• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

People use "iconic" to refer to "popular with the casual audience".

Like you said, Robin's not iconic as a character, which is the way they're using "iconic".
Agreed.

If you get down to it it really is like this I suppose:

Tactician General Concept in FE?
A decent amount of usages in the franchise's history, spanning from older games to newer ones, becoming somewhat a synonymous term with the series , fairly "iconic" at this point (imo).

Robin as her own character?

Only been in 1 game, "Iconic" for the franchise? Not yet, no.

Ridley? Almost every game in Metroid, influences the hell out of the main storyline.

I think someone would be quite daft to not call him iconic to the Metroid Series.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think the August Direct will be something very Wii U specific. The 3DS version has Smash Run and the Wii U version doesn't have any real unique draw to it... so I think there is some big gameplay aspect of the Wii U version that we haven't seen. The current rumors talk about a Wii U boss mode, so maybe we will see Ridley in that respect... and since the rumor also says that Dark Pit is used in this fashion, it would make sense.
There'll likely be a direct between the 3DS and Wii U launches so I'm guessing that after the 3DS one launches, then we'll hear more about the Wii U specifics.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Caught up on the thread, I was disappointed by the off topic discussion. But whatever.

Gotta say, you guys gotta practice linking detractors in this thread to my post. Not uplifting myself, as I only did the organizing. But I think it does everyone a favor to just tell someone where to go.

Also, anymore 100% necessary posts that need to be added? Stuff that isn't covered by any other post there?
I didn't see it while scrolling through it (not saying it isn't there) but what about this?

I know it can be said that "That doesn't count since he is still giant!" by detractors, but it might be noteworthy to point out that he wouldn't look weird being just a bit bigger then Samus in Smash since it can technically already be done in Brawl. I'd also mention how since they are most likely using the Other M model the whole he's to skinny/lanky and such argument also wouldn't apply too, atleast imo.

Last edited:

Thor_Hammerschlag

Smash Cadet
The Moment in the reveal Trailer when charizard realises That he is Not the biggest Terror in the Sky :006::troll:

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Trophy theory -> New Metroid character -> Ridley

Trophy theory validity -> Validity of a new Zelda character -> Gharhim?

Trophy theory validity -> coincidence -> Were KI and FE going to get reps regardless

Basically on topic subsides of everything in those 4 franchises and gematsu

as long as we can bring it all back to the topic of Ridley's in the same post, like I am doing in this sentence.

Trophy theory validity = Palutena Only comes from Kid Icarus uprising
Trophy theory validity = Robin and Lucina come from the series not just one game

Pretty safe to say most people here are going to bet the Metroid would be Ridley, if the theory holds water, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Trophy theory validity = Palutena Only comes from Kid Icarus uprising
Trophy theory validity = Robin and Lucina come from the series not just one game

Pretty much the state of the conversation atm..

People try to chase down one thing that ends up with people talking about what Zelda rep will be in and why Robin was picked.
Fair enough. We could stand to be more on topic.

I for one really want to see how Sakurai works in facial expressions for Ridley. We've seen much more emoting this time around, I really hope we get to see it for Ridley

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Changed my post, came back from another one and start see Ghriam and Fire Emlblem, which weren't referring back to Ridly so just a bit annoyed >.>

D

Deleted member

I doubt Sakurai would save Ridley for september, at this rate, the full roster will already been leaked

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I doubt Sakurai would save Ridley for september, at this rate, the full roster will already been leaked
Well, assuming that the full roster isn't the rest of gematsu, I'm actually surprised at how well guarded it's been this time around

Brawl's whole roster had been leaked multiple times already this close to it's release.

I didn't believe it because no Ridley, but then someone got a hold of a full copy of the game and found the bosses :(

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Well, assuming that the full roster isn't the rest of gematsu, I'm actually surprised at how well guarded it's been this time around

Brawl's whole roster had been leaked multiple times already this close to it's release.

I didn't believe it because no Ridley, but then someone got a hold of a full copy of the game and found the bosses :(
Brawl's roster was released in October 2007- the game came out 3 months later in Japan. We're in July and the 3DS version launches in 2 months from now. We should've gotten SOMETHING by now...

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
We don't talk about the G word here. It drank the water. We don't talk about people who drink the water.

Anyway I honestly am really torn between whether I think Ridley will see an august reveal or not. I mean it seems Sakurai intends to show all newcomers with trailers pre-launch and I would ASSUME Ridley would get a trailer. But on the other hand, I still seriously think he's riding the troll train alllllll the way. :Y

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Brawl's roster was released in October 2007- the game came out 3 months later in Japan. We're in July and the 3DS version launches in 2 months from now. We should've gotten SOMETHING by now...
I'm personally really happy we don't know. Leaks suck, Sakurai's wild ride is the best ride. Remember, you're here forever.

We don't talk about the G word here. It drank the water. We don't talk about people who drink the water.

Anyway I honestly am really torn between whether I think Ridley will see an august reveal or not. I mean it seems Sakurai intends to show all newcomers with trailers pre-launch and I would ASSUME Ridley would get a trailer. But on the other hand, I still seriously think he's riding the troll train alllllll the way. :Y
Same. August lines up so well with Metroid anniversaries, and a villains trailer, or really any trailer with Ridley would be killer.

But I've thought from the beginning that Ridley would be a secret fighter, because Sakurai is a troll like that.

NatP

Smash Ace
I think that a trailer with a hype newcomer (Shulk? K.Rool?) + a hype returning veteran (Mewtwo? Revamped Ganondorf?) + a HUGE Ridley reveal at the end (essentially Robin style), would be the hypest possible trailer imaginable right before release.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I think that a trailer with a hype newcomer (Shulk? K.Rool?) + a hype returning veteran (Mewtwo? Revamped Ganondorf?) + a HUGE Ridley reveal at the end (essentially Robin style), would be the hypest possible trailer imaginable right before release.
My reaction to that
On a more serious note, I don't see them showing off two non clone newcomers in the same trailer. Lucina was added to Robin's trailer because they are both FE and because she wouldn't merit her own, as an alternate costume who got lucky.

Besides, if Ridley gets a reveal trailer, he should have it to himself. He's too big to share

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
We could play devil's advocate and try to look at Ridley from a detractors point of view. Well the smart ones at least not the toobigots.

Like my more refined theory as in the reason Ridley stops moving, Pikachu falls off the stage which causes Ridley to stop, comes back and Ridley causes him to the left again, where pikachu then runs right and possibly up the platform causing Ridley to jump after him.

But if he was a boss, Ridley wouldn't have character limitations like having to hover instead of fly, and he appears to only be hovering, where as it would make more sense for a Ridley boss to fly, though it clearly shows he jumps

Not very good at this

Making people believe they already showed the big reveal in a trailer, just to show a even bigger one :troll:, would be epic

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
We could play devil's advocate and try to look at Ridley from a detractors point of view. Well the smart ones at least not the toobigots.

Like my more refined theory as in the reason Ridley stops moving, Pikachu falls off the stage which causes Ridley to stop, comes back and Ridley causes him to the left again, where pikachu then runs right and possibly up the platform causing Ridley to jump after him.

But if he was a boss, Ridley wouldn't have character limitations like having to hover instead of fly, and he appears to only be hovering, where as it would make more sense for a Ridley boss to fly, though it clearly shows he jumps

Not very good at this
Lemme try

Sakurai known for being unpredictable. By teasing us with Ridley's shadow, he makes us think there is something deeper going on, and Ridley is playable. He makes others think that Ridley is a boss.

Turns out, there is a giant wave of lava that rises sometimes, that just happens to be shaped like Ridley and leaves funny shadows on the stage and grabs pikachu. Ridley is not actually in the game in any form, trophy, sticker, or otherwise.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I refer to that all the time, thy horrible Dread Serpent, Gematsu. However, by the fiery fist of Cpn. Falcon, magic of Robin, and swordsmanship of Lucina, the serpent was slain, allowing the other, less fortunate newcomers to rise up to join the Guild of Smash Sisters Brothers!

Not very good at this
I can give you a perfectly anti-Ridley reason he has such unpolished movement...
  1. OMG you delusional idiots, Ridley is unfinished! Accept the fact he's a boss!
  2. OMG you delusional idiots, Ridley was clearly stated to be a boss! Accept the fact he's a boss!
and my most personal favorite...
3. OMG you delusionsal idiots, Ridley is way too big to be resized! Accept the fact he's a boss!

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Lemme try

Sakurai known for being unpredictable. By teasing us with Ridley's shadow, he makes us think there is something deeper going on, and Ridley is playable. He makes others think that Ridley is a boss.

Turns out, there is a giant wave of lava that rises sometimes, that just happens to be shaped like Ridley and leaves funny shadows on the stage and grabs pikachu. Ridley is not actually in the game in any form, trophy, sticker, or otherwise.
Or even better this

It was a statue of Ridley on pulleys all along (as long as you don't question the flapping wings, movement in general and purple on the tail)

Found the picture while trying to find a Ridley and Palutena hrybrid as a joke to the shadow, was posted elsewhere on SmashBoards by @Lazurwolf

Just thought about the sickening truth if it was true, it would make Ridley more of a pinata that people are saying hazard Ridley would be

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
HERESY! Burn for your crimes against Ridley! How dare you post on the wrong thread!

By nah, it's a mistake I've made once...

Once.
Reminds of the one time I was wrong.
I had thought I was wrong about something, but it turned out I had actually been right.

Or even better this

It was a statue of Ridley on pulleys all along (as long as you don't question the flapping wings, movement in general and purple on the tail)

Found the picture while trying to find a Ridley and Palutena ship as a joke to the shadow, was posted elsewhere on SmashBoards by @Lazurwolf
that picture is amazing, haha. I remember people arguing Palutena couldn't be playable because there was a statue of her. While I didn't want her to be playable for other reasons, that is clearly a stupid argument haha.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Looked back at the footage (a few times at least). Pikachu is NEAR the edge, but not that near, and certainly not over it. Also, that is a rather...convoluted choreography of movements, 70% of which has to be left to the imagination. Nice try though.

The "Ridley is unfinished" argument was kind of something, but then again, why not show non-animated footage of him? Say, a PotD? All of the stuff you want to show, and none of the glaring flaws visible that apparently make him unfit for viewing. Not to mention that is has been a while since the April Direct, and while I am not a genius on planning and how long stuff takes, Ridley should be done by now. As a boss, at least.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The "Ridley is unfinished" argument was kind of something, but then again, why not show non-animated footage of him? Say, a PotD? All of the stuff you want to show, and none of the glaring flaws visible that apparently make him unfit for viewing. Not to mention that is has been a while since the April Direct, and while I am not a genius on planning and how long stuff takes, Ridley should be done by now. As a boss, at least.
Sakurai said he waited to show us Yoshi because the new animations weren't done and he wanted to wait until he was finished

So there's that

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
This thread seems to have calmed down a bit. Thank god.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Sakurai said he waited to show us Yoshi because the new animations weren't done and he wanted to wait until he was finished

So there's that
Eh, fair enough. But then again, it's still been a while since that Direct, and the footage wasn't necessarily as fresh as the day it was delivered unto us. That, and pictures that don't move could still show things of Ridley without showing the absolutely horrendous animation quality.
Unless Sakurai mentioned the issue specifically in a PotD or something.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I want Ridley, but I'm not confident on his appearance. However that trophy quiz is too suspicious to ignore.
I am fairly confident the characters in the trophy quiz are de facto hints to newcomers in Smash Bros. We already have Robin (Tiki's trophy, plus Id~purpose was playing when the trophy was shown) and Palutena (Pseudo Palutena's trophy) confirmed. There is only Ridley (his theme played when King Kihunter's trophy was shown) and the Zelda newcomer (who is IMO likely to be Ghirahim, since he is related to Fi and his theme is apparently mixed with Ballad of the Goddess in Smash 4).

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Eh, fair enough. But then again, it's still been a while since that Direct, and the footage wasn't necessarily as fresh as the day it was delivered unto us. That, and pictures that don't move could still show things of Ridley without showing the absolutely horrendous animation quality.
Unless Sakurai mentioned the issue specifically in a PotD or something.
He didn't. And I agree, it has been a while. The thing for me is if Ridley is a stage boss it's gonna be shown off in a PotD. Each PotD I'm terrified of a Ridley boss explanation, like we've gotten for other stage hazards. The longer we go without getting it, the more suspicious it is. But it's still possible at any time @.@

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I am fairly confident the characters in the trophy quiz are de facto hints to newcomers in Smash Bros. We already have Robin (Tiki's trophy, plus Id~purpose was playing when the trophy was shown) and Palutena (Pseudo Palutena's trophy) confirmed. There is only Ridley (his theme played when King Kihunter's trophy was shown) and the Zelda newcomer (who is IMO likely to be Ghirahim, since he is related to Fi and his theme is apparently mixed with Ballad of the Goddess in Smash 4).
I certainly hope that's true, but I don't want to get my hopes up too high. That said, a villains trailer with Ganon Ridley, k rool, and ghirahim (or demise), would cause my head to explode!

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
He didn't. And I agree, it has been a while. The thing for me is if Ridley is a stage boss it's gonna be shown off in a PotD. Each PotD I'm terrified of a Ridley boss explanation, like we've gotten for other stage hazards. The longer we go without getting it, the more suspicious it is. But it's still possible at any time @.@
Ah, never has a filler picture about screensplats been more welcome.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Ah, never has a filler picture about screensplats been more welcome.
The first thing I do when I wake up every morning is check the pic of the day, lol. Some people complain about filler but honestly it's so relieving. I figured we were safe this week what with all the reveals. But August is Metroid month. We could be getting new info on any side of the spectrum @.@

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
If ridley wasnt revelead yet by a POTD I guess it's safe t assume he won't be revealed there. safer bet is august direct reveal, for either boss or playable.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
RidleyWheel.png

Was bored and made this terrible thing. Picture is 2small and Ridley is 2big.

EDIT: Oh hey 600th post

Last edited:

avgjoe

Smash Cadet
phaazoid said: "I for one really want to see how Sakurai works in facial expressions for Ridley. We've seen much more emoting this time around, I really hope we get to see it for Ridley"

This is one of my biggest reasons to doubt. I still think Ridley has a good chance with all the teasing and lack of closure from Sakurai, but he hasn’t been shown to be a very expressive character in his history, which may prove to be a challenge in his design. I can’t really picture Ridley showing pain when he’s getting pummeled or having a fearful expression when Capt. Falcon has grabbed him and is about to feed him a knee to the face. I mean I’m not saying this is an impossible hurdle for Sakurai to overcome, but it is a hurdle none the less. What do you guys think?

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
phaazoid said: "I for one really want to see how Sakurai works in facial expressions for Ridley. We've seen much more emoting this time around, I really hope we get to see it for Ridley"

This is one of my biggest reasons to doubt. I still think Ridley has a good chance with all the teasing and lack of closure from Sakurai, but he hasn’t been shown to be a very expressive character in his history, which may prove to be a challenge in his design. I can’t really picture Ridley showing pain when he’s getting pummeled or having a fearful expression when Capt. Falcon has grabbed him and is about to feed him a knee to the face. I mean I’m not saying this is an impossible hurdle for Sakurai to overcome, but it is a hurdle none the less. What do you guys think?
Well, he did the same for characters like Charizard and Ganondorf. I mean, before Ganon was in Smash could you ever imagine him being grabbed by Jiggs and then having a scared look on his face?

Last edited:
Top Bottom