• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Y'know, having Ridley playable would feel like the end of an era. Ridley fans have been fighting for so long... to not have to fight anymore about it... it'd be weird and wonderful.

If that's gonna happen, I got down the Metroid dates. Credit goes to BlueBubbee though.
Thanks, man. :seuss:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Okay, once AGAIN Sakurai has cleared up confusion surrounding a playable character. In the POTD he completely cleared up the Lucina fiasco, with not one but several pictures. Why won't he make Ridley's role clear? Because they're not ready to announce his playability.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
OKAY GUYS I GOT SOME BIG NEWS

@ IsmaR IsmaR has given me permission to edit some of the OP with all of the evidence that we would like.

Until 5PM EST Tommorow I will be taking submissions for what is the best evidence presented on this thread.

We will finally have a centralized hub to keep all of our biggest cases in.

My first idea are @aldelaro5 essay and @ Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123 shadow analysis (though SOB, I recommend cleaning it up with grammar and making it look nice and presentable)

IF ANYONE has any favorite posts on these boards that they would like to see on the front for the detractors to see, please message me, or quote me here on the thread!

THANK YOU SO MUCH DUDES!
I didn't do anything, but I say put the 4 trophy stuff from the direct, because so far they have been accurate, the music that plays when they are shown has significance to the newcomers (Robin's theme, ballad of the godess with a bit of Ghirahim's theme, Main theme of KIU because Palutena doesn't have a theme and Ridley's theme

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
OKAY GUYS I GOT SOME BIG NEWS

@ IsmaR IsmaR has given me permission to edit some of the OP with all of the evidence that we would like.

Until 5PM EST Tommorow I will be taking submissions for what is the best evidence presented on this thread.

We will finally have a centralized hub to keep all of our biggest cases in.

My first idea are @aldelaro5 essay and @ Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123 shadow analysis (though SOB, I recommend cleaning it up with grammar and making it look nice and presentable)

IF ANYONE has any favorite posts on these boards that they would like to see on the front for the detractors to see, please message me, or quote me here on the thread!

THANK YOU SO MUCH DUDES!
Personally, I've been thinking of an argument that pretty much blows the "HE'S TOO BIG" thing out of the water, and that's the inclusion of a stage that's been around since SSB64, the Great Fox.

Take a look at the size of the players on the Great Fox. Obviously, the Great Fox has been sized down. But by how much?

If we use this image as an example as to how big Fox is compared to his Arwing (The Arwing may be a little smaller, but the point stands), we can see how big Fox "really" is.

Now, what we have to do is compare the size of an Arwing to the size of the Great Fox.

In the top right. Those are the Arwings. The Great Fox is ****ing huge.

If scaling down the Great Fox by THAT much is no problem at all? I don't think scaling down a character is.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Found something not about Ridley, but still kinda funny:

Oh, i think there is something else that deconfirms this Garfield (...sounds kinda funny...) leak - 3DS and WiiU have separate stages. So, not all of the stages with bosses will be available in both versions. Roster is same in both versions. And who would like to play as Yellow Devil if he can attack only with eye laser and by separating and combining again? Latter attack would be OP if player could spam it and YD can`t walk, so, it will be even more boring than playing Big Rigs.
I could see a mode where we control bosses... easily.
But I do not see why that would mean we don't play as characters. If Ridley is a boss, he is likely playable, also. The yellow devil thing is correct- shooting from your eye and teleporting. I'm sure this could be an option- in general.

Yet, if one Ridley is a boss, there is no way that would be considered less disappointing or fulfilling than a scaled down version to play with. In other words, Sakurai would have let his fans down by putting THAT as a playable Ridley, which is what he said he was specifically trying to avoid.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
First of all, it would be August by that time, second, we have enough to know Ridley is playable, and third, Corocoro did this with Brawl and didn't show some secret characters
Corocoro lied for Brawl too. I don't believe them. Maybe they'll reveal the starting roster, but not the full one.
Yeah, I know.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Todays PotD further solidifies my belief that Ridley is 100% for sure playable. If sakurai heard about the small misconception that Lucina might be an alt for marth in less than 24 hours and clarified THE VERY NEXT DAY with not 1 but 4 pictures, there is just no possible way that he wouldn't have heard of the Ridley theory and clarified it after MONTHS of misconception, unless it wasn't a misconception and our theories are spot on. Honestly, at this point the battle has just become a waiting game. He'll probably be revealed in August, but if he isn't, I won't be worried because I have no doubt that he's in as playable. No doubt at all.

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
August Direct: the dream

They reveal the "last two" newcomers Shulk and stupid Chorus Kids or something at the beginning of the Direct
At the end of the Direct it fades out
Then suddenly Ridley just drops in and you see the character card
[Smash Bros will release for 3DS this October 2014]
I hope Sakurai knows just how much hype that would create.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I'm optimistic about Ridley being playable, but I'm not confident enough to say more than 50-50. Don't get me wrong, I believe that yesterday increased Ridley's chances, but I just don't want to be overconfident and then end up being let down afterwards, because it'll hurt more if the worse case happens (which I hope doesn't happen, Ridley needs to be playable this time).

It does seem strange how:

Disconfirmed characters
Waluigi - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct.
Ashley - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct.
Starfy - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct.
Samurai Goroh - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in the SSB Direct.
Dark Samus - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in the SSB Direct.
Dillon - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD.
Midna - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct.
Isabelle - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct.
Phosphora - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown in a PotD, role later revealed in another PoTD/screenshot.
Chrom - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified (through gameplay) in the video yesterday.

Ridley
Not named.
Not shown (we only saw his shadow and a tail (if slowed down the clip/stop).
Role wasn't specified, his was basically called a boss character without being directly referenced, implied to be doing something on Pyrosphere.
Teasing via a PotD, shadow in the direct, trophy quiz in the direct.
Loads of Pyrosphere pictures and many clips of footage of Pyrosphere that lack Ridley.
No Pyrosphere presence at E3 or in demos, and Sakurai didn't mention Ridley.

It's like Sakurai doesn't want people to get the wrong idea, and wants to get it out the way and say who is and who isn't playable. But then why is Ridley, written off by many as supposedly "dis-confirmed", getting different treatment from the rest...? And what's worth noting, after the confusion of yesterday's video, Nintendo went out their way to confirm to people that Chrom is not playable. Months after the SSB Direct, we have not heard anything from either Sakurai or Nintendo about Ridley. If he's meant to be not playable, why didn't they say it there and then? It just seems like a baffling strategy for Sakurai to do, if Ridley isn't playable, he should have said there and then, not drag it out for months on end and up to the Japanese release day, getting our hopes up and then destroying them afterwards. People want to know about Ridley, yet he's tip-toeing around the subject still... I seriously want Ridley playable, and not knowing any concrete information is what's really annoying about this situation, and it's getting to the point where I'm getting annoyed with Sakurai.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I'm gonna be gone most of the day so I won't make the timestamp I promised earlier (5). I'll get it finished when I can, however.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Todays PotD further solidifies my belief that Ridley is 100% for sure playable. If sakurai heard about the small misconception that Lucina might be an alt for marth in less than 24 hours and clarified THE VERY NEXT DAY with not 1 but 4 pictures, there is just no possible way that he wouldn't have heard of the Ridley theory and clarified it after MONTHS of misconception, unless it wasn't a misconception and our theories are spot on. Honestly, at this point the battle has just become a waiting game. He'll probably be revealed in August, but if he isn't, I won't be worried because I have no doubt that he's in as playable. No doubt at all.
Insinuating that a character is not playable, but not showing any solid proof of this. At the end, this is just a smart strategy of Sakurai in both scenarios (Ridley being playable or not being playable). If Ridley is revealed as a playable character it would be exciting, especially now that many lost faith on this. If you find that Ridley is not playable, you cannot blame Sakurai at all, because "he warned you" with months of advance.

