• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
That's probably the reason. Dark type being called "Evil" type in Japan and all.
Well gee, Japan sure is racist. : P It considers Dark instantly Evil, and originally named Metal Face and Dark Pit as "Black Face" and "Black Pit". XD

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I give up on beating R.O.B, there's just no way for me to handle him

Just got 3-stocked by one that combo'd me to oblivion with gyros and stuff while I couldn't do anything to strike back. This is going to be that one MU that nobody has much trouble with and yet I'm completely helpless at.

Frustrating.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
I give up on beating R.O.B, there's just no way for me to handle him

Just got 3-stocked by one that combo'd me to oblivion with gyros and stuff while I couldn't do anything to strike back. This is going to be that one MU that nobody has much trouble with and yet I'm completely helpless at.

Frustrating.
Curious, who was the ROB?

Also, I have a bit of trouble with ROBs as well.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Someone called RaffiEx, I looked at his profile and saw that he played R.O.B so I decided to go and defeat and then I got wrecked beyond recognisation.
Ohh. Raffi? Do you know of that 1600+ worldwide online tournament? He placed 3rd in that, so....

Last edited:

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
... Oh. So I got destroyed by a real pro then. That's... Slightly better.

Still not going anywhere near a R.O.B player in that ladder though, at least not in ranked matches.
Speaking of the ladder, I've really got to play more matches on there. I need to make up for all the ranked losses I made for Greninja back when I was starting out. .-.

Edit: Ouch. Played an endless friendly on there and it was quite a wake up call. So much more fine tuning I need to do.. Not playing Smash for like 2 weeks didn't exactly help either.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I wonder if I only struggle this much with R.O.B because it's Wi-Fi so I can't react to him as well as I probably would otherwise.

But still, my god that Nair. >_>

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
That's very likely - as well as the fact that Raffi knows exactly how to wifi abuse. Not discrediting his skill as a player, but some characters are simply better equipped in lag than others. Greninja imo, is not a wifi character, so we have to work even harder than offline (where tight inputs are more likely to come out accurately).

Gyro is silly in lag, along with various projectiles in general. If you can manage to shield it, you can quickly pick it up with a dash attack (mix-ups). From what I've seen, Greninja can do some interesting attempted follow-ups from various Gyro tosses. Yesterday I did something that looked like a DACUS right after throwing the Gyro down... wished I had saved it <.<

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would really like to see Greninja in Pokken Tournament just to see how Greninja would translate in a type of set up like that.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Me too. I'd love to play this game. I hope they confirm more Water Pokémon, like Swampert or Milotic. Does anyone have a link to the trailer?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Honestly Greninja already fits with the gameplay style of a known Tekken character to an extent (Raven I believe, I know Tekken has a ninja in it) so it's already something that can be used as sort of a base and makes thing a lot easier, I'd be surprised if he didn't show up.

But if he doesn't, Lucario looks super fun to play with.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Honestly Greninja already fits with the gameplay style of a known Tekken character to an extent (Raven I believe, I know Tekken has a ninja in it) so it's already something that can be used as sort of a base and makes thing a lot easier, I'd be surprised if he didn't show up.

But if he doesn't, Lucario looks super fun to play with.
Me too #GreninjaForTekken

I'm really curious to know how many characters will be playable, and what Pokémon they'll be. I mean, there's literally over 600 Pokémon to choose from, so we can only guess :p

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon

Going from this pic, I imagine the roster will be at most about 21 characters, seeing as I think the most that can fit in there are three rows with seven mons in each. Not sure if there's room for a fourth row.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
That's possible, unless they resize the character slots on the menu as more characters get added over time. Or there may even be 'arrow's on the sides of the menu where you can go to the next page of characters, though I doubt it.

Looking at Hyrule Warrior's character select page, the layout of the menu kept changing as they added more DLC characters. Which brings me to think DLC would be very likely for this game if it was to be released in the Wii U.

Hopefully they'll have at least one Pokémon of each type. What do you guys think would be some cool Pokémon for the other types? They don't all have to be part Fighting type either

*Edit*

Guys, more screenshots and gameplay videos can be found at our front page now at: http://smashboards.com/threads/new-characters-modes-for-pokken-tournament-revealed.387995/

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Cs4L1JALY&x-yt-ts=1421914688&x-yt-cl=84503534

This is
the only trailer I've seen for the game so far. Lemme dig up and see if they have anything else

Ohhh I found this too showing some gameplay of the characters: (quality is a little meh tho)

Pikachu's victory looks he's imitating Yoshi.
Machamp seriously reminds me of Guts Man.

Going from this pic, I imagine the roster will be at most about 21 characters, seeing as I think the most that can fit in there are three rows with seven mons in each. Not sure if there's room for a fourth row.
Look at the things on the right! There seems to be levels for the Pokemon, along
with a tag called "standard"? And the diamond I guess is showing stats like speed, attack and whatnot?
Maybe parts of it can increase with levels?

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Pikachu's victory looks he's imitating Yoshi.
Machamp seriously reminds me of Guts Man.

Look at the things on the right! There seems to be levels for the Pokemon, along
with a tag called "standard"? And the diamond I guess is showing stats like speed, attack and whatnot?
Maybe parts of it can increase with levels?
Gardevoir's 'taunt' or victory pose/intro thingy where she bows down a bit reminds me of one of Rosalina's taunts.

Or was it one of Rosalina's idle animations?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Trainers confirmed in Pokken, look on NintendoLife. Also, remember that 3D Pokemon teaser
way back when? Blaziken also confirmed.

Edit: More news, all this is straight from Serebii (but found on EventHubs):

You can use support Pokémon to help you out in various matches. The field is full 3D and allows for fighting and avoiding as you see fit. When you get close to a Pokémon, then it will tighten up.

• You press the L button to activate your Support Pokémon. You can also activate various powerful moves including Mega Evolution in combat.

• The backgrounds of the stages are active, with Pokémon and trainers moving around and interacting, such as Volcarona following a cyclist.

• There are various modes in the game: Single Play, National Battle and In-Store Battle. There's also a Tutorial to play through.

• There are location tests going on in Japan on January 30th, 31st and February 1st. It costs 100¥ to play. Namco Umeda Store and Maco Razona Kawasaki will have online play available.

• 200 Bandai/Namco Passport cards will be given to players each day once they fill out the gameplay survey. Lucario on the 30th, Gardevoir on the 31st, Pikachu on February 1st. Machamp card will also be given at the Japan Amusement Expo on February 14th to the 500 players who fill out the survey.

• The buttons are as follows: L activates Support, R Guards, A uses Pokémon attacks, B jumps, X is a weak attack and Y is a strong attack. Using the D-Pad and the buttons gives you various different moves. Fill a gauge to unleash Resonance Gauge for extra damage and Burst Attacks (and Mega Evolution)

So there are assist Pokemon. The ones I spotted were Emolga, Lapras, Fennekin and Snivy.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
So guys, I had a few fights where I found out d-throw can be a pretty good move. Like, it doesn't combo into anything, but if you can bait an airdodge, you can do a lot out of it. Like d-throw -> Up-Smash at high percentages (I've done it on Jigglypuff who had a high enough % to get KO'd by it.), d-throw -> Shadow Sneak, d-throw -> f-smash at early % depending on if the opponent DIs badly and also d-throw > dash attack -> f-air.

None of it is guaranteed as it requires the opponent to mess up, but from my experience people seem to airdodge out of muscle memory simply because of how every single Greninja uses up-throw -> up-air to rack up damage, so mix-ups with d-throw can really catch people offguard. It's also good for keeping up-throw fresh in case you ever need to use it for killing.

I also think d-throw -> Perfect Pivot up-tilt -> Up Smash/Up-air depending on % is possible, but I don't have the ability to do PP in order to test it.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Here's to hoping Greninja's playable in Pokken.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I also think d-throw -> Perfect Pivot up-tilt -> Up Smash/Up-air depending on % is possible, but I don't have the ability to do PP in order to test it.
It doesn't look like it works to me, though it's hard to tell where the hitstun ends on 3ds but from what I remember dthrow's hitstun was really bad.

Personally I'm of the mind that it isn't really useful for anything except maybe low percent jab locks, but if you've found something that works with it then more power to you.

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
Just got a clutch win against a Falcon on Anther's ladder--I don't know if y'all know this, but Greninja's Utilt will hit opponents on the side platforms of Battlefield if you are on the ground. I surprised him with a U-tilt through the platform and finished the last stock with a truly combo'd double-jump Uair.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Soooo, do you guys know that one song. "Team America" or something? Ya know, where it's all like
"America! **** yeah!"

Ya know, that one?
Yeah, I made a Greninja parody of that.

So, naturally, it has cursing in it, thus I won't embed it. Giving ample warning should be fine, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq_hak11oew

It's really bad. xD

Coffee™

I need it....
It doesn't look like it works to me, though it's hard to tell where the hitstun ends on 3ds but from what I remember dthrow's hitstun was really bad.

Personally I'm of the mind that it isn't really useful for anything except maybe low percent jab locks, but if you've found something that works with it then more power to you.
Dthrow to PP Uptilt is definitely a combo. Only works at really low percents though.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Dthrow to PP Uptilt is definitely a combo.
Got a percent range I can mess with it at? I'm not sure if I'm just trying at the wrong percents or if I'm just really bad at this lol

EDIT: If I dthrow a training dummy offstage they can double jump before I can even get a buffered ftilt out, which theoretically would come out as fast as a perfectly executed pp utilt. I assume the landing/knockdown is what makes it combo which is why I'm not getting it to show up as a combo in training no matter how fast I do it, which would explain my confusion.

Last edited:

joaoTforce

Smash Cadet
NNID
joaoTforce
3DS FC
3711-7595-3873
Soooo, do you guys know that one song. "Team America" or something? Ya know, where it's all like
"America! **** yeah!"

Ya know, that one?
Yeah, I made a Greninja parody of that.

So, naturally, it has cursing in it, thus I won't embed it. Giving ample warning should be fine, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq_hak11oew

It's really bad. xD
You really do love the ninja frog don't you? haha, I tip my metaphorical fedora to you sir, I wouldn't have the guts to do something like that. I'm just too shy XD

BlinkIV

Avenger
So..finally entered another tournament. Lost to Aerolink's Diddy in winners. It was going to be a close game 2, as I was making the comeback. But I missed the DI on D-Throw Up-air and he took it.

Lost to Mook offstream in losers. I actually tried to input a dropshield F-Smash but..The cursed hitboxes attacked. His Pikachu went directly through it and killed me with Up-smash.

..the pain.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
So..finally entered another tournament. Lost to Aerolink's Diddy in winners. It was going to be a close game 2, as I was making the comeback. But I missed the DI on D-Throw Up-air and he took it.

Lost to Mook offstream in losers. I actually tried to input a dropshield F-Smash but..The cursed hitboxes attacked. His Pikachu went directly through it and killed me with Up-smash.

..the pain.
Ow man, I feel your pain. I never lost a game due to wonky hitboxes before though I don't think, but missed DI is always a pain.

And my mobile not allowing me to actually type something before making me send the reply is also painful >_>

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny

..the pain.
I opened the stream at the start of your set with Aerolink.
That bair gimp in game 2 was delicious.

Whiffed fsmashes are the worst, I feel your pain. ;;

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592

..the pain.
Aerolink not using Palutena anymore?

Sorry to hear about your whiffed smash costing you - I think if I had been watching that stream, or even being there at the tourney, I would have been flinching as if I had been the one playing. Greninja's smashes seem like such a high risk/mediocre reward move, that I've been considering trying tilt sticking instead.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Is it bad that I'm STILL trying to decide between Lucario and Greninja? I've been told that I should just wait and see how Mewtwo plays first, since he's a definite main, but there's been nothing on him so far and I'm growing impatient with trying to choose.

Top Bottom