• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

Spirst

Speaking of locations, any other Pangaen Greninjas here? You would think there would be more given the size of the place.

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
You're Brazilian? Whoa.

Which state do you live in?
Mhm, yeah I was born in Rio de Janeiro and moved to the U.S. when I was like 6. I've lived mostly in Texas (and currently), but I've also moved quite a bit to other states/countries over time. I consider myself more Americanized than Brazilianish, but I definitely have a chunk of both, mostly due to my mom's influence.

How about you guys?

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Ah, I see. I live in Rio de Janeiro myself. I never really went out of Brazil myself, but I'm planning on going to the US at the end of this year. I'm currently in a vacation in Ceará, which is my mom's homeland.

It kinda sucks that Brazil doesn't have a very strong Smash scene, it really makes it harder for me to improve.
From what I've seen of others, many Brazilians who move to the U.S., especially if they're not a kid anymore, get homesick very quickly and want to go back to Brazil. But I guess the same could be said for many countries. Although the U.S. has a mix of various cultures, the standard American culture is very different from that of a standard Brazilian. It really does take some time to adapt, which, like I said, is easier to when you move to a new country at a young age.

And yeah, it really is a shame that Brazil doesn't have a noticeable Smash scene. I would love to see Brazil get some representation. I know this is a bit of a stretch, but have you considered starting a scene yourself? Or perhaps you can see what Zero did, being from Chile, and becoming a very well-known Smasher. I think a huge part of it too is getting the support, time, and money to do all this.

Last edited:

Coffee™

I need it....
How many people actually play tilt-stick Greninja? I'm deeply considering it, but at the same time i'm apprehensive towards it since it'll be a bit slower performing smash attacks.
"this greninja on for glory is the goat, perfect pivoting and **** LOL so fun so far still playing him" - Allly

This guy...first thing on my FB feed this morning...lol

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
From what I've seen of others, many Brazilians who move to the U.S., especially if they're not a kid anymore, get homesick very quickly and want to go back to Brazil. But I guess the same could be said for many countries. Although the U.S. has a mix of various cultures, the standard American culture is very different from that of a standard Brazilian. It really does take some time to adapt, which, like I said, is easier to when you move to a new country at a young age.

And yeah, it really is a shame that Brazil doesn't have a noticeable Smash scene. I would love to see Brazil get some representation. I know this is a bit of a stretch, but have you considered starting a scene yourself? Or perhaps you can see what Zero did, being from Chile, and becoming a very well-known Smasher. I think a huge part of it too is getting the support, time, and money to do all this.
Oh no, I'm not going to move to the US, I'm just going to make a trip there.

And I have no idea of how to start a scene. I probably won't have the time for it and I certainly don't have the Money, I'm only 18 man =P

I certainly would be willing to make an effort to improve the Smash scene in Brazil, but I don't think I have the means to it. It's hard to get well-known when you can't attend tournaments.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Oh no, I'm not going to move to the US, I'm just going to make a trip there.

And I have no idea of how to start a scene. I probably won't have the time for it and I certainly don't have the Money, I'm only 18 man =P

I certainly would be willing to make an effort to improve the Smash scene in Brazil, but I don't think I have the means to it. It's hard to get well-known when you can't attend tournaments.
Some people start tourney scenes pretty young, but I think in Zero's case, he had financial support from his family, and likely earnings from local tournies. Cause I mean, this guy travelled internationally on a somewhat regular basis, and it's certainly not cheap to do that.

If you would like, I can ask my own region's local tourney host how he started the scene here, or tips he might have. I think gathering a group of people that live in your area would be one place to start... tricky part is finding them. If I was living in Brazil right now, I'd be totally down to start something.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I was born and still live in Canada, so there isn't a strong smash scene. FG was a blessing for me since I finally have consistent human opponents that were my skill level. I've improved tremendously since then. I'm too young to go to tournaments since I'm only 16.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Some people start tourney scenes pretty young, but I think in Zero's case, he had financial support from his family, and likely earnings from local tournies. Cause I mean, this guy travelled internationally on a somewhat regular basis, and it's certainly not cheap to do that.

If you would like, I can ask my own region's local tourney host how he started the scene here, or tips he might have. I think gathering a group of people that live in your area would be one place to start... tricky part is finding them. If I was living in Brazil right now, I'd be totally down to start something.
Well, I know there's a group of people that live close to my area, I found out that they gather to play just before I had to go on a trip so I haven't been able to attend to their meetings yet, but it's something.

I can't see me being a very good tournament host, but hey, I guess learning doesn't hurt. If you could ask him that would be great.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Well, I know there's a group of people that live close to my area, I found out that they gather to play just before I had to go on a trip so I haven't been able to attend to their meetings yet, but it's something.

I can't see me being a very good tournament host, but hey, I guess learning doesn't hurt. If you could ask him that would be great.
Yeah it's definitely something, and even if they're not very good, if they have a strong desire to improve and become competitive at the game, then that's what will keep the community strong. Plus, we all gotta start somewhere, right?

I just asked my friend, who is one of the TOs in my region, and I'll let you know when he responds.

*edit*

Alright @ FullMoon FullMoon , I asked him, and this is what he said:

1. Churches. Charge a 5$ entry fee and then donate it to the church. If its a money hungry church, they will bend over backwards to do this.
2. School gyms. Charge a 5$ entry fee and donate it to a school club.
3. GameStops (or whatever they have in Brazil).
4. Community centers. These are usually found in parks or subdivisions (structured neighborhoods).
These^ are all free or very low cost venue ideas. More expensive ones are hotel conference rooms, event centers and more.

As for "how" to start the scene.

Here is the Central/South America boards on Smashboards: http://smashboards.com/forums/central-and-south-america.127/ he can start a thread/post or PM people there.

I hate recommending this because its SUPER unorganized but tell him to use facebook. Here is the smash 4 group https://www.facebook.com/groups/SuperSB4/ it has 6k members.

I also recommend getting in touch with Zero https://www.facebook.com/ChileZeRo he is from Chile and has connections with the South America world. He could direct him to a large base of players so that he could find smashers.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Little Board Update:
  • PokeNav Directory Added.
  • Sticky Order is now based on order in Directory.
  • 6IVHasty, Lavani's Greninja Frame Data Thread, has been stickied. The Mysterious Arsenal will be updated with the exact numeric values of attacks once the Frame Data thread is completed.
  • Mocha is now in charge of the Greninja Video Thread.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Yeah it's definitely something, and even if they're not very good, if they have a strong desire to improve and become competitive at the game, then that's what will keep the community strong. Plus, we all gotta start somewhere, right?

I just asked my friend, who is one of the TOs in my region, and I'll let you know when he responds.

*edit*

Alright @ FullMoon FullMoon , I asked him, and this is what he said:

1. Churches. Charge a 5$ entry fee and then donate it to the church. If its a money hungry church, they will bend over backwards to do this.
2. School gyms. Charge a 5$ entry fee and donate it to a school club.
3. GameStops (or whatever they have in Brazil).
4. Community centers. These are usually found in parks or subdivisions (structured neighborhoods).
These^ are all free or very low cost venue ideas. More expensive ones are hotel conference rooms, event centers and more.

As for "how" to start the scene.

Here is the Central/South America boards on Smashboards: http://smashboards.com/forums/central-and-south-america.127/ he can start a thread/post or PM people there.

I hate recommending this because its SUPER unorganized but tell him to use facebook. Here is the smash 4 group https://www.facebook.com/groups/SuperSB4/ it has 6k members.

I also recommend getting in touch with Zero https://www.facebook.com/ChileZeRo he is from Chile and has connections with the South America world. He could direct him to a large base of players so that he could find smashers.
I guess I'm going to be forced to create a facebook now.

I'll see what I can do about it, I still need to see if I'll have the time to dedicate to something like that and I'm not exactly a very organized person myself.

Raffi815

Smash Cadet
gee thanks mocha lmao.

And fullmoon you have to work on approaching ROB more. GGs tho

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
gee thanks mocha lmao.

And fullmoon you have to work on approaching ROB more. GGs tho
[12:06:01 AM] Kyle (eT, Elu, elusiveTranscendent): Rooooboooot
[12:06:13 AM] Kyle (eT, Elu, elusiveTranscendent): Raffi just randomly posted on the Greninja social board what do I doo
[12:06:42 AM] Robot: bow to his superiority

Well, hello, Raffi. o_o I've heard a bit about you. What brings you here to our humble pond?
Edit:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand he presumably went away before I said anything.

Oh well.
===========================================================
New profile picture, whoo.

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Apparently Frogadier and Eevee are supports in Pokken. Hopefully that doesn't screw Greninja over from getting in, as Greninja would be perfect and unique for that game. Here's the manual though:
pokken-manual.jpg

Last edited:

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Apparently Frogadier and Eevee are supports in Pokken. Hopefully that doesn't screw Greninja over from getting in, as Greninja would be perfect and unique for that game. Here's the manual though.:
View attachment 37335
Uh oh. Frogadier being a support does sound a bit shifty. Here's to hoping that Greninja is still in though.. .-.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Uh oh. Frogadier being a support does sound a bit shifty. Here's to hoping that Greninja is still in though.. .-.
I don't believe Greninja will be cut out. So far, we don't have any ninja-esque characters, and of course Greninja would fit that bill. I honestly feel all smash pokemon should be in Pokken, even Jigglypuff, as they obviously fit into fighting games as they're already in Smash (though I think Mewtwo and Greninja fit the most out of all of them).

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Suicune still seems like an oddball pick to me. I mean, I love Suicune but it doesn't have the kind of frame that makes me think "Yes, this would be great in a fighting game."

Personally I'm hoping for Breloom or Mienshao.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Suicune still seems like an oddball pick to me. I mean, I love Suicune but it doesn't have the kind of frame that makes me think "Yes, this would be great in a fighting game."

I'm fine with oddball picks, it's just I feel that the 6 in Smash 4 (We have 2 now) should be transferred from 1 fighting game to another. I mean, they can't take them directly out of smash, of course, but they kinda are the faces of fighting (I guess). After that, then I feel anything else should be game. My personal picks after that would be: Deoxys (changes forms in battle), Darkrai (focuses on stunning enemies), Zoroark (can take the appearance of their opponent), Magikarp (for the lols XD), the Hitmons (As they just make sense), and perhaps Scizor (would likely be a slow, glass canon perhaps?)...I don't really know after that point, that's all I could come up with, but whatever else is fine.

Last edited:

Spirst

Suicune caught me off guard but honestly, I really like that. I was worried the game would be saturated with fighting types/bipedal Pokemon so seeing water-type quadrupedal Pokemon in the game is great. Now I just wonder if, Pikachu aside (since Raichu doesn't exist), there will be any not fully evolved Pokemon like Kadabra or Haunter.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
@ Marilink Marilink does the U of M monthly use customs? I'm guessing no from what I saw in your set against Triple R, but I figured it's worth asking.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Omigosh, I just watch aMSa play Greninja and he is amazing! I am not worthy!:eek:

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
@ Marilink Marilink does the U of M monthly use customs? I'm guessing no from what I saw in your set against Triple R, but I figured it's worth asking.
I wish we would, but we're not exactly trailblazers in the MN scene. I'd love to bust out Shifting Shuriken in a tournament.

Edit: So I also play Melee very frequently, maining Doc. My teammate and I got 5th in Melee doubles at this Monthly, and those videos were recently uploaded as well--including this pretty slick comeback on the unorthodox Kongo Jungle counterpick.

Not Greninja-related, but that's what this thread is for, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom