• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
That or "the cunning god of death". Either a reference to his status as Samus' nemesis, or to his own title.

EDIT: What? xD I think that's a little off. By like a month and four years.

Last edited:

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
Yes. come to think of it I'm not even sure if he really regenerates like that, although he may in both the games and manga due to the fact he takes tons of damage each battle, although if that ability is in the games too then he wouldn't become Meta Ridley. Great, just another thing to confuse me with, and likely never find an answer too.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The problem is, if Ridley can't regenerate then the Ridley in Super Metroid is a second Ridley that came out of nowhere, and Roidley is actually the THIRD Ridley.

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
The only possible reason ridley had to become meta ridley is if he ran out of human to consume to regenerate. which would cause him to be a cyborg. and it is possible that before roidley (if that theory about roidley being ridley is correct) ridley was too weak to find any flesh to consume or in fact could not consume flesh, and then it absorbed the other creature's dna to fuse with it which would cause it to turn into Roidley's strange life cycle. I am starting to confuse myself.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Let's try this again.

Have some Japanese Ridley artwork!

I think this one wow'd me the most. A good number of the other ones like the last couple or so I had seen some years ago, but I don't remember if I saw this one before. Probably not. Still, awesome stuff, and you're sure all these were done by Japanese fans? The one I quoted in particular could even become a future avatar if the occasion called for it.

xD Oh yeah, I have them, you know, the only thing that annoys me when looking for Ridley stuff on Pixiv is that instead of getting Ridley, I get images of a girl called Ridley Silverlake from tales of Symphonia or whatever.... :/
I've played Symphonia enough times to know she's not from that game, but probably from some other Tales game or something. That reminds me though, I still get somewhat of a laugh every time I see this... I'm sure it scarred some Silverlake fans that were looking for art on her one day. :troll:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Yes. come to think of it I'm not even sure if he really regenerates like that, although he may in both the games and manga due to the fact he takes tons of damage each battle, although if that ability is in the games too then he wouldn't become Meta Ridley. Great, just another thing to confuse me with, and likely never find an answer too.
Oh yeah, I guess it was because he was heavily wounded and the regeneration process may be kind of slow when he does not eat something, that is why the pirates took care of the situation and transformed him into Meta, and I guess his regenaration process did not got faster when he was infused with Phazon as Omega, because he had one wound that was not healed yet on his chest (that I guess it was the wound the reason because all the phazon got into his heart)

majora_787

Smash Hero
The only possible reason ridley had to become meta ridley is if he ran out of human to consume to regenerate. which would cause him to be a cyborg.
Well, there definitely weren't any humans to consume on Tallon IV at the bottom of the impact crater.

EDIT: Actually that makes sense. The gaps between Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3 were probably much smaller than the gap betwee Prime 3 and Super Metroid.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That or "the cunning god of death". Either a reference to his status as Samus' nemesis, or to his own title.

EDIT: What? xD I think that's a little off. By like a month and four years.
I can't imagine they'll let the word "god" be used for a trailer for a game that's so out in the spotlight. So I really doubt they'll use that title.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I can't imagine they'll let the word "god" be used for a trailer for a game that's so out in the spotlight. So I really doubt they'll use that title.
Palutena's was called "Goddess of Light", so I'm pretty sure context matters and would be exceedingly apparent.

But anyway that's what I'm assuming: The gap after Zero Mission to Prime and from Prime 1 to Prime 3 was too small for there to be time for Ridley to heal ALL THE WAY back to normal by eating, but from Prime 3 to Super Metroid there was sufficient time. Probably several years.

D

Deleted member

The only possible reason ridley had to become meta ridley is if he ran out of human to consume to regenerate. which would cause him to be a cyborg.
COOL!

So you're saying that if I starve myself I automatically become a cyborg?!

:troll:

I'm so sorry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ridley become Meta Ridley by being reconstructed by the Space Pirates after an extremely damaging fight with Samus or something?

EDIT: Looked it up, turns out he was reconstructed by the Space Pirates after all.

If I completely missed something please tell me as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think this one wow'd me the most. A good number of the other ones like the last couple or so I had seen some years ago, but I don't remember if I saw this one before. Probably not. Still, awesome stuff, and you're sure all these were done by Japanese fans? The one I quoted in particular could even become a future avatar if the occasion called for it.
Yep.

Pixiv is basically like Deviantart for Japan. While there are a ton of English-speaking lurkers (and even commenters), practically no one posts artwork except the Japanese artists. Personally, I always search for things using the Japanese name(s) rather than the English, since that's the language most of the titles are in. In this case, I used "リドリー", which is Ridley's Japanese name. So, unless someone was posting in Japanese to get along with the natives, I jest, I jest definitely all Japanese.

Palutena's was called "Goddess of Light", so I'm pretty sure context matters and would be exceedingly apparent.

But anyway that's what I'm assuming: The gap after Zero Mission to Prime and from Prime 1 to Prime 3 was too small for there to be time for Ridley to heal ALL THE WAY back to normal by eating, but from Prime 3 to Super Metroid there was sufficient time. Probably several years.
Huh. Forgot about that. Guess it's more acceptable when it's "Light" rather than "Death"?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Basically what I seem to be under the impression of is this: After Zero Mission, Ridley didn't have the time to heal himself by eating before the events of Prime 1, so he was just outfitted with mechanical improvements. That, or it could have been his own fascination with the notion of MECHA RIDLEY and wanting to become one with his own machine. Who knows.

Metroid Prime 3 came too soon for Ridley to heal up as well, but after he was defeated in the Pirate Homeworld, he was in a safe enough environment (for him) and had enough time before the events of Super Metroid to eat up and return to health before resuming the Zebes operation after stealing the metroid baby.

EDIT: "God of Death" is a pretty understandable message around the world. It's more of a worldwide mythological entity or symbol than anything. I really don't think they would avoid it because they don't like the sound of advertising a T-rated game with it.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Aw, man.

Pixiv has so much fantastic Ridley art that I want to post it all, but that would be spamming the thread.

If only Ridley was confirmed as a playable character sooner...

So Ridley DOES have some fans in Japan.
I honestly think people exaggerate his lack of popularity (and the Metroid franchise in general) in Japan. Sure, he's no Mega Man, Shulk, or Mewtwo, but he does have some support for playability amongst the fanbase. I remember this Japanese fansite where they listed potential candidates for SSB4, and Ridley and Dark Samus were listed among them. Ridley was described as the main villain of the Metroid franchise and has huge potential for a unique moveset. It also listed his height at 3.5 meters (that's 11 ft for the imperically impaired), which means he isn't much bigger than Bowser.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
II've played Symphonia enough times to know she's not from that game, but probably from some other Tales game or something. That reminds me though, I still get somewhat of a laugh every time I see this... I'm sure it scarred some Silverlake fans that were looking for art on her one day. :troll:

Ah, that never gets old.

And, by the way, she's from Radiata Stories, not from the Tales franchise.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's not so much a theory as much as it's how it would've had to have worked. Otherwise there is no way Super Metroid Ridley is even the original Ridley chronologically speaking.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
A dark reskin on Ridley would look so good.
On a side not can someone tell me how to put pictures inside of spoiler tags it's bugging me that I don't know how

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
It's not so much a theory as much as it's how it would've had to have worked. Otherwise there is no way Super Metroid Ridley is even the original Ridley chronologically speaking.
you mean if the Super metroid ridley isn't ridley, it may have been a clone made by mother brain, or another one of ridley's kind?

majora_787

Smash Hero
you mean if the Super metroid ridley isn't ridley, it may have been a clone made by mother brain, or another one of ridley's kind?
It could be either or, really. Going by Ridley alone, his species seems very capable.

And it makes me wonder, since going off Prime 1, Ridley isn't NAMED Ridley so much as the Space Pirates CALL him Ridley.

majora_787

Smash Hero
As if the space pirates think it's the ridley, but it isn't the real ridley, as if High command did something to him and didn't let the Space pirates know?
Yes. Their pet space dragon died, and they found an equally malicious one and replaced the old one with the new one without telling them. It's very awkward to think of it that way but space pirates do seem VERY fond of their non-space pirate species animal companions

Morbi

Scavenger
A dark reskin on Ridley would look so good.
On a side not can someone tell me how to put pictures inside of spoiler tags it's bugging me that I don't know how
First you type out the collapse tags. They look like this (below); however, do not include the space in between the brackets and the word "collapse."

[ collapse ] Image here [ /collapse ]

Ridley is the best Smash character 5eva

Last edited:

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
Yes. Their pet space dragon died, and they found an equally malicious one and replaced the old one with the new one without telling them. It's very awkward to think of it that way but space pirates do seem VERY fond of their non-space pirate species animal companions
True. Although we do not know if the real Ridley is the one Badly damaged and makes clones of himself or is healing himself while some at high command are making copies of him, since one of the ridley's did make a incomplete robot ridley.

majora_787

Smash Hero
True. Although we do not know if the real Ridley is the one Badly damaged and makes clones of himself or is healing himself while some at high command are making copies of him, since one of the ridley's did make a incomplete robot ridley.
I like to believe the real Ridley was the original and the ubernarcissist.

Zango

Smash Apprentice
I can just hear those sweet words now...

"Now, I'd like to take a moment to introduce you to another newcomer joining the roster. This one's a character I was a tad hesitant to add, and we've struggled with taking his considerable size into account. However, this is a character that's been a feature antagonist of one of our flagship franchises here at Nintendo for quite some time now, and has been both a trophy and more recently a boss in Brawl's Subspace mode. But, rather then tell you all about him, I figured I'd just introduce you..."

majora_787

Smash Hero

"Now, I'd like to take a moment to introduce you to another newcomer joining the roster. This one's a character I was a tad hesitant to add, and we've struggled with taking his considerable size into account. However, this is a character that's been a feature antagonist of one of our flagship franchises here at Nintendo for quite some time now, and has been both a trophy and more recently a boss in Brawl's Subspace mode. But, rather then tell you all about him, I figured I'd just introduce you..."

Petey Piranha is too small. I mean have you SEEN how tiny he is in that non-canon spinoff game Mario Kart? :troll:

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I think I just found a new favorite picture, I like alternate costumes too much.

Had to try it out

D

Deleted member

It could be either or, really. Going by Ridley alone, his species seems very capable.

And it makes me wonder, since going off Prime 1, Ridley isn't NAMED Ridley so much as the Space Pirates CALL him Ridley.
Would explain how both Ridleys could co-exist in the SSE. :troll:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Sure I'll support him, but only if he's in a tag team with King Boo.

Just as I like the idea of Ridley teaming up with Kraid or Phantoon.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So, quickie question:

A ton of you are on the fence when it comes to whether Ridley is playable or not. (I'm not, if Sakurai wants to hype up Ridley, I might as well be hyped. Worst-case scenario, crushing disappointment, but nothing fatal, but anyway)

Would you be okay with a Stage Hazardley this big? Our shadow analysists and wizards have come to a general consensus that Ridley is roughly this size, despite little cooperation between parties.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
So, quickie question:

A ton of you are on the fence when it comes to whether Ridley is playable or not. (I'm not, if Sakurai wants to hype up Ridley, I might as well be hyped. Worst-case scenario, crushing disappointment, but nothing fatal, but anyway)

Would you be okay with a Stage Hazardley this big? Our shadow analysists and wizards have come to a general consensus that Ridley is roughly this size, despite little cooperation between parties.
Your Ridley looks like its wings would clip through the floating platforms; otherwise, it looks good.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So, quickie question:

It's safe to say that most people would consider a Stage Hazardly that small to be a waste, because why bother making him small if you're not going to make him playable? The "too big" argument will be smeared even further into the mud, but that won't stop detractors from coming up with even more worthless arguments.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Wizardglory's Ridley is smaller, but the question was, would you be okay fighting a boss this big?
Not really, but only if his AI was very aggressive, like Ridley should be.

2/10 approval rating for Ridley being a boss, imo.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ah, thanks for the clarification @ the others who responded to me.

In that game Ridley was a codename for this "Geoform 187". Things like that made the pirate hierarchy system even more mysterious for me.

Top Bottom