• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I would say, Ganondorf is probably the worst example of a boss-to-playable transition in the series, and one of the poorest representations of a character in Smash. Nobody is happy with his depiction because he's Captain Falcon wearing Ganondorf's character model.

Would you be happy if Ridley received that sort of treatment? I don't think I would be, but more to the point I suspect Sakurai might not be either. As the main series villain of Nintendo's third largest franchise, Ganondorf is very much obligatory and therefore can get away with such a shoddy portrayal. It's Ganondorf, he's gotta be there, accurate or not. Ridley is very important to Metroid but Metroid is less important overall, so including a villain is less of a priority (not to say it isn't a priority at all, but it is less so than Zelda).

Some people support Ridley so strongly that ultimately they don't really care how he ends up, which is fine, but I don't believe Sakurai is one of those people. Ridley's appearance in Brawl is probably a good way to gauge how Sakurai thinks Ridley should be portrayed. Whether you agree with him or not, it would be very difficult to accurately recreate that incarnation of Ridley as a playable fighter.

I see this idea that Sakurai is 'teasing playable Ridley' a lot, and people questioning why he wouldn't just show him as a boss straight away compared to other deconfirmations, but... are you sure he isn't just trying to, you know, let you down gently? Showing Ridley right away as a boss would hurt and Sakurai probably knows that. Maybe after the direct he was expecting people to go 'well, I guess he's not playable' and start winding down the expectations. It really might not intended as teasing at all.
Still, even bowser doesn't really do exactly what he does in mario games, and most people are happy with him, and just being big doesn't make the difference between doing what he does in his games or not. He could still use most of his moves from other games in playable form without being OP. Like if the "arial grab" theory is correct, he could do his grab move from Super metroid with that, or something similar using a side special thought of in this thread. His down arial could be the tail pogo thing, and one of his specials could be shooting fire balls. That pretty much covers it for Super Metroid. People seem to think that all Ridley does are giant unavoidable stage clearing attacks that kill you in one hit. That was really just in brawl. A lot of his attacks could be more or less copy pasted from metroid and it wouldn't be OP.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Ok, I can tear this up

Point 1, ok, we have that going for us

Point 2 - potentially worthless. This only is accurate if Ridley is using his exact other M model, and if the distance/angle of the camera is the same in every shot. We don't have info on either of those things; which means we have a large margin of error, which means for all we know Ridley is Brawl sized or bigger.

Point 3 - As you said, could easily be a coincidence.

Point 4 - Not a very strong argument, as it could still easily just be a boss that hadn't had it's final animations smoothed.

Point 5 - Could have easily been scripted for that segment of video. The sound was cut, so it was obviously controlled and purposeful. Wouldn't surprise me.

And Pre Brawl we got Ridley's theme as one of the Daily updates, and Norfair another time. I don't know if you remember, but Pre Brawl dojo was like an encyclopedia of the game, with each update adding a new entry. Taking several days out to update content surrounding Ridley was... a tease.

But let me just say, we know he's in the game, so imo that still makes him the most likely non vet to get in. Other characters could end up being completely ignored, but at least we know Ridley is in somehow.

Good choice. FE:A is amazing. you're gonna love it. best dating sim I've played in a long time.
Yeah. All it really comes down to is WHAT Sakurai is trying to tease, bossley or char..ley? Charley? I'll take it.
Though looking at his past teasing behaviour, I'm not really going to be worried about it.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yeah. All it really comes down to is WHAT Sakurai is trying to tease. Though looking at his past teasing behaviour, I'm not really going to be worried about it.
I'm worried because it's pretty much the last (and first) big thing I want in the game now, haha. No amount of logic is going to quell that. Especially after Brawl, I'm going to be nervous about this until we know for sure.

NatP

Smash Ace
The thing about saying that Sakurai also teased Yellow Devil as a boss is that... The Yellow Devil is not Ridley. And what I mean by this, is that Yellow Devil is not one of the most highly requested newcomers for Smash since Melee. Teasing Yellow Devil is harmless and cool since he's new to the series and he works great as a boss.

Teasing Ridley in the way Sakurai did (and for as long as he's been doing) is something that is definitely NOT harmless and it has the potential to annoy a LOT of people, which I'm sure Sakurai is 100% aware of. It's a very different situation from Yellow Devil IMO.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I'm worried because it's pretty much the last (and first) big thing I want in the game now, haha. No amount of logic is going to quell that. Especially after Brawl, I'm going to be nervous about this until we know for sure.
Same thing. No matter how sure I am, I always have this little voice in my head claiming the opposite.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The thing about saying that Sakurai also teased Yellow Devil as a boss is that... The Yellow Devil is not Ridley. And what I mean by this, is that Yellow Devil is not one of the most highly requested newcomers for Smash since Melee. Teasing Yellow Devil is harmless and cool since he's new to the series and he works great as a boss.

Teasing Ridley in the way Sakurai did (and for as long as he's been doing) is something that is definitely NOT harmless and it has the potential to annoy a LOT of people, which I'm sure Sakurai is 100% aware of. It's a very different situation from Yellow Devil IMO.
Yellow Devil 4 Smash
Why Samurai

Eh, and I guess that Ridley guy can be whatever...

NatP

Smash Ace
I hope you're right.
Me too. But like, didn't you notice that when Lucina got revealed, everyone started wondering "Oh, is she a clone or alt?" and then, the very next morning, Sakurai posted not one, not two but 3 pictures of Lucina, clarifying exactly what she was. And yet, Ridley hasn't even been mentioned by name yet... It's really fishy.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Not to mention He didn't tease yellow devil in a way that might make people think he's playable. He was immediately shown to be clearly not playable. The only tease was whether he was an assist trophy or a stage hazzard.

Also, I think people should lay off @Speculator a little. Sure, he's a detractor, but he's a polite detractor. He doesn't come in here going "l0l R1dl3y5 t00 b1g u turds!". He comes in and politely brings up arguments against Ridley for the purpose of an intellegent debate. Even if most of his arguements don't exactly seem valid, he adds more to the thread than he takes away from it..

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Also, I think people should lay off @Speculator a little. Sure, he's a detractor, but he's a polite detractor. He doesn't come in here going "l0l R1dl3y5 t00 b1g u turds!". He comes in and politely brings up arguments against Ridley for the purpose of an intellegent debate. Even if most of his arguements don't exactly seem valid, he adds more to the thread than he takes away from it..
Don't hate, speculate

Alternatively

Don't be a hater to @Speculator

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

He was 100% aware of the need for an original Fire Emblem character, and put tons of fanservice and love into Robin's moveset. I'm confident he knows what he's doing. I wasn't when I thought we were dead set on getting Gematsu, but now I'm confident.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Not really, I mean, he's BOWSER. He's not a villain, he's THE villain.
Yeah but out of the entire first three games, we had:
-Bowser
-Dedede
-Ganondorf
-Mewtwo (tentative)
-Wolf
-Wario
-Meta Knight

Only two of those have been confirmed (Bowser and Dedede). I don't know, it just seems off to me.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
-Bowser
-Dedede
-Ganondorf
-Mewtwo (tentative)
-Wolf
-Wario
-Meta Knight

Only two of those have been confirmed (Bowser and Dedede). I don't know, it just seems off to me.
Well, Dedede isn't exactly a villain nowadays, and Wario is less evil and more of a greedy prick, so the current "true" villain is Bowser.

I'd love a villains trailer, but it'd probably have to be like 10 minutes or something so that no limelight is hogged.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Well, Dedede isn't exactly a villain nowadays, and Wario is less evil and more of a greedy prick, so the current "true" villain is Bowser.

I'd love a villains trailer, but it'd probably have to be like 10 minutes or something so that no limelight is hogged.
That's what I was getting at in my first post.

What these previous posts mean for Ridley (for the off topic police):
It means a villains trailer including Ridley is a bit more likely, as a large amount of the villains have yet to be revealed.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
A villains trailer really just seems like a smart move by sakurai, especialy right before release. Imagine the hype if the big three (Ridley, K Rool, abd Mewtwo) AND Ganondorf with a new original moveset were all revealed in one big finale of a trailer. Talk about going out with a bang. I think the sheer amount of hype for all that being revealed at once would increase sales a noticeable amount.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
-Bowser
-Dedede
-Ganondorf
-Mewtwo (tentative)
-Wolf
-Wario
-Meta Knight

I don't think it's that strange. For a lot of people, being able to play as your favourite hero is pretty standard, I mean "Oh boy, Luigi! What an unusual treat to unlock!" kind of gets the point across. But in most games villains are never playable, so unlocking them is actually exciting because of the novelty. I would not be surprised if Meta Knight joined Ganondorf, Mewtwo, and Wolf as an unlockable, and there's still plenty of time to see Wario revealed as well.

In my opinion, the only reason I'm not convinced that Ridley won't be shown until release because he's a hidden character is Robin; Robin screams 'ideal unlockable' to me. His fans are going to freak the **** out when they see him, he's too complex for someone who's playing the game for the first time ever to be unlocked, and there is no way the roster is going to start off with three or four FE characters anyways. Yet we've seen him. Along with RosaLuma and the 3rd parties, I think it's safe to say we're going to see some newcomers that could end up being unlockable for hype reasons, and Ridley is a *prime* candidate for that. Pun intended.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
A villains trailer really just seems like a smart move by sakurai, especialy right before release. Imagine the hype if the big three (Ridley, K Rool, abd Mewtwo) AND Ganondorf with a new original moveset were all revealed in one big finale of a trailer. Talk about going out with a bang. I think the sheer amount of hype for all that being revealed at once would increase sales a noticeable amount.
That's along the lines of what I had in mind. He'd have to have like the rest of the Direct without any announcements (maybe one hero or something), and then pull what they did for the Greninja trailer. Have an awesome credits sequence and whoever sits through it is graced with the announcement that is a villains trailer.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I wouldn't expect an August reveal for Ridley, or a villain's trailer for that matter. It's all too ideal. In fact, I expect a completely unrelated character to anything anniversary related in August.

Of course, I could always be wrong. I'm wrong a lot.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wouldn't expect an August reveal for Ridley, or a villain's trailer for that matter. It's all too ideal. In fact, I expect a completely unrelated character to anything anniversary related in August.

Of course, I could always be wrong. I'm wrong a lot.
Maybe we'll get Isaac and Mother together?

In all honesty, I'm starting to think we're going to get a DK-centric trailer very soon. I do agree, Ridley seems a bit too obvious for August.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Maybe we'll get Isaac and Mother together?

In all honesty, I'm starting to think we're going to get a DK-centric trailer very soon. I do agree, Ridley seems a bit too obvious for August.
To be fair, the DK series hasn't gotten too much love. In fact, there hasn't been a Wii U stage at all.

Regardless, I'm sure the August Direct is going to be great. Robin ended up having an awesome and epic trailer, so I don't see why we should be disappointed in August.

D

Deleted member

It's going to be something no one expects, no one expected Robin and Lucina, what it is? Only Sakurai knows

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
It's going to be something no one expects, no one expected Robin and Lucina, what it is? Only Sakurai knows
Well, WE expect Ridley. But a lot of people still don't. So even though we, the Ridleyists, are already well aware of Ridley's chances, there remains a large mass of people that doesn't have a clue. A perfect meal for a preying Sakurai in his natural habitat.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
To be fair, the DK series hasn't gotten too much love. In fact, there hasn't been a Wii U stage at all.

Regardless, I'm sure the August Direct is going to be great. Robin ended up having an awesome and epic trailer, so I don't see why we should be disappointed in August.
Robin's my favorite trailer to date. I can't help but watch it over and over. I'm sure I'll be doing the same for Ridley. The fact that DK has next-to-nothing is why I think we may get a DK trailer soon.

See, that's what makes a DK-centric trailer perfect. There's really nothing notable going on DK-related in the near future. Ridley getting announced on August 6th? Now THAT would be extremely obvious.

Either way, we'll have to wait and see. I'm just wonder what happens if Pyrosphere is brought up in CoroCoro and Ridley isn't announced before hand?

Well, WE expect Ridley. But a lot of people still don't. So even though we, the Ridleyists, are already well aware of Ridley's chances, there remains a large mass of people that doesn't have a clue. A perfect meal for a preying Sakurai in his natural habitat.
Good point. Most people think Ridley is disconfirmed. It would be the perfect opportunity to announce him after all, perhaps. Its not the case like Robin's trailer where EVERYONE "knew" it'd be Shulk.

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't know, for some reason I'm quite confident they'll show at least one big name, if not multiple, close to release to really get the hype up. This could, or actually should, be Ridley. He's definitely a game-seller, if not a system-seller, for many people. I guess he'd still be a seller even without a trailer (and as a secret character), but the hype with a trailer would be unreal and I don't see why they would pass an opportunity like that. Here's hoping at least.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I have plenty of people I talk to regarding Smash 4 and the majority of them are under the impression that Ridley is a stage boss, so I like this point a lot. Out of the twenty friends I have that play Smash, only myself and one other person believe he has a high chance and the rest think we're in denial.

NatP

Smash Ace
I think it's safe to say that if Ridley is indeed playable it will come to as a surprise to a LOOOOT of people.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Be sure t

I wouldn't be so quick to consider Meta Knight a villain either.
I don't consider him a villain (more of an anti-hero/anti-villain; I used this logic in the Mewtwo thread I think). But in some games he's the villain, just like in some games Wario is a villain or Dedede is a villain.

D

Deleted member

DDD is only a villain in the first game, every other time he's a boss, he is being controlled by someone; MK is a rival; Mewtwo is just a pokemon and only a villain in the first movie, and if we take the anime, no, even better, the Pokemon Movies as canon, we are going to have a bad time; King K. Rool, Ganondorf and Ridley are the only TRUE villains that have a chance of being playable(imo); Wario is just a greedy fat guy

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
CoroCoro have updated a statement:

So no doubt Pyrosphere will be there, let's hope that Ridley isn't featured on it.
I assume they'd only mention what has been actually confirmed by Sakurai, and not any speculations or implied info in regards to Ridley's role?
I can see how this will pan out:

"And here is a new stage from a franchise we dont give a damn, Pyrosphere. We have no idea how it works. Moving on...."

Maxilian

Smash Ace
DDD is only a villain in the first game, every other time he's a boss, he is being controlled by someone; MK is a rival; Mewtwo is just a pokemon and only a villain in the first movie, and if we take the anime, no, even better, the Pokemon Movies as canon, we are going to have a bad time; King K. Rool, Ganondorf and Ridley are the only TRUE villains that have a chance of being playable(imo); Wario is just a greedy fat guy
Wario was a villain until his personality and story were developed with the first wario ware...

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
CoroCoro have updated a statement:

So no doubt Pyrosphere will be there, let's hope that Ridley isn't featured on it.
I assume they'd only mention what has been actually confirmed by Sakurai, and not any speculations or implied info in regards to Ridley's role?
Didn't they said they would only talk about the 3ds stages?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Wario was a villain until his personality and story were developed with the first wario ware...
Even in the Wario Land games, he was fighting off forces much worse than him, even if it was only to get gold. It's difficult to call him an outright villain in those games.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I've been wondering. Maybe as Ridley's damage percentage rises, his body becomes more and more tattered, just like in Other M. Preferably purely aesthetic, of course.

Top Bottom