• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

phaazoid said: "I for one really want to see how Sakurai works in facial expressions for Ridley. We've seen much more emoting this time around, I really hope we get to see it for Ridley"

This is one of my biggest reasons to doubt. I still think Ridley has a good chance with all the teasing and lack of closure from Sakurai, but he hasn’t been shown to be a very expressive character in his history, which may prove to be a challenge in his design. I can’t really picture Ridley showing pain when he’s getting pummeled or having a fearful expression when Capt. Falcon has grabbed him and is about to feed him a knee to the face. I mean I’m not saying this is an impossible hurdle for Sakurai to overcome, but it is a hurdle none the less. What do you guys think?
Well:
Ganondorf in TP:

Ganondorf in SSBB:

While certainly he isn't incredibly expressive, he still manages to have some "quirky" or slightly uncharacteristic facial expressions when he is getting hit.

I don't think Ridley would need to be incredibly expressive (at the level of someone like Mario, Sonic, etc. who's not stern all the time). He doesn't need to make a cliched "pain" face like some characters, he could just do something subtle, like Ganondorf does, while still remaining fairly true to his canon personality in the Metroid games, for the most part.

EDIT: :4greninja:

Last edited by a moderator:

avgjoe

Smash Cadet
Well, he did the same for characters like Charizard and Ganondorf. I mean, before Ganon was in Smash could you ever imagine him being grabbed by Jiggs and then having a scared look on his face?
yah i guess, but i would probably say that Ganondorf is very close to a human in his design which allows for fairly easy expression of emotion. I know that Ganondorf’s character isn’t one to normally show fear but his design allows for the possibity quite well. Charizard maybe not as much as Ganondorf, but he still has big expressive eyes and a fairly regular mouth for expressing emotion

you know, i was just thinking of Samus and ROB. they turned out just fine and they have virtually no emotional expression so NVM. Just that much easier to believe in Ridley now. :colorful:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Well:
Ganondorf in TP:

Ganondorf in SSBB:

While certainly he isn't incredibly expressive, he still manages to have some "quirky" or slightly uncharacteristic facial expressions when he is getting hit.

I don't think Ridley would need to be incredibly expressive (at the level of someone like Mario, Sonic, etc. who's not stern all the time). He doesn't need to make a cliched "pain" face like some characters, he could just do something subtle, like Ganondorf does, while still remaining fairly true to his canon personality in the Metroid games, for the most part.

EDIT: :4greninja:
"Drat, how could I forget! Fighting type is strong against Dark type!"

All that Ridley would need to be expressive is adjustable eyebrows (or eyeridges in his case) and the corners of his mouth need to be a bit curve-able. Then we could get that deliciously sadistic Ridley from the manga.

@ avgjoe avgjoe Hey dude, welcome to our humble (and somewhat oversized) support thread. Don't drink the water, thank you.
Also, it's recommended to use the edit button if you want to reply to someone else after posting. It...keeps the thread spam clean I guess?

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
If Ganondorf can look fine being bapped around by small children and pokemon then Ridley doesn't have an issue. I'd call Ganondorf a MUCH darker and more serious villain.

D

Deleted member

If Ganondorf can look fine being bapped around by small children and pokemon then Ridley doesn't have an issue. I'd call Ganondorf a MUCH darker and more serious villain.
Well Ganondorf does use dark magic so of course he'd be super dark.

:troll:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I'd imagine Ridley's pain expression would just be like wide-eyes with smaller pupils. Maybe have his tongue flailing about as well.

NatP

Smash Ace
Besides, if Ridley gets a reveal trailer, he should have it to himself. He's too big to share
I've thought about this one too! It should totally be this: It begins with Samus exploring some random planet, when suddenly she's attacked by something! Some metroids show up! She freezes them then she takes them out. She breathes a sigh of relief when suddenly! She hears something! And the trailer starts playing some drums in the backgrounds (some VERY familiar drums), and that's when Samus realizes who it is and she goes into serious mode! She starts scanning her surrondings in hopes of finding the source of those noises but she finds nothing! And right when she starts to ease up, BAM RIDLEY OUT OF NOWHERE!! And then he roars at the screen, and the splash screen shows up! "RIDLEY FINALLY JOINS THE BATTLE" (this one is pretty crappy, I'm sure they'll come up with something better if it happens)

And then it's standard gameplay showcasing Ridley ending with his final smash (Meta Ridley transformation?). And then after it ends, they tease someone else (no idea who it could be though). But yeah, this is my dream trailer (which is why it'll probably never happen).

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I know in reality that Ridley ins't that expressive....less is Roidley....but I like to take advantage of Ridley's eyes to make different expressions on him that in a model may be hard to do....and it is fun to come up with those even if they aren't so complex....

32A571_0D8F8254ED5D4_000.gif

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley eats parents, mind you.
Ganondorf attempted to starve the gorons to death to get the goron ruby and later abducted them to ritualistically sacrifice their entire race to Volvagia. He also froze the entire Zora race in ice, gave parasites to TWO protectors in hyrule, and eradicated hyrule castle town and filled it with the undead in the span of one game. Ridley killing Samus' parents is kind of tame compared to multiple instances of what qualify as genocide attempts, I'd imagine.

And of course this all isn't accounting for Ganon being the reincarnation of the hatred of a demon king from the depths of hell whose goal in life is to kill the families of everyone for all of time to ever be associated with the descendants of the goddess Hylia and her chosen hero.

Then he goes off in his free time to put on a bunny hood and frolic around with a flower before getting mugged by small children and cute forest creatures. And that's fine. But if *RIDLEY* were in that position? WOW NO WAY MAN NOT POSSIBLE ECKSDEE

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ganondorf attempted to starve the gorons to death to get the goron ruby and later abducted them to ritualistically sacrifice their entire race to Volvagia. He also froze the entire Zora race in ice, gave parasites to TWO protectors in hyrule, and eradicated hyrule castle town and filled it with the undead in the span of one game. Ridley killing Samus' parents is kind of tame compared to multiple instances of what qualify as genocide attempts, I'd imagine.

And of course this all isn't accounting for Ganon being the reincarnation of the hatred of a demon king from the depths of hell whose goal in life is to kill the families of everyone for all of time to ever be associated with the descendants of the goddess Hylia and her chosen hero.
And worse of all, he's a Falcon clone!

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Smash really show how intimidating Ganondorf can be

Ridley is going to be an even more fearsome sight.
EEP
i peed a little

Also, yes. Bunny hood Ridley + Lip's Stick + Mini Mushroom.
Is the spicy food thing also still in the game? I can't wait for Ridley grasping its maw in pain as searing hot curry turns his mouth into a flamethrower.

Despite the fact he does that all the bloody time.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'd imagine Ridley's pain expression would just be like wide-eyes with smaller pupils. Maybe have his tongue flailing about as well.
The thought of Ridley's tongue flailing as he's sent flying by a baseball bat should be reasonable enough to warrant his inclusion. No kidding.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Then he goes off in his free time to put on a bunny hood and frolic around with a flower before getting mugged by small children and cute forest creatures. And that's fine. But if *RIDLEY* were in that position? WOW NO WAY MAN NOT POSSIBLE ECKSDEE
It w-was a...joke :(:(:(

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
What would Ridley's introduction be? I think it should be "Ridley Squeezes In!" but I don't know.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Probably would just be the letter "R" with half of a letter "I" that would take up the entire picture. He IS too big after all. :troll:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
My personal favorite introduction came from a conversation from Andrea about whether Ridley should share a newcomer spot with anyone else.

Ridley: triumphant roars
(Zoom out, No one in Pyrosphere to behold his presence)
Ridley: confused roars
(Still no one to see him)
Ridley: sad roars
SADLEY SWOOPS IN!

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Even if there wasn't a villains trailer, keeping Ridley secret would be a waste, the amount of hyper it would generate and well as discussion (whether it's good or bad), would increase the awareness of the game. The only reason I would think Ridley was secret character is if I wanted to hold onto the notion Ridley was in that bad I would lie to myself, and I just don't see that happening to Ridley of all people, Marshall or the Chorus Men yes, but not Ridley no matter how controversial he is.

Wow....ok...thats quite deep...ok this is something i have been thinking about more than anything.

''so the people hanging on to him being a secret unlock is desprate?''

Thats completely fine if you think that its your opnion ofc but like.....thats pretty deep like i was damn certain extremely confident Mewtwo would be announced at E3 it just made to much sense with all the stuff that has been going around with him as you could say the same for Ridley but for a August reveal.

So in general question to everybody:
what is gonna be your stance if Ridley aint revealed in August?is it absurd to hold out hope that he will be the new super secret erection character like mewtwo & to a less extent Wolf were?

Does this mean Mewtwo aint returning?

What if we have a villians trailer with a bunch of vet villians (no mew2) & the newcomer was Girahim?
how would you feel? (for the trophy ppl)

Its generally gonna be seen as people who hold out till release are prostitutes arent they?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
My personal favorite introduction came from a conversation from Andrea about whether Ridley should share a newcomer spot with anyone else.

Ridley: triumphant roars
(Zoom out, No one in Pyrosphere to behold his presence)
Ridley: confused roars
(Still no one to see him)
Ridley: sad roars
SADLEY SWOOPS IN!
=_____= DAMN IT! WHY YOU REMINDED ME OF IT?!

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Please, Ridley has charges of Murder, Unprovoked Assault, Disturbing the Peace, Public Indecency, Murder Again, Inauthorized Property Recoloration, Unflattering Impersonation of an Officer, Reckless Hexplosive Detonation, Destruction of the Peace, Really Petty Larceny, Exorbitant Weapon Size, Some More Murders, Inciting Mass Hysteria, Making Fun of the Peace, Aggravated Jaywalking and Forging of Official Wanted Posters.

D

Deleted member

Bigley is too rid for Smash!
Ridley fits in!
Ridley makes his BIG debut!
Ridley stage hazards in!
Roidley takes steroids!
Ridley Ridley big something!

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Please, Ridley has charges of Murder, Unprovoked Assault, Disturbing the Peace, Public Indecency, Murder Again, Inauthorized Property Recoloration, Unflattering Impersonation of an Officer, Reckless Hexplosive Detonation, Destruction of the Peace, Really Petty Larceny, Exorbitant Weapon Size, Some More Murders, Inciting Mass Hysteria, Making Fun of the Peace, Aggravated Jaywalking and Forging of Official Wanted Posters.
You forgot Arson, Illegal Cloning, Oh My God So Much Murder and Being Too Big. :troll:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
phaazoid said: "I for one really want to see how Sakurai works in facial expressions for Ridley. We've seen much more emoting this time around, I really hope we get to see it for Ridley"

This is one of my biggest reasons to doubt. I still think Ridley has a good chance with all the teasing and lack of closure from Sakurai, but he hasn’t been shown to be a very expressive character in his history, which may prove to be a challenge in his design. I can’t really picture Ridley showing pain when he’s getting pummeled or having a fearful expression when Capt. Falcon has grabbed him and is about to feed him a knee to the face. I mean I’m not saying this is an impossible hurdle for Sakurai to overcome, but it is a hurdle none the less. What do you guys think?
His Brawl head would be very good for expressions IMO, with pupils growing or shrinking, a little rigging here and there to simulate a smile, and so on. Overall, I think he should've been based on his whole Brawl model, designed to be more cartoony.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Unauthorized consumption of parents.

His Brawl head would be very good for expressions IMO, with pupils growing or shrinking, a little rigging here and there to simulate a smile, and so on. Overall, I think he should've been based on his whole Brawl model, designed to be more cartoony.
Never really liked that model. The eyes are too big and too wide-open, giving too much of an insane-beast vibe.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
At first I was mad because jaywalking wasn't there, but nevermind.

And if Ridley isn't shown in august it'd be pretty obvious to me anyway that they're saving him for post-release. Though with monday I literally never know when to expect a newcomer. Ever.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
At first I was mad because jaywalking wasn't there, but nevermind.

And if Ridley isn't shown in august it'd be pretty obvious to me anyway that they're saving him for post-release. Though with monday I literally never know when to expect a newcomer. Ever.
Eh. He is too much of a hype inducer. I mean, this guy has been wanted since melee. If thread size is anything to judge by, Ridley has a sizable fanbase. If we don't judge it that way, well, he has a bloody meme surrounding him. There is a large chunk off the community that does not believe Ridley can make it in. It's perfect! Sakurai would please a large amount of fans and troll the rest in one fell swoop!

Last edited:

Malle

Smash Apprentice
This is the coolest.

Oh, and this was probably brought up. But I don't want to sift through 30 pages, this person makes some pretty good points about Ridley being in Smash based on the evidence, like comparing his shadow in the teaser video to Mega Man's shadow in the same stage. http://i.imgur.com/sZnRWJE.jpg

This convinced me he's in! Cased closed, pack up your things everyone. Come on into the Geno thread. :p
This is my work, thank you. Glad it convinced you!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
See, I have two big fears

1 - They show Ridley off as a pic of the day as a hazard before the game comes out

2 - They save announcing him as a hazard for content between the 3DS and Wii U launches, so we just hear nothing, and then he's not in the 3DS game...

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
See, I have two big fears

1 - They show Ridley off as a pic of the day as a hazard before the game comes out

2 - They save announcing him as a hazard for content between the 3DS and Wii U launches, so we just hear nothing, and then he's not in the 3DS game...
Then again, they would be teasing a stage hazard.
A bloody stage hazard.

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
what is gonna be your stance if Ridley aint revealed in August?is it absurd to hold out hope that he will be the new super secret erection character like mewtwo & to a less extent Wolf were?

What if we have a villians trailer with a bunch of vet villians (no mew2) & the newcomer was Girahim?

Its generally gonna be seen as people who hold out till release are prostitutes arent they?
Wait what???

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Minus the flame that's sticking on his tail, that Charizard!Ridley doesn't look bad at all. Well, apart from the neck. :/

Am I the only one who never really liked Ridley's "gooseneck lamp" of a neck?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Minus the flame that's sticking on his tail, that Charizard!Ridley doesn't look bad at all. Well, apart from the neck. :/

Am I the only one who never really liked Ridley's "gooseneck lamp" of a neck?
I like the neck, but I do think it looks awkward in that specific picture.

It's one of the reasons I prefer Ridley over Roidley, honestly

Wow....ok...thats quite deep...ok this is something i have been thinking about more than anything.

''so the people hanging on to him being a secret unlock is desprate?''

Thats completely fine if you think that its your opnion ofc but like.....thats pretty deep like i was damn certain extremely confident Mewtwo would be announced at E3 it just made to much sense with all the stuff that has been going around with him as you could say the same for Ridley but for a August reveal.

If Ridley isn't revealed in August, I'll have the same stance. I'm kinda hoping he'll be revealed in August, but I'm also afraid he'll get confirmed as boss status in August. If August passes without either of those things happening, then it's basically a wait for the japanese release :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom