• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
He ya, first time in the Ridley thread.

Just wanted to quickly point out that Ridley is too big...just like Bowser!

Seriously, though, would be BA if he is in as a playable character.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well it could be worse. We could have gross festering Winged Ridley Guardian of the Metroids #2. OR bizarre bug-eyed alien concept artley.

EDIT: Speculation founded entirely in the information provided to us. Why would they give us information ENTIRELY irrelevant to how he behaves in the game?

That would be like if they showed off Robin's tome mechanic and Levin Sword in his trailer and went "But he doesn't ACTUALLY use those." Obviously the direct footage is indicative of something. And right now it is all we have to go off of.

We're better off working from what we have, instead of working from what we don't. It's easier and more sensible to say "He looks like a bad boss" when we have been given a reason to think so than it is to go "He might be a great boss" when we haven't been given anything that supports that.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Going off the body type, wings, and tail as well as Samus and Pyrosphere being based off Other M, he would most likely be a hybrid based largely off of his Other M concept design.

I noticed during my shadow analysis that Ridley has ridged wing like the ones shown here, while the Other M model is otherwise straight, so maybe Sakurai IS taking inspiration from Concept Artley.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Any ideas on who to pick? There's surprisingly few good options now that DS is an Assist Trophy. Good idea.
I picked the perfect one, they even come with their own power suit

:troll:

Though Ridley using Dark Samus as an assist trophy would be cool I guess

[Collapse=Just remembered this after I posted]
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Disconfirming Ridley would be a huge **** move to begin with, because while Ridley is the most popular newcomer request for Smash, he's also easily the request with the most detractors. If Sakurai outright, without a shadow of a doubt, disconfirms Ridley, we'll be being kicked ten feet under compared to the stuff other character fans would have to go through. Not a valid argument against his exclusion, but a noteworthy point.

Everything you summed up has been nothing but speculation. You have no idea how many hit he might be able to take, how hard his attacks land, how high up he was, how dodge-able the attacks are. All these factors are entirely unknown as well as the core patterns of the boss. It seems your anger clouds you to think it might not be as bad as you'd think.

Again, I don't want to imply he "won't" be playable, that would derail this topic into anti-ridley shaming again, this is all hypothetically speaking.
No, you can see more than enough from his shadow there. It's also unlike Ridley to stand still like that and to not attack for 11 seconds when not stunned. You can see he's probably not that high due to his tail coming into shot, and honestly, his zero attacks make him look pretty dodge-able as it is.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
This is for everyone who says that Ridley is too big already because of being able to see his tail in the Direct. (Also to back up majora_787 and UltimateWario's points.)

So this is his tail, there's no denying that. He looks pretty big. But that's not saying that this is his natural size. Nowhere is this ever stated outright (nothing about Ridley really ever is). His size could be modified here. "Then why isn't Pikachu huge?" Well, the Super Mushroom, an item that grows players, has already been revealed for Smash 4. Who's to say Ridley isn't under the influence of the Super Shroom? Just food for thought.

I thought of this while reading posts and thinking about how Sakurai is trolling us with this. Also when coming up with my idea of how Sakurai could troll us with Rildey's reveal.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
I seriously wonder if the guys at Nintendo look over Smashboards during the speculation days.

I think the character with a bigger thread than the main discussion would get their attention.
Miyamoto: Sakurai they're on to us.

Sakurai: Hmmm... This seems like a BIG problem don't you think.

Miyamoto: -_- What do you suggest we do?

Sakurai: Troll them on a larger scale than before.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Honestly? I seriously doubt mushrooms were involved, considering...

It is worth noting that in the picture Ridley is doing a sort of "back lean" based off how his shadow is behaving, making his shadow take up more space.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
This is for everyone who says that Ridley is too big already because of being able to see his tail in the Direct. (Also to back up majora_787 and UltimateWario's points.)

So this is his tail, there's no denying that. He looks pretty big. But that's not saying that this is his natural size. Nowhere is this ever stated outright (nothing about Ridley really ever is). His size could be modified here. "Then why isn't Pikachu huge?" Well, the Super Mushroom, an item that grows players, has already been revealed for Smash 4. Who's to say Ridley isn't under the influence of the Super Shroom? Just food for thought.

I thought of this while reading posts and thinking about how Sakurai is trolling us with this. Also when coming up with my idea of how Sakurai could troll us with Rildey's reveal.
I feel like my tail analysis was just ignored...
Anyhow, a Super Mushroom isn't the only thing that's deceptive. Judging by that pic alone, Yoshi dwarfs the animals in the background. That's the magic of perspective!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Anyhow, a Super Mushroom isn't the only thing that's deceptive. Judging by that pic alone, Yoshi dwarfs the animals in the background. That's the magic of perspective!
It looks like Yoshi is going to eat my barber. Drat.

majora_787

Smash Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGj1_RhSVdY sorry for self promoting but can you guys tell me what you think of my roster
This really isn't the thread for general roster discussion...

Though it seems pretty good to me. The only change I'd make personally is switching Takamaru for Medusa. And generally what people use is a four-row 51 character roster with a random space for organization.

Last edited:

MrBill0327

Smash Cadet
This really isn't the thread for general roster discussion...

Though it seems pretty good to me. The only change I'd make personally is switching Takamaru for Medusa. And generally what people use is a four-row 51 character roster with a random space for organization.
sorry

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I may have skipped over it, I don't tend to read the posts except for the ones on the current page and the previous page.

Honestly? I seriously doubt mushrooms were involved, considering...

It is worth noting that in the picture Ridley is doing a sort of "back lean" based off how his shadow is behaving, making his shadow take up more space.
Yes, that's why I said Food for Thought. I doubt they were used either. It was just something to think about for all of the deniers of Ridley.

MrBill0327

Smash Cadet
I think im at like 95% with ridley i think the way sakurai has alluded to him (without a name and using phrasing similar to when he showed the palutena statue) it screams to me that ridley is playable

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Filthy lapdog! Don't you know it's physically impossible to use any perspective in a video game of all things? After all, thinking otherwise is grand heresy to reality itself! You should repent for your crimes!

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I wonder if we get any more teasers for Ridley, or at least pyrospere before the direct in August (amusing we even get anything then).

NatP

Smash Ace
Hey guys, remember that feature Sakurai added for smash 4 where you start getting redder and releasing off steam as you get closer to KO%?

Well, in Super Metroid Ridley got redder the closer he got to death too...

MrBill0327

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, remember that feature Sakurai added for smash 4 where you start getting redder and releasing off steam as you get closer to KO%?

Well, in Super Metroid Ridley got redder the closer he got to death too...
can you link to that announcement i cant remember that

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
All of this reasoning we have, now watch CoroCoro leak and have a picture of Ridley on Pyrosphere claiming him to be a stage boss. :glare:

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
I think im at like 95% with ridley i think the way sakurai has alluded to him (without a name and using phrasing similar to when he showed the palutena statue) it screams to me that ridley is playable
The scream is Ridley.

Ridley: RIDLEY!!!!!!!!

Ridley is a confirmed new pokemon.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
And it's on Pyrosphere stage!!! Coincidence? The illuminati guys...
Every pic showing prosphere without Ridley in it from now on aren't coincidence.

Seriously between August 20 and April 8, the same thing happened. We are now waiting for tease or reveal even though we hope for the latter (if former though, his chances just boosted).

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
All of this reasoning we have, now watch CoroCoro leak and have a picture of Ridley on Pyrosphere claiming him to be a stage boss. :glare:
ugh that'll suck so hard. :/ i know it corocoro will miss a few characters but i hope the pic they scan has ridley on it as a playable character

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
want to ask something what would be if we get 1 new mario charakter bowser jr. 1 new zelda charakter ghirahim one dk charakter K K. rool one pokemon veteran mewtwo metroid newcomer ridley
here the one thing
id we get antoher poke besides jigglypuff we have 6 well it isnt possibel for me to think that nintendo let their main frenchise Mario with less then pokemon
i think about 6 mario 6 zelda 6 pokemon for the big 3
and 3 dk 3 metroid 3 starfox for the other ones who are important
the other wont count because they got new members like paluthena
i know that this is stupid thinking because so many newcomers but then this would make perfect sense
and it would nullyfy every flame for mewtwo ridley and k. rool

majora_787

Smash Hero
want to ask something what would be if we get 1 new mario charakter bowser jr. 1 new zelda charakter ghirahim one dk charakter K K. rool one pokemon veteran mewtwo metroid newcomer ridley
here the one thing
id we get antoher poke besides jigglypuff we have 6 well it isnt possibel for me to think that nintendo let their main frenchise Mario with less then pokemon
i know that this is stupid thinking because so many newcomers but then this would make perfect sense
Mario had less than Pokemon in Brawl. Actually, Mario had MORE less in Brawl. Now it would be 5-6 instead of 4-6 like it was in Brawl. At least I think that was your main point? I'm not entirely sure.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
here the one thing
Just to put this in perspective:

I'm arguably the biggest Paper Mario supporter on this forum (own his support thread) and I can tell you without any bias that the mario rep = max rep just doesn't make sense. Just ssbb is enough to prove it (it's 6 rep, not 4).

Ridley is pretty likely anyway for me so...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I really doubt it was anything. Just a random cameo. Maybe a stage hazard/assist trophy at most.
Actually, skin of Pit. I think that's the only logical explanation. But yeah, I think it really was just a cameo, it was a nod to when Pit crashed Medusa's party in the original anime videos. People are really reading too much into it. Either way, Ridley is obviously playable.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I really doubt it was anything. Just a random cameo. Maybe a stage hazard/assist trophy at most.
I theorize it's a red herring to throw off people who take hints about anything as confirmation about a character. Like us Ridley fans.

And they threw Mr. Game & Watch in there to help solidify the Dark Pit idea.

Mr. Sakurai is truly a mad genius.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I theorize it's a red herring to throw off people who take hints about anything as confirmation about a character. Like us Ridley fans.

And they threw Mr. Game & Watch in there to help solidify the Dark Pit idea.

Mr. Sakurai is truly a mad genius.
Actually, skin of Pit. I think that's the only logical explanation. But yeah, I think it really was just a cameo, it was a nod to when Pit crashed Medusa's party in the original anime videos. People are really reading too much into it. Either way, Ridley is obviously playable.
Yeah, red herring / hoax is what I'm thinking. Sakurai is the ultimate troll, there's no denying that. As for a skin of Pit, the only problem I have with that is that he's technically a different character. Despite this, he is Pit. I have trouble concluding for that. Canonically, Dark Pit was never supposed to exist, but was accidentally created.

Top Bottom