• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rescue for PAL-smashers - Freeloader for Wii! *Bad news folks*

_Slick_

Smash Ace
Off-Topic: Ah! Thank you.

Anyway, just order it off the Internet! If you don't have a credit card, get a parent or older sibling or someone to order it. Then just pay them...

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
The Wii freeloader can be ordered off the Internet anyway, so I don't see the problem.
And as for that letter, it gives me GREAT confidence, but I still be waiting until someone tests it out before I order anything.

I advise anyone else in doubt to do the same.

EDIT: This thread must be kept alive.
Yeah, but in the drop-down box that you use to select shipping location, neither Australia or New Zealand are on the list.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I've bought the FreeLoader, it should be here somepoint next week.

Now, can anyone recommend where I get my copy of Brawl from? Play Asia? eBay? Shall I wait for the American version?

Fox Illusion

Smash Cadet
OMG. Codejunkies don't ship to Australia!!! THAT'S BULLCRAP.
http://www.ozmodchips.com/

This place ships to AUS with free shipping. I think that the Freeloader is gong to cost around $AU30, but not too sure. (It's not in stock yet, I think they're getting them in about a week)

But shipping to NZ costs $12-$14 >: ( I might order off here: http://www.divineo.co.uk/cgi-bin/div-uk/wii-dfr.html

Also, to all the people worrying about updates screwing it up, the only updates you are forced to accept are the ones on game discs. And the Freeloader blocks these updates.

Now to order Smash Bros....hope the Freeloader is available to ship soon...

Fox Illusion

Smash Cadet
Okay, I've bought the FreeLoader, it should be here somepoint next week.

Now, can anyone recommend where I get my copy of Brawl from? Play Asia? eBay? Shall I wait for the American version?
Sorry for double post, I'm probably ordering off play-asia. And I was going to order the American version but the voice acting on the JPN version seems way better lol :laugh:

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Well, thanks to OzModChips, we'll be playing Brawl very soon (in the scope of things, compared to the official PAL release.). Very good news, i'm very pleased :)

Netto-kun

Smash Rookie
So once you put in the freeloader, it blocks updates from the disc you put in afterwards. :)
A friend of mine have told me the Brawl disc will perform an update so the Wii can read dual-layer discs (since Brawl is dual-layer)? So how is that going to work if the Freeloader blocks update from the game disc? o.0

Lant

Smash Journeyman
I emailed Codejunkies and asked if the firmware updates on Wii games that are unavoidable will brick the Wii. This is their reply:

"Further to your email on every occasion that the product is used when the disc is inserted in the console that it allows the usage of an imported Wii game disc and disables the console from been able to update its firmware, if the disc is removed after been inserted and reinserted this will again enable the console to update its firmware but still allow the usage of the imported Wii game disc. We can not advice you on the name of any retailers which may sell the product in New Zealand but New Zealand should be selectable as a shipping location on our EUR website in the very near future once we have renegotiated shipping charges with our couriers.

Regards

Daniel Leese

Technical Support"

So once you put in the freeloader, it blocks updates from the disc you put in afterwards. :)
Now, does anyone know somewhere that sells the Wii Freelodaer and ships to Australia/New Zealand...?

Good to hear, I might send 'em an e-mail regarding Brawl specifically, just to see what sort of answer I get. Yet that's a good start, there's no reason why it shouldn't work now!

As for the dual layer thing.. I was under the impression the Wii could already read them, maybe I'm mistaken though. Lemme go look at some stuff.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
A friend of mine have told me the Brawl disc will perform an update so the Wii can read dual-layer discs (since Brawl is dual-layer)? So how is that going to work if the Freeloader blocks update from the game disc? o.0
Dont mean to sound rude, but i find it funny how it's always 'a friend of mine' that comes up with this stuff.

Fawriel

Smash Master
This sounds good, but I think I'll have to wait to see just how horrible the PAL release date turns out to be...
I'm a pretty poor person - in fact, I shouldn't be buying a Wii and Brawl in the first place - so I don't want to run the risk of buying something that'll turn out to be useless in the end...

I'll my keep my eye out on any updates concerning the usefulness of this thing.

Lant

Smash Journeyman
That update-blocking thing sounds great. Let's just hope it works.
Only a few days to go until we find out.

It'd be ironic if Nintendo announces a release date soon as US Brawl is out, and some of us hav already bothered importing it. Oh well, probably won't be until Summer at this rate anyway :/

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Only a few days to go until we find out.

It'd be ironic if Nintendo announces a release date soon as US Brawl is out, and some of us hav already bothered importing it. Oh well, probably won't be until Summer at this rate anyway :/
OR Fall in the worst case. Or EVEN worse, never at all! NoE sucks.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to have to wait and hear some first hand experience from others before I decide to buy it.

Seeing as I'm lazy: Will online play still be functional?

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to have to wait and hear some first hand experience from others before I decide to buy it.

Seeing as I'm lazy: Will online play still be functional?
No one knows. Hopefully it will be, since I think people who play Japanese Brawl on modded Wiis have said that it works, so I don't see why Freeloader would be any different. I'm sure Datel took this into account when they designed Freeloader though, since there are a lot of online games available now.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Anyone hear wanna share how long there brawl is going to take. Mine off ebay said 7 to 10 days (though the game including postage only came to £32) Anyone else got a shorter time told to them?

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
Anyone hear wanna share how long there brawl is going to take. Mine off ebay said 7 to 10 days (though the game including postage only came to £32) Anyone else got a shorter time told to them?
GameStop says 3-5 business days for international delivery, but they have a LOT of pre-orders so it may be longer than that. I also paid aroud £32-£33 inc P&P.

It'll be quite ironic if Brawl arrives before my Freeloader, which is coming from the UK but is released 4 days later. Hopefully I'll get them both on the same day.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
It'll be quite ironic if Brawl arrives before my Freeloader, which is coming from the UK but is released 4 days later. Hopefully I'll get them both on the same day.
QFT. From the 13th I might just set up a tent next to my letterbox.

Anyone else get a similair time/cost?

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Blocking updates could be annoying, especially if they're updates you would want, such an an improvement to WiFi lag in said game etc. :(

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Blocking updates could be annoying, especially if they're updates you would want, such an an improvement to WiFi lag in said game etc. :(
In all honesty, if people in the UK go onto wifi american brawlers are gonna be laggy anyway.

I've never seen an account of a UK to US wifi match, I naturally assume it would suck with or without an update.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Well, if the PAL-version appears to have a releasedate quite close to the NTSC, I think I could stick to Brawl without Wi-Fi in the meantime.

Dark Google

Smash Cadet
"Do *NOT* order Freeloader from Codejunkies. Seriously. When I tried to order it, the website decided that I had ordered NINE of the stupid things, took the money, and then said that it couldn't find the card, so I couldn't even cancel the order. So I've had a fun evening on the phone to the bank. So in short, Codejunkies stole £135 from me. Rar."

My friend just told me this. Anything like this happen to you guys? Should I risk it and order Freeloader?

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
"Do *NOT* order Freeloader from Codejunkies. Seriously. When I tried to order it, the website decided that I had ordered NINE of the stupid things, took the money, and then said that it couldn't find the card, so I couldn't even cancel the order. So I've had a fun evening on the phone to the bank. So in short, Codejunkies stole £135 from me. Rar."

My friend just told me this. Anything like this happen to you guys? Should I risk it and order Freeloader?
I had a similar problem, only with a subscription service on my phone, and it is the most annoying thing ever when they just take the money away from you for no valid reason and you can't do anything about it. It effects you emotionally as well as materially.

I say you don't order from CodeJunkies after hearing from your friend, whom I am sorry for.

UMR | donmk

RIP PM

Thats why i oredered mine of a safe source like ebay :laugh:

Seriously, heres hoping i get it delivered.

