• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Not at all! Relevancy means NOTHING when it comes to new series. It explains why we have Pit, Game and Watch, and R.O.B. But I would argue it does for sure mean something with series that have representative already and are established franchises. This means even more for the DKC games seeing as they were completely rebooted. So when looking for a relevant character to add, they'd be more likely to look at the reboots where there is no sign of him :(

I hate saying this as I LOVE K Rool and think he has a place for Smash. Just here on Smashboards we're not real with ourselves sometimes. People are saying he's a shoe in when there's zero evidence to support that. If they were to add a character from DK to the game, I sadly think it'd be Dixie :( Because she is relevant to the series and that seems to be how Smash picks characters from already represented franchises. But who knows? I'd be SO excited to be proven incorrect at release.
I completely agree about K Rool. I was really disappointed when he wasn't in DKC:TF, which is probably why I hate the Fredrik character. On the bright side of that, I found this:

In all honesty, though, who else could be a Metroid rep? Many of the bosses are way too big :troll:, and the Prime Hunters aren't relevant enough (even though they're really cool).

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley and Samus are the only characters in the entire series who are even consistent to half of the games or more. Everyone else has a track record of between one to three games, including remakes. He ridley doesn't have any competition, especially with Dark Samus being an assist trophy.

And honestly, people don't seem to get this. If relevance were all that mattered, we wouldn't have Kremlings right now. In fact, despite Kremlings being entirely replaced by two sets of unique enemies, they went out of their way to include kremlings in this game anyway. People go "WOW KREMLINGS ONLY LOOK GOOD FOR K. ROOL AS MUCH AS TIKIS LOOK GOOD FOR TIKI TONG" but really.

Relevant because I think the anti-Ridley morons and the anti-K. Rool morons are the same people, if only to convince myself there are slightly fewer mentally inept people in the world.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Relevant because I think the anti-Ridley morons and the anti-K. Rool morons are the same people, if only to convince myself there are slightly fewer mentally inept people in the world.
You are very clearly in denial. The world is full of idiots.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Speaking of K.rool, he is twice the size of DK, no? And Ridley is twice as tall as Samus. DK is slightly taller, and if my data is correct, K.rool is slightly taller than Ridley
Crocodiles comes in all size and shapes, Ridley is a DRAGON :

-Metroid 2 ? Big as **** !
-Metroid Prime Hunters ? Big as **** !
-Metroid Prime 2 ? Big as **** !

-Metroid have a remake so you have to act like it never existed and because of graphical limitation Ridley couldn't be made bigger, it was the limit for the NES !

-Super smash bros melee is not gameplay so it doesn't count because I say so !

-Metroid Pinball is a spin off so it doesn't count, Smash is a main Metroid game !

I swear to god you dumb Ridley fans get stupider by the day, and no you can't be mad at me because I'm going to claim that I'm a Metroid fan, that I love Ridley and want him in smash even I tough I never show any proof of it, never will and will only make post to insult the Ridley fanbase !

Sad to say that this is more convincing than a good part of our opposition who just stick to "LOL RIDLEY IS TOO BIG RIDLEY FA** DEAL WITH IT" !

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero

-Metroid have a remake so you have to act like it never existed and because of graphical limitation Ridley couldn't be made bigger, it was the limit for the NES !

-Metroid Pinball is a spin off so it doesn't count, Smash is a main Metroid game !

I swear to god you dumb Ridley fans get stupider by the day, and no you can't be mad at me because I'm going to claim that I'm a Metroid fan, that I love Ridley and want him in smash even I tough I never show any proof of it, never will and will only make post to insult the Ridley fanbase !

Sad to say that this is more convincing than a good part of our opposition who just stick to "LOL RIDLEY IS TOO BIG RIDLEY FA** DEAL WITH IT" !
LOL. I always thought there was something wrong with the "graphical limitations" argument. I just could never put my finger on it. Here you have it, folks.

EDIT: It's funny because if you double up Ridley's size he's still only Yellow Devil's size, still not even the largest thing there.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

So... Is Godzilla not too big?

Xhampi

Smash Lord
LOL. I always thought there was something wrong with the "graphical limitations" argument. I just could never put my finger on it. Here you have it, folks.

