• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
It's way too hard to predict when she would use her boost kick. Besides shadow sneak is too slow to get out of boost kick and it's really punishable.
You shadow sneak the last kick that kills, depending on where she is when you finish wether or not you can punish.

Istudying is the best greninja btw, not amsa.

:150:

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
You shadow sneak the last kick that kills, depending on where she is when you finish wether or not you can punish.

Istudying is the best greninja btw, not amsa.

I for one was never very good with footstool combo's, but man did that look awesome. Gonna need to start practicing some more..

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125

Istudying is the best greninja btw, not amsa

:150::150:

I already knew he wasn't the best greninja. He used to be tho.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
@King_Venia , @consomme_5, and @istudying all got top 8 at Big Tourneys this weekend!

Great job guys! Really makin' the Village proud! ◥ θ┴θ◤

Last edited:

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
I know i can escape Boost kick, I think I just lose to getting spaced out with better frame data, but maybe I should just run away when getting outspaced and force more aggressive approaches.
I wanna say Some is just as good as iStudying. They are both amazing.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Venia out in Pools at KTAR ;_;. Lost to Vex (Sonic) and Bryce (idk who he is).

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Some's definitely the best. aMSa never did anything notable with Greninja outside 9th at Apex (which in fairness was pretty good considering Greninja'd just been nuked and had yet to pick up all his buffs).

Here's hoping he puts more time into S4 and has more success with Greninja. More frog players are always welcome.

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
actually he told me on stream he thought Some is the best.

Yes maybe at the moment but when amsa has finished practicing he will be one of the best greninjas again.

Some's definitely the best. aMSa never did anything notable with Greninja outside 9th at Apex (which in fairness was pretty good considering Greninja'd just been nuked and had yet to pick up all his buffs).

Here's hoping he puts more time into S4 and has more success with Greninja. More frog players are always welcome.
Yeah but what are some's results like. Not locally like regionals, majors, etc.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
from ya boy @istudying , if you guys didn't see the article on the front page:

Hey everyone, My name is iStudying. I am ranked second in Smash 4 in the Netherlands, right after Mr-R. I have been playing competitive Smash Bros. since Brawl (2008), where I mained Diddy Kong. When Smash 4 came out I immediately started maining Greninja, because he was different and his playing style fit me.

At the moment Greninja is ranked low Mid Tier (E), but I know that he is a much better character than that. I feel like people just haven’t seen enough Greninja players in action. As someone who played him since the beginning, I think some of his disadvantaged matchups are Sheik and Fox, but even those are 40:60 at worst.

Greninja has a notable flaw, which is that he has to commit with almost everything he does. However, he also has a lot of potential with great mobility, killing power, setups etc. By mastering him, you will not only notice the fun and flashiness of the character, but also reap the benefits this character has relative to other characters in the game.

Greninja is underrated and people should look into him more. I expect him to rise in the tier list and if you want to see what this character is capable of, look out for players like Some (Japan), Venia (America) and myself (Europe).

Splashing out.
well said, man! :)

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
That match vs Shogun was incredible. That's Greninja cleanly beating a player who's probably top 10 worldwide with his character, despite having an arguable disadvantage against the character.

I don't know how it can be argued that Greninja isn't at least a contender for top 15. He so is. There's a clearly emerging top 12 (in no particular order) of...

:4pikachu::4mario::4diddy::4sheik::4villager::4fox::4sonic::4zss::rosalina::4ryu::4metaknight::4cloud:

...with :4bayonetta: probably joining the ranks and :4ness: being just outside them to make up a top 14. But you can make a strong argument for Greninja deserving the 15th spot over any other character. His main competition is from the Pits at this stage.

I think Ness is a tier down from the top 13 (he has more notable weaknesses and -2 MUs) and that Greninja and the Pits are about as good as Ness, slightly worse but still in the same tier.

Last edited:

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
That match vs Shogun was incredible. That's Greninja cleanly beating a player who's probably top 10 worldwide with his character, despite having an arguable disadvantage against the character.

I don't know how it can be argued that Greninja isn't at least a contender for top 15. He so is. There's a clearly emerging top 12 (in no particular order) of...

:4pikachu::4mario::4diddy::4sheik::4villager::4fox::4sonic::4zss::rosalina::4ryu::4metaknight::4cloud:

...with :4bayonetta: probably joining the ranks and :4ness: being just outside them to make up a top 14. But you can make a strong argument for Greninja deserving the 15th spot over any other character. His main competition is from the Pits at this stage.

I think Ness is a tier down from the top 13 (he has more notable weaknesses and -2 MUs) and that Greninja and the Pits are about as good as Ness, slightly worse but still in the same tier.
Interesting. I think your point of view for the top 12(although the top 12 is currently the official top 12 with Ness at 13th) and your point of view for greninja being 15th are contradictory. All the characters in those lists see results internationally(putting things like Villager who, if it wasn't for Ranai I am very sure wouldn't be in that list). So this looks like a result heavy top 12, and if results are taking such an importance in the top 12, I think Greninja can't be the 15th best character since he lacks the results nationally. Unlike Greninja, Toon Link does really well in mexico and did pretty decently in the US. I feel like what can be said for Greninja can also be said for characters like Yoshi(if not more since there's an overall agreement in that Yoshi is still a very solid character, same thing with Luigi).

Not trying to create any discomfort, i just feel like this is an interesting topic for discussion.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Just a question, but aren't all tier lists heavily results based?

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Interesting. I think your point of view for the top 12(although the top 12 is currently the official top 12 with Ness at 13th) and your point of view for greninja being 15th are contradictory. All the characters in those lists see results internationally(putting things like Villager who, if it wasn't for Ranai I am very sure wouldn't be in that list). So this looks like a result heavy top 12, and if results are taking such an importance in the top 12, I think Greninja can't be the 15th best character since he lacks the results nationally. Unlike Greninja, Toon Link does really well in mexico and did pretty decently in the US. I feel like what can be said for Greninja can also be said for characters like Yoshi(if not more since there's an overall agreement in that Yoshi is still a very solid character, same thing with Luigi).

Not trying to create any discomfort, i just feel like this is an interesting topic for discussion.
At this point it's hard to argue that anyone's results are worth more than Greninja's, except Pit's.

Greninja has results everywhere except the US. And even in the US, Venia now consistently hits top 4 at Nebulous, one of the most stacked regionals in the country. Some, istudying and Venia are repping Greninja all over the world, with Some and istudying doing it on a national level.

Toon Link does next to nothing in the US but does well in Mexico, okay in Europe (BlueLink lost GFs to a Ganon once...) and has done well in Japan recently but the results aren't sustained. His results are overall comparable to Greninja's. Probably worse in terms of consistency.

Yoshi and Luigi have next to no results. Raptor got top 8 recently I think? That's Yoshi's best result for months.

Note that Luigi has always been massively overrated and never got results past a regional level even before his nerfs.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Hey hey, got my first top 8 at the Pulse weekly. Ally was at this one and only a couple other PR so it was a little light at the top, but I still got some solid wins and felt like I played pretty well.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Congrats! Were you able to save any replays?
Unfortunately my two matches on stream were losses, but the latter was to a PR Mario/Mega Man and I got up tilted by MM on the DL top platform game 3. Killed me at 50 some, really close set otherwise. I'll post them when they're uploaded.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Unfortunately my two matches on stream were losses, but the latter was to a PR Mario/Mega Man and I got up tilted by MM on the DL top platform game 3. Killed me at 50 some, really close set otherwise. I'll post them when they're uploaded.
No worries, and sorry to hear that - 50... that's rough :/

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Hiya I dont post here much I mainly just lurk but my plan is to win big tournies with Greninja thats all I have to say lol...big fan of how much effort you guys put into this character hopefully one day I can do the same.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Congrats, istudying, eddy, and shadow claw!

Y'all repped the frog at BEAST 6 really well!

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
@istudying with the top 8 Greninja at BEAST 6!

Possible turning point here. Even the Americans can't ignore BEAST 6 results lol.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
That's what I'm talkin' about boys!

The Village Hidden in the Pond will rise to glory one day, I see it!

31IV

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reshilegend
Super hyped to see iStudying in top 8, good job man.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Congrats to Eddy getting 25th too. That's awesome!

31IV

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reshilegend
Yooooooooooo
Istud vs Sodrek was amazing.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I missed iStudying vs Sodrek and most of iStudying vs. MVD. ;_;

But holy crap iStudying. You just Hydro Pumped everyone's expectations today. I could just feel your drive to win just watching those matches. You played so incredibly vs ESAM and MVD and even Mr. R in spite of the 3-0 loss. You have done great deeds for the Greninja nation today. I am so proud! :')

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I haven't been following frog stuff for awhile so maybe it's just old news, but I was surprised to see iStudying manage to shadow sneak out of Sheik's uair before the final hit once. Didn't think it was fast enough to do that.

Congratulations on 2nd, Stud~

Lone V

Smash Rookie
NNID
LoneWolf_XIII
I thought people were trolling when they told me a Greninja made it to Beast 6 GFs. That's amazing, can´t wait to watch the replays once they're up!

Hi btw, never actually posted here before but I've been lurking these frog threads ever since Smash 3DS came out :p

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
@istudying You were amazing man, I couldn't watch most of the hype stuff because the stream kept breaking for me but just going from what people were saying I knew you were doing some of our fancy Gren stuff there.

This is the first time I've gotten this hyped up with this game and it's great. I wish I could meet you right now and give you a hug or something

You really brought Greninja into the spotlight and showed everything there was to show, for better or for worse, congratulations!

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
@istudying. I'm so proud of you. Just incredible.

S/O to @Eddy as well for getting 25th. Greninja was in force this tournament and you've made me happy about it.

D

Deleted member

While watching some of those games where @istudying 's opponents would jump out of double jab setups, I thought he might try for a Fair or Uair to catch it. Something to add to the playbook, maybe? Anyway, congratulations iStudying! I think I popped off harder than you did after a few matches, lol.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Now that I think about it I did pop off some when he won lol

I was cheering so hard he could probably hear me all the way across the Atlantic Ocean :p

Top Bottom