• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
The lack of news.
Guys, let's all sit in a circle and talk about how Sakurai isn't talking about Ridley. :p

Also I seriously doubt the original Little Birdy had minions. I imagine Ridley was fully grown when he took charge of the space pirates. And cloneley never led the space pirates. So.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
And it doesn't help when Ridley discussion literally amounts to this:

E3 2013 happens. SSB4 hype ignites. No Ridley.

No news for 70 days.

August 20th, 2013. Sakurai implies that Ridley can appear on Pyrosphere. Curiosity aroused at the lack of any level of specifics whatsoever.

No news for *230 days*.

April 9th, 2014. Ridley's shadow is shown. A massive investigation goes underway to determine exactly how much the events of the direct pertaining to Ridley mean in any direction.

No news for 60 more days.

E3 2014 happens. The only "news" is that Pyrosphere was conveniently absent from the demo.

Back to no news.

What can we really talk about here? There's most likely not going to be anything to talk about with Ridley besides Gameplay until the game comes out and he is revealed playable. It's pretty obvious Sakurai wants to milk this for what it's worth.
Eh, good point. It is an interesting fact that while Ridley doesn't have much news to go on, he does have some information regarding his presence in Smash 4 like the shadow and such. A rather unique situation that was only shared with Palutena who has since been confirmed; no official word on status but still just enough hinting to drive us endlessly on.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'd say "more" but unlike Ridley, if we saw Palutena's moving shadow everyone would assume playable Chum Bucket. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just don't see any reason to be secretive about a boss. Especially if said boss has pulled that card in the series once already.

What's the smart business move in hiding Ridley if he's just a boss?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What's the smart business move in hiding Ridley if he's just a boss?
To keep people talking of course. Ridley is such a huge subject when it comes to Smash, pulling the plug on that would instantly stop a lot of Smash discussion, and you know what they say, every kind of publicity is good publicity, even if controversial.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Wait, so we're supposed to run around trying to get other people to convert to Ridleyism? That doesn't usually end well, and it seems like we've actually been getting more supporters in here now that everyone's stopped doing that.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
To keep people talking of course. Ridley is such a huge subject when it comes to Smash, pulling the plug on that would instantly stop a lot of Smash discussion, and you know what they say, every kind of publicity is good publicity, even if controversial.
I think Sakurai is smarter than to equate bad press to good press. The fact of the matter is, he is hyping up and teasing Ridley more than he has teased either of the bosses we have and treating Ridley in a unique way. And for what? A downgrade from his boss appearances not only in Brawl, but on the EXACT same stage in a different fighting game?

I also don't think Sakurai would hype up ONLY one boss, and only to go "I went ahead and not only downgraded a popular request, but ripped off another fighting game! Enjoy!"

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Of course it keeps people talking, but it also causes potential back lash and lack of sales if you go forward with teasing and playing around too much.

After all that's all Sakurai is doing with everything he does. Trying to sell his game.

And the Ridley teasing only for him to be a boss? Is like me going into work at Target taunting a customer with a dress and saying ''YOU WANT IT? YOU WANT IT? YOU WANT IT? TOO BAD IT'S NOT FOR SALE."

It just doesn't seem wise. Especially when he's outright ***** slapped other characters fans with ''Nope. Not this time."

Morbi

Scavenger
My verdict on Ridley: sit back and see what happens.

I want to be confident but I'm not. I'll be happy if Ridley makes it, and perfectly fine if he doesn't.
Let's see how it turns out.
My verdict on Ridley: sit back and wait for his confirmation

I want to be unconfident but I'm not. I'll be happy if Ridley makes it, and perfectly fine if he doesn't.
Let's see how it turns out.

It was difficult for me to type that last sentence because I already know how it is going to turn out. :urg:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Eh, good point. It is an interesting fact that while Ridley doesn't have much news to go on, he does have some information regarding his presence in Smash 4 like the shadow and such. A rather unique situation that was only shared with Palutena who has since been confirmed; no official word on status but still just enough hinting to drive us endlessly on.
Are you ****ing kidding me? Of COURSE we know Ridley's status! He's a stage boss, didn't you ****ing watch the Smash Bros. Direct you ****ing moron?! I can't believe how insane the people are in this topic. Someone close this ****ing damn topic already because we already know Ridley's status in this game.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Are you ****ing kidding me? Of COURSE we know Ridley's status! He's a stage boss, didn't you ****ing watch the Smash Bros. Direct you ****ing moron?! I can't believe how insane the people are in this topic. Someone close this ****ing damn topic already because we already know Ridley's status in this game.
Thanku based Soccer eye.

But yeah no. I'm literally as convinced of Ridley's playability as I can be without having seen a reveal trailer, but the obnoxious part is the combination of Sakurai wanting to ride the hype for as long as he does with the crap I'm going to have to put up with as a Metroid fan until he stops. :\

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It's such a weird thing to drive publicity though. It's not like Ridley's never been in Smash before with a boss role (and even in another fighting game), and by all intents and purposes according to the general community he was deconfirmed during the Direct. So why try to hype up an aspect of a character that's already been done?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Thanku based Soccer eye.

But yeah no. I'm literally as convinced of Ridley's playability as I can be without having seen a reveal trailer, but the obnoxious part is the combination of Sakurai wanting to ride the hype for as long as he does with the crap I'm going to have to put up with as a Metroid fan until he stops. :\
Yeah, seriously, its really annoying. I'm hoping for a Ridley reveal in August. I've said this before, but I'm about 90% certain Ridley is playable. The other 10% is my small bits of doubt, I don't want to say I'm 100% sure at all.

Of course I REALLY support Ridley. The main bigger reason? As far as I'm considered, Ridley being playable ALSO helps another large reptilian antagonistic character getting confirmed as playable, and I'm absolutely dying to see him come back. So yeah, I have my reasons for supporting Ridley because it helps my #1 pick as well. (Plus Ridley himself DOES look pretty cool, too, and would be an epic playable character.)

Morbi

Scavenger
It's such a weird thing to drive publicity though. It's not like Ridley's never been in Smash before with a boss role (and even in another fighting game), and by all intents and purposes according to the general community he was deconfirmed during the Direct. So why try to hype up an aspect of a character that's already been done?
Precisely; he was already "deconfirmed" by Sakurai-san kawaii desu-ka. I highly doubt that he relied on the intelligent speculators to realize that it was not an objective deconfirmation and maintain discussion pertaining to his chances. That would not have been logical. Unless he had faith in us as a community, something that I do not personally have.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Precisely; he was already "deconfirmed" by Sakurai-san kawaii desu-ka. I highly doubt that he relied on the intelligent speculators to realize that it was not an objective deconfirmation and maintain discussion pertaining to his chances. That would not have been logical. Unless he had faith in us as a community, something that I do not personally have.
Sakurai on Ridley: Expecting anything worth while noting Ridley? Too bad, Waluigi time!

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, you should stop being delusional, Sakurai is teasing Ridley as a boss because he's catering to the SMART fanbase, the ones who knows that Ridley can't be resized, someone should lock this thread before all you kids get disapointed he isn't in the game!

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I am sort of expecting Ridley for August because of the relation to Palutena I mentioned before and because of the whole Metorid anniversary thing.

But at the same time I don't expect him because of the Metroid anniversary, if that makes sense. How many times before has an anniversary of some franchise come up to coincide with a Direct only for Sakurai to throw off our expectations and reveal a completely unrelated character.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I am sort of expecting Ridley for August because of the relation to Palutena I mentioned before and because of the whole Metorid anniversary thing.

But at the same time I don't expect him because of the Metroid anniversary, if that makes sense. How many times before has an anniversary of some franchise come up to coincide with a Direct only for Sakurai to throw off our expectations and reveal a completely unrelated character.
Sakurai will probably tease Ridley even more.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
If Ridley is playable/disconfirmed, what will become of us? What will become of the happy times we've spent together, or the day long arguments with detractors? In essence, if Ridley was never confirmed or disconfirmed, and left in a perpetual stalemate for all time, would that not be the perfect asylum?

Ah, who am I kidding? Confirming Ridley would be the equivalent of getting a pony for your birthday when you were six.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I bet the next tease is something like, "You can take on one of Samus' old foes with the help of a friend, just hope they don't have backup"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I expect Ridley to be revealed in August not because of Metroid's anniversary, but because Pyrosphere was revealed in August, I can imagine Sakurai saying:
"Next, I'll show you what's on Pyrosphere, it has... nothing! A great stage for a fair match, oh and also, have this trailer"
*trailer*
*dragon shadow flying*
*reveals himself*
*Spyro joins the battle!* *Ridley ends up the debate!*
*Ridley is shown helding Sakurai's Mii as a prisoner*
*sets him free*
"You can go now, and remember, you can't riddle me!"
*Smashboards crash until the game comes out*
*final roster leaked*
*crashes again until Wii U version comes out*
*Wii u exclusive mode leaked*
*crashes yet another time*
*DLC revealed*
*Smashboards crashes and is shut down forever*

Morbi

Scavenger
If Ridley is playable/disconfirmed, what will become of us? What will become of the happy times we've spent together, or the day long arguments with detractors? In essence, if Ridley was never confirmed or disconfirmed, and left in a perpetual stalemate for all time, would that not be the perfect asylum?

Ah, who am I kidding? Confirming Ridley would be the equivalent of getting a pony for your birthday when you were six.
I am honestly going to miss the time we spent together. I am content with being an aspect of this immaculate asylum. The perpetual wait is not actually that bad. Once he is revealed, I will cease to exist (in this thread). Those pseudo-supporters will fill my place and claim that it was obvious. Just as they did with Toon Link, just as they did with Pokemon Trainer, just as they did with Phantom. History tends to repeat itself and only I will know the truth in its entirety.

But yeah; Ridley is like that fairy princess pony that I wanted when I was six.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I am honestly going to miss the time we spent together. I am content with being an aspect of this immaculate asylum. The perpetual wait is not actually that bad. Once he is revealed, I will cease to exist (in this thread). Those pseudo-supporters will fill my place and claim that it was obvious. Just as they did with Toon Link, just as they did with Pokemon Trainer, just as they did with Phantom. History tends to repeat itself and only I will know the truth in its entirety.

But yeah; Ridley is like that fairy princess pony that I wanted when I was six.
I actually wanted a dragon astronaut when I was six so Ridley is actually much more literally in line with my childhood dreams. /halfjoking

But yeah that's basically what's going to go down. But hey, "those people" can do what they want. We were all here. We know what went down.

D

Deleted member

Why should the good times stop? We can all live hapily forever in the Ridley sub-forum, watching detractors claim he looks ******** in the "I was wrong thread", discussing his moveset and this thread will still exist, it will be the main Ridley discussion thread and the posts here will be proof of the long "The Great Ridley War", and of course, detractor's reactions will be like "but Sakurai said he was a boss!" or "why is he playable? He's way too big" and Shokio's will be the best: "S***! Guess I'll have to turn off the comments on my videos starting now"

Last edited by a moderator:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
*sniff* The emotional cycle.

Man, it's been a blast with you guys. Let's enjoy the last few months together while we can. *raises glass* To the Ridley cause!

D

Deleted member

But I hate ponies... :cry:

Also:
*sniff* The emotional cycle.

Man, it's been a blast with you guys. Let's enjoy the last few months together while we can. *raises glass* To the Ridley cause!
I don't imagine Ridley would approve of this cycle, considering his prominent sociopathy (I know I don't).

Last edited by a moderator:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

They (Nintendo) missed Metroid's 25th altogether while Zelda got a new game and a huge recognition for it. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing was shown this year either.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Come sakurai on if ridley is a stage boss let us know already we'll be sad either way.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Come sakurai on if ridley is a stage boss let us know already we'll be sad either way.
It's way too late to "let us know". I'd say he may as well get it out in a PotD if he's going to do it, but seriously. He scould have settled this if he were a boss back in April by just showing Ridley.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
They (Nintendo) missed Metroid's 25th altogether while Zelda got a new game and a huge recognition for it. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing was shown this year either.
Wasn't there some sort of Punch Out!! anniversary close Little Mac's reveal though? I can't remember.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'd really like his Nintendo Land design:

And Ice Ridley colour as well:

#SWAG :troll:
Ice Ridley needs more love... Still wouldn't mind if there was a version of it whose body and design was akin to the real thing (whether it's Ridley or Roidley) instead of another Nintendo Land robot. The thought of Ridley having ice attacks under moveset customization options that replaces his fireballs/plasma breath seems rather fun too, as well as his tail spike/swipe giving a "freezing" effect, having the obvious ice clawz, etc.

Where's your 3rd phire breather/Charizard clone now? :troll:

Ridley is secretly Lord Zedd's evil puppet :troll:
No, Ridley secretly helped him build Serpentera. Didn't you know?

Also I seriously doubt the original Little Birdy had minions. I imagine Ridley was fully grown when he took charge of the space pirates. And cloneley never led the space pirates. So.
The thought of Little Birdie leading minions of infant Space Pirates is... funneh and cute.

"Do as I say or I'll eat you alive! I may not look like I can right now, but I just had quite a feast on some Kihunters who thought otherwise."

majora_787

Smash Hero
I had actually never seen Nintendo Land Ridley before. He looks like some bizarre thing of making a sort of Mecha Ridley more similar to the classic NES Ridley, I guess?

It looks pretty interesting actually.

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
Its just too easy to dismiss him, and we could probably be wrong about his playable status.

But Sakurai to just tease Ridley like this is surreal, it seems normal usually, until you consider that everything else that isnt Ridley has been stated flat out clear without any teasing, all Assist Trophies and stage hazards.

Top Bottom