• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rescue for PAL-smashers - Freeloader for Wii! *Bad news folks*

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
The Original Freeloader for GameCube was also 100% unofficial and it's never failed me once. And it let me play Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 a year ago and it still hasn't been released here, money well spent I say
Didn't Nintendo end up blocking it though?
Which means they might end up doing it for the wii.

This is incredibly tempting. It feels like Brawl is right in-front of me, and I could just take it. I'm seriously thinking about this. Even with the Freeloader on top, the copy of Brawl would come to £40, which is what Brawl on its own costs in the UK.
I'm a little bit skeptical about this though, I'm afraid Nintendo might run an update and screw us over, or I'm worried about this Dual-Layered disc update the brawl disc runs . If The Freeloader blocks all updates, would the Brawl disc still be able to play without the Dual-Disc update? =S

Raikage

Smash Apprentice
Didn't Nintendo end up blocking it though?
Which means they might end up doing it for the wii.

This is incredibly tempting. It feels like Brawl is right in-front of me, and I could just take it. I'm seriously thinking about this. Even with the Freeloader on top, the copy of Brawl would come to £40, which is what Brawl on its own costs in the UK.
I'm a little bit skeptical about this though, I'm afraid Nintendo might run an update and screw us over, or I'm worried about this Dual-Layered disc update the brawl disc runs . If The Freeloader blocks all updates, would the Brawl disc still be able to play without the Dual-Disc update? =S
Block it? How? It still worked for GNT4 and that was released right at the end of the GameCubes lifespan, so if it was blocked there were only a few games that didn't work with it and I don't have any of them.

That said it's entirely possible (And probable) that Nintendo will release a Wii Firmware update that will break the Wii Freeloader somehow. But if you absolutely, positively must play Brawl now, it's not a bad option until it actually gets released in Europe/Aus. Given Nintendo's track record it's possible that you'll be waiting 3-4 months for it.

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
Off topic but... if i have an American Wii and an American copy of Brawl, can i play that in a German TV?

I live in Germany yet, but i have my Wii back home, and when Brawl comes out in USA im asking my parents to ship it here for me, but can i play that with a German TV?

If not, is there any adaptor or nething like that?

Thx

Raikage

Smash Apprentice
Off topic but... if i have an American Wii and an American copy of Brawl, can i play that in a German TV?

I live in Germany yet, but i have my Wii back home, and when Brawl comes out in USA im asking my parents to ship it here for me, but can i play that with a German TV?

If not, is there any adaptor or nething like that?

Thx
Depends on how old the TV is. If it's newish, made in say the past 8 years it should be able to handle the NTSC signal just fine. If it's a relic 10+ years old then it might have problems.

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
I already have a volt convertor so theres no problem there, so what i should look for is the 60Hz thing?

So basically i need a TV that can run in 60Hz right?

Thx everyone for the quick help

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
I already have a volt convertor so theres no problem there, so what i should look for is the 60Hz thing?

So basically i need a TV that can run in 60Hz right?

Thx everyone for the quick help
You can easily check if you have a PAL GameCube or a Dreamcast, since most of their games give you the option of running in 60Hz mode, so you can test it. Other than that I'm not sure.

MrSilver

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, 60hz and NTSC are not the same thing. It's possible for a TV to support 60hz but not NTSC (which would result in the color be displayed incorrectly). However, Raikage was right that the majority of newer TV's these days support NTSC signals. If you know the make and model of your TV I suggest searching for it's documentation online to see what the supported signals are.

As for the risk of Wii updates breaking the Freeloader. I simply don't intend to update my Wii until the PAL Brawl is released. Once it's released over here I'll risk it and if it does stop my freeloader from working I'll just play the European version. For me the Freeloader is just a temporary solution so I can play Brawl until the European release.

ThunderHero

Smash Apprentice
Just ordered one, along with a US copy of Brawl. I can hold off updating until the UK version comes out - I just hope they don't sneak a Freeloader-breaking update into the Mario Kart Wii disc.
they can do that? >_>

Anyway I live in the US but I sent the link to all my UK/Aussy friends =D

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
Regarding people in the UK who ordered from the CodeJunkies site.

Has anybody had any word of a release date/shipping date/arrival date?

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
Now that I think about it, they wouldn't put a Freeloader-breaking update on the Mario Kart disc, since not every Wii owner is going to buy Mario Kart. In order to block ALL Wiis, they'd just release it as a normal update. So MK Wii is safe.

It doesn't matter to me anyway, since I'm doing the same thing as Mr Silver - just using Freeloader as a way to get Brawl a few months early. When PAL brawl comes out I'll probably never use it again.

Regarding people in the UK who ordered from the CodeJunkies site.

Has anybody had any word of a release date/shipping date/arrival date?
Apparently the release date is March 13th.

Does US Freeloader work on a european Wii or do i need a PAL Freeloader?
Any Freeloader works anywhere. I bought a US GC Freeloader and it worked fine on my PAL GameCube.

