• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
They give any legitimate/good reasons, outta curiosity besides the he's to big and/or he'd look weird scaled down?
I'm stupidly confident in Ridley's chances, so I'll play Devil's advocate.
  • The Pyrosphere is friggin HUGE. The sheer size suggests a good place for a boss battleground.
  • Ridley flies for far too long in the shot.
And I'm out of reasons. Any more, anyone?

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
They give any legitimate/good reasons, outta curiosity besides the he's to big and/or he'd look weird scaled down?

Edit: Granted they are entitled to their own opinions
No. They didn't have any reasons. I didn't bug them about it because that was their business and had nothing to do with the conversation, which was OTHER people claiming "Ridley would never be playable now or ever" and me soliciting them for actual solid evidence.

SPOILER: They didn't have any.

EDIT: The large size of the Pyrosphere makes for a good battlefield for a LARGE boss. Not one who takes up a tenth of the stage. The bosses shown, Yellow Devil and Dark Emperor, take up significant floor space on their stages.

Second off, Ridley flies for about six seconds before jumping. There is no evidence that suggests it could not be part of a recovery move of some sort OR a hover option unique to his character. "Not having been done before" is not evidence against anything.

EDIT 3: Mother Brain is a pile of SOMETHING. I assume that's why it was kept in a jar.

Last edited:

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
  • The Pyrosphere is friggin HUGE. The sheer size suggests a good place for a boss battleground.
Because he's smelly and I hate him for all time! (that's a good one right?)

Edit 1: Well I'm off to watch that then. (I forgot to watch it earlier and in turn see what it's about)
Edit 2: I don't like their tone, lol

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Because he's smelly and I hate him for all time! (that's a good one right?)
It's a pretty common reason if nothing else. :awesome:

EDIT: By the way guys, dream come true. People have been using that Gamexplain video as direct ammunition to antagonize Ridley supporters all day today.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
  • Fighting small boss on a HUGE battleground is like trying to kill a fly in a large room (by smashing it with a book 5 times)
  • Pit could fly for longer than Ridley did and Ridley jumped after that.

Anything more? Well:
  • He doesn`t deserves as much as Shadow does!
  • He has no personality and is just yet another boss.
  • Metroid already has 2 playable characters representing this franchise - Samus and Samus and that is enough for it.
  • HE IS FRIGGIN` TOO BIG! But Bowser was FRIGGIN` GIGANTIC in Galaxy...still doesn`t counts because гладиолус.
  • Why do we need yet another Nintendo character?
  • He isn`t unique in any way. Bowser and Charizard already can do what he can, so, there is no need for 3rd character like them.
Yes, i used only those that idiots use because there is no more arguments or something like that.

Last edited:

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet
Hello, Ridley lovers! First time poster in this thread, and what feels like my first post on smashboards. I apparently made this account in 2006, made two posts that I can't find any record of or recall why I made them, and then haven't touched it since. However, that's not the point. I'm here for Ridley and all things Ridley. Dunno how much I'll actually be in this thread, but what better time than 2:30 am to introduce yourself?

As an added FYI, I am also fairly confident in Ridley's chances. Biased fanboy or not, I see a lot of evidence for him and not enough evidence against him to sway my stance.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Chance of him being a playable character is 87.59%. Chance of him being a boss is 12.4%. Chance of him being an assist trophy is 0.01%.

Welcome, PerfectChaos9, enjoy staying here because we won`t let you escape now...right?

...and for some reasons, i thought his/her rank is "Smash Cookie" instead of "Smash Rookie"...maybe im just hungry and want some cookies...
???

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Hello, Ridley lovers! First time poster in this thread, and what feels like my first post on smashboards. I apparently made this account in 2006, made two posts that I can't find any record of or recall why I made them, and then haven't touched it since. However, that's not the point. I'm here for Ridley and all things Ridley. Dunno how much I'll actually be in this thread, but what better time than 2:30 am to introduce yourself?

As an added FYI, I am also fairly confident in Ridley's chances. Biased fanboy or not, I see a lot of evidence for him and not enough evidence against him to sway my stance.
Welcome to the Splounge!

Try keeping on topic, don't doublepost, and don't drink the water. You're going to have a blast!

Iddis

Smash Apprentice

Welcome come in and hang at your leisure.

Welcome to the Splounge!

Try keeping on topic, don't doublepost, and don't drink the water. You're going to have a blast!
I was never told to not drink the water when I came here... am I going to die?

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
View attachment 17167
this?

Maybe he just saud Human because it was the things that he found to eat, but I guess he can regenerate by eating any kind of bioform.

Wizardglory's Ridley is smaller, but the question was, would you be okay fighting a boss this big?
At that size, Ridley would have to be moving so fast and attacking so quickly to make up for his small size, and if that is the case, Sakurai literally made him everything he needed to be to be playable, but didn't follow through.

Which is utter bull****

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Chance of him being a playable character is 87.59%. Chance of him being a boss is 12.4%. Chance of him being an assist trophy is 0.01%.

Welcome, PerfectChaos9, enjoy staying here because we won`t let you escape now...right?

...and for some reasons, i thought his/her rank is "Smash Cookie" instead of "Smash Rookie"...maybe im just hungry and want some cookies...
???
O___O I WANT COOKIES TOO! GIVE ME! -u- not Ridley shaped please, because if they are shaped like Ridley I would not eat them...too awesome to eat....

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I was never told to not drink the water when I came here... am I going to die?
Nah, you'll only get minor insanity. Incredibly ludicrous ideas like "Ridley's gender was never revealed in the game, he must be female!" or "Roidley and Ridley are one and the same, not two different entities!" and, most damning of all, "Ridley isn't too big, he can be resized!"

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Nah, you'll only get minor insanity. Incredibly ludicrous ideas like "Ridley's gender was never revealed in the game, he must be female!" or "Roidley and Ridley are one and the same, not two different entities!" and, most damning of all, "Ridley isn't too big, he can be resized!"
So, all of Ridley supporters must drink that water? Because otherwise, all of us would be sane, act like um...sirs...jentlemen...those guys with monocles and mustache and would not think that Ridley can be resized.
Wait...just any water or only specific kind of water? Because if just any water, then human consists of water too...so...there would be no detractors...hm...
O___O I WANT COOKIES TOO! GIVE ME! -u- not Ridley shaped please, because if they are shaped like Ridley I would not eat them...too awesome to eat....
Sorry, i don`t have any. I gave few someone and he still not paid for them, so, i must go and break his leg benders.

Last edited:

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Well then it's already happened and I think I rather enjoy this sort of madness

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet
I must have had this water when I was a kid. Seriously thought he was female when I was younger for reasons unknown :p

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Ridley always came off as a creature to me, as opposed to other characters like Bowser which come off as people.

So I could see it being a female creature. It doesn't really have any dimorphic characteristics or anything.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So, all of Ridley supporters must drink that water? Because otherwise, all of us would be sane, act like um...sirs...jentlemen...those guys with monocles and mustache and would not think that Ridley can be resized.
Wait...just any water or only specific kind of water? Because if just any water, then human consists of water too...so...there would be no detractors...hm...
This patented Pirate Lounge water that I'm too lazy to unhook from the water main of this thread!

There's electrolytes and toxic waste in it. It removes all concept of scale. Forever.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This patented Pirate Lounge water that I'm too lazy to unhook from the water main of this thread!

There's electrolytes and toxic waste in it. It removes all concept of scale. Forever.
I would like to put in an order of 365367996323008642138900652113567898532476460011PI76432222890 of those please, I want them in by tomorrow night.

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet

"LEADER OF THE SPACE PIRATES, RIDLEY, APPROVES THIS PRODUCT"
Is that enough for you?
Perfect, now all that needs to be done is to mass produce this stuff to fill the first order of 365367996323008642138900652113567898532476460011PI76432222890 bottles and this product might have a chance.

Or just slip this stuff into the major water lines running throughout every city. They'll never know.

I'm also curious about Ridley's potential losing animation. In my mind I just see him turning his back and folding his arms or something. 8-bit's idea is good, too. Sort of a 'I don't like this but I'll clap anyway' clap :p

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Perfect, now all that needs to be done is to mass produce this stuff to fill the first order of 365367996323008642138900652113567898532476460011PI76432222890 bottles and this product might have a chance.

Or just slip this stuff into the major water lines running throughout every city. They'll never know.
Yeah, Good luck with that ;)

And I still want them in by tomorrow, and if I wait any longer, I want them at half price

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The sad thing is if worst comes to shove, I can see detractors reasoning "Even with a reasonable size, he still isn't fitting as playable" for future games.
Implying we don't already get some of that reasoning from them?

"It's not Ridley's size that's the problem, but his proportions. No matter what size he'd be at his tail would still be far too long, wingspan would be too wide and cover up too much space, neck is too disjointed", etc.

Now where have I heard all that before?... Oh right.

ArgorokX

Smash Rookie
Ridley always came off as a creature to me, as opposed to other characters like Bowser which come off as people.

So I could see it being a female creature. It doesn't really have any dimorphic characteristics or anything.
In most games Bowser doesn't do much more than a monster would. He rarely talks in the platformers and usually just acts as a dragon boss that kidnaps the princess. Ridley is commander of the Space Pirates. In Zero Mission there is a cutscene showing Ridley sitting in the bridge of the Space Pirate mothership where he receives a distress signal from Zebes and has the ship return there. He also built a giant robot in his image as a testament to his superiority over his crew. He also personally steals the baby metroid in Super Metroid and brings it back to his lair, which is outfitted with a security monitor system. In Other M, despite being a clone, he seems to remember Samus and seeks to destroy her once he discovers that she is on the Bottle Ship. He sends monsters after her when he's still in his first stage, and upon molting he personally goes after her and only her while she is investigating the Exam Center.

Both Bowser and Ridley are shown to be people, but I'm not sure what that has to do with sex. Ridley is much more intelligent and ruthless than Bowser.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Those cookies would be too big. :troll:

Joking, joking.
Cookies that are TOO BIG? GIVE ME, GIVE ME, GIVE ME!!!

I'll have them with my 365367996323008642138900652113567898532476460011PI76432222890 bottles of Ridley Approved Pirate Lounge water.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I don't know if this has been stated before, but just something to think about

Ridley's various appearances in Smash bros

Super Smash Bros. (N64) : Planet Zebes cameo
Super Smash Bros. Melee: Appears in intro and as a trophy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Appears as SSE Boss twice (and as a trophy again)

His presence does seem to be getting more prominent as the series goes on, so like people are saying, just being a stage hazard doesn't make sense creating hype for

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

His presence does seem to be getting more prominent as the series goes on, so like people are saying, just being a stage hazard doesn't make sense creating hype for
I was about to ask if you meant to say doesn't instead of does.

HohnTTD

Smash Cadet
When it comes to Ridley, I have two moods. 90% of the time I feel like:

"Hell yeah he's obviously playable, I can't wait."

and the other 10% of the time I think:

"But what if stage hazard."

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

After he's playable in smash 4 I wonder how he'll be more important next time. What's more important than a playable character?

Top Bottom