• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

PowerBomb

Smash Master
@ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman : Oh, really? Hm, my memory fails me then.

Someone mentioned that the crowd at the e3 invitational was chanting Ridley's name when they were playing Metroid music. Any truth to this statement?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
@ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman : Oh, really? Hm, my memory fails me then.

Someone mentioned that the crowd at the e3 invitational was chanting Ridley's name when they were playing Metroid music. Any truth to this statement?
They played both Metroid and DK music at E3, and ironically both DK and Samus were skipped in the Invitational. I never heard anyone chanting Ridley, but it is true they were playing Metroid music. Wouldn't surprise me if people were chanting Ridley's name, though.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Good read, now I can copy paste a simple picture to any Ridley hater.

Also, have you guys seen this size comparison?
That's actually mine. Hello. :p

EDIT: Pikachu's shadow has nothing to do with the size comparison. It compares Ridley's shadow to Pikachu in the same angle. It then compares Pikachu to Bowser, Bowser to his own shadow on Pyrosphere, and the newest version of it...which isn't that one it looks like, includes Bowser's shadow sized up to match how large it would be on Pyrosphere taken from the same camera angle as the one which shows Ridley's.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I do have a Gamefaqs account. And I post my size comparison publicly so IDRC if people take it and show it around.

For the record the newest one is this:

The biggest forseeable problem I am able to see here is Bowser's shadow may actually be underestimated, since the Bowser in the lower right that is casting the shadow still seems smaller than Bowser actually is.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I do have a Gamefaqs account. And I post my size comparison publicly so IDRC if people take it and show it around.

The biggest forseeable problem I am able to see here is Bowser's shadow may actually be underestimated, since the Bowser in the lower right that is casting the shadow still seems smaller than Bowser actually is.
Austin_4e?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Austin_4e?
That wouldn't be me. Austin_4e though is responsible for the addition in the lower left corner of Ridley's rotated shadow, which he added to my old size comparison which sloppily had Bowser standing on Ridley's shadow as a comparison. :awesome:

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Actually. I've thought about it, but I problaby couldn't keep myself from "being a ****" if Ridley does get announced to be playable.
I know I know, don't stupe to their level and all that. Though it would feel so right to do it, after years of torment from ignorant people :o

Morbi

Scavenger
Actually. I've thought about it, but I problaby couldn't keep myself from "being a ****" if Ridley does get announced to be playable.
I know I know, don't stupe to their level and all that. Though it would feel so right to do it, after years of torment from ignorant people :o
I honestly do not even interpret acknowledging that one was incorrect as a negative. I am not sure why we must be humble to retain some sort of facade.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I honestly do not even interpret acknowledging that one was incorrect as a negative. I am not sure why we must be humble to retain some sort of facade.
When people spew **** like "I hope Ridley is NEVER playable just so I can rub it in the Ridley fans' faces," (pretty sure I saw this in the comments for that GameExplain video; the one where the guy they interviewed mentioned [Mini] Kraid in Smash Run) its hard not to want to spew **** right back to them.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It's certainly possible, but if you ask me it wouldn't make sense. Why keep Ridley's fate under wraps until release? Wouldn't it make sense to give him a grand hype trailer before the game comes out to drum up more excitement? To discover Ridley's status after the game comes out would have significantly less impact, which is counterproductive to the way Sakurai is building the whole situation up.

But again like you said, him making a terrible decision can't be ruled out either.
He didnt even Show Mewtwo.......

(sorry aint been here much been really busy...new job & all but i still love you all & the RealTalk is still inside all of you ''translation'' - I love you all)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Hasn't Ridley been deconfirmed? I thought people usually stopped talking about a character when their shown not playable?
You should probably read, like, two pages of this thread before making that assessment.
That is a nice way of saying, "no".

Unless you're trolling, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

edit: But seriously, coming to this thread to ask if Ridley's disconfirmed is an incredibly unwise decision.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hasn't Ridley been deconfirmed? I thought people usually stopped talking about a character when their shown not playable?
No, he wasn`t deconfirmed nor he was confirmed. His role was left unknown. Showing his shadow without even saying "Ridley" is not deconfirmation. Saying that Skull Kid is an assist trophy IS deconfirmation.

Rosalina&Greninja

Smash Apprentice
Well he did mention bosses while showing his shadow and Boss Hazards seem to be the big new thing. He was secretive about Yellow Devil so he is probably being secretive here as well.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well he did mention bosses while showing his shadow and Boss Hazards seem to be the big new thing. He was secretive about Yellow Devil so he is probably being secretive here as well.
Secretive? It was OBVIOUS what Yellow Devil would do. Yellow Devil wouldn`t SUPLEX TRAIN MOTHERF- Yellow Devil wouldn`t suplex someone or just move his body in any normal way other than separating into pieces. I doubt that someone who knows YD wouldn`t figure out what he will do as a boss. Or someone would really think:
"Hm...Yellow Devil, huh? What will a boss that separates into pieces to move around and then rebuilds itself to shoot projectile from his eye, then separate again do as a stage boss in Sm4sh? Maybe he will grab you and then someone else and play with those 2 characters like if they are toys, then just throw away? Or he will do a drop kick? Or he will SUPLEX TRAIN MOTHERF***ER?"
He could show and call Ridley anyway and deconfirm him like assist trophies like Dark Samus, Waluigi, Ashley, etc. without telling what he can do. That would work too.
And what unique would boss Ridley do in Sm4sh? Be Dyna Blade clone? Meh. Shoot fireballs? Meh. Scrape stage with his tail? Meh. It already was seen many times and nothing new can be added to boss Ridley that would fit him. Ridley can`t have a specific weak spot to make him more than a simple flying sandbag that sometimes attacks you. And Ridley`s size is not as big as in other games for absolutely no reasons if he is a boss. That wouldn`t help him on a large stage.
If just showing someone`s shadow deconfirms him/her instead of saying that like in every other case, then all of us, Ridley supporters, must have a brain surgery today. I will be first.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
No he wasn't, Yellow Devil was shown in plain sight at E3 2013. No-one expected Yellow Devil in the game, and I doubt anyone would have expected him to be playable. People assumed he'd have a boss role, even before his role was mentioned (which was a few months later), that's not secretive. Ridley, on the other hand, is the most requested first party character for newcomer status. He has just been teased, not shown (bar some slow shadow and a tip of a tail at a glance), and Sakurai refuses to even say Ridley's name (even 8/9 months later after the Pyrosphere stage reveal), that's secretive. Stop taking everything from Sakurai with face value, especially when the SSB Direct was full of teasing and trolling. Just because he says something ambiguous, doesn't mean it spells doom and gloom for a character. He has already shown other bosses (which fits the "other boss characters appear on other stages"), and it's possible for Sakurai to do an ultimate troll move by making people assume Ridley is a boss hazard and then reveal him as a playable character. Or, you know, Ridley could be both playable and a boss (hazard), it's not written in stone that characters have to be set with one role. I mean, Bowser was both playable and a boss in Super Smash Bros. Melee (Adventure mode), and Toon Link is both playable and part of the Spirit Tracks stage for SSB4 3DS version. So... yeah... Until Sakurai specifically shows and states what Ridley does, Ridley has not been "de-confirmed".

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Lol, give big boi @ R Rosalina&Greninja a break guys, sure he's wrong about the Yellow Devil, but it's entirely reasonable for one to believe Ridley's a boss based on what was seen and heard in the Direct. All we know for sure is that in some form, Other M Ridley is in the game, and is strongly hinted to be a boss in the Pyrosphere stage. The people here who actually took the time to analyze the shadows in the Direct have concluded that Other M Ridley is looking to be a bit small for his typical size and for the stage he is featured in, and are guessing that he is playable taking all of that into account.

Here, allow me whip this one out for all y'all's pleasure.

-------------------------------------------------
"We're going to talk about one character and one character only: Ridley, from the Metroid series."

"I'm not going to suggest that Ridley's been shooting gear after seeing those puffy pects, bulging biceps, and killer quads of his, that's disgusting. I don't even know what that means."

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Lol, give big boi @ R Rosalina&Greninja a break guys, sure he's wrong about the Yellow Devil, but it's entirely reasonable for one to believe Ridley's a boss based on what was seen and heard in the Direct. All we know for sure is that in some form, Other M Ridley is in the game, and is strongly hinted to be a boss in the Pyrosphere stage. The people here who actually took the time to analyze the shadows in the Direct have concluded that Other M Ridley is looking to be a bit small for his typical size and for the stage he is featured in, and are guessing that he is playable taking all of that into account.

Here, let me whip this one out for all y'all's pleasure.

-------------------------------------------------
"We're gonna speculate about one character and one character only: Ridley from the Metroid series."

"I'm not going to jump to conclusions about his playability after only seeing his shadow and tail, that's stupid. I don't even know what that means."

A bit smaller than usual = somewhere near Rosalina/Bowser`s size. Not 2x/3x (that is his max size in Metroid games)/10x (what some of the detractors say...well, that is not exactly what they say, but whatever) bigger than Samus. That just makes outcome with him being a boss even more ridicolous and less possible, not impossible.
...and i didn`t understood lower part of your post...

Oh, will we have nearly exactly same discussion as before or no? Anyway, it may or may not be enjoyable.

By the way, i think Ridley is kinda too small in SSB Crusade, anyone agrees?...maybe i just forgot how he looked in that game...i should revisit it.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Ok guys, seriously, calm down. New person comes in asking about Ridley, you don't say it was a mistake to come to the Ridley thread. That's the point of the Ridley thread. This is where anyone can come to talk about Ridley, not where we punch people who have different opinions, or are new. This is sometimes a big problem 'round here. This guy is pretty obviously new to the boards and safe to assume not a troll.

I'll give you a good answer here. Ridley wasn't actually shown as not playable. That's Sakurai's trick. He talks about Boss hazards, then shows a characters shadow. So the first logical assumption is, that character is probably a boss, right? And I agree, that would make perfect sense, if not for a single fact. Sakurai is a giant troll.

Did you notice the other troll things Sakurai did during the event? Saying Zero Suit Samus was cut? Showing the fake Palutena trophy, but making us think it was real, and then later showing Palutena as playable?

From this we know that Sakurai likes to troll about playable characters. Well, Ridley's history of trolling actually goes back way further than this direct, all the way back to when the Pyrosphere was first shown, over a year ago. On that picture of the day, Sakurai said

"An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any time"

hmm. So we know, on the Pyrosphere, Ridley is a boss character, and may appear at any time. Well, on the Super Mario Bros U stage, Bowser is technically a boss character (he is a character that is a boss), and is an enemy from Mario's past, and he can appear at any time (that people choose him). And also remember, Ridley also wasn't shown during a boss hazards segment. He was shown during a Stage segment.

So we never have Sakurai actually saying that Ridley is a boss (or even showing him at all, for that matter), and we have a history of Sakurai trolling. What does it mean?

We don't know. We can't know until either a boss/character reveal, or the game comes out. But we certainly don't know that he's deconfirmed.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Ok guys, seriously, calm down. New person comes in asking about Ridley, you don't say it was a mistake to come to the Ridley thread. That's the point of the Ridley thread. This is where anyone can come to talk about Ridley, not where we punch people who have different opinions, or are new.
Its not? I've been doing this thread wrong the whole time

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ok guys, seriously, calm down. New person comes in asking about Ridley, you don't say it was a mistake to come to the Ridley thread. That's the point of the Ridley thread. This is where anyone can come to talk about Ridley, not where we punch people who have different opinions, or are new. This is sometimes a big problem 'round here. This guy is pretty obviously new to the boards and safe to assume not a troll.
I agree. But still its better to first read at least 50 pages of such threads before saying something like that. We still are guilty. Maybe that is because of all of those debates and idiots from GamesFAQ and Miiverse making us really angry since that Direc- since Brawl days...but i would like to punch toobigots too.
At least my first answer was calm.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

I agree. But still its better to first read at least 50 pages of such threads before saying something like that. We still are guilty. Maybe that is because of all of those debates and idiots from GamesFAQ and Miiverse making us really angry since that Direc- since Brawl days...but i would like to punch idiots too.
Fun fact. Before Man discovered fire, they discovered arguing about Ridley's size. Some scientists even theorize this began before Man even existed.

True Story

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
You know, clearly bosses in this game are intended to be beaten. Has anyone considered the possibility that maybe you unlock a playable Ridley by defeating a boss-sized Ridley on Pyrosphere?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I agree. But still its better to first read at least 50 pages of such threads before saying something like that. We still are guilty. Maybe that is because of all of those debates and idiots from GamesFAQ and Miiverse making us really angry since that Direc- since Brawl days...but i would like to punch idiots too.
While punching idiots is fine, there is a difference between idiocy and ignorance. If I can be nice after the Brawl era (2006 accountt here), I hope you guys can be too. You can't take your anger from miiverse/gameFAQ here, it makes everyone look bad.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your fervor. Just try to channel it more productively/informatively than angrily. :)

(and I know you aren't doing it out of spite. There are a few people here who talk about being spiteful if Ridley is revealed, and it makes me ashamed. I'm a bit angry at the thread's history in general, not at you)

Its not? I've been doing this thread wrong the whole time
You gotta teach me how to punch people over the internet, then. That's amazing.

I was more referring to posts like

"coming to this thread to ask if Ridley's disconfirmed is an incredibly unwise decision"
Really? >.> I don't like this thread being known for being assholes.

You know, clearly bosses in this game are intended to be beaten. Has anyone considered the possibility that maybe you unlock a playable Ridley by defeating a boss-sized Ridley on Pyrosphere?
Mmhmm, a few people have brought that up. Some people think along the lines of Other M Ridley will be a Pyrosphere boss, while Super Metroid Ridley will be playable.

Personally, I'd be fine with this. In fact, I'd find it hilarious, because of the rollercoaster ride of emotions is would cause so many people.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Awh man. I had a very realistic dream of Ridley being revealed. For a little bit after waking up, I thought the memory of it was of something real. I wasn't even freaking out about it, I was just critically analyzing the trailer, lol. "That moveset was a little unimaginative," "Really thought he'd make more use of flying," among other things like "Oh, I should probably check on how the thread is reacting."

He didn't have his own little CG video either, the reveal was more like Zero Suit Samus's. Just a voiceover of Sakurai going "You probably thought this character was just a stage boss... WELL!"

Oh well.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

I'll give you a good answer here. Ridley wasn't actually shown as not playable. That's Sakurai's trick. He talks about Boss hazards, then shows a characters shadow. So the first logical assumption is, that character is probably a boss, right? And I agree, that would make perfect sense, if not for a single fact. Sakurai is a giant troll.

Did you notice the other troll things Sakurai did during the event? Saying Zero Suit Samus was cut? Showing the fake Palutena trophy, but making us think it was real, and then later showing Palutena as playable?

From this we know that Sakurai likes to troll about playable characters. Well, Ridley's history of trolling actually goes back way further than this direct, all the way back to when the Pyrosphere was first shown, over a year ago. On that picture of the day, Sakurai said

"An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any time"

hmm. So we know, on the Pyrosphere, Ridley is a boss character, and may appear at any time. Well, on the Super Mario Bros U stage, Bowser is technically a boss character (he is a character that is a boss), and is an enemy from Mario's past, and he can appear at any time (that people choose him). And also remember, Ridley also wasn't shown during a boss hazards segment. He was shown during a Stage segment.

So we never have Sakurai actually saying that Ridley is a boss (or even showing him at all, for that matter), and we have a history of Sakurai trolling. What does it mean?

We don't know. We can't know until either a boss/character reveal, or the game comes out. But we certainly don't know that he's deconfirmed.
So we can't punch naysayers? :c

Rosalina&Greninja

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I don't know. Maybe I'm just a little pessimistic

But I wouldn't take Ridley size as proof he is playable.

If you ignore his wing span, he is probably about the same size as Bowser.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So we can't punch naysayers? :c
Naysayers who aren't toxic? no.

Those guys who make accounts just to be jerks here? I ain't watchin' who you punch. If your fist happens to accidentally connect with them through the internet, patent that ****, you're gonna be rich.

Hmm, I don't know. Maybe I'm just a little pessimistic

But I wouldn't take Ridley size as proof he is playable.

If you ignore his wing span, he is probably about the same size as Bowser.
We can't judge his size very well by his shadow alone, unfortunately. We don't have a very accurate representation of Ridley's size because we don't know what model he's using in the game. In Brawl, Meta Ridley's Wingspan was cut more than in half, and that was for making him a boss. I'm sure if they wanted to make him playable, his model's size wouldn't be too big of an issue.

Awh man. I had a very realistic dream of Ridley being revealed. For a little bit after waking up, I thought the memory of it was of something real. I wasn't even freaking out about it, I was just critically analyzing the trailer, lol. "That moveset was a little unimaginative," "Really thought he'd make more use of flying," among other things like "Oh, I should probably check on how the thread is reacting."

He didn't have his own little CG video either, the reveal was more like Zero Suit Samus's. Just a voiceover of Sakurai going "You probably thought this character was just a stage boss... WELL!"

Oh well.
A man can dream. And so can you, Oasis.

:seuss:

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I forgot who said it, but if you reply to trolls/people who make bold statements without any basic research, then you give their argument credibility. Best solution imo is to just leave them alone or they drag you down to their level.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I did. I was talking about Mother Brain and Ridley, both of which are in the game and, technically, count as Metroid bosses.

Does anyone have a Pikachu shadow? As in, a picture where Ridley grabs Pikachu and the action is reflected in the shadows?
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH My apologies, I was confused, your confuse ray worked well

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's been covered that not only has Ridley not actually been deconfirmed but only ambiguously teased, but teasing Ridley to be a downgraded boss generally makes significantly less sense than saying someone said something and showed another.

An example would be Green Scorpion's newest countdown about overworld music on youtube. Every single time he was about to talk about something, what would LITERALLY HAPPEN is, "I am about to talk about my number __ favorite overworld track" with Super Mario Galaxy playing in the background. Super Mario Galaxy was chosen approximately none. Beyond that a more direct example would be Melee's official advertisement that mentions "over 20 unexpected characters" while directly showing Ridley. At that point in the video of the ad, the only character they could have been talking about was Ridley.

Long story short:

- We have no proof that 'other boss appearances' was directly tied to Ridley's shadow. We do, however, have definite proof that they don't have to be tied together at all.
- Ridley has been shown to have potentially playable-viable characteristics and behaviors. That, in conjunction with the Pyrosphere itself, would amount to poor game design in comparison to other bosses.
- The idea of Sakurai teasing Ridley in general does not actually make sense.

And you could 'say' that maybe he thought he was being direct, but he handled Ridley far from how he handled any other character. Even the other bosses. If he wanted people to RECEIVE the same message as always, he would have SENT the same message as always. "Other bosses, like Ridley here, can make appearances". Or actually showing him being a boss or something briefly. Not his shadow giviing us reason to think he could easily be playable.

Basically, there's way too much cause for doubt that Ridley is actually deconfirmed.

EDIT: And an elaboration as to what I mean 'doesn't make sense': It is the entire notion that Sakurai would ambiguously tease a scenario which he ripped directly from another game, only to put a popularly requested character in the same role they are often in except this time it is a downgraded version of that same role.

It's implying he would be attempting to get excitement out of ONLY hyping up Ridley, and only in a way that says "Isn't it exciting? I ripped off Dead or Alive Dimensions to make Ridley be in a TOTALLY similar situation to every time you see him! It's like nothing changed at all! Oh, except for how small and slow he is. But that just kind of happened."

He wouldn't tease Mario to be playable, so I don't see why he would tease Ridley to be a boss.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'll sum up my main reason for why he will be playable: They haven't mentioned him by name.
I thought I was the only one who used this logic! It does seem wierd that he's avoided saying his name every time he talks about him. I think he would only do that for playable characters that haven't been announced.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
As much as I personally don't like the character, I'd like him in if he was a grappling fighter or was a heavyweight with a good air game.

That's my two cents on the matter.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Im going to make one for my comparison later.

And next month is probably when the feuding is going to end of smash 4 ridley.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Did this for funsies.
That's interesting. Though of course Dark Emperor still seems to be a bit larger still. And on a much smaller stage than Pyrosphere. If I remember right, that picture encompasses the entire larger side of the stage.

Top Bottom