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
Where did you get that date from? I didn't see anything on the official site.
Neither did I, but a couple news sites have reported the date, as well as a couple of online stores. It seems odd that they don't have the date on the official site. CVG say March 13th, Digital Spy says it's out now, and Gameseek says March 7th.

So basically nobody really knows.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
Neither did I, but a couple news sites have reported the date, as well as a couple of online stores. It seems odd that they don't have the date on the official site. CVG say March 13th, Digital Spy says it's out now, and Gameseek says March 7th.

So basically nobody really knows.
Ugh. Figures. Well, whatever. We'll know, when it turns up, eh? I hope it does so before the game though. I'll go nuts knowing I have it but I can't play it!!

(Also; when I do finally get it I'll make sure to send you my Brawl code so we can duke it, eh? We can have one of the first, real online fights in the UK!)

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
I hope this is gonna work or they're both still in stock because I want to play ASAP.

I'm gonna order both soon, but when we get it if we can't play online with anyone but just with friends I need some european friends to play with ( I live in the UK ) once I get it anyone want to share friend codes and play a few friendlys?

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
Ok guys. I don't mean to advertise on the forums, but if you like, you can make a note of/join my forums (in my sig) and post your brawl code there when you have it...? Just a suggestion, so for breaching rules.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
14th/7th may be when it's released in retail. If it wasn't available to be shipped right away, why would it be on the site?

There isn't enough info there though. That much is certain. I could be playing Brawl by the end of this week, or it might be March 14th +. I'm pissed off about that.

greeneggsnsam

Smash Apprentice
We can have one of the first, real online fits in the UK!
Haha, too late. Two of my friends have already done so! Plus, I'm receiving my import on Tuesday, so I'll be playing against them then as well. Hooray for imports! Boo for PAL!

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
Haha, too late. Two of my friends have already done so! Plus, I'm receiving my import on Tuesday, so I'll be playing against them then as well. Hooray for imports! Boo for PAL!
*rolls eyes*

Japanese I'm guessing though.

(Also; I just realised I made the BEST typo in history (fights as "fits"))

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
You got freeloader or someting else?

greeneggsnsam

Smash Apprentice
*rolls eyes*

Japanese I'm guessing though.

(Also; I just realised I made the BEST typo in history (fights as "fits"))
Haha!! I didn't even notice that!

Yeah, Japanese. The voices of Fox, Falco, Pit etc are way less annoying than the US versions!

Kensei, they're modded.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I have bad experiences with Codejunkies. In my opinion they've always been pretty unorganised. I've ordered a Freeloader from Ebay. Next day delivery.

I'm torn on where to buy Brawl from though, Gamestop has a 3-4 days delivery for international orders, but preorders could extend the delivery time, most Ebay-ers have a delivery time of 6-10 days.
I really don't know what to go for =S

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
If the Wi-Fi works, once the first copies of Brawl start arriving in the UK we should make a 'UK Import Friend Codes' thread. Although remember that your Friend Code will change if, like me, you plan to buy the PAL version later in the year.

greeneggsnsam

Smash Apprentice
I'm torn on where to buy Brawl from though, Gamestop has a 3-4 days delivery for international orders, but preorders could extend the delivery time, most Ebay-ers have a delivery time of 6-10 days.
I really don't know what to go for =S
Are the prices the same? I'd just go with the cheaper one if I was you. If it's the same, then email GameStop and ask how likely a delay is.

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
Soluble Toast, GameSop started processing Brawl orders a few days ago, so they can be sure of getting them all sent out before March 9th. So the level of pre-orders doesn't matter, since they're packing them early to cope with it.

I've emailed CodeJunkies asking for mroe information about Freeloader (e.g. release date, online).

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Thanks guys. =]

So I can pretty much be sure that my order would be sent out March 10th?

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
I actually live down the road from the Code Junkies UK Factory.

Should I mosey down and try to get some answers?

I got some time before college tomorrow. ;D

greeneggsnsam

Smash Apprentice
I actually live down the road from the Code Junkies UK Factory.

Should I mosey down and try to get some answers?

I got some time before college tomorrow. ;D
Haha, nice. The only decent company near me in the Krispy Kreme UK HQ. See what they say about Nintendo's updates blocking it in the future.

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
Thanks guys. =]

So I can pretty much be sure that my order would be sent out March 10th?
I would say so. They might give priority to US orders, but since they're processing 10 days early I would imagine you'd get it by the 15th at the latest. 17th if the postal service has a bad day.

Meh, I can wait a couple extra days if they overrun, I've got 8 GameCube games that I need to complete between now and Brawl. :)

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Ah, thanks for the advice =]
Should hopefully be playing it within the next 2 weeks then. Excellent.

Galeon

Smash Ace
so glad to hear about this, so many games I'll finally be able to play without having to pay 110 to mod my wii.

Top Bottom