• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pichu Social & General Discussion Thread

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Sh upair 2nd jump ai nair grab with room for cross ups

I also like to upair cross up in general and I ff through or triangle jump.

They'll show You their cards after the first time then adjust some

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Edge cancel AI nairs on bf are really really strong. If nair is fresh, iirc you have something ridiculous like +3 or +4 adv on shield (im unsure off the top of my head).
You can fall off and uair to cover shield drops or wd oos.
You can also waveland back onto the platform if you wanted. I think frame perfect you'd be at least -1 with that, but it's not that bad if you're behind their shield.

Of course, being in this position doesn't happen that often, which is unfortunate.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Should be, but is so bad vs shielding, dding and won't beat anything out from how close You need to be.

Dair breaks cc a little earlier than nair and has a reset, I love it vs peach cause You should have a decent chance to shield poke

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
the pivot up tilts were, the up air to nair stuff was. i'm not sure about the fair. the f smash was not guaranteed as well but falco is dead when he's like that anyway.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
derf, i asked unknown about stuff he found out about dair and all he gave me was "two hits into grab".

i guess that makes the most useful weird thing dair can do edge canceling with the quake into nair.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
shield pressure vs falcon and others with bad OoS options idea. if we late nair we can pivot away (or wavedash, but that takes up slightly more time) and probably react to an aerial OoS. if they decide to wavedash back that seems like a problem but that gives pichu more stage control and puts them in a bad position, which can probably lead to stuff like nair / up air on reaction to reset the situation or option coverage with down tilt and up tilt (only if they jump).

i'm also goign to test more cc percentages now and if we can duck under marth's early bair. edit: we sort of can. if we're really close to him, it whiffs. if we're a bit less than a pichu head away from him, it hits us. pichu also duck under jair without fastfall unless it's spaced well so marth is far away.

and i'm convinced that pichu can do falco style combos on YS against fast fallers with waveland up airs on reaction to cover tech options.

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
We straight up stand under falco,s ac bair strong hit. Instead of pivots I like to double nair in falcon,s face it stuff anything out and being frame safe.

Then I pull back outside of his grab range when I land

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
the problem with immediate double nair is that it gives falcon some time to do stuff. it's good but i want to eliminate or reduce the risk of losing advantageous positioning

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I know people on the panel, 10% are from Indiana.

It's non sense kirby would drop with rrr doing real work in the midwest tho.

No, there is no one who knows the Pichu meta that can apply it to what it's worth

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
kirby is ridiculously underrated. i'd say he's better than pichu if he didn't get more owned by spacies than we do lol.

yeah, the only people who know the pichu meta are scrubs like us :/

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I've done this since 2011. No di works till 50%

20% vs falcon
55% vs fox

Edit my mistake I misread I do sh upair sh wl

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Pc edge cancel is so much better overall

But that's where You walk to the edge and turn around before You fall off

But less techincal option is to up-b off stage and come back and grab it with the 2nd jump

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
yeah, pc drop is better. i just wanted to be sure about what you were doing. teeter cancel wavedash to ledge is probably the best from far away. now that i think about it, the only use for agility to grab the ledge is platforms. maybe this makes AI nair to agility ledgegrab optimal for edgeguarding?

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Raw speed is still likly double up-b, it's insane to ff a pc edge cancel honestly.

Also why land on the platform if You can just get the angle ai nair doesn't really bring any more speed in that case

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
i meant if pichu hits say falco off stage then up b would be the most optimal ledgegrab option

never thought about doing it out of double up b. i should lab this.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
yo

When do you guys think it is okay to approach Luigi? All I can think of is jump / wavedash reads, overshooting almost all the way to the other side of the stage, and up air if they're obviously trying to CC. I'm aware that approaching him most of the time is an awful idea, but I think it's a necessary thing to do sometimes. Stage control is hard to get back but not totally impossible if we give ourselves a little bit of space (and platforms <3).

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Pichu has a worse mu and I don't think there is a reasonable way to fight him, You have to make 2-3 reads to land a single hit safely. Yeah he is easy to juggle with nair/upair and edge guard isn't bad. But there isn't a way to get a head on stocks or percent that I would trust

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
What is the Pichu vs Bowser MU like? From what little of it I've played, up b OoS destroys anything except really late nair. I think down tilt would be really safe in almost every situation? Bowser is also the easiest thing to edgeguard. Does his F tilt destroy nair approaches? I doubt he can do anything about run away jolts.

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
F tilt is a bit to slow to use on reaction without doing a wavedash back. Also not attacking crossing up his shield let's You do anything You want as long as You avoid the up-b and react.

Bowser has to make reads and Pichu should keep making small mix-ups and d throw/up throw are pretty good vs Pichu (I need to double check up-throw but it should auto combo Pichu)

Also bowser,s up tilt comes out frame 7 so I think it'd be great.

I underrate Pichu and feel I don't know nearly enough about bowser so I've never said or thought Pichu wins even when I play it from both sides, but everyone seems to think Pichu wins

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
used pichu against peanutphobia today, did alright. i don't think the yoshi MU is too bad, it didn't seem like any of his approaches were solid against nair...

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Our nair beats all but bair, f tilt and up tilt(not counting options we space around like d tilt or things that are Hella slow like fair)

Like if yoshi gets a solid hit it's like most match-ups we hurt super bad from the follow ups but other than platform and ledge camping never has ever felt bad

PF9

Smash Lord
Hello, I'm mainly a SSB4 player now, but I want to say, Pichu was something of a secondary main for me in Melee. This is because Pichu evolves into my main throughout the whole series, Pikachu. Pichu is really cute, and I still want him to return in another Smash game. I had hopes he would be DLC in SSB 4. My headcanons regarding Pichu in Melee were that we were using Pichu Big (the older of the Pichu Bros., although the VA is the same as Pichu Little), and that Pichu and Yoshi were good friends during the Melee era (we all know that Yoshi is good with babies). Oh and that Ness regularly babysat for Pichu and was paid handsomely for it.

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Thing is pichu is basically pika with a buffed neutral game overall with a nerfed punishment and dieing from a single grab

But I'm in the camp that dlc is toxic for a competitive game that,s not supported by who,s making it. Nintendo basically cut out pm and paid apex to run their product advertising and left. Pichu won't be dlc and if he was he,d likly be nerfed super hard or out class pika

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
So here's a weird thing I didn't know could happen. I was facing away from the stage, but under the ledge as Pichu, then up Bd in a way that made me go over the ledge, but just barely (as if I had wavedashed on, for example) is that useful in any way, or is it even worth practicing?

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
yeah, it's a bit useful. it's not very hard to become consistent at, so i'd practice it. the problem is that pichu is easy to edgeguard if the other person has experience against pichu or pikachu so it might not help you much.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
yeah, it's a bit useful. it's not very hard to become consistent at, so i'd practice it. the problem is that pichu is easy to edgeguard if the other person has experience against pichu or pikachu so it might not help you much.
Right. I can see something like Shinespiking being troublesome...speaking of, since his recovery is lagless if you don't land with the middle of the move, pretty much, would recovering high be the best option for Pichu recovery? I guess mixing it up is probably ideal tho.

No one in Panama uses Pikachu or Pichu, so I think I'm good on that front xD

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
most of the time, you have two options: high, or to the ledge. the other person just needs to cover the ledge and then react to you going on stage. there's only 1 frame of landing lag, but you still have to account for the time it takes for you to reach the ground, which usually gives the other person enough time to ledgedash grab or do whatever else they want to.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Think of how on up-B,s single jump is. The last pichu length of each jump can be used to hit the ground and still have only 1 frame of lag.

Top Bottom