_Slick_

Smash Ace
Figured out what I'm doing.

1. Wait for someone to test this out.
2. Wait a little bit for any news of PAL Brawl release date.
3. If 1. is successful, and the PAL release date is Autumn/Winter (Southern Hemisphere)...buy!

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
Gettin mine from Ebay and the delivery service and time to UK is; 'Other 24 Hour Courier' :)

also ordered a freeloader from Ebay, here is the delivery info: 'Items are shipped daily. Most UK orders arrive within 24-48 hours of order being placed.'

I feel like the only lucky PAL player... I also feel like i need to do something to protect the order... It only cost £16 for the freeloader and £30 for Brawl! Thats only around $96 I think!

Im happy :) I hope i can play online using the NTSC Brawl in UK on a PAL Wii. Does anyone know if i will or not? I guess i could wait til the PAL version comes out to battle online.

Chris

Fox Illusion

Smash Cadet
I just ordered a Freeloader from ebay and Smash Bros. from play-asia.
The freeloader ships sometime this week and from past experience items from play-asia usually take around 6 days.

Can't wait!! XD

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
When someone gets this, they better post about it, letting us know if it works, how easy it is, etc.
Videos would probably give people more confidence bout it too.
I know if i get it before anyone does this stuff, i will be on, explaining every step and i WILL post a video :)

Fox Illusion

Smash Cadet
If I did get it first (not gonna happen, I live in New Zealand) I'd post it but someone will already have done it.

Lol@us if Brawl/Freeloader doesn't work...
Nah but seriously, I'm pretty confident it will work.

Flatfeet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flatfeet
I'll just wait until someone checks if any Wii updates will make it not work. If it's all fine, then I'll order it. This'll be great for me, I live in NZ.

C Dawg009

Smash Cadet
Something tells me this product has epic fail written all over it. Heck, even one source for the freeloader said it was "100% UNOFFICIAL!" That can't be good. <_< If it does work though, hey all the better.

To TC, I don't think many people like it when you refer to us as "You Americans." It feels demeaning. =,( My self-esteem is already low enough as it is; I don't need someone insulting the entire population of my country. That just becomes stressful. I'm not good at dealing with stress. Stress makes me cry. =,(

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
I don't know where to but brawl from I know that it can be bought from gamestop and playasia and shipped to the uk but anyone with experience want to tell me which one is better?

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Something tells me this product has epic fail written all over it. Heck, even one source for the freeloader said it was "100% UNOFFICIAL!" That can't be good. <_< If it does work though, hey all the better.

To TC, I don't think many people like it when you refer to us as "You Americans." It feels demeaning. =,( My self-esteem is already low enough as it is; I don't need someone insulting the entire population of my country. That just becomes stressful. I'm not good at dealing with stress. Stress makes me cry. =,(
lol, ALL sources claims that the Freeloader is 100% Unofficial. Nintendo would never allow things like those.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Alot of pads are unofficial, doesn't mean that they don't work.

Through ordering the freeloader/US brawl i actually understood why they region lock games. My copy of brawl including packaging cost £32. If i was to buy the EU brawl it would be £40. I cannot believe how UK taxes stoop up the prices so much. If this wiikey works then I'm definitely ordering my games from overseas. It's just the cheaper/quicker/better option.

Raikage

Smash Apprentice

The Original Freeloader for GameCube was also 100% unofficial and it's never failed me once. And it let me play Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 a year ago and it still hasn't been released here, money well spent I say!

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Alot of pads are unofficial, doesn't mean that they don't work.

Through ordering the freeloader/US brawl i actually understood why they region lock games. My copy of brawl including packaging cost £32. If i was to buy the EU brawl it would be £40. I cannot believe how UK taxes stoop up the prices so much. If this wiikey works then I'm definitely ordering my games from overseas. It's just the cheaper/quicker/better option.
Be glad you don't live in Sweden then. We got the highest taxes in the world.

Top Bottom