• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Plumber's Crack - Mario General

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I had a longer post, but all I'm going to say is, that Marth player wasn't on your level or so it didn't appear that way, he didn't seen to handle your fireballs well and I stopped trying to count his fsmashs a minute in. It's like he thought you would ether be to scared to punish, he thought that was some sorta slick bait, or he thought you would just run into if he did it enough.

I know Marth is a bad match-up for Mario, but I was just browsing the Marth character discussion and saw some Marth who are afraid of Mario XD I guess they must be those "bad Marths" that we mentioned.
yup

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I'll just try to go to a tourney soon so me and my dubs partner can show you guys how a mario is suppose to look

on a side note it really depends on the mu weather or not u should spam fireballs & i dont mean just throwing them out there i mean using them to make your opponent be where u want them to be or approach you when u want them to that way u can set up your combos and finishers movement is a big part but most people dont have that at all and they are too slow to keep long strings going or play mind games
Any results my friend?

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
havent had the chance to go to one work is a ***** :(

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I have a tournament coming up at the end of the month. I'll drop a stream link when I'm about to play. I was on stream in the last tournament, but I had two completely free games, so I didn't even mention it.

Last edited:

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Greetings! Here is some REALLY IMPORTANT TIME SENSITIVE INFORMATION. WATCH THIS VIDEO AND/OR READ BELOW! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJHZj5w83vg

It has to do with us being able to continue to play Wifi on custom servers after Nintendo Wifi shuts down but we HAVE TO ACT BEFORE THE 18th if you don't want to have to create a new fc and add all of your current friends again.

Just enter your friend code including the (-) between numbers and for GameID the code of the game which in this case would be RSB* for SSBB. You are going to want to enter a letter for the region you are playing from. For most of us that will be an "E" which is for the Americas. So in the GameID slot you would have RSBE. The link to the website is http://wiimmfi.profeibe.at/

*I'm posting this in multiple places to give as many people as possible the chance to see it in time. I apologize if this isn't an appropriate place to post this within the forum, but not all of the character forums have a social/general discussion thread. In those cases I tried to pick a thread where I know a lot of people will see it. I figured many people will be interested in this as net play is not a plausible alternative for quite a few people.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Greetings! Here is some REALLY IMPORTANT TIME SENSITIVE INFORMATION. WATCH THIS VIDEO AND/OR READ BELOW! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJHZj5w83vg

It has to do with us being able to continue to play Wifi on custom servers after Nintendo Wifi shuts down but we HAVE TO ACT BEFORE THE 18th if you don't want to have to create a new fc and add all of your current friends again.

Just enter your friend code including the (-) between numbers and for GameID the code of the game which in this case would be RSB* for SSBB. You are going to want to enter a letter for the region you are playing from. For most of us that will be an "E" which is for the Americas. So in the GameID slot you would have RSBE. The link to the website is http://wiimmfi.profeibe.at/

*I'm posting this in multiple places to give as many people as possible the chance to see it in time. I apologize if this isn't an appropriate place to post this within the forum, but not all of the character forums have a social/general discussion thread. In those cases I tried to pick a thread where I know a lot of people will see it. I figured many people will be interested in this as net play is not a plausible alternative for quite a few people.
.....all you needed to do, was make a general thread.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I have a tournament coming up at the end of the month. I'll drop a stream link when I'm about to play. I was on stream in the last tournament, but I had two completely free games, so I didn't even mention it.
Good. I am going to try to go to CEO and there is a Monthly happening on Sunday so hopefully they will stream those matches. I know Hbox will be at both. We need to prove Mario is a force to be reckoned with.
havent had the chance to go to one work is a ***** :(
That blows.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Imma start cracking out the good ol cpt.OLIMAR REAL SOON
So far the only MU I like more with him, is Zelda. Idk about any other MU but yea, she's p annoying to deal with, as Mario. Also, I believe I'll be able to stream myself and other players in my scene sometime in the month(s) to come. All I need to do, is figure out what kinda of adapters and what not I need to make my El Gato work on CRTs. I'll also need to make an overlay at some point. Side note, how's my new font doe? str8sex.amiright?

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Imma start cracking out the good ol cpt.OLIMAR REAL SOON
So far the only MU I like more with him, is Zelda. Idk about any other MU but yea, she's p annoying to deal with, as Mario. Also, I believe I'll be able to stream myself and other players in my scene sometime in the month(s) to come. All I need to do, is figure out what kinda of adapters and what not I need to make my El Gato work on CRTs. I'll also need to make an overlay at some point. Side note, how's my new font doe? str8sex.amiright?
I know what you mean. That MU is annoying. I like do what M2K does and stay on top of her and bait out the Nayru's Love. She has some laggy moves but her grab range and Din mines are annoying as hell.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I like M2K as a player, but I'm not too fond of his Mario.

He still wins matches with the character, but it's really because he has incredible fundamentals than a very good Mario. I, personally recommend watching other players (boss is a good example) to see what a good Mario player looks like.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Alright guys. I had a huge issue with Meta Knight in a recent tournament. How do you fight him? I was unfamiliar with the match up and I barely took two stocks.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Alright guys. I had a huge issue with Meta Knight in a recent tournament. How do you fight him? I was unfamiliar with the match up and I barely took two stocks.
For starters, his sword is transcendent. He doesn't have a reliable way to deal with fireballs. If he is getting a lot of Dthrow tech chase, Di up and you can just jump away or nair him for going for it again. Edge guarding is w/e. Try to bair or nair maybe cape his nado if you can. He's in the top 5 in terms of being light. He's also a FF. He has a lot of speed( 4 frame dtilt 4 frame dsmash and nair as well If I remember correctly) If you're good with SDi, do it down when he uair you. You will get out of his uair chains for free. You can cg him and CC does work against him. I reccomend getting your JCGrabs on lock so you can just CC JCGrab punish him nicely with that, if you're good at cg or go the ez route and 18% DMG down smash.

Hope this gives you some insight on this brawl scrublord.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
For starters, his sword is transcendent. He doesn't have a reliable way to deal with fireballs. If he is getting a lot of Dthrow tech chase, Di up and you can just jump away or nair him for going for it again. Edge guarding is w/e. Try to bair or nair maybe cape his nado if you can. He's in the top 5 in terms of being light. He's also a FF. He has a lot of speed( 4 frame dtilt 4 frame dsmash and nair as well If I remember correctly) If you're good with SDi, do it down when he uair you. You will get out of his uair chains for free. You can cg him and CC does work against him. I reccomend getting your JCGrabs on lock so you can just CC JCGrab punish him nicely with that, if you're good at cg or go the ez route and 18% DMG down smash.

Hope this gives you some insight on this brawl scrublord.
Yeah he kept tech chasing me with d throw. I wasn't sure how to recover against him as well. Do you mind telling me how the neutral game is against him.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Yeah he kept tech chasing me with d throw. I wasn't sure how to recover against him as well. Do you mind telling me how the neutral game is against him.
It's pretty much, make someone do something unsafe and punish. MK isn't great at approaching so take advantage of that. If he tries to approach, it's probably gonna be with nair more than anything and maybe fair from time to time. If he gives you space, you can pretty much setup a mirage of fireballs since he can't do a dam about it.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Once you get down breaking his chain grabs and combos with good DI and Nairs/ Dairs MK players will be hard pressed to get anything going on you. Make him your ***** in the neutral and chain grab him for days. Try to get him to the ledge as edgeguarding him isn't too tough and Bair will get you that kill ez.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Once you get down breaking his chain grabs and combos with good DI and Nairs/ Dairs MK players will be hard pressed to get anything going on you. Make him your ***** in the neutral and chain grab him for days. Try to get him to the ledge as edgeguarding him isn't too tough and Bair will get you that kill ez.
Is it a bad MU? I'm not super experienced in it. The two characters that put me in Losers are Falco and MK. I beat the Falco player in a rematch after fireball camping and gimping him. But MK was difficult and I wasn't sure how to recover against him.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
More fireballs
Maybe mix up or be safer when recovering
Like, if you do a wall jump throw out a bair to cover yourself
If you're recovering high use a fireball and a nair or throw a dair out.
MU doesn't seem bad to me, just campy. I hate camping so much.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
More fireballs
Maybe mix up or be safer when recovering
Like, if you do a wall jump throw out a bair to cover yourself
If you're recovering high use a fireball and a nair or throw a dair out.
MU doesn't seem bad to me, just campy. I hate camping so much.
So in this MU you can't be aggressive or you get grabbed?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Not necessarily. You just have to outthink your opponent. Look for what they try to grab and then work around it. Or set up a pattern of using attacks after fireballs and then mix in grabs.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
You can be aggro, just don't feel yourself. MK can turn that around real quick with grabs or dtilts if you aren't careful. And when it's edge gaurd time, be passive, he has like 4 jumps, a decent down b, a meh side b, a tricky up B and nB. He has a lot of options, each one better than the last.

Oh and full hop fireball nair. P good it's funny to, cause it works lol

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
I'll write up a little quick something for TL after I finish working today. Luckily, I had gotten a really good match recorded vs one where it was my first time learning it, but Brawl's spam helped me play against PM TL better.

I still have no experience playing Mario vs Mewtwo (GA has no competent M2s...)

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
@ Mr.Random Mr.Random @ GeZ GeZ @ Scatz Scatz do you guys have any TL exp? Also, know any stages that good and bad for m2?
Tink is in Mario's favor. I have a Tink player that I play all the time. Cape stops all projectiles. Mario can pressure and bait out his grab. Oh and Mario combos very easily and kills early. I'm interested to see Scatz write up though. I agree that there aren't enough M2's in my area either. I think Mewtwo MU IMO is in his favor only because of that stupid tail.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Sword tail OP I only have 2 M2's where I live. The MU is kinda hard. I think it's do able, but I've been considering character switching.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Mario vs Tink is a spamfest obstacle course to put it simply. Tink has no reason to approach (without a bomb) unless he's landed a hit confirm for his basic hit and run combos. The thing about his combos is that he hits hard. So, you have to make sure you're paying attention and not trying to force yourself through his projectiles when you have no real leverage. Normally, Tink suffers the same issue in the projectile game as Mario (having someone under him), but with a bomb in his hand, things change up since you don't want to trade or get baited into one. You can cape his projectiles, but cape can set you up to get smacked if not used from further away. For the most part though, cape doesn't really sway this matchup in anyone's favor.

I don't know the specifics, but you can hit a bomb without making it explode, and that'll help you when pressuring Tink, but for the most part, make sure you dodge, cancel out, and shield his projectiles. Tink is fast as hell, so he can run away most of the game. Even if you get close to him, the other half of the battle is landing a solid hit confirm to start anything. Tink's grab will blow you up, and you really don't want to eat Dthrow > UpB. His backside is covered fairly well cause of Bair (I know this from Brawl), and if I'm not mistaken, he can probably link multiple Bair's for serious damage.

Zair is also another issue that can come up against us. A Tink with some stage to work with, can keep us away with Zair, and it has easy hit confirms if you're just running into it. You want to make sure that while you're trying to get in, you push him back so that he doesn't have room to work with and set up his crap. Once he's offstage, edgeguard the crap outta him. Bomb jump will make him get back, but he can't focus on his opponent as much while doing it.

Overall, I call it even. You're playing his game until you can push him towards the edge. Once you get in, you can go to town with him, but you'll be playing the game again after you finish your combo/kill. As for stages, I didn't necessarily like having to play on completely flat stages or stages with tons of platforms. Small is cool for us (GHZ & FoD), and even ones with a little space, but with minimal platforms (PS2, PS1, & SV).

I have one match where I played a competent Tink for my first time in PM, but most of my experience is from the camping Tinks gave me in Brawl. Being able to handle spam is the crucial point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IDvOx6bZ_s

Shoutouts to chokin' the last kill, and gettin' bopped by Luigi in game 2. >_<

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I just always held away until I noticed he could combo me from it.
Yo, you friends with fatality? Falcon player, lives around you If I remember correctly. He's coming to a tournement near me, come to dis!

Scatz

Smash Champion
I am, and I won't be able to show up to that one. I work this weekend. Keep me up to date when y'all hold another though. I definitely plan to make the drive there another time since it ain't long.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Alright, do you guys have stuff often? I might try rolling down there myself from time to time.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Mainly monthlies. Fatality hosts his own tournament for some of our players to improve (free).

Cute Cats is hosted (primarily Melee) where we run PM on the side.
Mr. Bones and Fatality are hosting a new PM series called SALT. It's supposed to be July 19th. If it gets big enough, I'll most likely just take off in advance, unless there's a big job happening that weekend. http://smashboards.com/threads/july...th-atlantic-legendary-tournament-salt.354120/

We at least have a pretty good turnout though. Last Cute Cats was 49 ppl with a few stragglers refusing to enter.

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Alrighty peeps im making a "best versions" Project M file. which version of project M is Mario considered the best in?

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I'm wondering if they'll give his up smash the invincibility back. That is the ONLY reason that I used it OoS and as an anti air in Melee because it was good. But now his up smash sucks like just use up tilt.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Yea, I used to use on it on people who would try to dair me on stage. Now it just trades. It ain't even good. I've played plenty of games where I could count the the amount of times I did it, on one hand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom