• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
... No. It's an official concept that was scrapped from Metroid Prime 2. It's like Meta Kraid. Or Ridley 2.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I thought he looked a little bit different than that. But his armor above his waist makes him look bulky. That is the only thing about it that i don`t like...and his head for some reasons.
By the way, is he called Dark Meta Ridley officialy or not? Looks more like zombie Meta Ridley with bulky armor.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I've been training all of this time to reduce my body weight so Sakurai-senpai would notice me.

I thought he looked a little bit different than that. But his armor above his waist makes him look bulky. That is the only thing about it that i don`t like...and his head for some reasons.
By the way, is he called Dark Meta Ridley officialy or not? Looks more like zombie Meta Ridley with bulky armor.
You're probably thinking of this one:

This one has been circulating pretty much since Prime 2's release. The other (which I think shows off the "Dark/Possession" of the above) only somewhat recently came out as unlockable concept art in Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't get it, how would changing the first one to post change the quality of the thread?
It is often the first post people read in this thread, and is in a way a representation of the supporters of Ridley. IMO if it had more ideas for moveset, skillset, and playstyle content for Ridley, as well as more artwork, concepts, and ideas fans had, it would make a lot of people feel more positively about Ridley, and I think it would improve the quality of first time posters in this thread. It also "portrays" what the thread is in a way often, whether because many people copy it or it copies many people.

This fantastic post below by @ddd87 valiantly also explains why it is important...
The OP never got regular updates with the findings, so newcomers to this place have to wade throught hundreeds of pages to find info that could have been covered in the first post. The OP is the most important post of a thread, improving it adds material for the replies to work with. It can't do anything for the previous thousand pages, but it would work for the next ones. And yeah, I forgot.... People want a new TC that can keep the OP updated, since the former one doesn't do it.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Seriously?! I didn`t knew that...then i can only dream about it and wait for Sm4sh to be released...
Oh man, with Mewtwo and Roy, for EVERY SINGLE MOVE they had to get the voices, the sound effects, the animations, the hitboxes, the hitstun, the knockback, the posture, the movement of each body part, the eye effects, the hurtboxes, the sweetspot, the sourspot, the percentage, the pre-lag, the post-lag, the move duration, etc. etc. etc. perfectly or near perfectly right, not counting idle animations, ledge grabs, or taunts.

Also consider that's the process that is required for every character. That's a big reason why I want to talk about specific moves of Ridley and how they function actually. A lot of work goes into this moves that most people don't realize or discover.

We can find a lot of great examples of well designed moves, execution of moves, and how well the moves functions by doing this. Of course, occasionally we will find examples of this not being the case.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Oh man, with Mewtwo and Roy, for EVERY SINGLE MOVE they had to get the voices, the sound effects, the animations, the hitboxes, the hitstun, the knockback, the posture, the movement of each body part, the eye effects, the hurtboxes, the sweetspot, the sourspot, the percentage, the pre-lag, the post-lag, the move duration, etc. etc. etc. perfectly or near perfectly right, not counting idle animations, ledge grabs, or taunts.

Also consider that's the process that is required for every character. That's a big reason why I want to talk about specific moves of Ridley and how they function actually. A lot of work goes into this moves that most people don't realize or discover.

We can find a lot of great examples of well designed moves, execution of moves, and how well the moves functions by doing this. Of course, occasionally we will find examples of this not being the case.
Well, do you already have something like that for Ridley, to start us off?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well, do you already have something like that for Ridley, to start us off?
Well first off, I just want to acknowledge the overall difficulty of making it.

But yeah, I was thinking specifically how or what Ridley's forward air would be. I imagine it would likely be a claw attack just like Charizard's, Mewtwo's, and Bowser's forward air. Of course, I think it would be more of a full looping slash (more akin to Mewtwo, although probably more exaggerated and with claw animations and effects aplenty) than just a small slash like Bowser does with his forward air.

When you initially use the move I think it could have a sweetspot akin to the classic "sex kick" neutral air. It would be a more reliable KO and would do more damage. f course unlike a sex kick it would KO at somewhat lower than averages percentages with a horizontally or diagonally KO.

Also like the sex kick it could have a sourspot in the second half of the move. This might lead to more combos, and obviously it would do considerably less damage. I always felt the combo potential out of sourspot moves in Melee was such a fantastic idea and addition to the game. Smash 64 and Brawl had a few of these moves, but none as pronounced as Melee.

From what I gather from what I saw and played, Smash 4 will have a lot of such followups and "combos" like Melee, only with more actual real fighting game "combos" that are inescapable with proper execution. I think the usage of moves as to when you use them and when you land them in regards to the duration of the move will be very key as to what your reasonable followup options are.

I could easily see sourspot forward airs for Ridley becoming like Brawl Toon Link's back air, where you can combo (or "smash combo" [not a truly inescapable combo]) the move with itself a bit, lol. Of course, with the forward air, you could potentially end it with a sweetspot forward air for a KO. As long as it's not too long (say 3 or 4 forward airs in a row at most), it sounds pretty freaking cool IMO.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yep, and you were the only one from WoR besides Issy who didn't unfriend/delete me on there eventually. :dizzy: Mostly only use it now though if I'm unable to access Netflix or something through other means.
I totally used Phaazoid on WoR, too, didn't I. Yeah, idk, that group really seemed to thread apart after not too long. Glad a few of us are still around, hopefully we can get some good play out of Sm4sh. There seems to be legitimate online support this time around xD.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well im not sure what i missed but,

It likely that ridley would be a pre-release character reveal for a hype case,

But still possible there won't be any ridley result till after release.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Me personally, I don't see why they would make him a secret character after this much teasing.

Unlockable, yes, but I would think that in order to make a secret character, well, secret, one would draw as little attention to him as possible.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Me personally, I don't see why they would make him a secret character after this much teasing.

Unlockable, yes, but I would think that in order to make a secret character, well, secret, one would draw as little attention to him as possible.
Well yea but ridley could definatly still be umlockable easily, i mean special case is out of the realm.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Unlockable? Definitely. But a secret unnannounced character like Captain Falcon or Ness? Impossible.
Idk. Mewtwo was in Melee. I've been betting on Ridley being secret and un-announced since before E3 2013.

His teaser at that direct shook things up, for sure, but if you look back, maybe 500 pages, I've definitely advocated that for a long time.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

...well...that doesn`t explains how he became organic in Super Metroid (it is a pretty large plot hole to me). Maybe there will be a game that would explain it. I love that Space Pirate`s face on the 7th panel.

...Anyway, i think we are running out of things to talk about. Any news about Ridley, Pyrosphere, Bosses or detractors?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Idk. Mewtwo was in Melee. I've been betting on Ridley being secret and un-announced since before E3 2013.

His teaser at that direct shook things up, for sure, but if you look back, maybe 500 pages, I've definitely advocated that for a long time.
Well, the difference there is that Mewtwo didn't have a huge ********* campaign foreshadowing his appearance.
I just feel that making him secret and unnannounced would be...kinda anticlimatic. Like, if they never showed the damn Pyrosphere in the first place and never discussed Ridley, I would still be against Ridley's inclusion, or at the very most, for secret unlockable for him.

We're dumb fans, we need SOMEONE to explain what the hell Pyrosphere does. What are we supposed to do, find out for ourselves like actual people? Bah.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
I've been so incredibly bored lately. Still reading this wonderful forum of course, then I decided (Yeah, punch me) to go to the Miiverse to look for Ridley posts, trying to as calmly utter my opinion to why he can work just like any character.. But boy, I can't keep my sanity clean.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well, the difference there is that Mewtwo didn't have a huge ********* campaign foreshadowing his appearance.
I just feel that making him secret and unnannounced would be...kinda anticlimatic. Like, if they never showed the damn Pyrosphere in the first place and never discussed Ridley, I would still be against Ridley's inclusion, or at the very most, for secret unlockable for him.

We're dumb fans, we need SOMEONE to explain what the hell Pyrosphere does. What are we supposed to do, find out for ourselves like actual people? Bah.
I know you were being sarcastic, but all the same, I like it better when a lot of game details are still secret when it comes out. It's one of the reasons I love Bungie, they are tight lipped as hell about so many details about their games, people discover secrets even years after the releases.

I feel like Sakurai understands that pleasure, and tries to give at least an element of it in Sm4sh. There were 12 unrevealed characters for Brawl, 4 of which were newcomers, but the game leaking kind of ruined that.

Honestly for me I'd be happiest having nothing talked about before the release of the game, and then when the Japanese get their hands on it and I have no self control and look up all the characters, they show Ridley. I know most people would rather have an intro trailer, like the other newcomers, but I don't think that has to be exclusive, I think even if we find out about it beforehand they'll eventually put it up for hidden characters on the site.

Honestly, I'm afraid if we get a site update with Ridley before the game's release in Japan, it'll be as a stage hazard :/

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511

...well...that doesn`t explains how he became organic in Super Metroid (it is a pretty large plot hole to me). Maybe there will be a game that would explain it. I love that Space Pirate`s face on the 7th panel.

...Anyway, i think we are running out of things to talk about. Any news about Ridley, Pyrosphere, Bosses or detractors?
well ... I'm not a big Prime fan but I know (correct me if I'm wrong) Ridley fell in a Phazom thing which made him organic again

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Honestly, the best thing about an unlockable Ridley is finding it out from the Japanese fanbase's reactions, which would basically be:

"What the **** is that thing lol"
"What's this boss doing here?"
"Sakurai A-level troll man"
" Ridley's playable? Who asked for him?"
"YESSSS I never gave up on him"
"At first I was like WTF, but now I'm OK"
"Ridley is this game's Robot"

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Honestly, the best thing about an unlockable Ridley is reading about it from the Japanese fanbase's reactions, which would basically be:

And yet, there are no incorrect statements there
xD

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
well ... I'm not a big Prime fan but I know (correct me if I'm wrong) Ridley fell in a Phazom thing which made him organic again
Nah, he exploded into million pieces of nothingness and phazon.
Honestly, the best thing about an unlockable Ridley is reading about it from the Japanese fanbase's reactions, which would basically be:

And
  • I unlocked some kind of an awesome dragon!
  • Is this guy Nintendo`s character?
  • So, is that he or she?
  • Lol that was easy/tough fight.
But those will be very rare. VERY rare.
I've been so incredibly bored lately. Still reading this wonderful forum of course, then I decided (Yeah, punch me) to go to the Miiverse to look for Ridley posts, trying to as calmly utter my opinion to why he can work just like any character.. But boy, I can't keep my sanity clean.
Do not even try to talk with idiots - they will bite you if they won`t have anything else to say. Just believe me.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Nah, he exploded into million pieces of nothingness and phazon.

And
  • I unlocked some kind of an awesome dragon!
  • Is this guy Nintendo`s character?
  • So, is that he or she?
  • Lol that was easy/tough fight.
But those will be very rare. VERY rare.

Do not even try to talk with idiots - they will bite you if they won`t have anything else to say. Just believe me.
I know it looks like he exploded into a million pieces, but if you look how Mogenar explodes, it first burst out some phazon energy from within and LATER he explodes into pieces, even the pieces are seen fying. Ridley covers himeself with his wings and he gets out much energy from within him, the camera changes to samus and it was never seen how he actually exploded into pieces, I don't know, like his metallic implants or something...abd it is said that phazon has healing abilities, so after Phaaze's destuction, he got healed (Like Samus) and regerated his whole organic tissue (he was organic in his Omega form, but with some metallic implants...). And after he supposedly exploded, he could have hide inside the leviathan's "holes".

Last edited:

Megazero64

Smash Apprentice
Great, I take a brake from the forums and we already broke a thousand pages and I wasn't here to celebrate. oh well anyway,
Happy 1000 Page Milestone Everyone!!! :D

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Miiverse is strange about Ridley ...
Sometimes you find many stupid people who say stupid things like "he's 2 big" or "he doesn't deserve but Steve and Goku do".
Sometimes you find many friendly people who say good and real things about him.
But the strangest thing is that they are online in specific hours 0_0 ... you find the first ones betwen # and # and you find the second ones betwen @ and @
So if you want to avoid the fights you have to check the other posts and see which category in online :smirk:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Supporters and detractors work on shifts on Miiverse obviously.

EDIT: Ridalos is beautiful.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

I need to get this game ASAP.
Try and pass Ridley off as a Monster Hunter creature, no one will suspect a thing, then we can get re-skins after launch to make him look more like Ridley

Top Bottom