• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Plumber's Crack - Mario General

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Denti is throwing free money at everyone! if you click the competing button on the Tourneylocator event page, he will offer you a $5 mm for free in brawl or PM. if you win you get $5. if you lose, you lose nothing! pretty awesome stuff to get the word out

Dakpo

Smash Lord
yo fellow marios! im getting strong interest in my tourney in April and i just want anyone who is willing to come to do it! i got Denti confirmed. he will most likely bring Infinity,Oracle,Sethlon, and Dakpo. Strong Bad is even considering to come all hte way from MO. i got interest from NM and ARK as well. im gonna put OK back on the map and i want you guys to help if you can!

p.s. why has there not been more talk about mario? he is so good. rarely has BAD matchups

EDIT
whos down for wifi? no more after may so we gotta get it on asap lol

http://smashboards.com/threads/apr-...ct-tloc-denti-norman-ok.347966/#post-16333821
Yup, Im going

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
What so you guys do against Lucas? Like what I normally do, is just be more aggressive than he is. Lately, I haven't been playing so often and I had trouble being more aggressive so I wasn't to sure on what to do.

EDIT: so what do you do when you can't out pressure him?

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
That sounds about right to me, Lucas has amazing pressure, but he doesn't really seem to be able to deal with pressure well himself.

GeZ

Smash Lord
It's funny but people really don't mention the utility of Mario's Up B for stage spiking. ****'s incredible. also Bair on tether recoveries is so mean, I love it.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
What so you guys do against Lucas? Like what I normally do, is just be more aggressive than he is. Lately, I haven't been playing so often and I had trouble being more aggressive so I wasn't to sure on what to do.

EDIT: so what do you do when you can't out pressure him?
I would like a discussion on this. Lucas is one of my hardest match ups. I have no idea how to escape his pressure or approach him. I often get a face full of his Side B which leads into nastier things.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
What specifically are you having trouble escaping? Also you have a cape, never forget that.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
What specifically are you having trouble escaping? Also you have a cape, never forget that.
You do have a point there. In Brawl I use the cape very often. In PM, I forget that I have it lol. I've only fought the Lucas player twice at the tourney I went to last week so I'm not completely sure what the issue is. I just knew I couldn't get close, recover, gimp, or get him off me. I've been playing the game more and I have a better understanding of the game, but I'll see how the cape changes the match up for me next time I fight Lucas.

It'd be nice for anyone with experience in the match up to talk about the pros and cons of it though. Might refresh my memory with what was working and what wasn't working when I played the Lucas.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
You do have a point there. In Brawl I use the cape very often. In PM, I forget that I have it lol. I've only fought the Lucas player twice at the tourney I went to last week so I'm not completely sure what the issue is. I just knew I couldn't get close, recover, gimp, or get him off me. I've been playing the game more and I have a better understanding of the game, but I'll see how the cape changes the match up for me next time I fight Lucas.

It'd be nice for anyone with experience in the match up to talk about the pros and cons of it though. Might refresh my memory with what was working and what wasn't working when I played the Lucas.
Imma just throw random things out that I do against Lucas to win an stuff. First off, don't pick a big stage. Lucas excels when he has a big stage to move around with tons of different places to open you up. He can kill you anywhere, he has a plethora of kill options such as, dair(spike) bair(high KB and spike) fair(kills at high % so you don't have to worry about this much) any smash if charged, usmash(probably around 100ish) uthrow(130) etc and he had a **** tone of mix ups. Platforms are good to both you. You shouldn't bother trying to punish his smash attacks, especially if he charged them up. There is a small window to punish him though. Fireballs can limit what he does, setup, etc. They do everything they do in every other match up. In this match up though, you can really limit the amount of crap(approaches) you have to deal with. For example, he might have to approach you from the ground because you have a fireball on the platform above him. Must Lucas players are aggressive so if you don't crack under pressure or mix up how you deal with it, you won't get blown away to often. Something that shuts him down, is a more aggressive play style and smaller stages. Try to edge guard him with fireballs, nair, bair or if you wanna go balls deep, fair his ass when he tries to tether. Don't be jump off the stage for a kill. At low percent your down throw leads to a lot of tech chase situations, so keep that in mind. Lucas is a FF. I think uthrow can chain to fair? I don't know. Uthrow kills you around 130 maybe 140 on DL. His upB hardly had any landing lag.

I recently uploaded a game vs a Lucas if you would like to see. You might be able to get something from it, granted I hadn't played in a while when I recorded it, but still, it could benfit you.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Lucas is a character that does very well making you uncomfortable. He rushes in hard and well and can be hard to deal with due to his great inherent momentum (of pressure, not literal momentum). But a lot of Lucas players suffer from relying too much on certain tools of theirs.

For instance, their side b is amazing and opens you up a crap ton, but a lot of Lucas players default to it in the neutral and don't have much else to do, as they're too used to using it as a crutch. If you can avoid side b, by caping, spot dodging, jumping over it, players who rely on it too heavily will crumble.

Another thing is that their pressure is incredible. Really really top notch. But a lot of Lucas players rely on always being in control because of that great pressure. If you can get a grasp on your opponents habits when pressuring, and then break through and turn it around, they'll often have a ton of trouble getting out of a tilt mindset and making poor decisions as you pressure them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now isolated from the matchup, I'd like to get something out there that will greatly benefit ALL Mario mains, and mains in general, and that's the effective mixing up of options and usage of tools. A lot of characters have metagames that advance at a snails pace due to having crutches. Easy and perfect examples are Lucas' easy button Uthrow kills, and Side B in neutral, Game and Watch's Bacon, and (surprise surprise) Mario's fireballs and, to a lesser extent, Dair.

A lot of Mario mains don't expand their ability to deal with diverse situations and adapt to their opponents adaption because they spend too much time leaning on fireball, and using it as a cure all. It is good. Really freaking good. And if you use it to great effect in the Lucas matchup, well that's fantastic. Unfortunately, that provides the opponent with an opportunity to do to you what I explained up above, which is to recognize your reliance on fireball (or any one thing, really) and punish that part of your game super hard. Because, until now, it was your all applicable solution you're now on crazy tilt and find yourself getting beat up for having a less developed overall game.

The solution to this is simple as it is useful. Practice without that tool. When you're playing friendlies with Mario, or any character, recognize what you use in great excess and stop using that at all. I can promise you that you'll find a great many gaps in your game when you're not using fireball. Patching this up is good, and it's what leads to making you an overall better player. Casting away your support and striking out with all of your tools creatively is what gives players that spark of inspiration that leads to crazy combos, insane reads, and dominating performance.

In case I haven't captured this well I'll quote who I learned this from so their can be more than one articulation to avoid confusion:

3) Character specific stuff. Try playing without your 'core' moves. For Doc, maybe eliminate Pills and D-Air from your game. With G&W, whatever you might be favoring with him (Hammer or Bacon or whatever)

Work out the dynamics and nuances of the game.

It's a big reason why every mainstream meta-game is slow as molasses and the popular players generally take ages to get anywhere. If Lucas didn't have an U-Throw that could be combo'd into or fished for at any % on any character, the 'better players' of the character would be a lot better, as they'd have worked out a lot more dynamics and depth of the character, even likely noticing that if Lucas didn't have U-Throw, he wouldn't be much different, given he can kill earlier and better in various other ways, but they're less obvious/simple without distinct insight and fluency with them, let alone in plain-sight the way almost everyone views everything.

YOU GOT THIS!

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
tis offline
nope
Im just ez.
oh ok and omg i checked out ur channel with ur match vs eisen lucas good fair spike but i got wet for that lets go when u side taunt omg i want it i want it!

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
oh ok and omg i checked out ur channel with ur match vs eisen lucas good fair spike but i got wet for that lets go when u side taunt omg i want it i want it!
Lol
I woulda put it up here, but do to my current situation, I can't pratice as much as I want so I feel like I'm so rusty everytime I play xD.
This problem will be fixed in a month er two though. Then imma be spammin ya'll with my greatness!

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
A friend of mind tells me that Mario's Dair is gonna be nerfed in the next version. Any of you know if this claim is true? Do you guys think it should be nerfed? I think that's a little absurd when you compare it to much better attacks in the game but I'd like to talk about that. Is Mario's Dair too good?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I highly doubt it, there's nothing wrong with his dair. Mario pretty much feels like a complete character, I think there are other characters that could benefit from being changed, but Mario is definitely fine the way he is.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Step off, I've already claimed @ Hinichii.ez.™ Hinichii.ez.™ in the name of THE LORD.

A friend of mind tells me that Mario's Dair is gonna be nerfed in the next version. Any of you know if this claim is true? Do you guys think it should be nerfed? I think that's a little absurd when you compare it to much better attacks in the game but I'd like to talk about that. Is Mario's Dair too good?
No.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I feel loved :3

Mario's dair is fine. It's starts off slow with low priority and then gets fast with good priority.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I agree. It's simply comparison to me. I can't find a reason why any of Mario's moves should be nerfed when there are characters with better moves.

Scatz

Smash Champion
He's fairly skilled. Definitely knows his combos and tech chasing extremely well. Any time I got hit, I was pretty much zero to death'd since I couldn't DI anywhere to make the combos harder.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Falcon:

Chuck a Fireball at DD, space carefully, approach with SHFFL'd Nairs and Dairs, try to get grab off Fireball as much as possible. Up-throw can't really CG I feel but you get a few good hits before you have to switch to Down-throw at high percents. At the right edge at around 50% you can get a solid Up-Throw Fair.

Edgeguarding is lol grab edge and drop bairs like it's Russia.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Falcon:

Chuck a Fireball at DD, space carefully, approach with SHFFL'd Nairs and Dairs, try to get grab off Fireball as much as possible. Up-throw can't really CG I feel but you get a few good hits before you have to switch to Down-throw at high percents. At the right edge at around 50% you can get a solid Up-Throw Fair.

Edgeguarding is lol grab edge and drop bairs like it's Russia.
You'd make the Siberian Blizzard proud.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
This
Plus whatever was previously said. You may have to go back a page we two though. He can nair through fireballs. Remember that, and uthrow>fair works on him.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Hello PM Mario boards. I just recently picked up PM and an thoroughly enjoyed it.

I played Young Link in melee back in 2006 under the name kanzaki.. then transitioned into Mario and changed to supatony.

My Mario carried over in Brawl and was active in the forums there.. Hi bo!

Now I recently started playing PM since the community is quite active in socal. I entered my first tournament and placed 5th in doubles.. Didn't enter single because I was busy. I will posted videos when they get uploaded but I played on stream it can be found on iebattlegrounds twitch archive. I teamed up with nashun who is probably the best Mario currently in socal.

Any who hello everybody :)

Last edited:

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
Hello PM Mario boards. I just recently picked up PM and an thoroughly enjoyed it.

I played Young Link in melee back in 2006 under the name kanzaki.. then transitioned into Mario and changed to supatony.

My Mario carried over in Brawl and was active in the forums there.. Hi bo!

Now I recently started playing PM since the community is quite active in socal. I entered my first tournament and placed 5th in doubles.. Didn't enter single because I was busy. I will posted videos when they get uploaded but I played on stream it can be found on iebattlegrounds twitch archive. I teamed up with nashun who is probably the best Mario currently in socal.

Any who hello everybody :)
ah so u were at sss nice
and kolo is the best mario in socal followed by myself js
and i like the profile pic

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
:cool:Take in the Mario in the back of my post. I wish he was bigger.
i'd very much like to ditto match you sometime, it'd be fun :)
Dunno when I can say I'll be going to TX. The farthest I've been from home, for smash, was Nashville TN for KiT. I've got a ways to go before I start really traveling OoS. But, I'd love to start doing it more. I just need to get my situation solved. Maybe I'll meet you down the road, some where

And yo, my mario is rusty x_x
I feel like I'm half as good as I used.

TheGrifBaller

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGrifballer
3DS FC
2122-8174-1282
Hey guys I main Mario in pm actually come to think of it I main Mario in every smash game

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
"What is it with you and Mariocombos anyway?" ~ Frustrated friends to me.

Mariocombo is now a term, guys. This character just flows.
Tell them to use that #MariocartDi if they wish to survive.

Top Bottom