• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

omg how can I explain this?

If this meaning is true, the shadow was to tease his playability. If it's the other meaning, it's to tease him as hazard.

You have to ASSUME both meaning.
No, I don't. Because one makes sense and the other is reaching for the Rosalina stars.

majora_787

Smash Hero
... "There are other bosses besides Yellow Devil" is supposed to explicitly deconfirm Ridley? In what universe? Not this one. Unless I suddenly managed to forget how the English language works on a basic level at some point.

And you know, of course Sakurai doesn't *NEED* to explicitly deconfirm anyone. But the fact of the matter is, he EXPLICITLY deconfirms *EVERYONE* he deconfirms. He even went out of his way to clarify that Chrom was not playable after the trailer today, because Chrom being in Robin's final smash was too ambiguous.

All we got out of the trailer was Ridley's rough size, his rough speed, his rough behavior, and the fact that he is in fact in the Wii U version of the game at least.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anyway, I do hope he's in the game! I'm a huge Metroid fan. I'm just trying to keep my expectations lowered as we can learn from the Chrom fans. :troll:

... "There are other bosses besides Yellow Devil" is supposed to explicitly deconfirm Ridley? In what universe? Not this one. Unless I suddenly managed to forget how the English language works on a basic level at some point.
Holy straw man, Batman!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Hey, nice buzz words! You're the one who literally came in here saying that statement deconfirmed Ridley and said we were being delusional. Either be serious or leave.
That's not what I said!

But okay, I'll be serious about this serious discussion concerning a space monster in a fighting game where italian plumbers beat up elves and gorillas.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If IsmaR has the power to lock down Ridley's own domain then Ridley obviously shows too much favoritism to IsmaR compared to other Pirates. I won't accept this! I'm taking this up to High Command! :cry:
Oi oi oi. I took me lumps. I started at the bottom scrubbing Mother Brain's tank with a toothbrush, just like the rest of ya. We blew up 4 motherships/threads and who knows how many more smaller ones, just being sent off to our deaths by the superiors in a then-unwinnable cause (Ride-lee 4 Barwlz 4 lyf3 son). Even after all the crushing defeats, getting banned/reconstructed almost as many times as Ridley himself (check out these mods, bro), and even with the possibility of another defeat, I'm still here maintaining and repairing this thread/ship. So if I want to stop/lock up before we either break down or crash into another black hole, then we stop/lock the dang ship until I can fix it/get us back on course. Questioning me is questioning Ridley, nay, questioning High Command. They have more important things to deal with, like experimenting on his size/repairing him for his next debut.

Of course we welcome you to take any constructive criticism and report it to the Space Pirate Resources deep in the Metroid feeding chambers. Just remember to turn off the protective shield long enough so SPR can reassign your bunk/rations to new recruits.

I did. Your "literal" explanation doesn't make sense.

"it could also mean "Other boss character (which might not be ridley) "
Then why show Ridley's shadow? Are we really going to argue that what's being spoken about isn't corresponding to what's literally on the screen?
Why show Phosphora as a trophy before being confirmed as an Assist Trophy?
Why show Mac's home stage specifically only in its "Smash" version despite it obviously being a Punch-Out!!! stage?
Why show Greninja's fingers the one moment they specifically resembled another certain Pokemon's?
Why tease a simple trophy of Pseudo-Palutena, heavily implying it was regular Palutena/that she was disconfirmed?
Why bother emphasizing Chrom in the latest newcomer trailer when he's not playable?
Why say ZSS isn't returning only to confirm/showcase her seconds later?

Are you really going to argue that you speak for Sakurai and know exactly how he thinks/why he does what he does?

majora_787

Smash Hero
That's not what I said!

But okay, I'll be serious about this serious discussion concerning a space monster in a fighting game where italian plumbers beat up elves and gorillas.
Seems you've chosen to be a troll and deliberately be as obnoxious as you can instead of even remotely trying to have a serious conversation. My tolerance for your shenanigans are about 0% so I'm just going to let you troll yourself to sleep tonight.

D

Deleted member

Seems you've chosen to be a troll and deliberately be as obnoxious as you can instead of even remotely trying to have a serious conversation. My tolerance for your shenanigans are about 0% so I'm just going to let you troll yourself to sleep tonight.
Jeez, lighten up! It's not that serious.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That's not what I said!

There is no elves in this game. Link and Zelda are NOT elves. And there is no "gorillaS", there is "gorilla".

Anyway, any attempts to tell something to SilervWind1 are futile like trying to show something to a guy behind a brick wall while he just shouts something. Only a Sakurai Confirmation drill will be able to break that wall and kill the guy behind that wall in a pretty painful way. So, don`t even try - he won`t listen.

D

Deleted member

Why show Phosphora as a trophy before being confirmed as an Assist Trophy?
Why show Mac's home stage specifically only in its "Smash" version despite it obviously being a Punch-Out!!! stage?
Why show Greninja's fingers the one moment they specifically resembled another certain Pokemon's?
Why tease a simple trophy of Pseudo-Palutena, heavily implying it was regular Palutena/that she was disconfirmed?
Why bother emphasizing Chrom in the latest newcomer trailer when he's not playable?
Why say ZSS isn't returning only to confirm/showcase her seconds later?

Are you really going to argue that you speak for Sakurai and know exactly how he thinks/why he does what he does?
I don't recall ever making that argument. Is every answer just going to be a straw man? Yikes.

Good first points though! But most everything in the game usually is a trophy, so those are poor examples. I don't think showing a trophy of Psuedo-Palutena "heavily implies" it was regular Palutena. It seemed to be Smash players having led expectations based on "leaks." All of these are very different than "oh yeah there will be other bosses so let me tease one by showing a shadow of an iconic character as I tell you this."

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I don't recall ever making that argument. Is every answer just going to be a straw man? Yikes.

Good first points though! But most everything in the game usually is a trophy, so those are poor examples. I don't think showing a trophy of Psuedo-Palutena "heavily implies" it was regular Palutena. It seemed to be Smash players having led expectations based on "leaks." All of these are very different than "oh yeah there will be other bosses so let me tease one by showing a shadow of an iconic character as I tell you this."
I don't know how long it will take you to realise that getting here wasn't a good idea but anyway...

I see the back of Palutena I expect to see her deconfirmed because it's implied that it's a trophy so Palutena fans gets worried for some seconds until it is revealed to NOT be her.

Question: why Sakurai showed the BACK of the trophy INSTEAD of any other direction?

If you don't get this, I'm done.

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
As much as I want Ridley to be shown on August !
Remember Sakurai is the unpredictable guy who made a Lucina/Robin (with Falcon wtf ?) when we all expected Shulk or Chrom !
Never expect something logical

D

Deleted member

I don't know how long it will take you to realise that getting here wasn't a good idea but anyway...

I see the back of Palutena I expect to see her deconfirmed because it's implied that it's a trophy so Palutena fans gets worried for some seconds until it is revealed to NOT be her.

Question: why Sakurai showed the BACK of the trophy INSTEAD of any other direction?

If you don't get this, I'm done.
But aren't all confirmed characters also trophies? I see what you mean but I just look at it differently.

We'll have to agree to disagree :)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
As much as I want Ridley to be shown on August !
Remember Sakurai is the unpredictable guy who made a Lucina/Robin (with Falcon wtf ?) when we all expected Shulk or Chrom !
Never expect something logical
Then it will be Anthony or Daisy because THAT is not logical...hm...logical...logic...unexpected character...Shockwave confirmed as a playable character :substitute:

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
But aren't all confirmed characters also trophies? I see what you mean but I just look at it differently.

ok here's the catch: if it;s obvious that the trophy use already made or official render NOT revealed before (since I would saw that in the website aleady), it implies a deconfirmation.

Wonder red is good example the render is the same in its game and I didn't see it on the site before.

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
I have to do this, sorry

in you mario!

I love so much this music. I f you want, replace mario by ridley.
Lol Paper Mario is not even a Nintendo character, Goku has more chances !

By the way awesome music, it reminds me of the master piece Super Paper Mario (yeah I didn't play Paper Mario 2)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Lol Paper Mario is not even a Nintendo character, Goku has more chances !

By the way awesome music, it reminds me of the master piece Super Paper Mario (yeah I didn't play Paper Mario 2)
Allow me to fix this ok?

go here -> http://www.ebay.com/

No seriously get that game. I got so much addicted by it because of its awesomeness that I glitch hunted it for 6 months and I'm still addicted to it today. Main reason I love Paper Mario and became the OP of his support thread.

This music is the best encouragement music I've heard. It's perfection and I dream of any reveal trailer with this music (imagine Ridley...)

Last edited:

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
Allow me to fix this ok?

go here -> http://www.ebay.com/

No seriously get that game. I got so much addicted by it because of its awesomeness that I glitch hunted it for 6 months and I'm still addicted to it today. Main reason I love Paper Mario and became the OP of his support thread.

This music is the best encouragement music I've heard. It's perfection and I dream of any reveal trailer with this music (imagine Ridley...)
I guess i'll try to download get the game this summer as I got time !

I think it's a little bit to "nice" for Ridley in my opinion, but I see your point in hoping and all, I have to say that this music made me smile !

I just imagine everyday how the reveal of Ridley could be and how I will react, every f**king time I see the smash logo with the sword sound at the begining of a trailer I'm like "My body is Ridley, in seconds I will get to see you ..." Aaaaaaand it's gone (actually i like every newcomer so far)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I guess i'll try to download get the game this summer as I got time !

I think it's a little bit to "nice" for Ridley in my opinion, but I see your point in hoping and all, I have to say that this music made me smile !

I just imagine everyday how the reveal of Ridley could be and how I will react, every f**king time I see the smash logo with the sword sound at the begining of a trailer I'm like "My body is Ridley, in seconds I will get to see you ..." Aaaaaaand it's gone (actually i like every newcomer so far)
oh so you would use dolphin?

well, this is a worse case than Ridley but you can check this if you want

:troll:

I actually have 130 saves to use on it in my dropbox :)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

*does math*
*sees 2 of 6 examples use trophies*
*questions statement at all*

You'd fit in great in Florida, by the way :D

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
oh so you would use dolphin?

well, this is a worse case than Ridley but you can check this if you want

:troll:

I actually have 130 saves to use on it in my dropbox :)
What the ???
I dont get what is your video, is this a hack ? A glitch ?
(i guess it's where you took your avatar image)

(I can play Gg games on my wii with SD card, no dolphin for me)

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
I made a trivia in vgfacts a while ago here:

http://www.vgfacts.com/trivia/6003/

It's the weirdest thing I could find EVER.

If you have any idea why it's there TELL ME IMMEDIATELY!!!

And yes, I found it :)
Ok i see ! I also love to find eastereggs and glitches in game.
It's intersting to think about how the programming endend to do this (seriously mario's arm in the background wtfff)

I don't know if you know me by my Username but I have also found some little glitches and did hack on Brawl :)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not buying that leak for a second. The poster never mentioned that Robin would be playable, and I seriously doubt that Sakurai would want to implement a stupid mechanic like playable bosses. I mean, what's the point of making Ridley playable in that mode when you could have used the time and effort to make him an actual character.
Yeah, a playable boss mode just sounds like a copout as it's been in other fighters, like that playable Galactus mode or whatever in UMvsC3. And if said boss mode isn't even playable online (thus no Ridley online) then what's the point? Others of course would say that we should be grateful that Ridley's at least playable in some form which they'd be right to an extent, but it'd still feel like an empty or half-baked victory.. And the bosses made playable in a mode just to test the waters of the Wii U's gamepad? Yeah, not buying that anyway.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well at best we only have to wait two more months until we know whether Ridley is playable or not in Smash 4 (Smash 4 3DS will be released on September 13th in Japan). I have a feeling though that Sakurai will shed more light on the Pyrsophere next month (to coincide with the one year anniversary for the unveil).

My personal bet is that Ridley is a stage boss, and not a playable character. There might be a special playable boss mode to the Wii U version, but still Ridley won't be playable in the conventional sense.

I think the Gematsu source also simply had outdated information relating to Chrom. Looking at how similar Lucina is to Marth (even more similar than Roy was to Marth), she easily could have been made within the last few months or even weeks. However, its a bit strange about how he overlooked Robin.

I do think the last two newcomer trailers are centered around Shulk and Rhythm Heaven. Whether or not there are additional newcomers in those trailers (like there was with the Lucina one), remains to be seen, but I am not optimistic.

Still, Sakurai is running out of time to keeping hiding the truth.

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice

Welcome to the forums, haha! Note that there are a lot of people who come to "troll" the thread, and they're generally quite rude, so tensions tend to run high pretty quick. Don't take it too personally. :)
Historically speaking, being revealed as a trophy FIRST essentially deconfirms a character. This is because every character reveal is meant to be exciting and dramatic, and trophies are never a good "first reveal". Yes, every character has a trophy, several if they're playable, but if the trophy is shown first there's a very very very good chance that the trophy is the only representation that character otherwise has. Like for example, Waluigi is an assist trophy, but we saw in game footage of him, and we have yet to see any trophies of the playable characters we have. If we do, we see the trophy looooong after that character has been fully revealed and confirmed.

As for why Ridley has a chance, there are hundreds of pages of discussion but I'll shorten it as best I can.
1) The size of the shadow. There've been quite a few analyses of the shadow's size, you might be able to find them if you're curious, but basically the end result is that Ridley has been resized from his Brawl counterpart. He's dramatically smaller, and we're not exactly sure why. I mean, if he is just a boss or a stage hazard, why would you bother attempting to make him smaller? It's odd.
2) The behaviour of the shadow. It moves jerkily and suddenly. If you look at footage from Brawl, or any other boss character, their movements are telegraphed and very smoothly animated. Only playable characters (that we know of) move in such a sudden way.
3) Sakurai's willingness to deconfirm. This go around, Sakurai has been trying to make things as clear as possible. He'll explicitly say things like "Unfortunately this means that _____ won't be joining the roster". Even in the Lucina reveal, he made sure to highlight the fact that Chrom is not playable, but exists in Robin's final smash. When he reveals people, he really reveals them. But before that time, he won't even so much as acknowledge their presence. Because Ridley has been teased so much, but never explicitly mentioned, people are wondering what it means. Sure, it doesn't necessarily mean he's playable, but it does mean that Sakurai has something in mind for him.
4) Metroid is an important franchise, and it needs more representation. The simple fact of the matter is that no other character fits as Metroid representation, really. Hell, they had to resize Ridley to make him fit, theoretically, haha.

So yeah, there's loooooads more, but that should be enough to ease you in! Hopefully you see our side. Doesn't mean you have to agree with it, so don't feel pressured. Enjoy your stay!

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I'm really curious here but who else here has played every Metroid game? I own and have played every game in the series and beaten all but the original (for reasons "unknown") and I haven't gotten around to ever finishing 2 (at this point it just confuses the crap outta me cause I have no idea where I am
I've played all Metroid games, apart from the demo First Hunt.

