• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
It's still kind of a minor thing to get so up in arms about. I have one or two moments where I SS instead of HP in recent memory so it's not a big deal.
Yeah, but if somebody is going to twice insist I'm wrong over such a simple and observable detail...

I did a lot of Mewtwo experimenting tonight. Feels like another matchup that seems unfriendly to Greninja but he manages to even it out or maybe a slight advantage just by being so fast and having forward air. It can be tedious to get through repeated uncharged Shadow Ball though, since it easily outpaces uncharged shuriken. I feel like Mewtwo is way too underdeveloped (and Greninja too, but definitely especially Mewtwo) to make a great assessment of this matchup, though.

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
How active are people here? It's been too long since I played against any Greninja, and I don't mean just that a skype group exists. How often do people play?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Well okay. That's not very surprising really. Just by looking at your main list it's quite obvious that you're dedicated to Dedede so obviously you would be practicing with him lol.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Am I missing any KO setups? Up air spike, down tilt/ neutral air to up smash, switch to forward air at really high percents. The down tilt doesn't combo into up smash against a lot of characters, though. Not counting Shifting Shuriken either.

D

Deleted member

Am I missing any KO setups? Up air spike, down tilt/ neutral air to up smash, switch to forward air at really high percents. The down tilt doesn't combo into up smash against a lot of characters, though. Not counting Shifting Shuriken either.
Just a few more off the top of my head: Utilt -> Uair, Nair -> Fair, and at early percents Nair -> Footstool -> Dair -> etc. = 0 - Death (if you're pro unlike me)

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I said neutral air to forward air, though I'm not sure what percents it works at for each character. Seems like a small window.

Up tilt is such a long startup, I only use it as a ground punish. Sometimes you can catch big characters with it in the air where up smash wouldn't have worked very well, but I don't know when people use it generally.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I said neutral air to forward air, though I'm not sure what percents it works at for each character. Seems like a small window.

Up tilt is such a long startup, I only use it as a ground punish. Sometimes you can catch big characters with it in the air where up smash wouldn't have worked very well, but I don't know when people use it generally.
I use it to punish rolls and as an anti air. It's surprisingly very reliable at anti airing, much better than Up Smash where sometimes only the first hit lands

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
utilt is one of the best anti-airs in this game. ridiculous move and unless you're mashing airdodge as soon as you get hit by it you're gonna die if you're around 110-130.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I don't know right now. I think Greninja is a good character who should be a GREAT character. His moves look like they should flow together, but they don't. His air to air is not threatening (online, at least). Getting grabbed by him is just, whatever. Lately I don't have any confidence playing as him and I'm not concerned playing against him. When you're doing well, everything's pretty good. But lately it's just not working out.

That Water Shuriken nerf hurt way too much for me. I used it in the air to bait things out and delay landing, but now the endlag is so long, you can't really do that so well. Everybody I play with knows the tricks and once they double jump away, Greninja has nothing but to wait for them to land.

I think I'm going to play Sheik more so I can appreciate Greninja's strengths better.

Last edited:

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
How active are people here? It's been too long since I played against any Greninja, and I don't mean just that a skype group exists. How often do people play?
Haven't been playing much recently due to school and finals. After next week is done I'm going to try and play a bunch and grind up my skill for the next KTAR.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
  • [2015-06-11 2:41am] dabuz hmmm
  • [2015-06-11 2:41am] dabuz so you're REALLY good at punishing any sort of air movement
  • [2015-06-11 2:41am] dabuz like, disgustingly good
  • [2015-06-11 2:41am] FullMoon Really?
  • [2015-06-11 2:42am] dabuz i feel like going into the air is just asking to be smacked
  • [2015-06-11 2:42am] dabuz even as an evasive tool
  • [2015-06-11 2:42am] FullMoon Funny I often think I let my opponent land too easily
  • [2015-06-11 2:42am] dabuz nooooooooooo
  • [2015-06-11 2:42am] dabuz haha
  • [2015-06-11 2:42am] dabuz because even if i land
  • [2015-06-11 2:42am] dabuz i never get to land safely
Yup. I just got to play some friendlies with Dabuz online.

And I took two games out of his custom Rosalina because he didn't know just how laggy Shifting Shuriken was, once I told him he really steamrolled me.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
i think greninja really beats rosalina badly. he separates luma from her so easily and her floatiness is so bad for her in the matchup. the only time i think greninja would lose, besides just being much worse than the rosalina player, is just getting randomed out by powerful luma attacks.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
The MU is solidly even to me because any competent Rosalina is gonna do their best to prevent Luma from dying. And Luma is so disruptive and Rosalina has so much range when she's around that I can't see it being easy to Greninja at all.

Plus Luma only stays out for a little and Rosalina can just stall if she wants.

Kace Mono

Smash Cadet
My friend today was complaining that Greninja is "Too Safe" and that all his moves are bull****. My friend plays Diddy and Pikachu as his mains and is still complaining about the fact i BARELY beat him.

This is also after a few days of getting my butt kicked repeatedly because i fell out of practice. I started getting back into it and he started complaining.

Does anyone else think Hydro Pump is still broken and that it needs further nerfing? personally i loved it before, and now compared to then its quite mediocre.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Yup. I just got to play some friendlies with Dabuz online.

And I took two games out of his custom Rosalina because he didn't know just how laggy Shifting Shuriken was, once I told him he really steamrolled me.
What aerials did you have the most success with?

My friend today was complaining that Greninja is "Too Safe" and that all his moves are bull****. My friend plays Diddy and Pikachu as his mains and is still complaining about the fact i BARELY beat him.

This is also after a few days of getting my butt kicked repeatedly because i fell out of practice. I started getting back into it and he started complaining.

Does anyone else think Hydro Pump is still broken and that it needs further nerfing? personally i loved it before, and now compared to then its quite mediocre.
If it's mediocre then why would it need more nerfing? And we all know your friend is being a baby, because Greninja is one of the least-safe characters without perfect spacing.

D

Deleted member

I F-Air the hell out of Luma and Rosa. I need to use more B-Air too but I still have to get used to turning around before jumping.
I need to work on my RAR as well, at least from close range. Its easy for me out of a dash, but trying to do :4falco:'s/:4falcon:'s Dthrow to RAR Bair is pretty hard for me since you need to do it instantly. And out of curiosity since :rosalina: is one the characters I struggle with in general (despite maining characters that do quite well at killing Luma), did you play more aggressively or campy?
utilt is one of the best anti-airs in this game. ridiculous move and unless you're mashing airdodge as soon as you get hit by it you're gonna die if you're around 110-130.
This is why I think perfect pivot tilts are amazing for :4greninja:. Besides a retreating poke in Dtilt, sliding a good distance with Utilt is honestly too good. It extends the combo duration of at least Nair -> Utitl by around 20% to set up for falling Uair strings, and even better lets you get an insanely good anti air that sets up for kills from far away. As a :4shulk: player, Speed perfect pivot Utilt is probably the best anti air in the game and keeps characters like :4jigglypuff: from ever landing. With Greninja having a similar anti air option that sets up for kills, Utilt is a move that demands respect by airborne opponents.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I need to work on my RAR as well, at least from close range. Its easy for me out of a dash, but trying to do :4falco:'s/:4falcon:'s Dthrow to RAR Bair is pretty hard for me since you need to do it instantly. And out of curiosity since :rosalina: is one the characters I struggle with in general (despite maining characters that do quite well at killing Luma), did you play more aggressively or campy?
I typically play aggressively though I'm trying to develop my baiting game more as well as trying to mix-up my play more as I find myself going into auto-pilot too often which is really bad for Greninja.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Hey I did you guys a favor. I made Megafox go all greninja at tonight's weekly. It's being streamed and recorded at twitch.com/210smash

Nike.

Smash Hero
It's his official secondary, but he goes a lot of characters in bracket (he goes fox against the top players though). This week he's using greninja all the way since I paid his entry fee lol.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Yay, Megafox will be in Winner's Finals! I like his Greninja a lot.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
megafox actually does have a good greninja, i watched it a few months ago.

Nike.

Smash Hero
He switched off against Jbandrew. Today marked the first tournament he hasn't won since February, he was undefeated in that stretch.

What have I done?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
He switched off against Jbandrew. Today marked the first tournament he hasn't won since February, he was undefeated in that stretch.

What have I done?
Well you made someone use their secondary for a whole tournament and as a result you made that person lose their perfect win streak.

But hey I suppose at least people got to see a good Greninja.

I think. I never saw Megafox play.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
So something I meant to ask, but since Greninja's F-Tilt can trip people,do you guys think there's any practical use to that?

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
Hey there, Greninja mains! I hope you're all good. I came here because I need you guys to enlighten me in one thing.

I've been questioning myself about why Greninja is in this game. Everyone in Smash is an iconic character, and have had their fair share of spotlight over the last years. But let's narrow it down to the Pokémon cast. Pikachu is the mascot of the franchise, Charizard is the second most popular Pokémon, Mewtwo was the first uber legendary and villain of the very first movie, Jigglypuff has become a Smash icon and Lucario was the main character of a movie and Gen 4's poster boy.

But Greninja... Why do you guys think he was chosen? What does he have that made him so special to be developed even before his design was finished? I don't know if he's popular at all in Japan or in America, but to me he's just one more of the bunch. I'm not talking about him as a fighter, as he has a lot of options that make him a unique character. I'm talking about the character itself.

This is in no way a "diss" post, I'm just curious and wanted to ask you guys so maybe you can help me appreciate his inclusion. Thanks guys, take care!

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Greninja was the most popularly chosen Starter in generation 6, mostly.

(Greninja is the coolest Pokemon in Smash i dont care!)

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Hey there, Greninja mains! I hope you're all good. I came here because I need you guys to enlighten me in one thing.

I've been questioning myself about why Greninja is in this game. Everyone in Smash is an iconic character, and have had their fair share of spotlight over the last years. But let's narrow it down to the Pokémon cast. Pikachu is the mascot of the franchise, Charizard is the second most popular Pokémon, Mewtwo was the first uber legendary and villain of the very first movie, Jigglypuff has become a Smash icon and Lucario was the main character of a movie and Gen 4's poster boy.

But Greninja... Why do you guys think he was chosen? What does he have that made him so special to be developed even before his design was finished? I don't know if he's popular at all in Japan or in America, but to me he's just one more of the bunch. I'm not talking about him as a fighter, as he has a lot of options that make him a unique character. I'm talking about the character itself.

This is in no way a "diss" post, I'm just curious and wanted to ask you guys so maybe you can help me appreciate his inclusion. Thanks guys, take care!
Greninja was the most popularly chosen Starter in generation 6, mostly.

(Greninja is the coolest Pokemon in Smash i dont care!)
Greninja was chosen because it was 6th gen not cause of popularity. He was picked when he was just a concept and pokemon XY didnt even come out yet. It just happened to be that way.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
greninja is just a really cool pokemon so they put him in. even before x/y came out in america i'd wanted him in smash. i was just holding my hopes out for him getting into smash 5, but he got in smash 4 and i immediately decided to main him.

Top Bottom