• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pichu Social & General Discussion Thread

thegrovylekid

Smash Cadet
I suggest having a pocket high tier so you can learn how to do stuff other than nair which will help you a lot. For actual Pichu stuff, learn how to nair and don't be afraid to be patient if you have to.
I can Wobble with Ice cLimbers, will that work?

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Ice climbers who wobble before mid level play always struggle use pichu in the match-ups I suggested mained the pair on and off since 08

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
being able to wobble with ics is a dumb reason to use them since isai is the prophet and you need to know that their neutral is far more important. go with a character you feel comfortable with or be masochistic like me and pick a character that forces you to learn new things.

Last edited:

thegrovylekid

Smash Cadet
being able to wobble with ics is a dumb reason to use them since isai is the prophet and you need to know that their neutral is far more important. go with a character you feel comfortable with or be masochistic like me and pick a character that forces you to learn new things.
Hmm...

*thinks for a very long time*

Peach, maybe? She's one of my best characters in Brawl and SSB4, same with Dr. Mario. Maybe puff? this is harder than I thought...

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
just play whoever you have the most fun with.
when you're still bad anyway, one of your characters being slightly less bad than the other doesn't matter whatsoever.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
pivot taunts are godlike

can fox escape pichu's chained up airs with SDI?
he can get out faster/make it harder to follow. SDI is pretty strong, but you can still follow him.
Also keep in mind that uair is disjointed so it doesn't really matter if he's in stun or not as long as you can keep outpacing him and prevent him from getting down.
I'm usually not a huge fan of extended uair chains though, I just do a couple for position/extending combos then do something else.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
i just wanted to know in case i would ever need to do multiple up airs for positioning and converting into other stuff. thank you.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yeah I mean there are situations where the best thing to do is just to hair again, it's pretty safe to throw out.
Usually if I'm on a stage with platforms I'll just uair until I can get them to a platform then follow up from there.

on that note, uair onto a platform into dj ff dair is amazing if you connect the quake, especially if you're in position to edge cancel.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
hey so i'm sure this is gonna sound weird, but i'm actually going to be putting legitimate time into pichu now. i've been using pichu for about a week and i have one match from CEO recorded finally. i was hoping to get some critique. thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zgcLTU7oAQ
Interesting decision. Admittedly, I'm not as good a player as you, but for some reason I know way too much pichu stuff, so I'll give you the best feedback I can.First thing I notice is that you nair a little early when approaching. Generally you want to nair as low as possible for the best advantage on shield, and since pichu's nair comes out frame 3, you can get pretty low.0:37 aerial dair wasn't the best followup you had here. Dair has a lot of uses, but I really don't like it in this situation. In this position I would actually try to use a uair or two for a better position. Uair is pretty disjointed and fox can't really fall on pichu if you're directly underneath him. I don't like the extended uair chains most of the time, but in this situation, since he's still at pretty low percent, you can afford to throw out a couple and ideally get a grab depending on how he DIs. This helps you to unstale your nair too, which is a plus.

0:40 uthrow cg doesn't actually work at this percent. It stops working around 80%, he could have jumped or shined out at any point.
Generally when CGing I don't like pummeling either. Self damage isn't that big of a deal, but you avoid it, but you can regrab more if uthrow is fully stale, which forces them to DI to the edge, which actually allows you to get more off the CG than if they DI into the center of the stage.

0:51 good timing of the fsmash. I always try to hit with only the last hit when using it.0:57 jolt might have connected if you'd jumped forward rather than back, but at this percent, jolt->nairs don't really work if DIed properly. High nair to cover the early sideB probably would have been better since jolt is so laggy and even if you'd landed it, you probably couldn't have gotten a whole lot off of it.

1:00 rapid jab resets are super fun, but keep in mind you're giving them multiple chances to SDI out.

1:41 I'm just going to stop commenting on the cg because you're opponent is obviously just going to let you do it indefinitely.
It really never leads into a usmash KO.

2:05 interesting choice with the rapid jabs. Not actually safe, but it looked funny so w/e.

I only had time to watch the first match, but I hope I provided at least a little bit of constructive feedback here.
Some other things are I think you could afford to go offstage a little more for edgeguards (in the correct situations) and you use dair a little too often, although there are a lot of situations where it's really good. Obviously, you're opponent wasn't the best, and you're pichu is a little trollish here, but I would try to choose more options that provide less chance for escape for your opponent, even if they yield less reward. Optimization is key.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
My phone is slow only saw about a minute and a half in.

Very gimmicky pichu can't really chain throw past 90% fox can always shine/jump out before kill percents.

Be more reactive less proactive.

You land a nair and mash jab before You know he missed a tech or landed it

You nair well before You can hit him, while sometimes weak nair is nice not often making nair as late as possible is nice for shield pressure and landing the disjointed part that beats out fox's nair. Also if You don't nair early You can pull back and bait something out.

You also jumped right into a shine where You could've done a rising upair.

Ninjas

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
down smash is okay, but not on shield or anything like that. at around a minute into the first match, you made a questionable jump that probably would have been punished if the other person was better. 1:56 pichu would have been able to grab fox without the wavedash forward. 2:05 chaingrab would have been better. 2:30 bad down smash. you should have been punished for that. 3:10 really risky down smash that wasn't spaced right. 4:00 the f smash didn't cover any of the likely firefox angles. 4:18 another bad f smash. one of the few things the fox was doing well was catching you on some nair approaches. you should also get a bit more familiar with comboing off up air as you missed a dair followup in the second match.

i'm not as good as a player as you but hopefully this will be useful.

edit: up throw > nair is way better than up throw > up smash at high percents. it's guaranteed and puts people in easy edgeguard positions. the bad down smashes can be replaced with up tilts. they have more range, end way faster, and can combo directly into stuff instead of tech chasing after down smash.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
If anybody cares, to get the latest nair possible from a short hop, you have to nair on the 26th frame. This makes Pichu land on frame 29 instead of 30. This might be good for edge canceling if we want to do it a frame faster, but I'm not sure if it will still help for that.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
does anybody have % ranges for when down throw CGs work? i haven't messed around with them much. in training mode, i can regrab mewtwo at 0% (that's before the first down throw) but i don't think that's a true combo.

lol i set hte cpu to evade and got hte regrab at 0

i guess it doesn't work on mewtwo if he hard DI's away but that can be reacted to and he can probably be nair'd for that

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
does anybody have % ranges for when down throw CGs work? i haven't messed around with them much. in training mode, i can regrab mewtwo at 0% (that's before the first down throw) but i don't think that's a true combo.

lol i set hte cpu to evade and got hte regrab at 0

i guess it doesn't work on mewtwo if he hard DI's away but that can be reacted to and he can probably be nair'd for that
yeah dthrow CGs aren't really a thing except at some very specific percents on certain DIs (usually no DI).

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Nair can combo into up tilt and the slow part of that is slower than the slow part of up-smash with that 9-11 frame data.

I'm 90% sure I can nair pivot f smash as a real combo

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Thoughts on down tilt for intercepting recoveries near the ledge?

Well Pichu gets wrecked but I find the neutral game fun because I have to figure out what the Yoshi is deciding to do to know if I want to nair or not.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Just play a really solid nair game upair edge guard punch them in the nuts if they are egg stalling

D tilt is his best?? Over all edge guarding tool

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
With yoshi you want to be overshooting most of your nairs and mixing up dairs because he CCs everything forever.
Empty hops are clutch too.

Dtilt is pretty dope for edgeguards, but usually ftilt works better. Being able to angle it is amazing.
Depends on the situation.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Can't remember percents off the top of my head, but yoshi can CC for a long time.
Dair doesn't break CC for awhile, but the dair quake combos into grab on ASDI down very well.

Last edited:

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I made a reddit post about this but I thought I'd share here. Pichu's dthrow gives him enough frame advantage to position himself optimally for tech chases, and then his movement speed and grab range allow him to wait to see what Fox's tech option is and still react in time to cover all options. I go more in depth about how it works in the reddit post but I'm sure some of you guys have been thinking about this for a while anyway. I don't even really play Pichu, I'm a DK main. I was just watching the 20GX tutorial on optimal tech chasing with Falcon and I thought that Pichu would be able to do that too. And he can. As long as you react to Fox's animations quickly enough you can cover everything, but you'll have to practice pretty hard to do it consistently.

Is this anything useful? From my lurking around here I never see you guys talk about reaction based tech chases, but I figure you guys must have been thinking about it at least a little bit. I feel like this might be the missing puzzle piece in Pichu's punish game. It gives him an option for racking up a lot of guaranteed % on most of the cast, IF your reactions are good enough. Some gfys that you will also find in the reddit post:

http://www.gfycat.com/HomelyRapidBlacklab
http://www.gfycat.com/DampEasyBoubou

The 20GX tech chasing tutorial is a good watch if you're into this kind of thing or you don't understand the concept of tech chasing on reaction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P72GQqvjIU

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
tech chasing into dash attack or up throw > stuff is probably the future. pichu can probably reach with forward tilt, down tilt or down smash. back throw for positioning would probably be okay too.

thanks, i've thought of this before, but dismissed it because i didn't think it would be possible. i'll work on this.

in the 20LC world, this probably means that FD won't be the best stage against fox

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I don't like dash attacking out of tech-chases on most characters because they can buffer ASDI down and then you're boned.

But reaction tech-chasing is 100% doable, I do it all the time when I play pichu.
I just walk in the direction they DI, then go wherever they tech. It's pretty cool.

Spacies are the hardest, but dthrow tech-chases work on most of the cast, which is great since it puts on hella %.
It's also why Pichu dittos are mad dumb.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Yeah its fast, but tons of cooldown and you can't usually follow up very well.
It's better on floaties though if you dash attack before they hit the ground.

Top Bottom