I have:
6 copies of Metroid (Wii VC, GBA NES Classics, Zero Mission extra, Prime extra, 3DS VC).
1 copy of Zero Mission (GBA), but will get on WiiU VC when it's available.
2 copies of Metroid Prime (GC, Wii - Prime Trilogy).
1 copy of Metroid Prime Pinball (DS).
1 copy of Metroid Prime Hunters (DS).
2 copies of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GC, Wii - Prime Trilogy)
2 copies of Metroid Prime 3 Corruption (Wii, Prime Trilogy).
2 copies of Metroid II (GB, 3DS VC).
2 copies of Super Metroid (Wii VC, WiiU VC).
1 copy of Other M (Wii), and it'll stay at 1 copy (though I'd totally get a Japanese copy just purely for the cool case).
2 copies of Metroid Fusion (GBA, WiiU VC).

And most of these games have Ridley in it, he's always the best part \o/

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ok so let's look at this posted a month ago on Gamefaqs.

I hate to say it but I think this Garfield guy has some legit info. If true, I don't know why he would think we would want a playable boss Ridley for a special mode but it has been something many of us assumed could be a logical conclusion to all the teasing. I want Ridley playable but not like that!

If that's how things came to be with Ridley it would all make sense. Take it with a grain of salt but just keep it in mind. It would be like everyone on both sides of the argument would win... Ugh!
Ergh... well, I believe it. Mostly because we have seen the first is true, and I think we saw the second is true, or at least, that Marshall is playable (id prefer Chorus kids, but didnt we get a leak of Marshall footage on Balloon Fight a while back that looked very convincing and yet no one talks about?)

I don't think it is an inherently bad idea to have playable boss mode, I just think it is to do so when we are saying K Rool and Ridley are the same as Yellow Devil and a silly dragon from Find Mii.

Last edited:

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
About that Garfield leak. Not casting my die for or against, but to those who are saying its fake because the Wii U tablet can't be used to play the boss characters for the 3DS, need I remind you that on the 3DS everyone has their own screen anyways, so it wouldn't necessarily matter. The Tablet wouldn't really be needed as everyone's system is already a touch screen tablet.

Playable Boss Ridley would be a disappointment on some level, but I'd deal.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Found something not about Ridley, but still kinda funny:
Best part of the trailer (well...it wasn`t exactly like that obviously, but who cares)...but they still talk about that leak...duh...I don`t believe Garfield leak too, like i awlays do, and i hope it won`t get as brainwashing as Gematsu and Sal leaks.

Oh, i think there is something else that deconfirms this Garfield (...sounds kinda funny...) leak - 3DS and WiiU have separate stages. So, not all of the stages with bosses will be available in both versions. Roster is same in both versions. And who would like to play as Yellow Devil if he can attack only with eye laser and by separating and combining again? Latter attack would be OP if player could spam it and YD can`t walk, so, it will be even more boring than playing Big Rigs.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Aaah King of Skulls is right Lucina does have an own character sloth! My bad.

Anyways will there be a direct in August? Nothing points towards it.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Found something not about Ridley, but still kinda funny:

Oh, i think there is something else that deconfirms this leak - 3DS and WiiU have separate stages. So, not all of the stages with bosses will be available in both versions. Roster is same in both versions. And who would like to play as Yellow Devil if he can attack only with eye laser and by separating and combining again? Latter attack would be OP if player could spam it and YD can`t walk, so, it will be even more boring than playing Big Rigs.
That is far more solid a point, IMO.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo dropped assymetrical gameplay a long time ago*, they probably stopped making games with that gameplay before the console was released. There is no chance Sakurai wasted development resources on that. It may make sense in the head of some fans, but Im sure if the feature was fun it would have been advertised before, probably in April or E3 this year. Plus, Sakurai mentioned before that there would be no Gamepad specific gameplay.
Smash 4 seems to have taken a very "gimmick-free" turn, with many modifications towards making the core escense of the base game more serious. A playable boss, IMO, doesn't fit in that vision.

* As in, the gamepad player fits a completely different role than everyone else, after Game & Wario, local multiplayer games used the gamepad just like the other controllers but with some extra stuff, like Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart. The probably had the assymetrical gameplay as proof of concept early in the console's life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom