• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rescue for PAL-smashers - Freeloader for Wii! *Bad news folks*

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
"100% unofficial." Quote strait form that page
Unofficial controllers are 100% unofficial aren't they?

They still work.

Just try to avoid updating your wii. Besides, Datel can't afford for this thing to fail. No gaming company should ever incite the wrath of the Europeans.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
*is about to order*

Edit: All ordered. The Freeloader comes to £15 with P&P and also ordered the game from GameStop. All in all it was £47, which isn't bad AT ALL. No idea when I'm gonna be seeing the game. The site claimed "3-5 business days" but the demand is probably huge... so, yeah. I don't mind waiting a (surely horrible) week or two as long as it works and I'm not waiting til Autumn.

A bit worried about the Wii updates though. I'll probably ask around every time a new update appears to see if it disables the Freeloader. If one does so, I'll ask Codejunkies UK what I can do. 'Cos I like my updates. And I want WiiWare.

But still, even if I can't update... Brawl > Updates.

Hell, Brawl > All.

I am SO STOKED right now. When I get it all, I'll post videos to prove it works :)

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Looking good so far. I forget though, are the Wii updates mandatory, as in, do you HAVE to update? I honestly can't remember as I've not played my Wii since I got it back when it first came out heh. I know you have to do 'em on the 360 though!

Still, if you don't have to update or whatever, I'd just not do it, I'm not bothered about Wiiware or new channels or anything, only got my Wii for Brawl.

Well, good luck to those who've ordered it, I'll be doing the same soon! Yay for Eurobrawling.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
Looking good so far. I forget though, are the Wii updates mandatory, as in, do you HAVE to update? I honestly can't remember as I've not played my Wii since I got it back when it first came out heh. I know you have to do 'em on the 360 though!

Still, if you don't have to update or whatever, I'd just not do it, I'm not bothered about Wiiware or new channels or anything, only got my Wii for Brawl.

Well, good luck to those who've ordered it, I'll be doing the same soon! Yay for Eurobrawling.
Wii updates are not mandatory, no.

And yes, Yay for Eurobrawling! PM me when you get the game, and we'll switch Brawl codes! ^_^

MrSilver

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ordered and payed for. Good thing too since I was already looking at buying an NTSC Wii if those horrible autumn release date rumors turned out to be true. This is certainly a more economical solution.

yampeku

Smash Rookie
All around the world people is enjoying brawl and europeans remain last as ever...
We don't even have a release date!

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
I never imported anything so can anybody explain how I should pay and everything and if this isn't going to cause any problems for the wii. Yeah, I'm a thirtheen year old kid.
You'll need your Mum or Dad or Sibling or SOMEONE to buy it with a credit card. It's the same as buying anything online. However, somtimes there may be VAT added on (sometimes up to $100) but the risk of this is low.

As for problems for Wii; no. However, updating your Wii in the future may cause the freeloader to stop working (although Wii updates aren't mandatory, you CAN live without them. For Brawl anyhow.). Apparentely, though, Codejunkies (who make the Freeloader) will take back your disc for an update/replacement to overcome Nintendo trying to block them.

If you're still unsure, you might want to wait until a few of us (namely me, Lant and DVD_Smith) have our copies and whatnot and then we can say for sure if what works.

Good luck to everyone taking this option! Hopefully the wait is over!

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
lol this is great news =].

Ill be waiting for news from you, hope you can do it soon and post a big-*** thread about it
If this works I'll be ordering faster than light.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
lol this is great news =].

Ill be waiting for news from you, hope you can do it soon and post a big-*** thread about it
If this works I'll be ordering faster than light.
When I get it, I'll dig this thread out from my post list for you guys. Trust me, I'm as excited as you! Especially since I'm gonna be one of the people delivering the news for once! Glad to help out the community! :laugh:

leeray666

Smash Cadet
Some one keep this thread alive. I've ordered the freeloader. But I am a bit unsure whether to get Brawl yet or not as the system update may cause some problems. If it all goes fine for you people please let me know, and I shall order Brawl. I would much rather do that then wait till a possible autumn release.

Dark Google

Smash Cadet
Anyone tested this? Like, at all? I'm a little hesitant to spend all my money on this and Brawl when there's 0 evidence of it working.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
The only possible negative that could come from this is if brawls update blocks the freeloader. But considering that the freeloader has just been released and that brawl is in some shops (albiet not sellable) then the odds of that happening are slim (but not impossible.)

From what I've gathered i assume that US Brawl loads an update on it's first startup. Does the Japanese version do this? If it doesn't then the japanese brawl is a much safer option if you want to play brawl before the EU release.

Anyone know about japanese updates?

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
...There going to be like 10 updates to make sure this never happens again
But if those updates arrive via the internet then they're optional.

It even warns people with illegal software in there wii that an update could break it. If brawl gets past the first mandatory disc update then it's plain sailing after that.

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully, taking into account that Brawl is already being shipped and such, the Freeloader has taken this all into account. Well, the Codejunky people.

All we can really do is wait and see!

Woop, 100th post.

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
Cant wait to see if this will work. Typical thing to happen though, would be for me to find out it works, order me mah brawl but then they dont have any left and i cry while all you play brawl without inviting me to your lil UK houses/sheds.

Chris
PS - nice wooping there Lant

YinYang.ERROR

Smash Journeyman
I take it its not able to play burned games though?
more than likely it will, however that is considered illegal.

the reason burned games do not work on the Wii is because the do not have a region code, since the Freeloader takes away/Tricks the Wii into believing the game inserted has the required region code it is a major possibility that you will be able to play backed up games. (I do not recommend or condone it though.)

Mysteryfox1

Smash Ace
The Netherlands, Noord-Brabant, Aarle Rixtel
You'll need your Mum or Dad or Sibling or SOMEONE to buy it with a credit card. It's the same as buying anything online. However, somtimes there may be VAT added on (sometimes up to $100) but the risk of this is low.

As for problems for Wii; no. However, updating your Wii in the future may cause the freeloader to stop working (although Wii updates aren't mandatory, you CAN live without them. For Brawl anyhow.). Apparentely, though, Codejunkies (who make the Freeloader) will take back your disc for an update/replacement to overcome Nintendo trying to block them.

If you're still unsure, you might want to wait until a few of us (namely me, Lant and DVD_Smith) have our copies and whatnot and then we can say for sure if what works.

Good luck to everyone taking this option! Hopefully the wait is over!
Thanks for the information I asked my parents about it and guess what they don't even have a credit card (facepalm) so is there any other way to buy it online without a credit card? and thanks again for what you're going to do and the information

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Thanks for the information I asked my parents about it and guess what they don't even have a credit card (facepalm) so is there any other way to buy it online without a credit card? and thanks again for what you're going to do and the information
They don't have creditcards? So when they get paid for their jobs, do they get the cash in their hands or what? They must have creditcards. They must lie to you.

susu_atari

Smash Ace
Nintendo are just going to release an update that renders it useless, like they did with Gamecube Freeloaded compatibility.

Heavenly Spoon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeavenlySpoon
I'm so glad I didn't confirm my Wiikey order yet.

Anyhow, if you live in Europe, get a US brawl, stay away from online updates and check before you buy a game to see if it disables the disc or not, I guess this is the safest way to go. If brawl is the only game you ever plan on importing (it's enough to keep you occupied anyways ;P), you can just keep this up until the EU-release.

I really want someone to try this out on a Japanese brawl, but I guess it's too soon to ask, and with Brawl coming out so soon, I guess I'm just going to buy it and see what happens. I might as well still get a mod-chip if it doesn't work. Yeah, well, you got to waste your money on something, and who needs food anyways? :p

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
If anyone has actually recived and it works can you pm me to confirm it cos my friend still does not believe it thx. (yes he is a ******)

Fox Illusion

Smash Cadet
...There going to be like 10 updates to make sure this never happens again
I emailed Codejunkies and asked if the firmware updates on Wii games that are unavoidable will brick the Wii. This is their reply:

"Further to your email on every occasion that the product is used when the disc is inserted in the console that it allows the usage of an imported Wii game disc and disables the console from been able to update its firmware, if the disc is removed after been inserted and reinserted this will again enable the console to update its firmware but still allow the usage of the imported Wii game disc. We can not advice you on the name of any retailers which may sell the product in New Zealand but New Zealand should be selectable as a shipping location on our EUR website in the very near future once we have renegotiated shipping charges with our couriers.

Regards

Daniel Leese

Technical Support"

So once you put in the freeloader, it blocks updates from the disc you put in afterwards. :)
Now, does anyone know somewhere that sells the Wii Freelodaer and ships to Australia/New Zealand...?

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
if nintendo disble it with an update, and you've already updated, you got no choice but to format the wii's memory. This is where SD cards come in handy to keep anything you dont want to get rid of.

Thats what I'll be doing

_Slick_

Smash Ace
I emailed Codejunkies and asked if the firmware updates on Wii games that are unavoidable will brick the Wii. This is their reply:

"Further to your email on every occasion that the product is used when the disc is inserted in the console that it allows the usage of an imported Wii game disc and disables the console from been able to update its firmware, if the disc is removed after been inserted and reinserted this will again enable the console to update its firmware but still allow the usage of the imported Wii game disc. We can not advice you on the name of any retailers which may sell the product in New Zealand but New Zealand should be selectable as a shipping location on our EUR website in the very near future once we have renegotiated shipping charges with our couriers.

Regards

Daniel Leese

Technical Support"

So once you put in the freeloader, it blocks updates from the disc you put in afterwards. :)
Now, does anyone know somewhere that sells the Wii Freelodaer and ships to Australia/New Zealand...?
The Wii freeloader can be ordered off the Internet anyway, so I don't see the problem.

And as for that letter, it gives me GREAT confidence, but I still be waiting until someone tests it out before I order anything.

I advise anyone else in doubt to do the same.

EDIT: This thread must be kept alive.

Eagle

Smash Lord

Regards

Daniel Leese

Technical Support"

OMG. Codejunkies don't ship to Australia!!! THAT'S BULLCRAP.

Top Bottom