• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Wassup, my ninjas? ◥ θ┴θ◤

How do y'all feel about the tier list? 25th is not too bad compared to other tier lists, but I feel we can be a little higher.

:150:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Omg Mocha hiiiii

It's been so long!
I know right x.x hope all has been well with you. Too much has happened for proper words...

How's your Greninja been coming along? Picked up some secondaries too?

Y2Kay Y2Kay

I'm not too crazy about the tier list, but then again, I can't really put all that much back up behind it since I've been absent for so long. I do wonder though if the list will change significantly or barely with the additions of Corrin and Bayonetta though.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I know right x.x hope all has been well with you. Too much has happened for proper words...

How's your Greninja been coming along? Picked up some secondaries too?
I think ever since you left I've been to two big tournaments here in Brazil and I've gotten 2nd place in my first one, then in the second tournament I brought the Greninja plush you gave me for good luck and managed to get 1st (and I won a Lucario amiibo in the process).

Despite only showing up a couple of times, I already have people considering me one of Brazil's top players which is pretty funny. There was a convention tournament that I went to which had the best player in Brazil in it, I lost to him but I did manage to get 2nd for what it's worth

I still sorta secondary Lucas, though he's very mediocre overall, but I'm 90% sure to pick up Bayonetta as a secondary.

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125

How do y'all feel about the tier list? 25th is not too bad compared to other tier lists, but I feel we can be a little higher.

Greninja is fine. Other characters are the problem. There isnt enough greninja rep for him to be higher

btw get off smashboards you skrub lmao

Last edited by a moderator:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Greninja is fine. Other characters are the problem. There isnt enough greninja rep for him to be higher

btw get off smashboards you skrub lmao
Actually there is enough rep for him to move up. Get educated scrub.

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
That kind of mentality and attitude isn't really tolerated here.
lol i was joking I personally know who mewtwo chains is he probably isnt thinking though. Didnt mean to come across like that lmao

Actually there is enough rep for him to move up. Get educated scrub.

What r u doing lmao its me Pipp

Last edited by a moderator:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I think ever since you left I've been to two big tournaments here in Brazil and I've gotten 2nd place in my first one, then in the second tournament I brought the Greninja plush you gave me for good luck and managed to get 1st (and I won a Lucario amiibo in the process).

Despite only showing up a couple of times, I already have people considering me one of Brazil's top players which is pretty funny. There was a convention tournament that I went to which had the best player in Brazil in it, I lost to him but I did manage to get 2nd for what it's worth

I still sorta secondary Lucas, though he's very mediocre overall, but I'm 90% sure to pick up Bayonetta as a secondary.
Damn, I don't mean to sound all sappy here, but I'm really proud of you. Good stuff! And I'm kind of thrilled that the Greninja plushie brought you some luck :') and congrats on your placings and prizes! You plan to keep playing Smash actively for some time?

Ah yes, I remember you liked Lucas too - you can always keep him as an alternate character to have in case you find a more comfortable secondary for you. Looking forward to how Corrin and Bayonetta will play out!

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Damn, I don't mean to sound all sappy here, but I'm really proud of you. Good stuff! And I'm kind of thrilled that the Greninja plushie brought you some luck :') and congrats on your placings and prizes! You plan to keep playing Smash actively for some time?

Ah yes, I remember you liked Lucas too - you can always keep him as an alternate character to have in case you find a more comfortable secondary for you. Looking forward to how Corrin and Bayonetta will play out!
I plan to keep playing as long as the game is still fun to me and I don't think I'll be getting tired of it for a long time considering my track record with this series.

Unfortunately most tourneys in Brazil happen in another state and I can't afford to travel on my own yet, tournaments in Rio are much more rare.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Huh, I guess this was the old social renamed? Sorry guys, it's been like a year or more since I've been here, and most of you probably don't even know who I am lol. How have you all been?

Any Greninja news I've missed since like... forever?
Mocha! It's been a while!

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
elusiveTranscendent elusiveTranscendent Heeeya, how've you been Elu? How's the ninja coming along?
Been way busy with school to really attend anything. Been studying videos and replays, and practicing tech, so I've been trying to keep up. I feel like I've grown a lot, but NJ's still tough so, I don't know where I stand at the moment.

Actually going to a tournament today for the first time in a month or so. It's not streamed, but I'm kinda anxious. Wanna perform well.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Been way busy with school to really attend anything. Been studying videos and replays, and practicing tech, so I've been trying to keep up. I feel like I've grown a lot, but NJ's still tough so, I don't know where I stand at the moment.

Actually going to a tournament today for the first time in a month or so. It's not streamed, but I'm kinda anxious. Wanna perform well.
Yeah I hear you, can totally relate to life getting in the way. Good luck on your tourney today! You got this.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay

Well, you should think of it as just another learning experience, no need to pressure yourself to do well.

Think of it this way: If you don't improve than who cares how well you do?

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535

Considering all that goes into determining a 50+ character tier list in only a year and a few months, I'd say it's pretty accurate. Hopefully, tomorrow's update will give us more positive things to work with and can help us with some of our tough match-ups. More importantly, we need to get ourselves out there and show that you shouldn't sleep on this ninja frog. :4greninja:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Thank youuu, how've you been?

Ah yes, Pokken, fell a bit behind with news on that too. Last i heard was Chandelure hah. And I haven't heard of Venia, but that just goes to show how behind I am x.x
I've been alright, though college is slowly making things less alright each day.

I hadn't heard of Venia until a month ago myself. He's been taking top 4 at Nebulouses pretty consistently with solo Greninja and almost won on Sunday after losing after a bracket reset to a Sheik.

You probably haven't missed too much for Pokken if Chandelure was the last Pokemon you saw. Mewtwo (regular), Braixen and Garchomp were also confirmed, but they have no footage atm.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Speaking of college, I got to take the ACT Saturday

My mom has bet $1,000 I can't make a 33.

I'd like that money! Have faith in me, clan! ◥ θ┴θ◤

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Speaking of college, I got to take the ACT Saturday

My mom has bet $1,000 I can't make a 33.

I'd like that money! Have faith in me, clan! ◥ θ┴θ◤

The ACT was super fast so I hated it. -_- The questions are fairer than the SAT's though so you might like it more than that if you're quick. Good luck man.

Like I said in the comment section, I approve of his placing and his position relative to the other characters makes sense, but I would personally place him a little higher (around 20-ish I think). I think the Back Room did a great job with the tier list. The biggest changes I'd make would be moving Brawler down to where Ganon, Jiggs and Zelda are and possibly re-labelling the names of the tiers (I think that A tier could count as Top tier for instance and that the upper and that the upper mid tiers (C, maybe part of D) could be placed in High tier).

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

I think this tier list has proved to me once again why I don't much care for them. It could be improved. At most characters are where they are based on representation right now. Personally I've found that some of the current "bottom tiers" are actually pretty good, they just have no representation because everyone goes with the top tiers. I don't have anything against tier lists but I don't really follow them either. I just feel this one is a bit more based on representation rather than viability.

Onyxsbayne

Smash Cadet
With how difficult it is to perform, is it worth trying to learn and use perfect pivoting in Greninjas play style, or is it something that can be used just as something to show for combo videos or something.

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
With how difficult it is to perform, is it worth trying to learn and use perfect pivoting in Greninjas play style, or is it something that can be used just as something to show for combo videos or something.
I couldn't play greninja without perfect pivoting, your spacing and punishment options because you outspaced your opponent becomes so much better.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
First impressions of DLC:

Corrin is a cool character, pretty average overall. He struggles to kill until Uthrow starts to work (around 10% earlier than ours). Fairly low damage output with limited combos but excellent tilts, a good jab and some powerful aerial options. Side B is gimmicky but powerful.

Opinions on Bayonetta range from "disappointing" to "banworthy". I wouldn't stretch to the latter but I definitely think Bayo is an amazing character - the fact that people have found 0-death combos in a matter of hours speaks for itself. She appears to lack weaknesses aside from having crappy rolls and slightly slow frame data. Potential for top 5 or 3.

Greninja's shadow sneak hitstun cancel is still in, and more valuable than ever. He's now the only character who can escape ZSS, MK and Bayo's ladder combos with near-100% consistency. Bayo's combos in particular are extremely vulnerable to being countered by the hitstun cancel.

Greninja has an interesting niche in the meta now. He once again has a unique trait that no-one else has. I can't believe it's the SSHC, but it's turning out to be one of the main reasons to pick Greninja. Being a solid character anyway and having a unique advantage against three of the best characters in the game will serve him well. On paper the sky's the limit for him if we can crack the Sheik and Sonic MUs.

Last edited:

Steve.Stone

Smash Cadet
Can we just use shadow sneak at any time during the combos to escape? Or with Meta Knight and Samus are there specific hits we have to use it on?

Last edited:

Breakout

Smash Rookie
NNID
Plataypus72
Hey guys my tag is breakout I'm an Ike/Bowser main although I've been leaning more towards Ike lately, anyways I'm looking to pick up Greninja because he looks fun. Any beginning tips for someone who already has strong fundamentals for the frog?

Plus he might help some of Ike's more questionable matchups.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Hey guys my tag is breakout I'm an Ike/Bowser main although I've been leaning more towards Ike lately, anyways I'm looking to pick up Greninja because he looks fun. Any beginning tips for someone who already has strong fundamentals for the frog?

Good choice :3

The first tip I'd give is to love your Shurikens. They give a lot of characters trouble and can give you some time to figure out how to approach neutral before you go in. Make sure that you learn to b-reverse in both the air and ground if you haven't already and wavebouncing as well if you can manage to do so. The characters that you'd probably want to hold back on using Shurikens against so much are Sheik and Fox, and you should be character when using fully-charged Shurikens against Villager and some characters with reflectors.

Tip 2 is to practice spacing your short hop F-airs. It's another integral neutral tool and while its startup is pretty high, it's strong and safe when spaced well.

Finally, you should try to find ways to stay moving at nearly all times during a match with Greninja. A static Greninja can be somewhat predictable and Greninja is a character that thrives on mixups, surprise and running circles around his opponents. This can be done by simple things like running and jumping around and dashing into shield, as well as more technical stuff like dash dancing, foxtrotting, sliding pivots and perfect pivoting.

Hope that I helped. Good luck and welcome to the pond!

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay

Welcom to the Village Hidden in the Pond, enjoy your stay ◥ θ┴θ◤ First off...

The notable Matchups that Greninja really shines in is: :4bayonetta::4myfriends::4luigi::4mario::4metaknight::4ness::4cloud2::4zss: :4dk::4bowser:

The notables ones he struggle with (in order) are: :4sheik::4sonic::4fox:

The notable matchups that he finds tricky but still even is: :4diddy::4pit::4darkpit::4pikachu::4lucario:

As Jaguar360 Jaguar360 stated, having good movement is key. His mobility is very impressive, and being able to incorporate foxtrotting, sliding pivots, perfect pivots isvital to being good with him. I recommend that you play a whole day on smash ladder WITHOUT your shield button. Greninja's OOS punish are very lacking, so breaking that habit will be important. Doing this will help you learn to just run away and weave out of attacks than just shielding. I did this and noticed immediate results.

Also, go into training mode and lab out some Nair combos. The combos vary depending on percent, but there is always a followup. You should definitely use this to punish spotdodges, cross up shields, and as a mixup when your opponent starts to read your dash grabs.

When your trying to get off a fast punish, jab and down tilt are your best bet.

Learn how to gimp people hydro pump gimp. and kill really help you net early kills. The easiest way to do this is by, when your opponent is sent flying very far vertically, jump off and position your self between them and the ledge, then hydro pump them. The best angle is to it diagonally away from your opponent.
Here are some characters it works on:
:4bayonetta::4falcon::4charizard::4cloud2::4corrinf::4diddy::4drmario::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucas::4lucina::4marth::4ness::4feroy::4samus::4shulk::4tlink::4wario:

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=easwjLAddU0

Just Some proving why he is essentially basedlord.

Welcom to the Village Hidden in the Pond, enjoy your stay ◥ θ┴θ◤ First off...

The notable Matchups that Greninja really shines in is: :4bayonetta::4myfriends::4luigi::4mario::4metaknight::4ness::4cloud2::4zss: :4dk::4bowser:

The notables ones he struggle with (in order) are: :4sheik::4sonic::4fox:

The notable matchups that he finds tricky but still even is: :4diddy::4pit::4darkpit::4pikachu::4lucario:

As Jaguar360 Jaguar360 stated, having good movement is key. His mobility is very impressive, and being able to incorporate foxtrotting, sliding pivots, perfect pivots isvital to being good with him. I recommend that you play a whole day on smash ladder WITHOUT your shield button. Greninja's OOS punish are very lacking, so breaking that habit will be important. Doing this will help you learn to just run away and weave out of attacks than just shielding. I did this and noticed immediate results.

Also, go into training mode and lab out some Nair combos. The combos vary depending on percent, but there is always a followup. You should definitely use this to punish spotdodges, cross up shields, and as a mixup when your opponent starts to read your dash grabs.

When your trying to get off a fast punish, jab and down tilt are your best bet.

Learn how to gimp people hydro pump gimp. and kill really help you net early kills. The easiest way to do this is by, when your opponent is sent flying very far vertically, jump off and position your self between them and the ledge, then hydro pump them. The best angle is to it diagonally away from your opponent.
Here are some characters it works on:
:4bayonetta::4falcon::4charizard::4cloud2::4corrinf::4diddy::4drmario::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucas::4lucina::4marth::4ness::4feroy::4samus::4shulk::4tlink::4wario:

I have issues with a ZSS player in club, why do you think he shines there? I feel like I can't camp him out too well because of how fast ZSS is, also dealing with positive on shield Bair and getting cornered is annoying. Tips?

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=easwjLAddU0

Just Some proving why he is essentially basedlord.

I have issues with a ZSS player in club, why do you think he shines there? I feel like I can't camp him out too well because of how fast ZSS is, also dealing with positive on shield Bair and getting cornered is annoying. Tips?
Welll you can shadow sneak out of her boost kick, especially at low percents, so you never have to worry about dying to the ladder combo like everyone else. Also, her SH game is harder to do on us, do to our short frame.

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
Welll you can shadow sneak out of her boost kick, especially at low percents, so you never have to worry about dying to the ladder combo like everyone else. Also, her SH game is harder to do on us, do to our short frame.

It's way too hard to predict when she would use her boost kick. Besides shadow sneak is too slow to get out of boost kick and it's really punishable.

Top Bottom