• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ah, thanks for the clarification @ the others who responded to me.

In that game Ridley was a codename for this "Geoform 187". Things like that made the pirate hierarchy system even more mysterious for me.
My current theory is that the Space Pirate heirarchy is based on the strongest ruling over the weak. Ridley was originally just a particularly powerful mercenary/serial killer that the Space Pirates hired/recruited, and his natural talent for killing things and raiding planets elevated a simple mercenary into the leader of the most terrible force in the galaxy. Ridley never fought tooth or nail for the job, he was just naturally suited for it.

So when the more powerful Mother Brain came into the picture, Ridley's lack of ambition for leadership made it easy for him to simply follow orders once more. Ridley's a murderous, bloodthirsty beast first, and a cunning, intelligent leader second.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
My current theory is that the Space Pirate heirarchy is based on the strongest ruling over the weak. Ridley was originally just a particularly powerful mercenary/serial killer that the Space Pirates hired/recruited, and his natural talent and prowess at killing things and raiding planets elevated a simple mercenary into the leader of the most terrible force in the galaxy. Ridley never fought tooth or nail for the job, he was just naturally suited for it.

So when the more powerful Mother Brain came into the picture, Ridley's lack of ambition for leadership made it easy for him to simply follow orders once more. Ridley's a murderous, bloodthirsty beast first, and a cunning, intelligent leader second.
I think there is a difference between Mother Brain and Dark Samus and why they took control.

The Space Pirates presumably found Mother Brain on Zebes and decided to use it because of its superior intellect to plan and organize the Zebes operation. it WAS a super-powerful supercomputer created by the Chozo, so no doubt they wanted to use it while they could. Dark Samus, on the other hand, more or less absorbed all of the pirates' phazon and bullied them into submission through phazon corruption.

But moral of the story is, pretty sure Mother Brain was seated as the leader because it was more intelligent by design and was able to control Metroids.

EDIT: Fact checking. Unsure if Mother Brain is able to explicitly control the actions of Ridley or Kraid or if it just hightens their aggression, but Space Pirates are definitely susceptible to Mother Brain mind controlling them. Which is presumably why they didn't take Mother Brain with them when they left Zebes, and also why they rebuilt Tourian when they returned.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Wizardglory's Ridley is smaller, but the question was, would you be okay fighting a boss this big?
Loving these sizes.

Have you guys heard the leak that Says Shulk will be revealed at an upcoming event (And Sakurai recently mentioned on the japanese Miiverse there would be an event on Sunday and I don't think he ever mentions anything unless a character reveal is coming), I think he said there are four newcomers left we don't know of yet and he mentions Shulk and Chrom. So thats Chorus Men and ????, Only one character left and it works perfectly with my theory (Since Wolf is cut according to it) and Ridley fits in very well, the only other characters to do so are DK characters, Wario characters and a single rep series.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Leaks really are irrelevant, and the event occuring is basically Japan's demo of SSB4. Nothing big for us.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Loving these sizes.

Have you guys heard the leak that Says Shulk will be revealed at an upcoming event (And Sakurai recently mentioned on the japanese Miiverse there would be an event on Sunday and I don't think he ever mentions anything unless a character reveal is coming), I think he said there are four newcomers left we don't know of yet and he mentions Shulk and Chrom. So thats Chorus Men and ????, Only one character left and it works perfectly with my theory (Since Wolf is cut according to it) and Ridley fits in very well, the only other characters to do so are DK characters, Wario characters and a single rep series.
As much as I want to be hyped for it, it would mostly be Sakurai trying to get people excited for nothing.

I am hoping I am wrong though.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's exciting for the Japanese fanbase. Not for us. Which is why it was mentioned on the Japanese miiverse, and not just "on Miiverse". We already had our demo at E3 and Smash Fest in the US.

EDIT: Also, newcomers only come in international announcements. Such as bimonthly international directs.

Last edited:

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Loving these sizes.

Do you have a link to where he said there are only four more newcomers, or is that just something you heard somewhere?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Seems like more fake leak shenanigans for everyone. Doesn't really entail Ridley. :Y

But seriously. It's Japan's demo. We're not going to get news out of it other than opinions on the same demo from Japanese players.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Wizardglory's Ridley is smaller, but the question was, would you be okay fighting a boss this big?
Only if defeating him will be as hard as defeating him on hard mode without sense move in Metroid Other M (if he won`t stop attacking, move really fast and have 2 grab/throw attacks that he uses a lot). Otherwise, NO WAY IN H...no.
Even if he would be THAT hard, i will still be angry because I WANTED TO BEAT SOMEONE AS RIDLEY AND NOT JUST WATCH AS RIDLEY`S AI DOES IT...that would be just wrong. Its like if in Godzilla fighting games, you would just control military vehicles and look at how monsters fight.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It's exciting for the Japanese fanbase. Not for us. Which is why it was mentioned on the Japanese miiverse, and not just "on Miiverse". We already had our demo at E3 and Smash Fest in the US.

EDIT: Also, newcomers only come in international announcements. Such as bimonthly international directs.
The roundtable was American only.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The roundtable was American only.
The roundtable wasn't a public demo like this is going to be. It was a private event which was tweeted about. And also, it was part of E3, which for all intents and purposes is the "June Direct".

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think there is a difference between Mother Brain and Dark Samus and why they took control.

The Space Pirates presumably found Mother Brain on Zebes and decided to use it because of its superior intellect to plan and organize the Zebes operation. it WAS a super-powerful supercomputer created by the Chozo, so no doubt they wanted to use it while they could. Dark Samus, on the other hand, more or less absorbed all of the pirates' phazon and bullied them into submission through phazon corruption.

But moral of the story is, pretty sure Mother Brain was seated as the leader because it was more intelligent by design and was able to control Metroids.

EDIT: Fact checking. Unsure if Mother Brain is able to explicitly control the actions of Ridley or Kraid or if it just hightens their aggression, but Space Pirates are definitely susceptible to Mother Brain mind controlling them. Which is presumably why they didn't take Mother Brain with them when they left Zebes, and also why they rebuilt Tourian when they returned.
Point is, both Mother Brain and Dark Samus are incredibly powerful beings (whether through sheer intellect or raw power), either on the same level or even more powerful than Ridley. As a result, this allowed them to take control of the Space Pirates. Ridley's submissiveness to both entities always kind of suggested to me that the job of leading the Space Pirates wasn't exactly one he relished. We don't exactly see him pulling any Starscream-style shenanigans whenever a new Metroid villain pops up.

The happiest Ridley has probably ever been was when the Space Pirates reassigned him as head of the security force.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Someone needs to make a poster for that.

"Dark Samus has gone to the restroom. Now I, Ridley, am leader of the Space Pirates!"

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Wow, 1010 pages guys. You are all really motivated for this character !
What happened during the last 80 pages ? New evidence ? (I missed them)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I was thinking Transformers crossovers. Dark Samus as Megatron, Ridley as Starscream...

Things got disturbing when I thought of Kraid as Soundwave.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yes... Pacman was definitely an international announcement -_-

I guess E3 is not an American Thing, but it is certainly more geared towards American audiences.
I can certainly see Sakurai wanting to make it an even ordeal with a Japanese reveal.
Or maybe that is just because I dont think the ones revealed were all too unexpected, nor enough.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I was thinking Transformers crossovers. Dark Samus as Megatron, Ridley as Starscream...

Things got disturbing when I thought of Kraid as Soundwave.
Nah, Dark Samus is more like Shockwave (he was the leader once...and he has an arm cannon too) for me and Ridley is more like...um...WfC Brawl? TFP Predaking?...anyway, he is at least loyal to his leader unlike Starscream...Then Kraid is Bruticus?...Maybe i forgot something...

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes... Pacman was definitely an international announcement -_-

I guess E3 is not an American Thing, but it is certainly more geared towards American audiences.
I can certainly see Sakurai wanting to make it an even ordeal with a Japanese reveal.
Or maybe that is just because I dont think the ones revealed were all too unexpected, nor enough.
Are all announcements not "international" as once the announcement is out; everyone, internationally, is provided with the information?

Just saying, Ridley's confirmation knows no bounds.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
So I was thinking what if for Palutena's reveal trailer there is more to it and after the dialogue of what we've seen in it it goes to Dark Pit who says "So you say you're better then an angel, but what about The Cunning God of Death?" Then she replies "I've never thought of of Hades as the Cunning type." to which he replies "I wasn't talking about him..." he then smirks as Ridley's shadow flies over them then it cuts to more introduction video. (granted it could be over or another character, just seems like there was gonna be more to it eventually imo)

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Wow, 1010 pages guys. You are all really motivated for this character !
What happened during the last 80 pages ? New evidence ? (I missed them)
E3.

Ridley jokes.

People upset about Ridley not being mentioned during E3.

Ridley's Pyosphere Shadow speculations.

Ridley drawings and fanart.

Pretty much everything.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I introduce you to:

WingedSnagley!
I'm somewhat disappointed that he doesn't have shades.

Uh, how are these?

Aaaaaaaaah the Roidley one is adorable. I'll definitely use these.~

The thought of Little Birdie leading minions of infant Space Pirates is... funneh and cute.

"Do as I say or I'll eat you alive! I may not look like I can right now, but I just had quite a feast on some Kihunters who thought otherwise."
I imagine him like Baby Bowser in M&L: Partners in Time. Complete with a Kamek-esque/nanny Mother Brain, but instead of magic, she just upgrades him to the next form (Hairdley, Roidley, Meta Ridley, etc.)

majora_787

Smash Hero
We have a size comparison on that? :troll:
As you can see in the center of the picture, that's where Ridley's "too big" is. If we can just compare his "too big" to the square root of a geemer's left nostril, then we should be able to multiply it by the number of Olimars it takes to screw in a lightbulb and get a rough estimate of how many Ridleys could fit in Phendrana drifts.

Going off my current formula, I'd say... zero. Because Ridley's too big. :troll:

EDIT: In other news I ran into many a face on Miiverse this evening who explicitly do not want Ridley to ever be playable. I guess this isn't a game about Nintendo all-stars or anything. They may as well go ahead with Silphiles the Tailsig Cat-badger or whatever. :rolleyes:

EDIT 2: To make it relevant to Samus being equivalent to that girl from Transformers Armada in this Transformers Metroid AU we have created, this is my reaction to them.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Actually...Could it be that Ridley's shadow reveal was Sakurai alluding to Metroid Prime? Or is that a stretch?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Actually...Could it be that Ridley's shadow reveal was Sakurai alluding to Metroid Prime? Or is that a stretch?
Odds are it was referring to exactly what it says on the tin. A "boss" character that appears on the Pyrosphere stage.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Odds are it was referring to exactly what it says on the tin. A "boss" character that appears on the Pyrosphere stage.
Eh, I'll just incorporate the idea as Sakurai wanting to squeeze in as many references as possible, just like using Pikachu as Ridley's target due to Brawl.

Oh man, I now really want Ridley to be the second-to-last newcomer to be revealed before launch, in order to preserve Ridley's place in the Metroid series...

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: In other news I ran into many a face on Miiverse this evening who explicitly do not want Ridley to ever be playable. I guess this isn't a game about Nintendo all-stars or anything. They may as well go ahead with Silphiles the Tailsig Cat-badger or whatever. :rolleyes:
They give any legitimate/good reasons, outta curiosity besides the he's to big and/or he'd look weird scaled down?

Edit: Granted they are entitled to their own opinions

Last edited:
Top Bottom