• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Hurtbox thing has been known for ages. I made a video on it which had about 5000 views last time I checked.

It was tweeted to Sakurai numerous times and got to the r/smashbros front page but nothing was done to improve his hurtbox.
Yeah, turns out you figured that out right after I left for a while, in my own thread no less.... Glad to see it was spread around so much, though, even if nothing's come of it yet. At the very least, people are aware of this silliness (although, not me, since I apparently enjoy being in the dark on these things haha).

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Won a small tournament in Kalamazoo tonight. Dropped my first set in winners after having a bye... to a wifi warrior who killed me at 45 with Lucario f smash (ouch). Then ran it all the way back to grands while taking out the same player and a couple of my friends that are around my skill level. They both play Luigi, and I definitely don't hate that matchup haha.

Started covering ledge options with full shuriken, which I feel was a big step for my kinda sub par ledge coverage game. I got a few people to roll with the shuriken, which got me a free d smash. Others did regular get up, which I feel is best covered with fair because it beats spot dodges and is relatively safe if you miss. Gonna work on implementing ledge trumps and more coverage options into my game, any tips?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
So its been awhile since I've last been to any tournaments lately, and I just got my console back from Mom around a week and a half ago. For the past 2 days I've been able to ignore For Glory for the most part (I have REALLY bad habits going there again and again) and play on Anther's instead to practice for my next tourney and going mostly Greninja this time. So Far I'm ranked as a Gold II but I played at least 2 people who basically destroyed me and I still got a bit to work on. I still have a hard time edgeguarding outside of using Hydro Pump and from watching after matched I recorded, I seem to be really reckless when using Nair & Dash Grab and I seem to get really hungry for combos and forgot the concept of 'Bait and Punish'. Next time I wanna go all Greninja without using my secondary once, but it seems as though I still have a bit to work on before that turns into a success.

I also thought of a new tag to use when I make my comeback: DWN.658 , which is a combination of sorts from the two character's I play :4megaman::4greninja:. My friends will probably not be used to it, but I like to think it rolls of the tongue better than my old name and actually pertains to my mains.

Started covering ledge options with full shuriken, which I feel was a big step for my kinda sub par ledge coverage game. I got a few people to roll with the shuriken, which got me a free d smash. Others did regular get up, which I feel is best covered with fair because it beats spot dodges and is relatively safe if you miss. Gonna work on implementing ledge trumps and more coverage options into my game, any tips?
My Ledge Game isn't quite up to par either and I too gotta implement ledge trumps, but if people like to spotdodge and regular get up, I personally prefer to use Shadow Sneak to Fair. Though its a lot less safe on whiff or shield, I find its startup and superior power to net a far bigger reward than Fair does if people like to spotdodge so much (It also helps if people shield full shurikens and get accustomed to spotdodging dash grabs, where shadow sneak will take care of that in my experience). I guess it depends on personal preference though, I'm more about the reward than I am for safety. If they like to ledge roll, I've gotten way more merit out of an Utilt or a pivot grab (which I learned from people doin to me) than a Dsmash since they have actual followups and less lag. And if people get accustomed to ledge jumps, there's always Uair spikes too, but you probably knew that one already. Full Shurikens to cover ledges is something I've been doing a bit more too and I've been getting mixed results with it, its what I'm using now but somehow I'm feeling there's a better option out there..

Congrats on your tourney win all the same, man. I personally have yet to even achieve 2nd place again.

Last edited:

NWDM 1-H

Smash Cadet
I'm feeling there's a better option out there..
I personally EDD/dance-trot near the edge, making people usually do a normal, jump or roll get-up rather than an attack, so I approach them while busy getting up with a N-air fast-falled or a sliding down-tilt. If they are accustomed to shielding right after getting up, a dash-grab or fake-out pivot grab works for me.

Of course it is hard to do online with slight lag spikes, (which is why I almost never do this online) so I resort to getting stage-spikes from a rising b-air or ledge-trump people into a b-air to edgeguard.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
I also like d tilt at the ledge. I'm using that move a lot more to poke shields now, it really has fantastic range.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Decided to make a video compilation of a lot of crap Greninja gets to deal with. It's missing a couple things such as our insane end-lag on Dsmash and whatnot, but I basically wanted to emphasize stuff Greninja has to deal with that many characters do not (having a Dsmash with a ton of end-lag isn't irregular. Having blindspots on two different Smashes is, especially with one as massive as Fsmash's is) as well as stuff that makes no sense on Greninja when compared to stuff other characters get (such as Sheik getting intangibility on her Usmash even though she would still get plenty out of a trade with her Usmash whereas Greninja does not due its two hit nature).

Anyway, here's the video and stuff. I plan to do a more in-depth one in the future (break is coming up soon) that's much more explanatory and in-depth (and as a result, will be longer)

Last edited:

Steve.Stone

Smash Cadet
Wow really, I knew Greninja could get hit by lasers now but I thought they just got bigger I didn't know his hitbox box included the EMPTY space above his head. X( And I didn't even know about those Smash attacks missing at close range, that is some serious bullcrap Sakurai.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So then, next Smash meme is Better Buff Greninja, right?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Why does Greninja always look adorable or goofy!?

Carry on, everyone. :p

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
You were expecting a frog that uses their own tongue as a scarf to not look goofy?
I was expecting something else while searching for artwork of Falco for the notable players thread; I wasn't expecting Greninja being his usual dorky self. Also, apparently Falco and Tidus have as much fan art as a spotted cow has spots. That's to say, not a lot compared to Auron, Fox, and everyone else.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Greninja is a frog. Frogs are inherently goofy and adorable. Greninja tries to hide it with his ninja motif and all, going so far as to try and keep his voice low, but the moment that facade gets thrown off or taken down, his inherent qualities as a frog shine through. That's what makes him such an endearing character <3

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I imagined Greninja as this quirky, sweet, but shy and quiet guy that goes straight killa if you mess with him too much

:150:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I always describe Greninja as "something that looks cute, badass and just plain stupid (in a good way) at the same time"

I have a Greninja Squad in my X game and I gave them all names and personalities in my head, on top of having a plush, amiibo, tin can, TCG card (I don't even play lol) and soon a shirt.

I was quite obsessed with this Pokémon for some time and even now I still find it so very cute/cool/dumb

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
After reading these comments I realize me and greninja have a lot in common lol. Maybe that's why I like him so much?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I always describe Greninja as "something that looks cute, badass and just plain stupid (in a good way) at the same time"

I have a Greninja Squad in my X game and I gave them all names and personalities in my head, on top of having a plush, amiibo, tin can, TCG card (I don't even play lol) and soon a shirt.

I was quite obsessed with this Pokémon for some time and even now I still find it so very cute/cool/dumb
Lol, I've got a ton of cards and I don't play either. I just collect them. I'll eventually sell them after a loooong time. The second I got into playing Greninja I went out and bought a Greninja EX Tin. No regular Greninja card, but I did of course get the Greninja EX card, which was awesome.

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
After reading these comments I realize me and greninja have a lot in common lol. Maybe that's why I like him so much?
I think it's kinda funny when we use a character for so long, it feels like we resonate with the character with their personality and the way they control, etc. Either that, or I'm just good at doing Greninja's voice. It's basically like Gollum and Stitch. LOL

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
So I'm still here, maining Lucina and MK, wondering about the whole "top 3" thing for Anther's.
You know, it's kinda funny, I ended up dropping all the potential #3 characters. :4mewtwo: :rosalina: :4greninja: & :4cloud:
However, I did wonder: I removed Greninja because I'm inconsistent with him...perhaps that is something that can be remedied?

Cloud was dropped because he's becoming overrated...and I'm not that great with him
Rosa was dropped because she's overrated and after shaking rust off, I realized I'm not great with her either.
Mewtwo was dropped because he's a low tier and hasn't produced results sadly. None even were able to make it out of pools in Genesis. Surprising, as the Mewtwo boards are much more active nowadays. Plus, MK can handle being my consistent main throughout each smash game (that he's in).
Greninja was dropped for the reason I said, I'm inconsistent with him. I wonder though, perhaps I should cut him some slack? He's got a decent placement around the upper mid tier, has produced good results, and is criminally underused.
Based on people's recommendations, it's been mostly between Greninja, Mewtwo, and sticking to just Lucina and MK. Also, I've been told that on my better days, that people like my Mewtwo slightly more, but as I said, he's rather low in the mid tier...whereas Greninja is higher and I would only have to fix my consistency with 'em.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I'd like to know who voted too, wanted to get a grip on who's voting or not

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I voted Sea. It sounded most fit to me. Plus the sea is the biggest of the options, meaning we'd rule over a large domain so ya...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd like to know who voted too, wanted to get a grip on who's voting or not

I voted for bubbles because of Froakie and Frogadier's bubbles. Your post also made me think that I probably should post more often instead of lurking, so thanks for that.

Also, is Utilt -> Fair true at those high percents where you can't link into Uair to kill? It does more damage than Nair or Bair and doesn't stale Uair. I've been using it more often lately but I can't figure out if you can air dodge it at ~100+% since I don't have anybody to practice with atm.

Last edited by a moderator:

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
I did pond aswell. Fair is a very... Strict follow up off of up tilt.

BlitzTrain

Smash Rookie
My vote is for "The village hidden in the Reeds" if you're gonna stick with that naming scheme. But since that wasn't an option I said Waves since that just sounds better than Pond to me.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I chose waves. It just sounds better plus Greninja is a water pokemon and he can learn HM03 Surf it makes sense to me.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Huh, I guess this was the old social renamed? Sorry guys, it's been like a year or more since I've been here, and most of you probably don't even know who I am lol. How have you all been?

Any Greninja news I've missed since like... forever?

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Huh, I guess this was the old social renamed? Sorry guys, it's been like a year or more since I've been here, and most of you probably don't even know who I am lol. How have you all been?

You remind me of this guy I know......

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137

You're back! <3

Greninja news? Uh idk really. He hasn't been confirmed for Pokken tournament yet, we have dank footstool combos, Venia is putting in work with Greninja in NY and iStudying in the Netherlands (who will be at BEAST 6 in a few weeks). Idk what else to say.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
You're back! <3

Greninja news? Uh idk really. He hasn't been confirmed for Pokken tournament yet, we have dank footstool combos, Venia is putting in work with Greninja in NY and iStudying in the Netherlands (who will be at BEAST 6 in a few weeks). Idk what else to say.
Thank youuu, how've you been?

Ah yes, Pokken, fell a bit behind with news on that too. Last i heard was Chandelure hah. And I haven't heard of Venia, but that just goes to show how behind I am x.x

Top Bottom