• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rescue for PAL-smashers - Freeloader for Wii! *Bad news folks*

Andromeda

Smash Lord
WARNING!!!!
UPDATING YOUR WII FIRMWARE WILL NOW PERMANENTLY KILL YOUR FREELOADER

http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/Wii-FreeLoader__EF000593.aspx

Yes! Finally, a Freeloader for Wii has come! It will let us poor no-Brawl-releasedate-yet-Europeans to import the NTSC version of Brawl without any need for chip or import of a US Wii. It will also let you Americans import the PAL or Japanese-version of Mario Kart Wii (which will have it's release in Europe before America) if you want to.

For Europeans: http://uk.codejunkies.com/Products/Wii-FreeLoader__EF000595.aspx

User Guide - How to make Brawl work with your Freeloader

To make your Brawl work with your Freeloader, you'll have to make the Freeloader run in your Wii twice before you try to launch Brawl. Put in your Freeloader. Lines should appear briefly on the screen. Eject the Freeloader-disc and repeat the process once before inserting the Brawl-disc. You must let the update on the Brawl-disc run before you even will be able to play it. The update should pass without any missfortunes, and then you have to put in your Freeloader in your Wii again, but only once. Then, you'll swap to Brawl, and will be able to launch it, just like any other Wii-game.

FREELOADER - For Nintendo Wii​

For use with euro consoles

Introduction

Freeloader for Wii uses proprietary technology to enable your console to play import games from other regions. Using freeloader for Wii you can now, for example, easily play japanese or U.S. games on any European console.

We recommend you always buy a game designed for your own region wherever possible due to language differences and extra features ect. However there will be occasions when you simply can't obtain a game, or are not prepared to wait many months for a foriegn title to be released in your region :chuckle:. In these cases, Freeloader for Wii is your passport to playing games from any country on your console.

If your one of the many gamers that bought an imported console and you now want to play games from your own country, then Freeloader for Wii is also ideal for this task.
Whichever way you use Freeloader for Wii, no modifications to your console are needed and your console's warranty is kept intact.

Now read on to find out how to get the most out of your Freeloader for Wii.

Getting Started

Follow the simple instructions below to start up Freeloader for Wii.

If the game that you wish to play is from an NTSC region then you may need to first set the display settings to 60Hz. For best results. This setting is found in the Tools Menu on your console.

Insert the Freeloader for Wii disk and it will automatically load and run.

Multiple colour bars on the screen will indicate that Freeloader for Wii is in operation.
The colour bars will appear twice then the drive will stop.

Eject the Freeloader disk and now insert the game disk that you want to play. The game will play as normal.

Game Upgrades

Most game disks have an upgrade program which is loaded before the game application itself.

The purpose of the upgrade program is to update your console, where necessary, with new firmware modules.

When loading a game from another region on your console this upgrade program may have unpredictable results if loaded.

Freeloader for Wii will prevent this upgrade program from being loaded and will only load the main game application.

A number of games will not function unless the upgrade program has been first loaded and so Freeloader has an alternate, selective load method for these games.

Alternative method

Insert the Freeloader for Wii disk and it will automatically load and run.

Multiple colour bars on the screen will indicate that Freeloader for Wii is in operation.
The colour bars will appear twice then the drive will stop.

Eject the Freeloader disk and then RE-INSERT the Freeloader disk once more.

The multiple colour bars will appear twice more and the drive will again stop.

Once again eject the Freeloader disk and now insert the game disk that you want to play.
The game will play as normal and this time the upgrade program will be selectively loaded.

Please be aware that allowing the upgrade program to run may, in a number of cases, still cause unwanted effects.

It is advisable to check through the FAQs at www.codejunkies.com BEFORE you load any game that requires an update program!

Since any game updates can create unwanted results or even incompatibility with the Freeloader, it is recommended that all new games, even ones from your own region, are loaded via Freeloader's alternative selective upgrade method.

CAUTION - Online Upgrades

Freeloader for Wii works with all current versions of the Wii firmware at the time of its release.

No guarantee can be given of compatibility with future firmware releases so if Online Updates are performed on your console this may prevent Freeloader from functioning correctly.

We recommend that you consider the benefits of any Online Upgrade against the possible loss of compatibility with Freeloader and its functions.

F.A.Q. (still growing, slowly)

Q: Why does my screen turn black when I try to launch Brawl?
A: You'll have to let the update that's on the Brawl-disc run in your Wii before you can launch Brawl, even if the Freeloader is designed to block those.

Q: Do I have to update the firmware on my Wii to 3.2E to be able to play Brawl?
A: No you don't. Brawl will run with both 3.1E and 3.2E.

Q: Do you have to swap the Freeloader every time?
A: You'll only have to do the double-swapping the first time, then you'll only have to swap once.

Q: Brawl is working, but it's all white and black! Why?
A: Not all TV:s can run NTSC 60Htz. If your Wii is set to 50Htz, you'll have to switch to 60Htz. Make sure your TV can handle it too.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Surely this is to good to be true

(waits for people with techno knoledge to dismiss said item)

This literally solves all my money problems if this is true.

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
This is great. It means that we can play online with our pals in Europe.

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Wow, awesome.

Soon as somebody can confirm this working, I'm so picking that up!

Using that on a PAL Wii and playing a US Brawl should still work on Wi-Fi and stuff I assume, so as long as they don't update it or something to make it not work with that.. daaaamn awesome. Hell it beats having to wait months! Only £9 too, I make that in like 2 hours!

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
Just ordered one, along with a US copy of Brawl. I can hold off updating until the UK version comes out - I just hope they don't sneak a Freeloader-breaking update into the Mario Kart Wii disc.

AerionTOFAST4U

Smash Apprentice
...hmmm......

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JA !! YAA!!!!!! YEAH THAT'S RIGHT BABY YEEEEAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d :):) YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I've ordered one.

The blazing cynic in me got overiden by my 10 year old excited self.

If this works not only do i not need to mod my wii (fiddly and expensive)I don't even need to buy a NTSC brawl (pointless and even more expensive)

*orders NSTC brawl*

Lant

Smash Journeyman
GameStop - for some reason Amazon won't ship Brawl internationally. Cost $65 including shipping (about £35, so standard price for a British game).
Cheers! Will you post a thread somewhere or reply in here when you get your copy in a few weeks?

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
Thats very good news, but does the online work properly? and would other people be playing online.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I'll wait a few days before I'm ordering this. I'm a bit suspicious, so I'll wait for someone that gets it to point out all of its flaws.
I think that's a good idea. I think I'll wait too. It's always good to know the backside of it, and for now, I can't get my parents to pay with creditcard.

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Well, once you add up the costs of delivery, it still works out fairly cheap by UK standards, so it seems like a good deal (assuming it does actually work)

It would seem prudent to wait until the game's actually out and people have tested this to see if it works, it would be great for us to play with our pals across the big pond sometime this century.

On a side note for anyone interested, assuming you live in Great Britain, the price from Gamestop works out at: $65.98 / £33.12 that's including delivery. I know some credit cards charge for exchanging, so that'd be an extra cost.

Assuming you pick it up from Play-Asia (which would probably be my preference as you can choose the shipping type, along with order tracking) It works out at £42.32. (UPS) or
£31.20 (Economy) Your choice really. I don't really imagine it'd make much of a difference, just that you can track where your order is, and the box looks some kind of armored fortress.

As for the Freeloader itself, it's around £15 including delivery to the UK.

So at cheapest it's around £48. Considering the game is about £40 in UK retail stores, that seems like a fairly good deal to me.

Phew. Now just to wait and see if it works.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I ordered my Brawl off of Ebay.

Of course wherever you get it from will probably send them out on the 9th.

Man, this freeloader thing (if it's work, the cynic in me rears it's head) has really got me pumped for this game.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Yep, I just discovered this myself... what INCREDIBLE timing! :D I was in the process of ACTUALLY BUYING A JAPANESE Wii, and this is just released... We've ordered one, and we're also going to get a copy of US Brawl when that comes out. The Freeloader is so cheap too ^^

Obviously CodeJunkies managed to sidestep the update thing.

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
GameStop says international shipping should take 3-5 days, so I should have it by the next weekend (15th-16th). As for the Freeloader - not sure when I'll get that, I didn't see a delivery rate.

When I get it, I'll post here if anything doesn't work. I'm curious to see how Freeloader bypasses the Wii Menu interface (e.g. the 'Today's Games Played' message).

Lant

Smash Journeyman
GameStop says international shipping should take 3-5 days, so I should have it by the next weekend (15th-16th). As for the Freeloader - not sure when I'll get that, I didn't see a delivery rate.

When I get it, I'll post here if anything doesn't work. I'm curious to see how Freeloader bypasses the Wii Menu interface (e.g. the 'Today's Games Played' message).
By utilising the powers of grayskull!

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
OK.

Apparently someone on gamefaqs sent a message to nintendo, asking them if the US version of brawl came with a mandatory update, they said it did.

Now, this confirms NOTHING about the freeloader, if the freeloader has just been released and brawl is already shipped out to stores(anyone confirm this? I would think that the game is done in terms of programming) then you'd naturally assume that the only way that nintendo could bypass the freeloader is with an optional online update.

However, For anyone with the now how. Did the japanese version of brawl come with a mandatory system update? Because if it doesn't while the US version does, it might be simpler, quicker and cheaper to pick up a japanese copy until the UK release.

Thanks.

And for those that don't know, German games are heavily censored. Goldeneye 64 wasn't released over there and unreal tournament has green blood. Weird.

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
I'm still interested in what will happen to system updates from games like Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy or the ultimate, friggin best uber game ever made [you know what I mean].
Therefore I think, that the Freeloader works, but system updates will still be executed. In some cases it might brick your Wii, so you would have to unbrick the DVD, which again will need a modchip to play the unbricked game.

Will this thread be closed, now that I talked about brickblocking and modchips? :rotfl:

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
This looks sweet, I would definitely pick one up if I lived outside of the states. I'm looking forward to Mario Kart but with smash I really don't care if I have to wait a month or two extra.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
This also means Europeans can get the new Tales of Symphonia, also, someone from N-Europe apparantly said this:

I ordered the GameCube Freeloader from Codejunkies recently, as I have several decent US GC games that I still play (Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime etc) on the assurance that it 'Works with Wii!'

I bought it and it worked fine. I was happy... until Nintendo updated the system to disallow it. Bugger. I emailed Codejunkies to tell them about this, as they were still proclaiming 'works with Wii'.

They emailed me back and told me they'd now updated the Freeloader, so now THEY had overridden the update! They asked me to send back my current Freeloader, and for free they sent me the new version which still works perfectly!

Sort version - if Nintendo updates to get rid of it, Codejunkies will update their discs themselves and they'll send you one for the price of postage. They're great, guys!
;)

Top Bottom