EDIT: It's funny because if you double up Ridley's size he's still only Yellow Devil's size, still not even the largest thing there.
My NES knowledge is very limited, back in the day I only played Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt so I'm pretty sure that there is way bigger than those, but it gives a good idea of what the NES was capable of, people really understimate the NES if they think it wasn't able to make Ridley a big boss.
But you know the song "Metroid was retconned by Zero Mission, this how Ridley was supposed to be back in the day even tough I have no proof of this", it's just a pathetic excuse so they don't have to aknowledge that Ridley was a possible size, the other one usually used is "so you want the original Ridley design then :troll:", as in "I'm going to make a joke about it and completly ignore it".

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I can already see people looking at that picture and screaming "RIDLEY'S TOO BIG! HE'S ALMOST AS BIG AS GOD-****ING-ZILLA!!!!!".
Which is pretty funny considering that Godzilla (with Samus of course) is the only character of this chart who isn't a boss, it's a main playable character ^^

majora_787

Smash Hero
Of course, I'm sure Ridley being big in Zero Mission has NOTHING to do with him being big in Super Metroid, Prime, and Fusion and them just deciding he should be bigger for some level of boss consistency. :troll: That would be ridiculous.

Just like all of those times Bowser was made tiny during his own boss battles.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Of course, I'm sure Ridley being big in Zero Mission has NOTHING to do with him being big in Super Metroid, Prime, and Fusion and them just deciding he should be bigger for some level of boss consistency. :troll: That would be ridiculous.

Just like all of those times Bowser was made tiny during his own boss battles.
It's Bowser using Kamek magic duh !
Ridley can't use science to modify his body like every other space pirate are known to be capable of duh !

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley was only ever made sort of big so he'd be possible to actually target and shoot down, which is already decently hard due to his tail blocking all attacks. In Metroid 1 it's so damn hard to get through to him because of his fireball spamming and his small size.

D

Deleted member

One of these days Ridley and K Rool need to team up to go on an adventure.

With hilarious results of course.
So... can I start shipping K. Rool x Ridley then?

Oh the fanfics that could come out of that...

Also, if we're talking sitcoms, Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo should do a Three's Company style thing with Ganondorf as the landlord.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So... can I start shipping K. Rool x Ridley then?

Oh the fanfics that could come out of that...
Ridley stared deeply into K. Rool's one, bloodshot eye, and felt a stirring, more deep and exhilarating than a freshly-slaughtered planet. This fellow Pirate too reveled in the joy in killing a bunch of monkeys, and perhaps had more, in common...

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

One could always assert that the Ridley from Melee's cut-scene is not relevant precedent that clearly demonstrates his size as feasible as he was developed exclusively for a non-Metroid game's cameo (similar to Metroid pinball). It would not pertain to playable Ridley as that was not an actual workable model developed for the purpose or intent of a playable character, but demonstrative purposes. It can only be used in the context that Ridley has appeared re-scaled in Smash prior. It sounds as though you were insinuating that the notion that he does not appear with an in-game model was arbitrary. However, that is certainly the case and I guarantee that Ridley would not be operational or functional at that point in time given the limitations of the Gamecube.

I would like to address the re-scaling argument. Everyone wastes time on this one. The detractors merely need to utter, "Olimar or Bowser do not pertain to Ridley as they are in entirely different situations" and we, as supporters, only need to state, "it is a non-canon game." Simple. Those arguments are not opinion, they are both fact. I am not sure why anyone spent time on those, it is one of the most embarrassing aspects of this thread in my opinion.

If you honestly believe that citing "Metroid Pinball" is good debating, that is your prerogative. I will admit that it is, again, relevant to demonstrate that he can be re-sized for a non-canon spin-off game. However, I find it more plausible to ignore most of the spin-off games because we are not advocating for spin-off Ridley. I was operating under the assumption that we wanted the real deal.

Secondly, regardless of whether or not there is objective merit in the "too big" argument it is a completely and utterly feasible argument based on subjective principles. It is not material that, say a Ridley supporter, does not find his size to be an issue. It is logical to assert that his personality and presentation correlate to his size. It is undeniable that Ridley is predominantly perceived as quite the large individual. Even if there are a couple of discrepancies. These merely illustrate that his size is not consistent, they do not; however, demonstrate that his size is not consistently large. Despite the inherent nature of a cross-over fighting game, an individual has a right to declare that it would not be natural to have a smaller Ridley facing off against characters like Mario. Other than that, the same can apply to the "his boss role fits his character." These are, of course, opinions and they should be treated as such. The opposition tends to treat it as fact just as much as Ridley supporters do which is (obviously) fallacious. It does not prove that he is not possible, but the point is not entirely moot either. It is pretentious and confirmation bias to treat the perspective that way.

Ridley's initial appearance should and could be disregarded for the sake of the argument. One can always bring it up when necessary, such as when another states that, "it would be unnatural to see a smaller Ridley facing off against Samus." If Ridley was intended to be that small, he would remain that small in future titles. However, we instead see a design direction alteration (aesthetically as well). It is not material if the graphical limitations were a contributing factor or not. No one envisions Ridley to be in his "Metroid" appearance .So that argument that he was once the size of Samus is just as laughable as the argument that it would be unnatural to see Ridley in a size similar to one of his previous incarnations confronting Samus.

Lastly, we presume to comprehend the development of the game. However, we cannot assume that Ridley's development is just as practical as another characters. Sakurai has quite literally stated that he believed him to be (probably) impossible, after that, he erroneously declared that he would probably be a little slow. Of course this could have changed, but it is STILL a realistic argument based on the fact that Sakurai blatantly tells us it would be difficult. He does not explain why that is the case. Therefore, we are not sure if it is based on re-scaling problems, model problems, technical problems, implementation problems, idea problems. It could be anything, so of course; it is, as per my catchphrase, fallacious to assert that we understand one way or the other. It is just as possible that he did not believe Ridley to be possible because he is purple as it is that he found him to be unfeasible based on his size.

Despite common belief, these arguments are not entirely refuted and there are always (at least) two sides to every perspective. As a community, we tend to believe that we "destroy" these arguments based on the sentiment that we were able to intelligently debate the individuals that come into this thread without the passion that we have. I am more than certain that we care more about playable Ridley than they do about Boss Ridley. It is just as overt from their perspective that Ridley is not playable as it is obvious to us that he is. Thus, just like us, they tend to generalize prominent aspects of the argument. An argument that is one of the most prevalent within the Smash community. They may even presume that we "get the point" so they do not elaborate when it would aid their cause. The same occurs from our front, sometimes we just reply with one or two sentences and it severely attenuates our argument as well.

After typing all of that and reliving some of the incompetence introduced to this thread (from both parties), it is sad to see that most of this information is outdated as we KNOW that Ridley is included the game one way or another. The Ridley argument has evolved beyond concept and into application. It is all about debating ambiguous statements and analyzing shadows. I miss the simple times when we erroneously generalized everything. Haha.

#RidleyFourSmashFour
#RidleyIStoobigBUTwedonotcare

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 17587
"..................................................."
Is that a picture of Ridley and K. Rool's son?

He has his father's bloodshot eyes and his mother's wings and skull.:troll:

What's his name? Rooldley?

And yes Ridley is the woman in the relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero
So on Gamefaqs Metroid is considered one of the whiniest and hardest to please fanbases :troll:

Because, you know. Wanting a major Nintendo franchise to have more than one playable character is SUCH a massive request. It is basically IMPOSSIBLE to fulfill that massive request and satisfy everyone. Definitely.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So on Gamefaqs Metroid is considered one of the whiniest and hardest to please fanbases :troll:

Because, you know. Wanting a major Nintendo franchise to have more than one playable character is SUCH a massive request. It is basically IMPOSSIBLE to fulfill that massive request and satisfy everyone. Definitely.
There's your problem right there.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I have no idea why Ridley WOULDN'T be. :awesome: He's obviously the smart successful one who makes angry pterodactyl noises, and K. Rool is the big clumsy one with a blunderbuss whose life goals involve stealing bananas.

I'm joking really

But yeah anyway. Please don't make this into another weird Ridley ship. xD Ridsalina was way weird enough.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ridley was only ever made sort of big so he'd be possible to actually target and shoot down, which is already decently hard due to his tail blocking all attacks. In Metroid 1 it's so damn hard to get through to him because of his fireball spamming and his small size.
Yeah, you would pretty much have to shoot him up the butt with the wave beam from under the platform he's on while trying to minimize damage taken from acid, if you're not lucky enough at freezing the fireballs at the right time and missile'ing him to death.

As far as general satisfaction/dissatisfaction with Metroid games in the series though, the fanbase definitely is one of the harder to please ones compared to most, not gonna lie.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

Godzilla confirmed!

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah, you would pretty much have to shoot him up the butt with the wave beam from under the platform he's on while trying to minimize damage taken from acid, if you're not lucky enough at freezing the fireballs at the right time and missile'ing him to death.

As far as general satisfaction/dissatisfaction with Metroid games in the series though, the fanbase definitely is one of the harder to please ones compared to most, not gonna lie.
They meant pertaining to Smash, I am pretty sure.

Which is ridiculous because all most Metroid fans want is Ridley. Past that they maybe want a Metroid stage that doesn't have a rising lava hazard. SUCH LOFTY DEMANDS.

But yes if we were talking METROID games and not SMASH games, there are a FEW but not MANY communities I could think of needier than Metroid. Smash would definitely be one of the highest though.

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
They meant pertaining to Smash, I am pretty sure.

Which is ridiculous because all most Metroid fans want is Ridley. Past that they maybe want a Metroid stage that doesn't have a rising lava hazard. SUCH LOFTY DEMANDS.

But yes if we were talking METROID games and not SMASH games, there are a FEW but not MANY communities I could think of needier than Metroid. Smash would definitely be one of the highest though.
I actually enjoy the lava stages, Norfair was very well done and as much as I hate Other M, this stage looks good to fight on too. In terms of games, I just think people want the next one to stick more to the roots. Actually, a new 2D would probably be the best way to go for Nintendo but they have plans for both. I don't think we're needy, I think we've been spoiled with such wonderful games that we expect each game to be that good, which is a very unfair expectation for every game, to be sure. I enjoy every game in the series, minus Hunters and OM. Those games had glaring flaws that just weren't easily overlooked. However, that's just my opinion. I'm sure the next Metroid game will be good, I have enough faith in Nintendo for that.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I actually enjoy the lava stages, Norfair was very well done and as much as I hate Other M, this stage looks good to fight on too. In terms of games, I just think people want the next one to stick more to the roots. Actually, a new 2D would probably be the best way to go for Nintendo but they have plans for both. I don't think we're needy, I think we've been spoiled with such wonderful games that we expect each game to be that good, which is a very unfair expectation for every game, to be sure. I enjoy every game in the series, minus Hunters and OM. Those games had glaring flaws that just weren't easily overlooked. However, that's just my opinion. I'm sure the next Metroid game will be good, I have enough faith in Nintendo for that.
The issue with lava stages is, 2/3 of metroid stages have been rising lava since 64. Zebes? Brinstar? Norfair? Possibly Pyrosphere? All lava. And we could go a step further and complain about how if it's not lava it's rotating, but that's eh.

Honestly I don't think going back to 2D games would be the best idea, and it would instead be better if they just handed it off back to Retro for more 3D games. Though they already have plans for both anyway.

And Yeah, I think that's a huge part of the problem right there. The game has so many games that are 9's or 10's like the Prime Trilogy or Super Metroid or maybe Zero Mission I wouldn't know, that when the series gets a game that's more like a 7 it just looks terrible in comparison when we get something sketchy like Other M or awful like Fusion or Hunters' single player.

The average is pretty good even with those aside though, so I think it's pretty safe to bet on good Metroid games in the future regardless. And Ridley will be a major villain in all of them. And anti-Ridleys and toobigots will still claim he is irrelevant and unimportant. Yep.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I still maintain that I am waiting for Sakurai to just be all, "I know you Metroid fans are sick of lava stages and spinning stages. So we made Ridley playable and turned Pyrosphere into... A SPINNING LAVA STAGE!"

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I still maintain that I am waiting for Sakurai to just be all, "I know you Metroid fans are sick of lava stages and spinning stages. So we made Ridley playable and turned Pyrosphere into... A SPINNING LAVA STAGE!"
Every time it turns, the lava falls onto the ceiling, meteor smashing the crap out of everyone.

Top Bottom