Personally, i wouldnt be completely confident with Ridley, both scenarios sound plausible for me.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I'm optimistic about Ridley being playable, but I'm not confident enough to say more than 50-50. Don't get me wrong, I believe that yesterday increased Ridley's chances, but I just don't want to be overconfident and then end up being let down afterwards, because it'll hurt more if the worse case happens (which I hope doesn't happen, Ridley needs to be playable this time).

Disconfirmed characters
Waluigi - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct.
Ashley - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct.
Starfy - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct.
Samurai Goroh - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in the SSB Direct.
Dark Samus - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in the SSB Direct.
Dillon - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD.
Midna - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct.
Isabelle - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct.
Phosphora - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown in a PotD, role later revealed in another PoTD/screenshot.
Chrom - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified (through gameplay) in the video yesterday.

Ridley
Not named.
Role wasn't specified, his was basically called a boss character without being directly referenced, implied to be doing something on Pyrosphere.
Loads of Pyrosphere pictures and many clips of footage of Pyrosphere that lack Ridley.

It's like Sakurai doesn't want people to get the wrong idea, and wants to get it out the way and say who is and who isn't playable. But then why is Ridley, written off by many as supposedly "dis-confirmed", getting different treatment from the rest...? And what's worth noting, after the confusion of yesterday's video, Nintendo went out their way to confirm to people that Chrom is not playable. Months after the SSB Direct, we have not heard anything from either Sakurai or Nintendo about Ridley. If he's meant to be not playable, why didn't they say it there and then? It just seems like a baffling strategy for Sakurai to do, if Ridley isn't playable, he should have said there and then, not drag it out for months on end and up to the Japanese release day, getting our hopes up and then destroying them afterwards. People want to know about Ridley, yet he's tip-toeing around the subject still... I seriously want Ridley playable, and not knowing any concrete information is what's really annoying about this situation, and it's getting to the point where I'm getting annoyed with Sakurai.
@ Con0rrrr Con0rrrr If I thought a post should get on the OP, it'd be this one. Well, this one and Majora's one regarding how hyping him up to be a boss would be stupid.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I don't see why you need any of those posts

Just put a picture of Sakurai in a leprechaun outfit or that willy wonka sakurai pic

All you need to know is Sakurai is a troll

Nothing else really matters at this point

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
August Direct: the dream

They reveal the "last two" newcomers Shulk and stupid Chorus Kids or something at the beginning of the Direct
At the end of the Direct it fades out
Then suddenly Ridley just drops in and you see the character card
[Smash Bros will release for 3DS this October 2014]
I hope Sakurai knows just how much hype that would create.
Now that you bring that up, I had a trailer idea based off of the first part of what you said:

All you can see is a peaceful meadow, wind rustling through the grass. The camera details how calm the grass is with a zoom-in of the grass. Suddenly, a reddish boot steps on the (zoomed-in) grass. The camera zooms out and you see that the boot belonged to Shulk. His back is to the camera, as he runs away. The camera pans to his face, and he looks very worried. Tucked under his left arm (sort of like a football) is Marshal (?), one of the Chorus Kids, and in his right hand is the Monado, his sword. The camera goes back to where he's facing away from the camera and running away. He seems as if he's running from something. A shadow falls over him, and he turns around and looks to the sky. You see Ridley in the sky, and he swoops down for Shulk and Marshal. Shulk jumps at Ridley and swings his sword, and then the gameplay starts.

I hope you know what I'm trying to say from that, I'm not exactly a good writer...

samsparta21

Smash Ace

Disconfirmed characters

Ridley
Not named.

Again Sakurai has shown that he's very aware of the community. He cleared up Lucina being an alt just today, Chrom, the ATs, all that stuff.

While I've never really supported the "Ridley treatment" theory, I think it has more meaning now that we see just how much Sakurai pays attention to us. He KNOWS we want Ridley.

The problem is he still flies in the trailer, meaning there is a boss form of Ridley. Does he get replaced by Meta Ridley while Ridley is playing on the stage or what?

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Again Sakurai has shown that he's very aware of the community. He cleared up Lucina being an alt just today, Chrom, the ATs, all that stuff.

While I've never really supported the "Ridley treatment" theory, I think it has more meaning now that we see just how much Sakurai pays attention to us. He KNOWS we want Ridley.

The problem is he still flies in the trailer, meaning there is a boss form of Ridley. Does he get replaced by Meta Ridley while Ridley is playing on the stage or what?
The fact that he flies in the trailer has been speculated by some (including myself), as either a flight mechanic (possibly something which can be toggled) or he hovers above the ground instead of walking. The movement seems a little off for that to be a stage hazard Ridley, and it doesn't make sense why he doubled back on himself if he was just a boss hazard. Only theory I can come up with is Ridley follows Pikachu and grabs him or uses a projectile which is why he pauses, continues to the left of the stage where Pikachu then dies and respawns which is why Ridley turns around, but I don't buy that.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

Pffff, everyone knows we get boss Alfonzo

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Part of me wants Alfonzo as a stage hazard now, which would be some sort of Easter egg triggered under certain conditions
I can imagine how he will work/behave/attack/whatever. When he hits someone, he takes his place while that character takes his place.
Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!"

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Well, I now am certain Ridley is a lock, and have convinced a few people I know on him.
(P.S, I think I am immune to the splooge water, that's all we have in hell New Jersey)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hmm. Alright. Maybe bold certain things and use font sizes, Just try some stuff. Bullet points maybe? Just see what you can do, it's fine either way
Sure i can bold the important parts

And make the words bigger

(I still need to add megamans shadow points anyway.)

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
There is the fact that Nabbit was shown after E3 on a stage that was selectable there, but looking back now, I bet it was another one of Sakurai tricks. After news spread that Pyrosphere wasn't in the demo builds, many of us here quickly jumped on the playable Ridley wagon. Well, then Nabbit showed up seemingly destroying that theory, but chances are Sakurai did that on purpose to throw us off yet again.

As said many times previously, Sakurai will go to any lengths to keep us guessing, so the craziest ideas are probably the ones he'll go with.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There is the fact that Nabbit was shown after E3 on a stage that was selectable there, but looking back now, I bet it was another one of Sakurai tricks. After news spread that Pyrosphere wasn't in the demo builds, many of us here quickly jumped on the playable Ridley wagon. Well, then Nabbit showed up seemingly destroying that theory, but chances are Sakurai did that on purpose to throw us off yet again.

As said many times previously, Sakurai will go to any lengths to keep us guessing, so the craziest ideas are probably the ones he'll go with.
Sakurai helped us that time! He proved unfinished stages were in the demo, and it contradicted toobigots

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Yea it helped

Even if the pyropshere was stage demo it may be changed in the future.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Welcome! have a good time.

Speaking of which I very badly want to edit my avatar to make it a Ridley silhouette but that's a pretty big commitment you know?
Well, it depends on how badly you want it. That and think that you will be sporting that new avatar for a long time, if you plan to keep it for long.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Do people really still think that we're only getting Shulk and Chorus? Lol
Maybe, maybe not. Depends if those bits of information were true. But now that the leak is debunked, Chorus Kids don't have anything to support them anymore over any other RH representation, except the enemies in smash run.

How was yesterday ;

Vive la République et vive la France !

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Wow sakurai does listen wtf!!!!!

He must've see that almost every internetsource has Ridley written all over them and is using this guy to hype smash up!!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
You know, I find it weird how the character reveal on some rinky-dink day in July somehow managed to out-hype the grand coupe de grace of E3, the shining beacon of video games.

Personally, it's a bit insulting!
I think it is mainly because people were not expecting Robin/Lucina as badly as they were expecting Palutena/Pacman and the Mii Fighters.

Then you have the stuff that people wanted to see more of at E3, Legend of Zelda Wii U and Star Fox Wii U. Regardless if people really wanted to see those or not, they did give the newcomers a much harder time to lift people's spirits up

Top Bottom