• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

Question: What do you all think Ridley's victory and defeat poses should be?
Ridley's winning pose should be him holding a hand mirror and admiring himself, with maybe a slight chuckle or smile to imply that he is saying "yes I am beautiful aren't I?"

Kind of like this:

Except the guy is replaced with Ridley.

Either that or have him do something with the Baby Metroid perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Ridley's winning pose should be him holding a hand mirror and admiring himself, with maybe a slight chuckle or smile to imply that he is saying "yes I am beautiful aren't I?"

Kind of like this:

Except the guy is replaced with Ridley.

Either that or have him do something with the Baby Metroid perhaps.
SCAN0148.JPG

Yup, my narcissistic Ridley....

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I think lava is confirmed not to be a hazard, as it shows up in both the normal and Final Destination versions of Pyrosphere.

Makes me scared for Ridley, since there IS a Final Destination version of a seemingly straightforward stage.
I dunno, I guess we'll see.
Just because it also appears there doesn't mean it'll behave the same. Perhaps the lava in the normal stage rises up to those weird purple tubes and lava bursts through the main platform.

D

Deleted member

Just because it also appears there doesn't mean it'll behave the same. Perhaps the lava in the normal stage rises up to those weird purple tubes and lava bursts through the main platform.
On that note I am of the belief right now that those purple things act as some sort of alarm system, flashing and possibly making noise while the stage begins to rumble to signify the impending rise of the lava.

Meandpikachu

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
HAPPY 1000!!!! SCREEEEAAAAAMMM!!!!
I wish I will get Tamadotchi Life but I'll be so shy to Sakurai for a shy question about Ridley as playable but I don't want sakurai said No

Kinda close to my Ridley size:

Mine is kinda smaller...or not...it is close anyway.

So, now we have to reach 2000th page and get confirmation of Ridley as a playable character?

...new avatar get! *Metroid Item Get SFX/Music/whatever*
Yes! Best size of Ridley!! Keep going to be a playable!!!

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Oh right, I almost forgot, but about the "which model is Smash using" talk that happened earlier:

People need to keep in mind the difference between model and design. Ridley is clearly using his Other M design for this game, but the model is completely new. Every character always uses a new model. Brawl Ganondorf was obviously using his Twilight Princess design, but the model from that game had some akward proportion issues going on. Brawl's model fixed this. I'm sure that's what's happening with Ridley here. It's basically Other Mley with less steroids. So we're pretty much getting concept artley.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I think lava is confirmed not to be a hazard, as it shows up in both the normal and Final Destination versions of Pyrosphere.

Makes me scared for Ridley, since there IS a Final Destination version of a seemingly straightforward stage.
I dunno, I guess we'll see.
What we learned is that the lava cascade has no bearing in the hazard, but without knowing what the hazard actually does we cannot say lava will or will not rise, independently of the cascade being there or not (its a videogame, the lava doesn't need to have a reason to rise). The holes in the walls are still present in the FD stage, if Ridley is the hazard and flies in and out of them, they would be a part of the hazard and would have no reason to remain in the hazardless stage, but there they are.
The lavafall is also the source of light of the stage* so it makes sense it would still be there in the FD stage.

* BTW, even though the light source is in the background, the shadows are casted into the X axis alone. If the game used realistic shadows, they would be casted diagonally towards the foreground. There is no reason to apply real-life physics to make arguments about this game's shadows.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
My verdict on Ridley: sit back and see what happens.

I want to be confident but I'm not. I'll be happy if Ridley makes it, and perfectly fine if he doesn't.
Let's see how it turns out.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Oh right, I almost forgot, but about the "which model is Smash using" talk that happened earlier:

People need to keep in mind the difference between model and design. Ridley is clearly using his Other M design for this game, but the model is completely new. Every character always uses a new model. Brawl Ganondorf was obviously using his Twilight Princess design, but the model from that game had some akward proportion issues going on. Brawl's model fixed this. I'm sure that's what's happening with Ridley here. It's basically Other Mley with less steroids. So we're pretty much getting concept artley.
That's what I'd imagine would happen. A thing which is only necessary if Ridley is playable, and not if he were a boss.

Then again, him being downsized to Bowser's size is ALSO unnecessary to do to a boss. :troll:

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
I'd say Wolf has a higher chance of getting in over Falco at this point
I've said this before and I'll say it again: if they were in Melee and in Brawl, they're in. No exceptions. That's it. Period. Falco is in the game.

"Hands off my roster, Wolf!" :falcomelee:

:troll:

No, but seriously, I think Wolf will come back. I want him back, but if it comes at the cost of mah boi Lucas, then I will go on a murderous rampage, driving the canis lupus to extinction. :evil:

Back on topic, I doubt Ridley's default will be Clone Ridley from Other M, he's too muscular to fit an aerial based character like Ridley and would just cause confusion with the stage boss.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I want Wolf back over Falco, but I do wish that with all the potential weapons and elements that they could pull from Star Fox. That Wolf and Falco could be a little more than simply too other space animals who shot the same gun/reflect out in a slightly different shape/direction/size.

How boring of a way to rep a series.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
And in fact, lots of people immediately started discussing gameplay.
It was maybe 3 people, and all of it happened because of Psycho, a long-time good poster, reliably posted something good related to Ridley with gameplay concepts. And while some people followed up on the interesting subjects he raised (namely air grabs, something I've talked at lengths about before). It also was immediately brushed over and generally forgotten about, like all gameplay discussion.
The thread/posters are only as bad as you make them out to be.
I've been around since 2007. I've seen what happens, and while there are quality posters, it's not exactly flourishing. It's certainly gotten better from the Club R.I.D.L.E.Y. days, but honestly, it couldn't be worse than that. Regardless, that thread is still mostly bad, and it isn't where it should be.

However, you could say that about most the threads, since they're glorified fan clubs rather than character-related gameplay focused hubs because people care more about "muh reps/sales/recuncy/fuvurites" than actual gameplay, because apparently no one plays the games, but instead just stares at the character select screen.

If you want a look at what that board should look like, take a look at the K. Rool thread. Now that's a good thread.
Rather than talk smack about it here or in private, you should man up and share your thoughts on said thread.
First off, I'm not "talking smack", I'm talking legitimate criticism of the thread and the culture of the thread. I think people who want to actually discuss Ridley as a potential newcomer in smash deserve better. I also in general want to see the community thrive, and I feel gameplay talk is a sign of that.

Second off, this isn't private. The only opinions I keep private are off-topic opinions (I don't post my thoughts on movies here, I go to another thread on another board or another site entirely), ones that don't belong here, or ones that I'm still forming (mostly in terms of how to present them) for the public to see.

Third off, I have shared my thoughts in that thread since before you've joined this site, so that criticism isn't even remotely fair. The only times I didn't share my thoughts about what's going on there is when the thread (in its' multiple incarnation dating to before Brawl came out) is when it is locked, or when all Ridley discussion was flat out banned in the pre-Brawl days.

Since we're insisting, I'll post this post in both the Social and Ridley threads. That way I can "man up" more than you and your petty insults and passive-aggressive machismo, and post in a thread for each ball I have. Nah, I'll stop at 2. I don't want to brag about my other balls. That come off as obsessive.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I am pretty sure only so much gameplay discussion can actually happen without becoming redundant or cyclical in 1,006 pages (near 40,000 posts).

In fact every time gameplay is brought up, it is literally a gameplay discussion I remember having or seeing word for word within the last hundred pages. It's mostly the same people here. We don't need to ask each others the same questions, or give each other the same answers other than maybe to catch new people who take up interest up on how we feel Ridley could work as a character.

So without gameplay discussion, of course on some level it's going to be largely related content or a "fan-club". GENERALLY SPEAKING people don't actively support characters they don't like. But that's really not more redundant than the 20th discussion about what Ridley's final smash could be, which would no doubt end in space pirate raids, Mecha ridley, skin hardening, the dyna blade rush, and a quick end to the conversation because everyone realizes we literally *just* had that talk.

You may not *like* it, but with as many people as are involved in this thread, I'm honestly just impressed it isn't a seething nest of angry bees like it was years ago.

EDIT: And for the record. That's not to say I appreciate the massive tangents we go on about Ridley ships and Ridley in a tuxedo or whatever. But we have made the SAME conclusions in literally everything so many times in this single thread that of course I would imagine we're going to break from repeating the same conversations for all eternity.

Last edited:

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
I want Wolf back over Falco, but I do wish that with all the potential weapons and elements that they could pull from Star Fox. That Wolf and Falco could be a little more than simply too* other space animals who shot the same gun/reflect out in a slightly different shape/direction/size.

How boring of a way to rep a series.
I like the idea of three clones. Fox is fast, Falco is better in the air and has great combo potential while Wolf is the slowest but strongest. I don't see why they should be too different from each other, if Falco had the Arwing for his Final Smash, but Fox didn't, it wouldn't make any sense. Falco isn't any more well known for using it.

Besides, compared to the likes of Dr. Mario and Pichu, they're not TOO similar. Falco's reflector and Wolf's side B feel like completely different moves from their counterparts, and then there's their A moves which are completely different. Also, from what I've heard, Fox's customs involve charging his blaster, so that argument is null and void.

Air grabs for Ridley would be pretty interesting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It was maybe 3 people, and all of it happened because of Psycho, a long-time good poster, reliably posted something good related to Ridley with gameplay concepts. And while some people followed up on the interesting subjects he raised (namely air grabs, something I've talked at lengths about before). It also was immediately brushed over and generally forgotten about, like all gameplay discussion.

I've been around since 2007. I've seen what happens, and while there are quality posters, it's not exactly flourishing. It's certainly gotten better from the Club R.I.D.L.E.Y. days, but honestly, it couldn't be worse than that. Regardless, that thread is still mostly bad, and it isn't where it should be.

However, you could say that about most the threads, since they're glorified fan clubs rather than character-related gameplay focused hubs because people care more about "muh reps/sales/recuncy/fuvurites" than actual gameplay, because apparently no one plays the games, but instead just stares at the character select screen.

If you want a look at what that board should look like, take a look at the K. Rool thread. Now that's a good thread.

First off, I'm not "talking smack", I'm talking legitimate criticism of the thread and the culture of the thread. I think people who want to actually discuss Ridley as a potential newcomer in smash deserve better. I also in general want to see the community thrive, and I feel gameplay talk is a sign of that.

Second off, this isn't private. The only opinions I keep private are off-topic opinions (I don't post my thoughts on movies here, I go to another thread on another board or another site entirely), ones that don't belong here, or ones that I'm still forming (mostly in terms of how to present them) for the public to see.

Third off, I have shared my thoughts in that thread since before you've joined this site, so that criticism isn't even remotely fair. The only times I didn't share my thoughts about what's going on there is when the thread (in its' multiple incarnation dating to before Brawl came out) is when it is locked, or when all Ridley discussion was flat out banned in the pre-Brawl days.

Since we're insisting, I'll post this post in both the Social and Ridley threads. That way I can "man up" more than you and your petty insults and passive-aggressive machismo, and post in a thread for each ball I have. Nah, I'll stop at 2. I don't want to brag about my other balls. That come off as obsessive.
Well I read your other post, so if you don't like us that much, why do you post here on occasion?

Furthermore, we as the supporters of Ridley, can talk about whatever we wish with regards to Ridley in Smash 4, so please don't go running around spewing things about how "we don't run this thread properly" blablablablabla. You mentioned how you worked in the "Wind Waker Link" threads and how you made it a really active thread, well, so what? Why the hell should we care if you think we should be running around trying to promote Ridley as a cool character? I assume you are at least somewhat aware of the Toobigots and how adamant they can be, so why would we go waste our time trying to convert such adamant detractors when we can talk amongst ourselves about our hopes for Ridley and our thoughts about and relating to him, however miscellaneous they may be? Does this thread run somewhat on a "fan club" mentality that doesn't try to sell Ridley to everyone? Sure, but what problem is there with that? What if all we want to do is make Ridley "the cooler talk at work"? As @ majora_787 majora_787 said, a little thing exists here that I would call the "Ridley Cycles" where we go through and discuss the same stuff about Ridley that has already been discussed many times before, be it character size, movesets, and whatever else might pertain to Ridley.

In short, Why the hell do you care? Stop acting like we should run our character support thread a certain way because "that's the way it should be." I haven't heard anything about you becoming the King of Threads who gets to tell everyone what they're supposed to do in the Character Support Threads they frequent, so if you don't like it stop complaining and ignore it. Your solitary opinion will ultimately change nothing.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I am pretty sure only so much gameplay discussion can actually happen without becoming redundant or cyclical in 1,006 pages (near 40,000 posts).

In fact every time gameplay is brought up, it is literally a gameplay discussion I remember having or seeing word for word within the last hundred pages. It's mostly the same people here. We don't need to ask each others the same questions, or give each other the same answers other than maybe to catch new people who take up interest up on how we feel Ridley could work as a character.

So without gameplay discussion, of course on some level it's going to be largely related content or a "fan-club". GENERALLY SPEAKING people don't actively support characters they don't like. But that's really not more redundant than the 20th discussion about what Ridley's final smash could be, which would no doubt end in space pirate raids, Mecha ridley, skin hardening, the dyna blade rush, and a quick end to the conversation because everyone realizes we literally *just* had that talk.

You may not *like* it, but with as many people as are involved in this thread, I'm honestly just impressed it isn't a seething nest of angry bees like it was years ago.

EDIT: And for the record. That's not to say I appreciate the massive tangents we go on about Ridley ships and Ridley in a tuxedo or whatever. But we have made the SAME conclusions in literally everything so many times in this single thread that of course I would imagine we're going to break from repeating the same conversations for all eternity.
This, exactly. Going off-topic once and a while isn't too bad. The problem is basically discussing how Ridley would work as a character is a cyclical process. Even in the K. Rool thread we go off-topic about how much we like K. Rool on occasion and just enjoy chatting about how awesome the character is. Same thing happens with Ridley.

Now, I don't think character threads should stop discussing the character all-together. When it gets to crap like "yay xyz amount of posts!" and nothing about the character itself, THAT is when I get annoyed. It should be "this, this, and that about Ridley" and maybe with an "omg 1,000 pages!" thrown in at the end.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
We've talked about Ridley's playstyle plenty, people have posted multiple movesets for classic Ridley, Meta Ridley, Other M Evolution Ridley, even a Ridley that evolves from classic into Meta into Omega throughout the battle. Personally I don't really feel like putting out my "reverse Little Mac" notion anymore either. So yeah, Ridley's actual playstyle isn't a foreign concept to us, but it was a couple 500 or so pages back when people figured we had already come up with most possible concepts, at this point we're really just waiting for an answer. I can't imagine why anyone would bother fantasizing about different playstyles for over a year for something that might not even happen, if all threads did this then they'd die at page 30. Yes, this has become much of a social thread, I'm not denying that, and that's partly the reason we need Ridley confirmed or deconfirmed, so we either can get our own forum or get the heck outta here.

I'd prefer we save the drama until the next official Ridley bomb though, whatever that might be, this can't possibly lead to anything good at all, especially knowing how stubborn some people are.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

So you want us to keep talking in endless circles over and over again? Do you know how many times aerial grabs have been brought up here? If there was more we could talk about I'd try harder to stay on topic, but there really isn't much we can talk about.

I'm not going to talk in endless circles just so we can stay "on topic". We're even talking in endless circles while staying off topic. If you don't like it, leave.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So on the topic of gameplay, I'm not too sure how many times it's been mentioned, but what about recovery? Exactly how many jumps should Ridley have if he's playable. I mean, guys like Pit and Charizard have more than the standard double jump due to them having wings. I would say Ridley should have 3, since he'd likely still be a heavier character. Again, like Charizard and Pit, he could be given a glide to use in mid-air.

I wouldn't really want to give Ridley an Up-B that doesn't do damage, so I'm not a fan of a flying mode/stance.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
How bout a summoner moveset for Ridley. I don't think anyone has done that. :b:

Neutral-Special- Ridley pulls Mini-Kraid out of his nonexistent pockets and Mini-Kraid shoots a spike that travels pretty fast.
Side-Special- Ridley whips out Crocomire, who rampages forward, dragging Ridley along with it. It damages anyone in its path.
Up-Special- Ridley takes out Draygon, and then proceeds to grab on to him as he flies upwards.
Down-Special- Phantoon appears, making Ridley intangible for a second. This acts as a counter.

This is clearly the best way to represent Ridley and Metroid. :troll:

(Starting a petition to make the Plasm Wraith thread a social thread)

Last edited:

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman

Neutral-Special- Ridley pulls Mini-Kraid out of his nonexistent pockets and Mini-Kraid shoots a spike that travels pretty fast.
Side-Special- Ridley whips out Crocomire, who rampages forward, dragging Ridley along with it. It damages anyone in its path.
Up-Special- Ridley takes out Draygon, and then proceeds to grab on to him as he flies upwards.
Down-Special- Phantoon appears, making Ridley intangible for a second. This acts as a counter.

I think now is the right time for me to make my ridley is a clone of rosalina moveset

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So on the topic of gameplay, I'm not too sure how many times it's been mentioned, but what about recovery? Exactly how many jumps should Ridley have if he's playable. I mean, guys like Pit and Charizard have more than the standard double jump due to them having wings. I would say Ridley should have 3, since he'd likely still be a heavier character. Again, like Charizard and Pit, he could be given a glide to use in mid-air.

I wouldn't really want to give Ridley an Up-B that doesn't do damage, so I'm not a fan of a flying mode/stance.
I'm thinking Ridley would have 2-3 jumps, combined with a hover mechanic similar to Peach. Basically, when he jumps he can stay hovering for a while (longer than Peach) before he falls back down. Considering the fact that he was hovering for about 5 seconds in the trailer, it makes sense.

Pac-Man's summoning moveset is bad enough. That's a horrible design for a moveset and Ridley doesn't NEED to summon his allies to fight for him because he's powerful enough on his own. :p (Of course I know you're joking.)

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Seems legit. I mean, Ridley is big enough to take all of his comrades out of his "pockets". :troll:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm thinking multiple jumps could be a thing. Possibly his up special functioning as a sort of hover, as well. Or maybe his up special could function as either a hover OR a jump depending on how it's used?

And I imagine if hovering Ridley would be able to move horizontally, utilize projectiles and tail stabs, and also grab opponents and maybe pick up and throw items.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think now is the right time for me to make my ridley is a clone of rosalina moveset
Never thought I would hear that. Still summoning a swarm of Space Pirates would be an interesting option for a Final Smash. Not exactly my first choice honestly. I would have gone with him shooting a giant Fire Bomb, like in Other M. Though that might be seen as a little generic to some.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't know. I would rather Ridley have skin hardening and giant fire bombs more like Diddy Kong than the space pirate equivalent of King Dedede's "BGD".

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The questioning cycle. A time when we sit back and think about just what we're doing.

Oddly enough it tends to be followed by the silly cycle.

SmashLover777

Smash Cadet
NNID
Starfy324
Yay a support thread for Ridley!:bee:I love the idea of having him in since he would have such a unique moveset. Also that he's not the same character as:4samus:... and :4zss: (even though their movesets are different. ._.)

majora_787

Smash Hero
The questioning cycle. A time when we sit back and think about just what we're doing.

Oddly enough it tends to be followed by the silly cycle.
And it doesn't help when Ridley discussion literally amounts to this:

E3 2013 happens. SSB4 hype ignites. No Ridley.

No news for 70 days.

August 20th, 2013. Sakurai implies that Ridley can appear on Pyrosphere. Curiosity aroused at the lack of any level of specifics whatsoever.

No news for *230 days*.

April 9th, 2014. Ridley's shadow is shown. A massive investigation goes underway to determine exactly how much the events of the direct pertaining to Ridley mean in any direction.

No news for 60 more days.

E3 2014 happens. The only "news" is that Pyrosphere was conveniently absent from the demo.

Back to no news.

What can we really talk about here? There's most likely not going to be anything to talk about with Ridley besides Gameplay until the game comes out and he is revealed playable. It's pretty obvious Sakurai wants to milk this for what it's worth.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
And it doesn't help when Ridley discussion literally amounts to this:

E3 2013 happens. SSB4 hype ignites. No Ridley.

No news for 70 days.

August 20th, 2013. Sakurai implies that Ridley can appear on Pyrosphere. Curiosity aroused at the lack of any level of specifics whatsoever.

No news for *230 days*.

April 9th, 2014. Ridley's shadow is shown. A massive investigation goes underway to determine exactly how much the events of the direct pertaining to Ridley mean in any direction.

No news for 60 more days.

E3 2014 happens. The only "news" is that Pyrosphere was conveniently absent from the demo.

Back to no news.

What can we really talk about here?
The lack of news.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Pac-Man's summoning moveset is bad enough. That's a horrible design for a moveset and Ridley doesn't NEED to summon his allies to fight for him because he's powerful enough on his own. :p (Of course I know you're joking.)
OH OH

How about Little Birdy Ridley? THEN he'd NEED the help!:troll:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
To be honest, I don't get all the hate about Zero Suit Samus. At least when it comes to the moveset she has. She is a completely different fighter, so that's enough for me. Sure it'd be cooler to play as Ridley or Dark Samus or something, but it's not a terrible choice.

I'm thinking Ridley would have 2-3 jumps, combined with a hover mechanic similar to Peach. Basically, when he jumps he can stay hovering for a while (longer than Peach) before he falls back down. Considering the fact that he was hovering for about 5 seconds in the trailer, it makes sense.
A hovering style similar to Peach wouldn't be too bad either. A glide similar to Pit or Charizard might work too. Not really sure which would work better for a potential moveset. A lot of us had the idea that he'd be an Air-Grappler. So the hover works in line with that. The glide might work better with him moving around quickly. And if you can maneuver around the stage easily, then that could help with a keep-away style.

Top Bottom