Bowser..."
(codecs are the only reason I want Snake to return)

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
This is the coolest.

Oh, and this was probably brought up. But I don't want to sift through 30 pages, this person makes some pretty good points about Ridley being in Smash based on the evidence, like comparing his shadow in the teaser video to Mega Man's shadow in the same stage. http://i.imgur.com/sZnRWJE.jpg

This convinced me he's in! Cased closed, pack up your things everyone. Come on into the Geno thread. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think we should pay attention to the trophy quiz theory, FE and KI were franchises we pretty much knew would be getting a newcomer, just like Metroid, but if we et a Zelda newcomer...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I don't think we should pay attention to the trophy quiz theory, FE and KI were franchises we pretty much knew would be getting a newcomer, just like Metroid, but if we et a Zelda newcomer...
I didn't think KI was going to get a newcomer

they've had 1 game since the classics, and more aren't planned

wasn't deserved imo

FE however was obviously getting a newcomer.

There were no Zelda newcomers in brawl (counting tl as a reworked yl), so idk, maybe.

and of course I hope Metroid gets another

Last edited:

NatP

Smash Ace
Zelda will have FIVE characters, including Ganondorf. If they simply revamp Ganondorf, that is already the perfect Zelda line-up. No need for a Skyward Sword rep.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, it's kind of a bad time for me because there's too much overhype possibilities.

Metroid has several anniversaries in August so it raises reveal potentials in the speculated direct.

Paper Mario has 2 anniversaries; one in August (it's the 11 which is one of the speculated week to get a direct likely) and the other is next Tuesday (TTYD so no newcomer but POTD?)

Why Sakurai is doing this to me?

Like those are the only newcomers I care.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Have you played it?
I own it, yeah. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a well made game. I found it a little repetitive at times, but hey, to each his own. The multiplayer was fun and I enjoyed the item variety.

I still don't think a single game justifies 2 reps in smash. It holds almost no heft in terms of heavy hitting Nintendo series.

That being said, I love anything included in Sm4sh regardless of what it is. Palutena looks hella hype, I can't wait to try her.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
My favorite argument is when people say that "Ridley isn't iconic enough to be in Smash".

Then they go on to praise characters like Palutena and Robin.

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Zelda will have FIVE characters, including Ganondorf. If they simply revamp Ganondorf, that is already the perfect Zelda line-up. No need for a Skyward Sword rep.
People say Ghirahim would be the next best Zelda newcomer, but honestly, we'll probably never see him in a main Zelda game again. I would think Impa makes the most sense, since she's the most recurring non-Triforce character. Most people think she would be a clone of Sheik, but seeing Lucina makes me think that won't matter if she's changed a little. We'll see in due time, though. I definitely think it would seem weird to get Ridley and then leave out a Zelda newcomer, though.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
People say Ghirahim would be the next best Zelda newcomer, but honestly, we'll probably never see him in a main Zelda game again. I would think Impa makes the most sense, since she's the most recurring non-Triforce character. Most people think she would be a clone of Sheik, but seeing Lucina makes me think that won't matter if she's changed a little. We'll see in due time, though. I definitely think it would seem weird to get Ridley and then leave out a Zelda newcomer, though.
I mean, sheik hasn't really been a mainstay character in the zelda franchise, yet she keeps re-appearing in smash, even being cut completely separate from zelda this game. I could see it happening to Ghirahim too. I would just prefer beast ganon as a character xD. Idk if we can take the trophy thing seriously. I could see Sakurai doing it purposely, but I could also see it as a big coincidence. *shrug*

D

Deleted member

My favorite argument is when people say that "Ridley isn't iconic".

Well to be fair, while Robin himself isn't exactly "iconic" the idea of a "player tactician" has been a part of FE for a long time.

While certainly, Robin is the most recent one (with the most customizability), other MU (My Unit) characters have been in past FE titles, Kris for example was the tactician the player used in the FE: Mystery of the Emblem remake (and the first one to be involved in fights) while in FE Rekka no Ken (FE 7) the player acted as a tactician (default name Mark), Lyn finding you unconscious in the plains to start the game; the tactician in 7 wasn't involved in the fights (in fact was technically an NPC), but still was addressed directly by some of the characters throughout the story (although the tactician here was not usually on screen like Robin was).

So while Robin may be the most customizable/most recent/notable example of this tactician theme (given her deep importance to the plot of Awakening), the tactician idea has been around in FE for a while now and has gradually become a major part of the series.

I can see the point you're making though.

How people come to the conclusion that a character being in almost every game of a series and being deeply tied to the protagonist of a series =/= "Iconic" for that series astounds me.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I own it, yeah. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a well made game. I found it a little repetitive at times, but hey, to each his own. The multiplayer was fun and I enjoyed the item variety.

I still don't think a single game justifies 2 reps in smash. It holds almost no heft in terms of heavy hitting Nintendo series.

That being said, I love anything included in Sm4sh regardless of what it is. Palutena looks hella hype, I can't wait to try her.
Gotta 'gree with that. Palutena has some insane range. IF Sakurai decided to throw in another rep anyway, I actually hope it isn't Hades. As great as he might be as a character, having a Devestation Ensemble stage would be beautiful.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
STAY ON TOPIC GUISE

My favorite argument is when people say that "Ridley isn't iconic".

To be fair, Robin at least isn't a blue-haired swordsman, and represents the magic and strategy portion of FE. Just like how Ridley represents the aliens and Space Pirates that antagonize Aran. Difference is, Ridley himself keeps showing up due to sheer tenacity, whereas FE characters are more generational.
Palutena, yeah, that's a bit of Sakurai favoritism, but the guy has expressed enough fear of representing his own series to resist putting Dedede in for a couple games. And if he's afraid of favoring certain series over others, there's little chance of him of adding someone like Dark Pit over Medusa, or even having no new reps at all.

Actually, having 2 KI rep trailers in a row seems unlikely.
Adding to the list of reasons why a villain trailer might happen.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
STAY ON TOPIC GUISE
Trophy theory -> New Metroid character -> Ridley

Trophy theory validity -> Validity of a new Zelda character -> Gharhim?

Trophy theory validity -> coincidence -> Were KI and FE going to get reps regardless

Basically on topic subsides of everything in those 4 franchises and gematsu

as long as we can bring it all back to the topic of Ridley's in the same post, like I am doing in this sentence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom