• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
So you guys think Rosalina would be a good secondary to complement Greninja? I dunno how her MUs are but I think she has less trouble with characters that usually give us more trouble?

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
I won a match on a tournament stream todaaaay. I feel achieved. Yeaaah!

But that ended up being my only win and I lost twice and got knocked out of the tournament. :U

I need to train mooore. I've been slacking, but darn it. I want to actually win twice. >:[

Coffee™

I need it....
Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I won a match on a tournament stream todaaaay. I feel achieved. Yeaaah!

But that ended up being my only win and I lost twice and got knocked out of the tournament. :U

I need to train mooore. I've been slacking, but darn it. I want to actually win twice. >:[
Good stuff! Got any videos? Which characters gave you trouble?

MartinAW4

Smash Journeyman
I think I'll buy a capture card at some point but I'm gonna guess for now the answer is no unless you want to see cell phone videos. lol

Figured I'd start uploading a few matches here and there on this channel, just to showcase some stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcZ4AjB7HdKJ_bA9neOvqWw/videos
I don`t care about the quality of the videos as long as the gameplay is good. I`d gladly watch cell phone videos if they were from a Greninja ditto between some of the best players from this board. There is a huge lack of good Greninja videos at the moment, so all new contributions are appreciated.

I just watched both of your FG videos and I already noticed several things that I can improve in my gameplay. What I liked the most was the fluidity of your movement and the way you used Uairs and Nairs to prevent Mario from landing once you got him into the air. I normally only use Uairs for that, but you knew exactly when Nair was the better choice.
I`m off to practice and I`m looking forward to more videos from you. Also if you`ve got any tips for practicing my movement and making it more fluid, that would be great.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I think I'll buy a capture card at some point but I'm gonna guess for now the answer is no unless you want to see cell phone videos. lol

Figured I'd start uploading a few matches here and there on this channel, just to showcase some stuff.
Your movement was amazing! How do you do those SHFF so well? I use X and move forward, but use approached so well. I one have a 3DS so keep that in mind.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Oh geez, Coffee, some of the stuff you did are things I never really thought of doing. I kinda want to have some matches against you someday.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997

Hooo boy. Those were some nice videos to watch.

I need to get back into my smash studies. ehehe
Good stuff! Got any videos? Which characters gave you trouble?
Uhh, yeah, there's a video. I felt so off game though. .-. I messed up a lot of shuriken b-reversals. I can do those but bwaaah.

Tournaments are so nerve wracking. ;A;
Here it is regardless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuLz8USilG0

Just by watching this, I can tell that I'm using dair waaay too much. Used some inadvisable smash attacks too.

I then lost to a Ness in Winners Round 2 and then a Mario in losers.

Definitely need more practice with those two match ups. I just need to get better in general, really. .-.
----------------------------
You know what'd be cool? A Greninja skype group. It'd help organize matches with all of you.

Coffee™

I need it....
I just watched both of your FG videos and I already noticed several things that I can improve in my gameplay. What I liked the most was the fluidity of your movement and the way you used Uairs and Nairs to prevent Mario from landing once you got him into the air. I normally only use Uairs for that, but you knew exactly when Nair was the better choice.
Yeah, Nair has a wider hitbox so it's useful for situations where you're unsure about Uair. It also launches the opponent up to continue with the juggle.

I`m off to practice and I`m looking forward to more videos from you. Also if you`ve got any tips for practicing my movement and making it more fluid, that would be great.
Set lv 9 cpu to run and practice spacing attacks against them. It helps a lot with learning your opponent's evasive options and what your character's options are for dealing with those..... as long as you don't
blindly flail after the cpu just trying to catch them xD.

Your movement was amazing! How do you do those SHFF so well? I use X and move forward, but use approached so well. I one have a 3DS so keep that in mind.
Just practice, nothing special.

Oh geez, Coffee, some of the stuff you did are things I never really thought of doing. I kinda want to have some matches against you someday.
Sure, np and I've still got a ton of stuff to work on. Gotta get my Pika ready for Apex though. After that I'll be able to focus a bit more on the ninja.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592

Really enjoyed watching these. It's a bit unsettling how similar we both play, except that you are a lot more comfortable and fluid with your moves, and you make much better usage of Nair than I do (and more). I look forward to seeing more from you, keep it up!

Hooo boy. Those were some nice videos to watch.
I need to get back into my smash studies. ehehe
Uhh, yeah, there's a video. I felt so off game though. .-. I messed up a lot of shuriken b-reversals. I can do those but bwaaah.
Tournaments are so nerve wracking. ;A;
Here it is regardless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuLz8USilG0
Just by watching this, I can tell that I'm using dair waaay too much. Used some inadvisable smash attacks too.
I then lost to a Ness in Winners Round 2 and then a Mario in losers.
Definitely need more practice with those two match ups. I just need to get better in general, really. .-.
----------------------------
You know what'd be cool? A Greninja skype group. It'd help organize matches with all of you.
Tournaments are nerve wracking, I totally sympathize. Good matches though, especially when you pulled through games 2 and 3. Yeah other than your b reversals facing the opposite direction, nothing really obvious stood out to me that you did wrong. Greninja's smashes are laggy, so using it requires such high commitment sometimes.

Don't let your losses dissuade you, and use it as a learning experience. Something that I find that helps me in tournies is to play a ton of friendlies there, that way you get more comfortable in general with people being around you, watching, and more.

Last edited:

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Who would win in a good fight? Greninja or Villager? oh what the heck am I talking about, Villager will of course win due to spamming slingshots and projectiles and canceling out Greninja's projectiles
QQ I MISS THE OLD GRENINJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
PLEASE BUFF IN DECREASE LAG SAKURAI

Also, I seen this nifty Greninja user shorthopping while spamming fair, he was spacing against a good Rosalina player, and he was doing reverse water shuriken(turn stick quickly around)(I like to call it that since it can mix up peoples thoughts on his projectiles)
also, does anyone else feel like the word "gimp" suits more for when you trick people? like "gimping" people with moves like Sonic's spindash, spindashing, jumping above them, then using the homing attack, just a thought but gimp suits tricking more.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Actually I don't think Greninja loses to Villager, Villager really can't do much when Greninja is right in his face and it's not very hard for us to approach either. Villager's grab also means we're safer when hitting his shield than with other characters and since Lloyid and shuriken cancel each other we don't need to worry much about it either.

The slingshot is annoying, yeah, but it's also pretty predictable and Villager can't win just by spamming it non-stop since it's still not that hard for us to get in his face, that's from my experience against them at least. Aren't Villager's smashes pretty laggy too?

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Actually I don't think Greninja loses to Villager, Villager really can't do much when Greninja is right in his face and it's not very hard for us to approach either. Villager's grab also means we're safer when hitting his shield than with other characters and since Lloyid and shuriken cancel each other we don't need to worry much about it either.

The slingshot is annoying, yeah, but it's also pretty predictable and Villager can't win just by spamming it non-stop since it's still not that hard for us to get in his face, that's from my experience against them at least. Aren't Villager's smashes pretty laggy too?
Tell that to Villagers shorthop dair, Greninja has a chance against Villager actually, but Villager's moves actually counters alotof Greninja's, not gonna say the full(just my opinion lmao but if there is a move where Greninja can go against a Villager, just quote), but slingshot stops all of his attacks(like always on other characters), uair for Greninja's dair, dair for Greninja's uair(lol), and planting a tree just makes it more worse, it gets you nervous to if you go to that edge Villager could then cut the tree down or mindgame you, pocketing water shuriken, nair on Greninja's dair, basically Villager's uair and dair aren't counterable, not Link's dair,Toon Link's dair(im not sure), Bowser's body small and shell slam thing, etc, but that's what makes Villager annoying to go up against.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Greninja's up-smash has more range than Villager's down-air so it's incredibly risky to try it because if you happen to be a bit too high you're going to get hit by it and possibly risk getting killed. Trees aren't much of an issue because nothing really forces Greninja to go near Villager, he can just wait the tree out since Villager sending Lloyds is just going to get them canceled by shurikens and depending of where the tree was planted Villager's slingshot can go that far. Also I'm pretty sure SH D-air from Villager can be countered with a jab out of shield.

I've also had the hilarious situation happen where a Villager tried to predict a up-air from me after I threw him up and hit me with d-air just for me to use Substitute and KO him when my up-air probably wouldn't.

Also Villager pocketing shurikens is only an issue if you charge it (which you won't), otherwise Greninja can keep poking Villager with fast projectiles with more range than his slingshot with no consequence.

I'm still not convinced Villager has an advantage against us. It's even at worst.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I agree with FullMoon. Greninja has so many advantages over Villager. HIs speed allows him to close space easily, and Water Shuriken can pressure Villager since it's faster than most of, if not all of, his projectiles. He has overall better range as well, so Villager will be forced to give Greninja stage control. He even has trouble edge guarding Greninja since Hydro Pump launches Greninja so far. While Greninja has an advantage over most zoning characters like Robin, Duck Hunt, and Zelda, but it's just so much worse for Villager since he relies so much on his zoning ability. Killager is a completely different story however.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
On a completely different topic:

This happened
There's a windbox on KO Punch five frames before the punch hits (off the top of my head; may be inaccurate)

It's funny because the last four times I've had a Mac attempt to KO Punch me I was moving away from them, and the windbox shoved me off the side of the stage, saving me from the punch. I wonder if it's actually a consistent way to avoid the punch.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
So I grabbed Little Mac about five frames away from death, good to know! =P

I actually won that match but I probably wouldn't if I hadn't gotten lucky with that grab.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Greninja's up-smash has more range than Villager's down-air so it's incredibly risky to try it because if you happen to be a bit too high you're going to get hit by it and possibly risk getting killed. Trees aren't much of an issue because nothing really forces Greninja to go near Villager, he can just wait the tree out since Villager sending Lloyds is just going to get them canceled by shurikens and depending of where the tree was planted Villager's slingshot can go that far. Also I'm pretty sure SH D-air from Villager can be countered with a jab out of shield.

I've also had the hilarious situation happen where a Villager tried to predict a up-air from me after I threw him up and hit me with d-air just for me to use Substitute and KO him when my up-air probably wouldn't.

Also Villager pocketing shurikens is only an issue if you charge it (which you won't), otherwise Greninja can keep poking Villager with fast projectiles with more range than his slingshot with no consequence.

I'm still not convinced Villager has an advantage against us. It's even at worst.
Then I guess it wont be settled unless a good Villager and a good Greninja 1v1
but then again, there's that tier list even if its inaccurate.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Basically it's a community voted list that involves votes from a lot of people that don't know what they're talking about, and the resultant list is usually either a popularity contest or just flat-out BS. I remember Labrys being #1 on their P4A list at one point.

This

-Hides from Lavani-
well

at least Lucina isn't above Marth anymore

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Okay. So there is no structure and is negatively influenced by over saturation of incompetent voters. Seems reasonable.

Last edited:

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
lmao I meant the next tier list when it comes out, the "real" one like the one from SSBB where MK was SS tier

Also, Ness lower than Greninja and Captain Falcon lower than Sonic? PFFFTTT

I always thought of this, the lower the character on a "OFFICIAL" tier list, the less played, meaning, you will barely see the character online, and not to mention they are powerful and are combo beasts, im seeing a increase of Donkey Kong users on FG, has anyone else seen more?...

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I can probably post a replay of me playing but I have a bit of perfectionist problem where I won't record anything unless I can get it a good quality, which means I basically refuse to record a replay with my cellphone.

I'm just a weird ninja.

D

Deleted member

What's the point of tier lists anyways? Everyone has different opinions on every character. lmao.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Tier lists are fun. I love seeing the variety. I'm sure we all know it will be determined by results. APEX will be a big factor on that.

#BasedDiddy

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Tier lists are fun. I love seeing the variety. I'm sure we all know it will be determined by results. APEX will be a big factor on that.

#BasedDiddy
Tier lists are awesome since you can showoff the "lowest" tier character against the highest and make people go nuts lmao

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
well

at least Lucina isn't above Marth anymore
Good, less people will use Lucina and switch to Marth (who seems rather underrepresented). This also means I can use Lucina as one of my mains and feel a little more unique about doing such...it didn't stop me in the first place, it's just a nice feeling I suppose. :p

Top Bottom