• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
So I was thinking about a Ridley up-special that would fit in with how he was flying in the Direct.

What if when he used it, he would get a vertical boost, and after that, would take flight. He wouldn't be able to fly up after this, only down and to the sides. And maybe get infinite flight on that level that he used the up-special? I suppose he could jump out of it too. I think this might help him control the air.

Thoughts? I didn't write much because I'm still questioning myself about its fairness/usability.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I have seen too much color theory and when I saw this 2 avis alonside mine I thought of the 3 primary colors....

Untitled2.png

I got Red
@CamZilla94 got Blue
and @Dalek_Kolt got Yellow

-u- Hehe....school affects me....and hunger too.

I hope to be able to draw more Ridley stuff later....YAY for RIDLEY! :D

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
If you take a look-see at Angelglory's model (which he made with the platforms and tallest characters in the game in mind with no consideration of my tail analysis in mind) you can see it's a little smaller than my scale.
Yours on the right looks perfect to me, not too small, and still intimidating.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Too be fair regarding the Xplain's video. I don't think they actually ARE taunting Metroid fans, they are just stating a fact because we do see most of the things in some sort of way hint to Ridley. Of course we are, because it COULD make sense even though we will never know. Unless Sakurai does say that he did hint him in several PotDs..

But yeah, they aren't very clever when it comes to discussing.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If you take a look-see at Angelglory's model (which he made with the platforms and tallest characters in the game in mind with no consideration of my tail analysis in mind) you can see it's a little smaller than my scale.
Kinda close to my Ridley size:

Mine is kinda smaller...or not...it is close anyway.

So, now we have to reach 2000th page and get confirmation of Ridley as a playable character?

...new avatar get! *Metroid Item Get SFX/Music/whatever*

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Kinda close to my Ridley size:

Mine is kinda smaller...or not...it is close anyway.

So, now we have to reach 2000th page and get confirmation of Ridley as a playable character?

...new avatar get! *Metroid Item Get SFX/Music/whatever*
xD Your Roidley avi (it is Roidley, right? I'm half blind and I can barely see things that dark....) looks really cool!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I have seen too much color theory and when I saw this 2 avis alonside mine I thought of the 3 primary colors....

View attachment 17136
I got Red
@CamZilla94 got Blue
and @Dalek_Kolt got Yellow

-u- Hehe....school affects me....and hunger too.

I hope to be able to draw more Ridley stuff later....YAY for RIDLEY! :D
This is a great combination of images, haha

And @ all the people who're making Ridley sizes, and all come to about a similar size

I really like the size you've come to, but I expect to see at least a slightly different model in game. Didn't we confirm lack of Roidley arms in the shadow? Or was that too blurry to be concrete?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I really like the size you've come to, but I expect to see at least a slightly different model in game. Didn't we confirm lack of Roidley arms in the shadow? Or was that too blurry to be concrete?
Model used for Ridley is Other M one (or at least looks like it) in SSB WiiU - look at that part of the direct again and you will notice Roidley`s tail spike.

xD Your Roidley avi (it is Roidley, right? I'm half blind and I can barely see things that dark....) looks really cool!
Yes it is Roidley. Your avi looks better.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Here's a little theory I thought about:

What if the reason why Sakurai showed Ridley's shadow in the Direct, is because the other stages that have boss hazards were far from completed? He had to improvise by teasing Ridley, who was a boss in Brawl, thus letting people know that it wasn't just limited to Yellow Devil.

It's definitely grasping for straws, I know.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Model used for Ridley is Other M one is SSB WiiU - look at that part of the direct again and you will notice Roidley`s tail spike.

I know it's the tail spike we all know and love, but I thought the arms in the shadow were skinny, indicating a new/hybrid model?

What if the reason why Sakurai showed Ridley's shadow in the Direct, is because the other stages that have boss hazards were far from completed? He had to improvise by teasing Ridley, who was a boss in Brawl, thus letting people know that it wasn't just limited to Yellow Devil.

Sorry, I agree with you, I think you're grasping there xD

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I know it's the tail spike we all know and love, but I thought the arms in the shadow were skinny, indicating a new/hybrid model?
Shadows can get really warped/deformed sometimes, but i hope it is a hybrid or even new model.

Then he could just not show any other bosses except for Yellow Devil in that part of the direct. It was called "Yellow Devil" anyway, so, he didn`t needed to show any other bosses other than Yellow Devil himself.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Do detractors legitimately despise Ridley and the Metroid franchise in general? Because from what I've seen, they're nauseated by the thought of Metroid getting better representation and seem to liken it to Goku or Naruto being playable. Perhaps they have nothing better to do?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Do detractors legitimately despite Ridley and the Metroid franchise in general? Because from what I've seen, they're nauseated by the thought of Metroid getting better representation and seem to liken it to Goku or Naruto being playable. Perhaps they have nothing better to do?
There is enough of detractors that didn`t played main Metroid games too and want one-shot Hunters instead...A lot of detractors just don`t care about Ridley and want to just make us angry. Other want someone else instead like Toad or something like that without even knowing who is Ridley or not caring about it. There is some peoples who just say that Ridley is too big as a joke and not as something serious. I know at least 2 examples.
And i didn`t saw serious "Goku/Naruto/Something even worse for Smash 4" threads for a while. Is there any here or on GamesFAQ?

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
There is enough of detractors that didn`t played main Metroid games too and want one-shot Hunters instead...Some of the detractors just don`t care about Ridley and want to just make us angry. There is some peoples who just say that Ridley is too big as a joke and not as something serious. I know at least 2 examples.
And i didn`t saw serious "Goku/Naruto/Something even worse for Smash 4" threads for a while. Is there any here or on GamesFAQ?
Well, I saw one comment on the Mii subforum that said adding the Miis in was just as bad as adding Goku, Naruto, and Ridley.

I'm just trying to learn why Metroid seems to have such a vocal hatedom.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Full disclosure, I'd definitely trade Ridley's playability for playable Sylux AND Ghor. But it really doesn't take much research to realize that that'd be a ridiculous disservice to the franchise.

Moral of the story is I wish Detractors could do a little more than extremely basic and face-forward thought when discussing things.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
It wasn't so much hating as it was blanket false accusations (to me anyway). But yeh. At least they're not as bad as Japan Time.

Basically the difference between:

"Oh those silly Ridley fans always doing wacky dumb stuff we made up just now :awesome:"

and

"Sakurai vaguely alluded to Ridley's existance in a PotD in August? RIDLEY DECONFIRMED *PARTY NOISES AND CONFETTI*"
You haven't listened to Japan Time for a while have you? Roger's gone from being one of the most vocal Ridley detractors to saying Ridley being playable is inevitable. It was a beautiful transformation...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't have close connections to Metroid and I hate all these comments about Ridley as well. I'm listening to the GameExplain video right now and I skipped the damn part where they mentioned Ridley. I fully believe Ridley is playable (as I've mentioned before) and I think it'll turn out very well, he's a great character and is the real main antagonist of the Metroid series. The thing is, too, is that it helps me because it helps K. Rool's chances as well. :D

majora_787

Smash Hero
You haven't listened to Japan Time for a while have you? Roger's gone from being one of the most vocal Ridley detractors to saying Ridley being playable is inevitable. It was a beautiful transformation...
Full disclosure? I literally stopped watching Japan Time at that episode back in August and haven't glanced its way since. So if they got better I most definitely wouldn't know.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Strange. I wouldn't want to be that optimistic. Just because Sakurai teased Ridley without outright disconfirming him doesn't mean he's a lock.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So... at the end of GameExplain's video, they comment on how Sakurai LOVES trolling about Palutena. They never consider the fact that Sakurai might be trolling about Ridley as well? :p

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
We need Ridley in Smash just so we can have a World-Class menagerie of fighters! Like, we already have a turtle, monkey, gorilla, hedgehog, dinosaur, fire dragon, frog, fox, penguin, and mouse! It'd be complete with our very own space dragon!

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Strange. I wouldn't want to be that optimistic. Just because Sakurai teased Ridley without outright disconfirming him doesn't mean he's a lock.
He works for Nintendo and said he's terrified of what the Ridley fans are going to do to him if Ridley is confirmed. I'd take that with a grain of salt.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I don't have close connections to Metroid and I hate all these comments about Ridley as well. I'm listening to the GameExplain video right now and I skipped the damn part where they mentioned Ridley. The thing is, too, is that it helps me because it helps K. Rool's chances as well. :D
They said some pretty offensive things...... I say we all go over to that video and give those assholes what's coming to them!

and yes, K.Rool deserves playability more than most characters.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I dunno. Like it's not hard to think Ridley won't happen without being an asshole. If you don't want people to rip you a new one, don't BE one. I dunno why that's difficult for some people.

EDIT: Is that... Kakashley? o_O

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
They said some pretty offensive things...... I say we all go over to that video and give those *******s what's coming to them!

and yes, K.Rool deserves playability more than most characters.
No, we shouldn't, that's STUPID. Just because people troll Ridley fans doesn't mean Ridley fans should strike back. Just wait until Ridley is confirmed then everyone will laugh it off (and I'm about 90% positive that Ridley is playable, with a few doubts).

Oh, :4greninja:'d.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
So... at the end of GameExplain's video, they comment on how Sakurai LOVES trolling about Palutena. They never consider the fact that Sakurai might be trolling about Ridley as well? :p
Because They're Hypocritical Moronic Good-fer-Nothin' Toobigoted Assholes

majora_787

Smash Hero
There's really no point in arguing with detractors. It's kind of like screaming at a bunch of bricks. They're still bricks, and people who aren't involved at all just kind of wonder why the hell you're yelling at a brick.

And they look at you even more strangely if you accuse the bricks of screaming at you, even if they obviously are

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Yeah he compared game and watch's inevitability to Ridley's inevitability.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I dunno. Like it's not hard to think Ridley won't happen without being an *******. If you don't want people to rip you a new one, don't BE one. I dunno why that's difficult for some people.

EDIT: Is that... Kakashley? o_O
apparently it's hard to show manners on the internet, I guess that's why they are Ridley detractors act that way, otherwise our goodm ol' chap would have taught them some manners *points at all the Ridley drawings with tophat, suit and a cane*

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
No, we shouldn't, that's STUPID. Just because people troll Ridley fans doesn't mean Ridley fans should strike back. Just wait until Ridley is confirmed then everyone will laugh it off (and I'm about 90% positive that Ridley is playable, with a few doubts).

Oh, :4greninja:'d.
Grr.........Fine. I'm Sorry, I'm just downright pissed today. maybe my behavior isn't warrented, but it frustrating when you subscribe to people, and then they basically insult you. LoveSmash, Digibro, Mobrostudio, GameXplain- All pissing me off lately.

:4greninja: Right Back at Ya!

majora_787

Smash Hero
Grr.........Fine. I'm Sorry, I'm just downright pissed today. maybe my behavior isn't warrented, but it frustrating when you subscribe to people, and then they basically insult you. LoveSmash, Digibro, Mobrostudio, GameXplain- All pissing me off lately.

:4greninja: Right Back at Ya!
I think there are only two youtube channels I ever unsubscribed from. The channel that puts up Japan Time, and Lancun. Both for vaguely similar reasons. I generally don't subscribe to people who are going to be that way, even if I do to some extent have some interest in seeing how GameXplain interprets newcomer movesets.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I finally committed, guys.

took the plunge.

Changin' my username to match the one I actually use places.

I shall keep my avatar to prevent confusion, because no matter what my username, I know that deep down, you all know I am really just Super King, a hero with all the powers of super man combined with all the powers of a knig.

And uh, to the individuals who are responding to raging and trolling by raging and trolling, don't. That goes bad places. There's a reason that pre brawl there were like 4 Ridley threads, and then a ban on Ridley threads. Hatred is a cycle. A cycle much easier to break than the cycle of ignorance, or the water cycle. In fact, if anyone has any information on how to stop the water cycle, pm me, it's a very difficult problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom