• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I have a legit question for you Ridley-supporters;

Say hypothetically that Ridley is not playable, would you be more outraged at him being an assist trophy or a stage hazard? I got the feeling most of you detest the "stage boss" idea and I wondered why. Me personally would find it very fitting, as the character would get a clearly present factor by ravaging all the fighters on its hometurf, whereas an assist trophy seems a lot more diminishing of his importance, leaving him with just a couple seconds of stagetime.
My outrage would come at how Sakurai legitimately thought hyping up a stage boss would be a good idea in any shape, way, or form.

The only reason I came onto this thread in the first place was not that I wanted Ridley playable, but because of the months of teasing without acknowledging him.

But I would prefer a BAMF invincible Assist Trophy over a Pinata boss.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

Say hypothetically that Ridley is not playable, would you be more outraged at him being an assist trophy or a stage hazard? I got the feeling most of you detest the "stage boss" idea and I wondered why. Me personally would find it very fitting, as the character would get a clearly present factor by ravaging all the fighters on its hometurf, whereas an assist trophy seems a lot more diminishing of his importance, leaving him with just a couple seconds of stagetime.
After seeing footage of the Yellow devil, he does take up over a 3rd of a stage, but if everyone teams up he dies fairly quickly, and based off what was said recently, the Dark Emperor might not be a boss in the same way, as he apparently buffs or debuffs. The Problem I have is what is Ridley's role, it's pretty safe to say it won't just attack from the back like his Dead or Alive cameo or the shadow would be in the wrong place. Having to kill Ridley just to get on with the fight would likely be a pain to get out the way, and a pain I have to look at him every time I play pyrosphere and ask why wasn't he made playable (unless i turn hazards off or use the FD version I guess)

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

I'd be more pissed off at a stage hazard personally. At least he helps you (second best thing to a playable) as an assist trophy. Also, Little Mac rose from an Assist Trophy to a Playable so there's that.

It's kind of like Tails in the original Sonic games. You never outright play as him, but he helps you to the point where you could care less whether you're Tails or Sonic.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

I don't like the stage hazard-boss thingy because all it does it turn Ridley into a big, moving punching bag.
At least that's how I see it.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

It's not that he'd be a stage boss that pisses us off.

It's that, from what we know, he looks like a really ****ty one.

It's kind of like Tails in the original Sonic games. You never outright play as him, but he helps you to the point where you could care less whether you're Tails or Sonic.
But...you could outright play as Tails. :U

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm pretty confident in Medusa being playable myself. After the way Kirby was handled in Brawl, the way Kid Icarus has been handled, and the way Fire Emblem has just recently been handled, I'd call her probably 3rd most likely on my wishlist. But that's just me.
Though Magnus was never very likely. I mean people REQUESTED him, but...
wait......so how many newcomers are gonna be in this game??? its nft 12-14 anymore no?

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
We talking Kihunters?

I find it kinda funny how Weavel, the cyborg Space Pirate, looks very much like a Kihunter.

Interesting. The resemblance and the fact that Weavel stands for a beetle I would not be surprised if they released info about an upcoming Metroid game involving Weavel and other hunters, specifically Sylux. And I would not be surprised if Sakurai added a bounty hunter to promote the games. Like in Melee Roy was a playable character before his game even came out. But it would be weird and out of place to give the bounty hunters a higher status than Ridley as of now. I have mixed feelings...

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
It's not that he'd be a stage boss that pisses us off.

It's that, from what we know, he looks like a really ****ty one.
That's actually exactly what pisses me off. The fact they took such a well requested character and turned him into something he is on every single Metroid game is just unoriginal. I play Smash Bros so I can play as my favorite character, and punch/kick/otherformofviolence other characters in the face. Not many games let you play as Bowser and punch Mario, and not many games let you play as Ganondorf and punch Link. Why not be able to play as Ridley and punch Samus?

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but:
super_metroid_box_us.jpg

Ridley looks perfectly fine in this box art. Ideally, this is how he should fit into Smash Bros, using a reasonable design from a well received game, rather than a large design from a hated game.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Interesting. The resemblance and the fact that Weavel stands for a beetle I would not be surprised if they released info about an upcoming Metroid game involving Weavel and other hunters, specifically Sylux. And I would not be surprised if Sakurai added a bounty hunter to promote the games. Like in Melee Roy was a playable character before his game even came out. But it would be weird and out of place to give the bounty hunters a higher status than Ridley as of now. I have mixed feelings...
Please.

This is possibly the most uplifting thing I've heard today.

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
K, from the instant response, I can tell the most of you seem afraid of him just taking incoming hits and not being any danger to the players and also just general sadness that he wouldn't be playable. But wouldn't he be a punching bag that fights back? You don't exactly know what he'd do yet, all you saw was some shadows and a grab. Hardly representative of the final product.

Getting taken on by 4 main characters of series at the same time and still fighting back I find quite an achievement and compliment to his strength and endurance, the way I see it.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
wait......so how many newcomers are gonna be in this game??? its nft 12-14 anymore no?
It would be funny if Metroid got 2 reps, one revealed at the start or near the start ( though not sure who the rep could be), and revealed Ridley at the end.

majora_787

Smash Hero
My personal guess? A minimum of four more, a maximum of eight more. Just enough roster slots for Ridley. :troll: /joke

EDIT: That's the thing though. We saw Ridley barely move and not attack in the time span it takes Yellow Devil to attack ten or eleven times. So he definitely looks like nothing but a punching bag. And you know, if he doesn't have a weak point he is going to last less time alive than the period of time we saw in the direct.

Dying repeatedly and pathetically is not complimenting to his character. He would need to actually be playable so he can put up a legitimate fight anywhere and any time, which is much more fitting.

EDIT 2: Also the grab was brought so repeatedly and thoroughly into question that I don't think most people consider it a thing that happened anymore.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
That's actually exactly what pisses me off. The fact they took such a well requested character and turned him into something he is on every single Metroid game is just unoriginal. I play Smash Bros so I can play as my favorite character, and punch/kick/otherformofviolence other characters in the face. Not many games let you play as Bowser and punch Mario, and not many games let you play as Ganondorf and punch Link. Why not be able to play as Ridley and punch Samus?
I was more referring to the way that the original poster was viewing our discontent with Ridley being a boss. It's not like there's some ungodly thing wrong with him being a Boss instead of an Assist Trophy or whatever the **** else, unplayable is unplayable is ****ty.

Obviously any case where Ridley isn't playable is a worst case scenario, but the fact that he looks like literally the most lazily-designed stage hazard in the history of forever is just rubbing salt in the wound.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I would say the metroid franchise is the third biggest in Nintendo behind the mario and zelda franchises. That being said it would not be right to give fire emblem 4 reps, star fox 3, and I really like all the star fox characters, and Kirby with 3. It really has to be k rool or ridley both series need a villain and another rep, if someone else from kid lcarus gets in which most people haven't heard of until brawl then I would honestly bead.
Oh, its definitely not that big of a franchise Im afraid, most Metroid games hover around a million units, with games like DK or Pokemon dwarfing it. Then nowadays there are the Wii Fit, Wii Play, Animal Crossing, and other newer franchises that sell a lot. Id say Kirby is more popular than Metroid too, but I dont about that one.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I was more referring to the way that the original poster was viewing our discontent with Ridley being a boss. It's not like there's some ungodly thing wrong with him being a Boss instead of an Assist Trophy or whatever the **** else, unplayable is unplayable is ****ty.

Obviously any case where Ridley isn't playable is a worst case scenario, but the fact that he looks like literally the most lazily-designed stage hazard in the history of forever is just rubbing salt in the wound.
And even better yet. We're supposed to think Sakurai is deliberately and ambiguously hyping up a very requested character only in the end to put them in a worse version of the role they are literally always in. :troll: SURPRISE.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but:
View attachment 18559
Ridley looks perfectly fine in this box art. Ideally, this is how he should fit into Smash Bros, using a reasonable design from a well received game, rather than a large design from a hated game.
Wow, that actually would fit pretty well

Also, why must he keep changing colors? I have enough issue picking a color scheme for him without him being red. >_<

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
But... you don't know that. You've seen no representative gameplay to back that up, whatsoever.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Sakurai will be assassinated if Ridley is t playable by this entire thread..
Yeah I mean, the crowd got bad when Chrom was deconfirmed as a PC and people aren't as crazy for Chrom as they are for Ridley so.. there will be an uprising if Ridley isn't playable. And Sakurai knows it.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284

Oh. I misinterpreted your statement.

In which case, yeah, bad stage boss is bad.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
At least we got our spirits back.

What page was that on? I want to read it.
Around page 490, and I'm glad we got our spirits back. You slowly see them rise after the initial shock leaves. There's a surprising lack of detractors. I'd have expected more for this guy.

I wouldn't value an Assist Trophy over a Stage Boss, nor the other way around. I'd hate them both equally because I want him playable, and if Sakurai is "listening to the fans", then he should know that Ridley in either of these roles will annoy us to no end. We're not the be-all and end-all of the Smash Bros. fanbase, but Ridley is the poster-boy for characters wanted playable, and at this point it's idiocy to not see that if you have Ridley playable, your game is going to sell.

K, from the instant response, I can tell the most of you seem afraid of him just taking incoming hits and not being any danger to the players and also just general sadness that he wouldn't be playable. But wouldn't he be a punching bag that fights back? You don't exactly know what he'd do yet, all you saw was some shadows and a grab. Hardly representative of the final product.

Getting taken on by 4 main characters of series at the same time and still fighting back I find quite an achievement and compliment to his strength and endurance, the way I see it.
What we saw was likely the final product. The idea that it'd take over eight months to complete Ridley is ridiculous, so what they showed us was undoubtedly the final thing. And, saying that doesn't particularly make us feel better because we don't want pinata Ridley, nor assist Ridley; we want him playable. To know that he was either a downgraded boss yet again or something to just help fighters out is something that won't leave us shining happily.

It's like... say your favourite character was Bowser. Bowser is a popular villain, and loved the world over.

Say Bowser wasn't playable in any installment of anything, and was teased like Ridley has been. Saying that is like saying "Bowser is nearly playable, on the screen with everyone else! He's not this time, but damn, the fact that he doesn't die instantly like this is something that should make you smile!"

I changed it to Bowser because Bowser is more popular than Ridley.

Ridley being a boss yet again is just boring. For the sake of this argument, say Ridley is your favourite character and you desperately want to see him in Smash. He's teased, over and over, as unplayable in the latest game where it made complete sense to be playable. It's just... something that'll enrage you, not something that'll make you think "But wow, he's not dead there, but he will be! Good for him, I support this."

I just seriously hope there's going to be a curtain pull on this in August, even if it's Hazardley. At least the influx of detractors will happen sooner and be out of the way sooner rather than later.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Wow, that actually would fit pretty well

Also, why must he keep changing colors? I have enough issue picking a color scheme for him without him being red. >_<
Smash has a wide array of color swaps to choose, so no need to worry anymore. You can have your purple, red, blue, green, yellow Ridleys and more.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yeah I mean, the crowd got bad when Chrom was deconfirmed as a PC and people aren't as crazy for Chrom as they are for Ridley so.. there will be an uprising if Ridley isn't playable. And Sakurai knows it.
An uprising? Hell, I'm sure the very earth would quake with rage. Literally.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Smash has a wide array of color swaps to choose, so no need to worry anymore. You can have your purple, red, blue, green, yellow Ridleys and more.
True, but figuring out his canon color for a plushie is...difficult, heh.

Isaiah Stewart

Smash Rookie

I'd hate it more if he was a stage hazard. I've been to Smash-Fest, and what I saw and experienced with Yellow Devil, he honestly was not that much of a threat(going down in less than 10 seconds)and that was only because he has a weak spot, Ridley is able to be hit anywhere, and it would honestly just be more of a bore having him lazily drift across the stage doing nothing useful, than it would if he randomly popped out and did some super devastating move.(Plus as Little Mac showed Assist Trophies can be promoted to Playable Characters, so that would be better in my case.)

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
It would be funny if Metroid got 2 reps, one revealed at the start or near the start ( though not sure who the rep could be), and revealed Ridley at the end.
syluxsyluxsyluxsyluxsyluxsyluxsyluxsyluxsyluxsylux
Any ideas on who to pick? There's surprisingly few good options now that DS is an Assist Trophy. Good idea.

Around page 490, and I'm glad we got our spirits back. You slowly see them rise after the initial shock leaves. There's a surprising lack of detractors. I'd have expected more for this guy.

I wouldn't value an Assist Trophy over a Stage Boss, nor the other way around. I'd hate them both equally because I want him playable, and if Sakurai is "listening to the fans", then he should know that Ridley in either of these roles will annoy us to no end. We're not the be-all and end-all of the Smash Bros. fanbase, but Ridley is the poster-boy for characters wanted playable, and at this point it's idiocy to not see that if you have Ridley playable, your game is going to sell.
I agree, both would be humiliating, and if Sakurai pulls another Brawl/Melee on us, I'm going to be pissed. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be on page 490, thanks for the info.

majora_787

Smash Hero
But... you don't know that. You've seen no representative gameplay to back that up, whatsoever.
None?

- We know that Pyrosphere is about the size of his boss arena in Brawl.
- We know Ridley is about half the size he was in Brawl.
- We know Ridley moves slightly faster than Pikachu's half-walking speed, which is VERY slow for a boss.
- We know Ridley doesn't seem to attack in an 11-second window, which is a HUGE window when compared to Yellow Devil, who attacks nearly once per second with eye lasers on average before dying or changing sides.

So we have a slow, small, docile boss on a very large stage with platforms. Everyone will be able to outmaneuver him, and he will die in seconds. Probably without getting to do anything.

Unless what we saw in the direct has literally *NOTHING* in common whatsoever with the final product, which is pretty unlikely all things considered, it adds up to an extremely poorly managed stage hazard.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yes. And the epicenter of that earthquake would be this thread LOL. I'm sure Sakurai won't let it get to that point.
I seriously wonder if the guys at Nintendo look over Smashboards during the speculation days.

I think the character with a bigger thread than the main discussion would get their attention.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
He is supposedly the size of Bowser in the Direct video. So to start, he's pointlessly small. Going on, he floats slowly in one direction for a few seconds, then floats in place while doing absolutely nothing for a total of eight full seconds. Moving on from that, he apparently grabs Pikachu, deals absolutely no damage to him, then lets him go within a second or two. His animations are also extremely choppy and he doesn't exhibit the smooth movement that a character with predetermined behaviors should have.

So, from the April Direct, we got that Ridley is not only smaller than in Brawl, but also moves very slowly for long periods without attacking anyone, as well as using jumping animations that look like those of a playable character.

majora_787

Smash Hero
He is supposedly the size of Bowser in the Direct video. So to start, he's pointlessly small. Going on, he floats slowly in one direction for a few seconds, then floats in place while doing absolutely nothing for a total of eight full seconds. Moving on from that, he apparently grabs Pikachu, deals absolutely no damage to him, then lets him go within a second or two. His animations are also extremely choppy and he doesn't exhibit the smooth movement that a character with predetermined behaviors should have.

So, from the April Direct, we got that Ridley is not only smaller than in Brawl, but also moves very slowly for long periods without attacking anyone, as well as using jumping animations that look like those of a playable character.
He's a scyphozoa and not a space pirate is basically the issue here.

And combined with the fact that Pyrosphere is VERY LARGE? Ridley occupies about a 9th or a 10th of the Pyrosphere's main platform. Meanwhle, Dark Emperor and Yellow Devil are fought on smaller stages which actually FORCE you to contend with the boss which occupies between a 3rd and a 5th of the platform area.

So I mean it's a slow, small, docile boss that you can very easily just not deal with if you don't want to just kill it in a couple of seconds flat.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I seriously wonder if the guys at Nintendo look over Smashboards during the speculation days.

I think the character with a bigger thread than the main discussion would get their attention.
I'm sure they do. Especially the Nintendo Treehouse people, I'm sure they participate here, just undercover.

Anyway, need to go to work. My final opinion for the day is: I think the Ridley theme during the trophy quiz pretty much confirms Ridley, even more than the "boss" shadow. We'll see him revealed soon, and it's gonna be EPIC.

majora_787

Smash Hero
so if ridley is in is it most likely gonna be the other m design?
Going off the body type, wings, and tail as well as Samus and Pyrosphere being based off Other M, he would most likely be a hybrid based largely off of his Other M concept design.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Oh, its definitely not that big of a franchise Im afraid, most Metroid games hover around a million units, with games like DK or Pokemon dwarfing it. Then nowadays there are the Wii Fit, Wii Play, Animal Crossing, and other newer franchises that sell a lot. Id say Kirby is more popular than Metroid too, but I dont about that one.
Please, the character with the best-selling games are the Mii Fighters.
Wii Sports is the best-selling game of all time, last time I checked.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
so if ridley is in is it most likely gonna be the other m design?
General consensus is that it'll either be a revamped Other M design, or some composite Smash Bros design.

But hey, we have better Ridleys to look forward to in Smash 5, worst comes to worst!

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
None?

- We know that Pyrosphere is about the size of his boss arena in Brawl.
- We know Ridley is about half the size he was in Brawl.
- We know Ridley moves slightly faster than Pikachu's half-walking speed, which is VERY slow for a boss.
- We know Ridley doesn't seem to attack in an 11-second window, which is a HUGE window when compared to Yellow Devil, who attacks nearly once per second with eye lasers on average before dying or changing sides.

So we have a slow, small, docile boss on a very large stage with platforms. Everyone will be able to outmaneuver him, and he will die in seconds. Probably without getting to do anything.

Unless what we saw in the direct has literally *NOTHING* in common whatsoever with the final product, which is pretty unlikely all things considered, it adds up to an extremely poorly managed stage hazard.
Everything you summed up has been nothing but speculation. You have no idea how many hit he might be able to take, how hard his attacks land, how high up he was, how dodge-able the attacks are. All these factors are entirely unknown as well as the core patterns of the boss. It seems your anger clouds your reasoning; it might not be as bad as you think.

Again, I don't want to imply he "won't" be playable, that would derail this topic into anti-ridley shaming again, this is all hypothetically speaking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom