• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Plumber's Crack - Mario General

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Don't use down B to hit people. Ever. Use dash atk way less. It's like taking medicine, you only need a little of it, or you die.

Last edited:

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Actually down-b is fairly quick, resets your momentum and cant be CC'd. I use it every once in awhile when descending to punish poorly spaced moves.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Actually down-b is fairly quick, resets your momentum and cant be CC'd. I use it every once in awhile when descending to punish poorly spaced moves.
The end of it can be CC'd.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Wat
I need help with the Zelda match up can you peoples help with dat
:mario2:vs:zelda:
watch good players play against her and try to figure out what they do against her. Nair or dair her dins fire everytime she sends one your way. If you do, you'll have the frame advantage. Don't jab them, just hit them with one of the two moves I said. She isn't gonna be able to punish that. If she's far away from the edge and throws a dins at the edge, she's going to up B right to it. zhime and other top Zelda's do it all the time. Her bair is stupid. It's basically falcon's knee, but for girls. His knee comes out around frame 14 and her kick comes out around frame 8. Her stupid ass crystals thing is intangible for a bit of time, not the whole time, but still. It also auto cancels when you land on the ground. Learn the Di for her throws and the combos that work on her.

Planning on making a Mario Match Up thread in the future. I feel like I answer a lot of the same questions, plus this would helps us all out.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Because of N-B, you need to play a minimal combo game. Still, you need to make sure those little combos hurt when you land one. Zelda can't really make her own approach, but you can't let her be free to set up Din's fire everywhere. Apply mid-range pressure most of the time.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Let me rephrase since I used the wrong wording. You need to be careful how you follow up. Combo's are fine, but because of N-B, followups will get stuffed easily if you're over aggressive.

GeZ

Smash Lord
That I agree with. Comboing Zelda is a much more meticulous process compared to comboing a lot of other members of the cast.

GeZ

Smash Lord
well it seems like it can be at least until mid %s (knocks down another Mario with true CC at 65%, would work much earlier on others.)

still a decent option
No. There will always be better options than Down B. Playing enough Mario will make that readily apparent.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Mario Tornado will get you hurt though, as I said before it's incredibly easy to SDI.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Make gallo use it and I'll believe
How do you beat samus..?

GeZ

Smash Lord
It's also got enough endlag that it's nigh impossible to combo off of. It's only for recovery. No player is limiting themselves by not being dumb enough to use a bad option. You wrong GMaster.

Make gallo use it and I'll believe
How do you beat samus..?
Cape projectiles, get her into the air, Bair edgeguards.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
It's also got enough endlag that it's nigh impossible to combo off of. It's only for recovery. No player is limiting themselves by not being dumb enough to use a bad option. You wrong GMaster.

Cape projectiles, get her into the air, Bair edgeguards.
So what you're sayin is, use my wolf. ez

I guess I could play slow and slowly apply DMG by camping it out though

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I don't think Samus deals too well under pressure either so you could meticulously work your way in and then play aggressive once you're in close.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I don't think Samus deals too well under pressure either so you could meticulously work your way in and then play aggressive once you're in close.
I think imma try being aggressive on the ground and when I get her into the air, I'll just DD around the area where she should land or just do some really aggressive crap like a buncha sh. I would go for follow ups, but you just get nair'd for it. I hate not being able to follow up :/
What you said is pretty much what imma do.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Coo, coo. The Nair really does put a damper on our followups but if you can string your moves fast enough, it is really advantageous, as Samus loses most of her options in the air.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Who do you guys think is a good secondary to cover Mario's bad match ups? I know at the end of the day skill matters but I'm just curious to hear your thoughts.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Who do you guys think is a good secondary to cover Mario's bad match ups? I know at the end of the day skill matters but I'm just curious to hear your thoughts.
I would say, it depends on what you feel like you struggle with the most. For me, Wolf covers me nicely, but spacies aren't for everyone. So, say what you feel like you struggle with and your style and I could make some sorta recommendations for you.

GeZ

Smash Lord
In my experience/ oppinion, Marth is the only character who is annoying to the point of switching characters. All other disadvantageous matchups I prefer playing through.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
In my experience/ oppinion, Marth is the only character who is annoying to the point of switching characters. All other disadvantageous matchups I prefer playing through.
Yea, I was lacking a game plan against samus. I really wasn't having a problem in the MU till I played this new guy. I think m2 could merit a character switch. He's a lot like Marth, but you can punish him harder for whiffing and he doesn't have that range in % where only a tipper will kill you. I think the MU is do able at the least, but meh.

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
The Marth MU isn't as bad as people say my opinion. I'd still say it's 55:45 Marth or 50:50 depending on stage. My secondary is Fox. I can't really think of any super bad MU's for Mario in this game because of how well designed he is. He has a ton of 50:50 MU's but IMO that's a good thing since it shows how balanced he is. I'm I the only one who still feels he needs a buff? I think all he needs a this point is good grab range.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
He needs no buff
You need more Marth exp cause you aren't seeing i2i with those who turely have it

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Yeah, saying the Marth MU is even is the same as saying you don't know the Marth MU.
No. That's not true. I've played the MU many times. I feel Mario can use his fireballs to manipulate Marth's movement. Mario doesn't have to approach. Remember Marth is FORCED to do something unless he wants to take 8% which racks up quickly. Also one tool that is really good in this match up is dash attack since it can pop Marth up after a forward air very similar to Sheik. The only thing Marth can do when he is above you is Dair and that can be punished. Range and killing power is really the only problem with this match up which is why I feel it's stage dependent. If Marth chooses Warioware or Yoshi's basically any small place then it won't be hard for Marth to get in on Mario and if Mario gets caught on a platform he's screwed but Mario's kill problems are fixed at the same time. Also if Mario is above Marth it's pretty much the same situation where Mario can only Dair and while it isn't that punishable due to it's priority and speed, it is predictable. When it comes to edgeguarding Mario can mix it up much better than Marth (this is assuming he has his jump) but if Mario has no jump then he is either forced to up b to the ledge or up b ledge dash. Marth can punish both. Mario can gimp Marth very early. Back air is an incredible tool since it puts Marth in a bad spot. I remember once back throwing a Marth offstage, comboing two Bairs and it killed at 40% because I caught his jump when he tried to fair me away. When it comes to combos both can combo each other well. Marth does have an advantage with the Ken combo while Mario does have trouble killing since both his fair and fsmash (although fsmash does outrange all of Marth stuff when pivoted) need a grab or an up air to be setup at kill %s, down smash is the most reliable kill option. Feel free to add more. I'd like to keep discussing.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
But Marth can use most of his normals to deal with fireballs.

And Marth can hold you at arms length with his normals, which makes going in very difficult.

And he can grab most of your grab attempts.

And he can edge guard most of your recovery for free.

And he can just kill you so easily.

This matchup really really isn't even.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Marth doesn't have to like commit to some kind of laggy option to stop fireballs, just as a FYI. All you're forcing him to do is press buttons. I made a post discussing what happens when you fireball. It benefits him more than you. Please post some kind of video of you doing this MU. Because these marth's are ether, bad, not as good as you or they don't know the MU. Those are the only reasons mario can actually win.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I'm an avid Brawl player and I decided to get into Project M because it looked fun. I think I'm gonna main Mario. What are the most important things to know about this character for a PM beginner?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I'm an avid Brawl player and I decided to get into Project M because it looked fun. I think I'm gonna main Mario. What are the most important things to know about this character for a PM beginner?
Check out the guide! It goes over basics as well as advanced theory.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
just so u guys know mario and marth are even in pm in the mu it just depends on who knows what they are doing if u have a good punish game you can kill marth easy lol its almost free when u get him offstage stop bitchn bout his range cause its not impossible learn yo matchups

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
just so u guys know mario and marth are even in pm in the mu it just depends on who knows what they are doing if u have a good punish game you can kill marth easy lol its almost free when u get him offstage stop *****n bout his range cause its not impossible learn yo matchups
You said it yourself, you haven't played any good Marth players. You don't know the struggle, the pain, the story, the pure frustration, so shut it.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
You said it yourself, you haven't played any good Marth players. You don't know the struggle, the pain, the story, the pure frustration, so shut it.
What I don't like about Marth in this game is that you seem to be rewarded for spamming Forward smash. In Brawl, as a Marth main myself, It was not so. In PM, my mario struggles against that range. Even though I'm a PM noob now, I say the MU is definitely in Marths favor.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
What I don't like about Marth in this game is that you seem to be rewarded for spamming Forward smash. In Brawl, as a Marth main myself, It was not so. In PM, my mario struggles against that range. Even though I'm a PM noob now, I say the MU is definitely in Marths favor.
If you are losing to spaming of Fsmash you are in no position to talk about the match up. Just shield it. WD OOS into a grab > dthrow >fat combo at lower percents or a dsmash at higher percents. You could also you your movement to bait it and close the distance then to punish. Seriously, Marth forward smash is very easy to punish on whiff or shield.

Jackson

Smash Lord
If you are losing to spaming of Fsmash you are in no position to talk about the match up. Just shield it. WD OOS into a grab > dthrow >fat combo at lower percents or a dsmash at higher percents. You could also you your movement to bait it and close the distance then to punish. Seriously, Marth forward smash is very easy to punish on whiff or shield.
Haha, okay. I guess I'm still an extreme PM noob. My bad for talking about the MU.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Haha, okay. I guess I'm still an extreme PM noob. My bad for talking about the MU.
It's really not a big deal. We all have to start somewhere. As a Marth player I just get frustrated when people can't deal with stuff like that which should not be working.

GeZ

Smash Lord
A matchup being manageable doesn't mean it's even. You can learn any matchup, but certain characters have advantages over other characters. That's just how it is. Mario can murder Marth when he lands the hit, but the same could be said for Marth landing a hit on Mario. He doesn't struggled warding off fireballs and while the range isn't the end all be all, it's only VERY punishable for a few specific moves, and pretty safe in a lot of instances.

Top Bottom