• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I can't remember who it was that said Megaman's Crash Bomber gives you a free counter but oh my goddddd hype

The counter activated just before that lemon hit

Last edited:

Sneak Frog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scrappert
I did manage to snag a Greninja yesterday morning, thankfully. I also grabbed a Jigglypuff and Charizard just a bit earlier since ToysRUs and Target open at different times.

Unfortunately, there were only two Robin and Lucinas pretty much everywhere... So that doesn't bode too well about their availability.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
The amiibo situation continues to be dumb. I have Mega Man and that's all I'm going to go for until there's one for Falco.

And who feels like the metagame for Greninja is way too underdeveloped? Even aside from that there are no really high level players using him in North America, a lot of the discussion on him here and elsewhere boils down to "Greninja has problems in this matchup but his dash grab and up air are good, even matchup." I don't doubt that he has plenty of even matchups, but the explanations for why are often sorely lacking. Which is also part of a problem with Smash Bros discussion in general, but it's like 90% of videos of Greninja are of him losing, so there's nothing to be found there either. Of course, Diddy Kong is pathetically underdeveloped for a character who won 70% of tournaments before the patch, but that's more that there was no reason for anyone to really push Diddy Kong, whereas Greninja continues to be a thoroughly underutilized and undocumented character.

Last edited:

Coffee™

I need it....
The amiibo situation continues to be dumb. I have Mega Man and that's all I'm going to go for until there's one for Falco.

And who feels like the metagame for Greninja is way too underdeveloped? Even aside from that there are no really high level players using him in North America, a lot of the discussion on him here and elsewhere boils down to "Greninja has problems in this matchup but his dash grab and up air are good, even matchup." I don't doubt that he has plenty of even matchups, but the explanations for why are often sorely lacking. Which is also part of a problem with Smash Bros discussion in general, but it's like 90% of videos of Greninja are of him losing, so there's nothing to be found there either. Of course, Diddy Kong is pathetically underdeveloped for a character who won 70% of tournaments before the patch, but that's more that there was no reason for anyone to really push Diddy Kong, whereas Greninja continues to be a thoroughly underutilized and undocumented character.
There is a reason high level players gravitate away from him. At a high level you don't want to have to worry about whiffing moves or not being as precise or consistent as needed to get the job done and that is Greninja in a nutshell. An extremely precise character that is more dependent on player skill than most. The character is for the most part really good and generally safe but the required effort to play him as such does not justify playing him over say...Shiek, Diddy, Pika....etc when all you care about is winning.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
As for playstyle, being zone-centric and defensive is fine with this custom. It's more of a defensive move than offensive in terms of how Greninja generally uses it in neutral. I haven't played around with it long enough to go into detail though. If you're down we can play some games with it later and figure it out.
I'd be fine with messing around with it on Monday or Tuesday (gonna take a small break from Smash on Sunday. Won a 67-person local, so I'm a little worn out haha). Hopefully I should be able to figure out how to incorporate it into my style (as much as I can glean from Wi-Fi play at least haha).

Edit: In Amiibo news, I actually managed to snag two Greninja, which I was incredibly happy about, but I went through quite a bit of hell to get them+Target stuff. Hope everyone that wasn't as fortunate will be able to find one at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
i ordered my greninja amiibo for a dumb price RIP

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I keep watching videos of Greninja play and taking notes. One thing I can't seem to consistently do is Hydro Pump horizontally forward and backwards (left and right) on stage. This is super effective on the edge against some characters I've seen.

Also, tips on using Hydro Pump off-stage to disrupt recoveries? It seems like one's aim would have to be super precise. I rarely get it when I go for it.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
so, I have been really rusty with my greninja. any chance there are some good videos/guide of greninjas BnB/Combos and new found ones?

I played him alot in the 3DS version, but I lost him on the Wii U release :/ really want to go back to him since he is one of my favorite Gen6 pokemon, after Pumpkaboo family

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
so, I have been really rusty with my greninja. any chance there are some good videos/guide of greninjas BnB/Combos and new found ones?

I played him alot in the 3DS version, but I lost him on the Wii U release :/ really want to go back to him since he is one of my favorite Gen6 pokemon, after Pumpkaboo family
Do those even exist? It's tough to find video guides that are up-to-date, let alone any on Greninja. There's a whole thread of combos, but I'd say some of the most important ones are neutral air/ down tilt to forward smash at low percents, obviously fully charged shuriken or dash attack to forward air, sourspot neutral air or down tilt combos into up smash against a number of characters around 80%. He has a lot and you'll need to read and experiment, since some of his combos work at different percents or not at all against various characters, and that includes things as simple as up throw to up air.

And I frequently forget to use short hop forward air. Can just be tough to remember to use it when you're busy using shuriken and rolling around.

Last edited:

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
Anyone here want to do some Greninja matches at some point? I wanna see if I can improve/maybe get tips on my Greninja game... I feel quite good with Greninja, but I'm sure i have some bad habits, and it'd help me a lot to have them pointed out ^-^

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Anyone here want to do some Greninja matches at some point? I wanna see if I can improve/maybe get tips on my Greninja game... I feel quite good with Greninja, but I'm sure i have some bad habits, and it'd help me a lot to have them pointed out ^-^
It'd be best to ask in the skype group. Lots easier and quicker to set up matches there.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Greninja combos are so hard to do ): let alone mid match. I've been practicing all the stuff in Karina's combo video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z78INd80SNo), and my thumb hurts from trying to be so precise lmao. Even still, I feel like I can only get the harder combos down 35% of the time in training mode.

Are others also having these struggles, or do I just need to practice more? Are these combos practical enough to try and learn and implement? Cause some of the longer ones, I don't see any way to use mid-match, especially ones that are % specific.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
they take a while to learn. people in japan that play greninja do them quite often tbh.

% specific combos are a thing with every character and are worth learning.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Greninja combos are so hard to do ): let alone mid match. I've been practicing all the stuff in Karina's combo video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z78INd80SNo), and my thumb hurts from trying to be so precise lmao. Even still, I feel like I can only get the harder combos down 35% of the time in training mode.

Are others also having these struggles, or do I just need to practice more? Are these combos practical enough to try and learn and implement? Cause some of the longer ones, I don't see any way to use mid-match, especially ones that are % specific.
What really helps is to slow down training mode to about 1/2 speed and practice the combo there. Once you land it every time on half speed, try it on 2/3rd speed, and then try it at full speed. It takes some practice yes, but the results are... Well, you've seen the videos.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
So recently I have been trying the side b cancel thing on ZSS's up b, and it has been working some of the time. I find it beneficial to DI like you would regularly but also mash b to try and get a side b out too, it has saved my life a decent amount. Just thought I'd share that.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
So recently I have been trying the side b cancel thing on ZSS's up b, and it has been working some of the time. I find it beneficial to DI like you would regularly but also mash b to try and get a side b out too, it has saved my life a decent amount. Just thought I'd share that.
What way do you DI that move? I always DI up and then opposite the direction Zamus is facing.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
The dead zone on Greninja's forward smash is so stupid. Tired of entirely deserved forward smashes missing because somebody had no idea what they were doing.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
its really pretty. i have to try so hard not to open it.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Does anyone need help with mario? I have replays and wondering if anyone needs guidance. If so, I'll record them now.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I don't have anyone I play with who regularly uses Mario when we play, so I have no idea.

I don't expect to acquire any amiibos, all I have is Mega Man. I just have a cheap Greninja figure instead.

Top Bottom