• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
i just checked the palutena trailer, she calls him by dark pit. as we've seen before, palutena and little mac had subtle hints on their playability but never said by name. then again it was palutena who said dark pit, not sakurai :/

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Actually, skin of Pit. I think that's the only logical explanation. But yeah, I think it really was just a cameo, it was a nod to when Pit crashed Medusa's party in the original anime videos. People are really reading too much into it. Either way, Ridley is obviously playable.
Can you give your reasons for thinking Ridley is playable? I don't doubt you at all, and I feel pretty confident he's playable too, I just like to talk about why. Also, I can't remember your reasons, even though I'm certain you've said them before.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
All of this reasoning we have, now watch CoroCoro leak and have a picture of Ridley on Pyrosphere claiming him to be a stage boss. :glare:
Pretty sure they are only going to talk about the 3ds version, although if they include wii u stages then it could help us as it would confirm another hazard in pyrosphere, or they could talk about wii u stages and for some reason, don't mention pyrosphere

majora_787

Smash Hero
My issue with Dark Pit is mainly, he shouldn't be playable separately from Pit. Dark Pit is LITERALLY an evil palette swap of Pit with Pit's abilities. It would be like making Dark Link or SA-X unique playable characters even though they're visually identical in every way (at most in coloration) and have the same abilities. Plus Kid Icarus doesn't need four characters and it would be Medusa or nothing.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Can you give your reasons for thinking Ridley is playable? I don't doubt you at all, and I feel pretty confident he's playable too, I just like to talk about why. Also, I can't remember your reasons, even though I'm certain you've said them before.
He should do an essay about it and bookmark like me :troll:

No but even though I don't want him that much, I just like to extensively talk about controversial subject.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, red herring / hoax is what I'm thinking. Sakurai is the ultimate troll, there's no denying that. As for a skin of Pit, the only problem I have with that is that he's technically a different character. Despite this, he is Pit. I have trouble concluding for that. Canonically, Dark Pit was never supposed to exist, but was accidentally created.

The problem with the notion of Dark Pit being a new character is that Sakurai confirmed, as long as a character plays identical with the exact same hitbox, even if they have a different name, voice, or model, they can be a skin. Any differences in fighting style and they're a clone. This was confirmed with Lucina; she was a skin, but Sakurai realized something she could do different from Marth.

Being a "new character" means nothing anymore.

i just checked the palutena trailer, she calls him by dark pit. as we've seen before, palutena and little mac had subtle hints on their playability but never said by name. then again it was palutena who said dark pit, not sakurai :/
Lucina was called out by name and confirmed a separate character in the Robin trailer, Dark Pit wasn't.

Basically, everything everyone's said before. Sakurai teased Ridley several times, said things like "size has no bearing in Smash," never said Ridley by name, and never confirmed Ridley's status after the Direct. For other characters who are ambiguous, he directly confirms their status or makes it very clear they aren't playable. Ridley never had that. Sakurai never said Ridley was a boss, either, he just said bosses appear in other stages, which can mean just about anything.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
not sure if this video helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZClSIUAtm0 its basically what this thread has said alot in the past but put into one video thats to the point

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Hey, I'm new here and I just wanted to make my first post in the Ridley thread because he's my most wanted unannounced newcomer. Long live the Purple, Feral, Gigantic yet re-sizable, parent-eating, space pirate dragon!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Hey, I'm new here and I just wanted to make my first post in the Ridley thread because he's my most wanted unannounced newcomer. Long live the Purple, Feral, Gigantic yet re-sizable, parent-eating, space pirate dragon!
Welcome!
Don't drink the water.
This is a trap.

From the direct:

I see the word "Palutena".

So, yes it was mentioned :troll:
Pseudo-Palutena confirmed!?!?!?!

Last edited:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Welcome fellow Ridley supporter!

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I don't care who inevitably makes the standard threads if Ridley is confirmed, but I would like to ask for a small favor...

Title the "I was wrong" thread like this:

Ridley: Believe it or Not! The "I was wrong thread".

Ridley sounds like Ripley... *smirk*

I'd appreciate it as well if someone could explain why they are CERTAIN that the purple dragon is playable? Where does this confidence come from? Tell me so I can join in on the smugness! :p

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Welcome! We hope to get into lots of discussion while you're here! Any topics you'd like to talk about?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Welcome!
Don't drink the water.

Pseudo-Palutena confirmed!?!?!?!
You asked if her "name" was "said".

A "name" is a constant string. "said" is vocally pronounce a string. Since writing is doing the same in this case, it could mean seeing a string on any documents.

The "name" is "Palutena" so, it is constant.

A frame in the April 8 direct was showed before June 10 so it's a valid document.

The document shows "Pseudo-Palutena" but since we only care about seeing the string "Palutena",

return true;

Lol, I just explained a joke by using programming references. I'm that bored.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Welcome! We hope to get into lots of discussion while you're here! Any topics you'd like to talk about?
Eh, nothing really. Did anyone bring up that during King Kihunter's trophy part of the smash direct Ridley's Other M theme plays?

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Eh, nothing really. Did anyone bring up that during King Kihunter's trophy part of the smash direct Ridley's Other M theme plays?
Yeah, a bit back a think. We're big on speculation here.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yep. We've covered a LOT of ground.

Check out the second post of the first page to be caught up with the arguments, though I would recommend the shadow analysis by me.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
I don't care who inevitably makes the standard threads if Ridley is confirmed, but I would like to ask for a small favor...

I'd appreciate it as well if someone could explain why they are CERTAIN that the purple dragon is playable? Where does this confidence come from? Tell me so I can join in on the smugness! :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZClSIUAtm0 not entirely the whole reason but this video gives alot of evidence in his favor

Nietona

Smash Journeyman

Basically...

Ridley's shadow in the Direct was moving at PC speed, too slow for any half-decent boss. It also didn't attack during the eleven seconds it was there, returned afterward, and jumped. The animation was also extremely choppy, unlike any boss Ridley has ever been. Through shadow analysis, we determined this Ridley was Bowser-sized, which is a PC size.

Ridley has never been referred to directly by name, like every other PC announced. The Pyrosphere has also been shown an awful lot, always Ridley-less. The fact that Sakurai has done that, and has given us a trailer that seems to be Stage Hazardley but upon closer inspection points more to Playabley, means that Ridley has a good chance to still be playable, and Sakurai may have just been trolling.

Also, with all that said, it makes no sense to not just outright reveal him because that's dragging fans along to reveal Stage Hazardley, which makes no sense and is the complete wrong thing to do when trying to sell a video game.

Also, every other character that was disconfirmed had their name stated, role shown, and non-playable status made clear, like Chrom, or Waluigi. Ridley hasn't received this treatment even slightly. Check out post two of this thread; it sums up most of this better than I can write.

I love reading through this thread, haha.
Me too. There's just something about it, even when you're not posting. I can't pinpoint what, but there is.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Guys... I just realized something.

Ridley HAS to be revealed before the CoroCoro announcement.

Its been confirmed CoroCoro is explaining how all the announced characters and stages work. This includes PYROSPHERE. I think we're getting Ridley announced August 6th.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I don't usually bring up topics from lots of pages back, but I never told you that I was interested in how that moveset is going to turn out, @Nietona. It's a friendly gesture, I guess you could say, but it feels rude of me that I never said anything like that...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I don't usually bring up topics from lots of pages back, but I never told you that I was interested in how that moveset is going to turn out, @Nietona. It's a friendly gesture, I guess you could say, but it feels rude of me that I never said anything like that...
I made a moveset a long time ago. I could unearth it if need be.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman

Its been confirmed CoroCoro is explaining how all the announced characters and stages work. This includes PYROSPHERE. I think we're getting Ridley announced August 6th.
I'm both ecstatic and frightened at the same time.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman

could you post a link to the article you found this at? i would like to post it to a facebook smash page to see what they think about it :)

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I think you will all like this.

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/1...ros-says-he-lacks-any-unique-characteristics/

Sakurai totally recognized that Chrom was wanted to be playable. But didn't include him because he didn't think he would bring anything new compared to Marth and Ike.

So, this puts the proof in the pudding - Sakurai KNOOOWS Rids is wanted. And like someone posted above:

in a PotD sakurai showed palutenas statue but said her name as "Goddess of Light" not Palutena
Ridley is in the same exact boat.

It's a good time for Ridley supporters indeed :]

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Yeee! I started it, then started playing Clannad and now it's in my Notes section. I'll work on it bit by bit, and post it here. I haven't forgotten it, I promise! Thank you, though. c:

Looks like August is make or break for Ridley. Here's hoping for August!

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284

Oh, the tension! It's mounting like Patch 5.3: Escalation! Will our dashing hero Ridley make the cut? Or will his throne be usurp by the followers of the now dead Dread Serpent, Gematsu?

Find out in the next episode of Super Smash Brother 4: Speculation Z!

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace

Didn't they said that they would only talk about the 3ds stages?

Why are we talking about Dark Pit here? Is Dark Ridley a possibility now?
No but Meta Ridley, Omega Ridley and Neo Ridley are

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom