• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pichu Social & General Discussion Thread

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
i think of pichu like a frankenstein of melee; most of his moves are decent versions of other characters' amazing moves (except for nair, pichu's is the best).

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Hehehehe they told that one joke, shhhh shhhh can't tell.

But i really Wanta find a way to hammer on airborne/corner people. Sometimes thunder or nair is good but I'm greedy and want more

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I prefer side-b as ics in the spots I Wanta cover as pichu, that upwards 45 degree angle. I Wanta drop ics for pichu again sometimes

That twilight zone is making me believe in things and I hope I didn't set my truck on fire leaving my heat on

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I don't take ics serious because they don't have non commit options and don't have time for tech skill grind(over the road semi driver). Also i broke my hand once, because they because I'm a perfectionist.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Play whatever character you enjoy more, just don't complain about their limitations knowing you make a conscious decision to main them.
ICs are mad technical tho.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Thats true, although I have to admit I don't use that as often as I used to, but if that's still on the previous subject, it still doesn't work well on cc.

But I like running sh uair then wavelanding to follow their DI.
Very good mid combo or as a combo extender. Terrible as a combo starter or general option in neutral (except as an anti-air sometimes)

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
It's a really fancy option vs ffers. I think there might be more merit to the merit to 0-death chain throwing on bf because of the platform lay out.

Going back to pichu again till I'm sad about fox being a really bad match-up idk there aren't any local foxes that can beat my ics reliably maybe I should go ics only vs fox and sometimes falcon and sheik.

Sheik is doable

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I prefer bf to fd in general. CGing ffers is nice, but other than that, the stage is not great for pichu. Playing on it just seems like a big gimmick.
On bf you have to deal with the top platform or w/e, but over all its a way better stage for pichu.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Like their recovery gets buffed super hard and they can camp better on bf but when I'm on it I live to about 180% or higher each stock on bf. But a campy ffers is easier to pick apart on fd and it's just really solid if You're focused on good nair and dd fundmentals

But I've slowed been thinking fox is a worse mu than sheik but most sheiks are just worse players soo

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I think Fox is way easier than Sheik since we can catch his approaches more with our tilts. Sheik's CGs just destroy us too much imo.

Battlefield >>>>>> FD. Pichu is amazing at using and controlling the platforms with DD mixed with shai dropping, especially with the threat of being able to nair / up air immediatly out of it. I just wish my fingers could keep up with what I want to do with the platforms since we can have crazy movement there.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
so how exactly does pivoting work? would i just have to input whatever during the pivot frame? i want to try pivot up tilts but that looks really hard... i can already do pivot smashes consistently but i just don't know what i'm supposed to hit for the tilts.

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I'm still trying to master them so I'm likly not a good source but I can hit more than half of them and I'm starting to like empty pivots which feel easier but seem less useful.

It's less a shorter perfect up-b.

Pivoting has a feel to it after a while and I think it's just like learning to do max length wavedash es where really it's a tight window but we all get use to it.

I right I could apply it to pichu but so far only as falcon marth and fox

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
so how exactly does pivoting work? would i just have to input whatever during the pivot frame? i want to try pivot up tilts but that looks really hard... i can already do pivot smashes consistently but i just don't know what i'm supposed to hit for the tilts.
for pivot utilts, learn to empty pivot, then utilt. It's something you'll have to practice a lot, but it starts getting faster and smoother with time.
Same with pivot ftilts (equally useful, especially if you can consistently pivot up angle ftilt)

pivot stuff can be a ***** to learn tho, I didn't even start getting good at pivoting until recently, tbh.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I 3-stocked a couple of my friends with Pichu. I think I understand why you guys like this character now.
Time to get good at Pichu, what's up guys?

trusty

Smash Apprentice
I'm relatively new to Pichu...I've been a Dr. Mario/Marth main for basically a decade lol without ever making an account on smashboards. How do you all practice with Pichu? Something about the size, speed, nair and throws are so crazy appealing.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
i just practice a lot of movement and do stuff as fast as possible. i do some stuff so i can get used to using moves at weird places so i can gimp people. actual techs to practice are perfect agility and instant wall jump stuff. the pivots that have also been mentioned here are a bit useful to know as well. short hop up air wavelands are good to be able to do. there's also the aerial interrupt with nair on higher platforms like the ones in battlefield. i also try to use nair in different ways. ...i should shadowbox more.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I like to throw out a flipper in training mode and hit it without getting hit, because that means You landed the disjoint on nair (his feet frame 5/6) and it really helps vs ffers so You can just run over their nairs or pikachu, s (who's isn't disjointed)

Then I do sh upair wl and moonwalking : P

trusty

Smash Apprentice
I like to throw out a flipper in training mode and hit it without getting hit, because that means You landed the disjoint on nair (his feet frame 5/6) and it really helps vs ffers so You can just run over their nairs or pikachu, s (who's isn't disjointed)

Then I do sh upair wl and moonwalking : P
Thanks that's really helpful, I've actually been having an extremely hard time landing the disjoint nair. It seemed a lot easier before I tried it haha

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
It's only a 1-2 frame window(based on spacing both ends) and it rough sometimes but it's great to make fox/falco/falcon just get ran over

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
movement. Things like instant shai drops, edge-cancels on different platform heights, aerial interrupt nairs, pivots, PA angles/PA OoS, ledge stuff, and perfect wavelands are what I mostly focus on when I practice pichu (which hasn't been as often as of late).

Obviously, playing with his basic combo game and approach mixups are super important as well. You should know how to cg, learn different grab setups and follow ups, and basic combo strings on different weight characters.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
can somebody teach me the art of switching the game to PAL when the other player isn't looking

i think pichu could greatly benefit from this AT

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
is it just me or does pichu have an aerial interrupt with up air. maybe i just goofed when i was practicing and it was just a normal one but idk.
I don't believe so.
But, cool thing I found a while back with ICs is that, even though they don't normally have aerial interrupts, they can AI several of their aerials on the platforms of FoD while they are rising (could probably work on other stages with rising platforms as well), this is probably applicable to other characters as well, however I'm not sure about pichu's uair.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Side b edge cancel walljump?
as in, just edge canceling with the lack of momentum to push you far away from the wall? seems like a cool gimmick. i'll mess around with it tomorrow.

it also seems i wasn't crazy about the up air thing. it wasn't an aerial interrupt, but something close, and i think this is what you were getting at, derf. http://gfycat.com/SlightThornyGalago it's pikachu, but i'm pretty sure pichu does the same thing. http://smashboards.com/threads/new-tech-platform-warp.385768/ he can also do it with nair, but it seems almost useless since it requires a later double jump and won't bring out a hitbox like up air.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
as in, just edge canceling with the lack of momentum to push you far away from the wall? seems like a cool gimmick. i'll mess around with it tomorrow.

it also seems i wasn't crazy about the up air thing. it wasn't an aerial interrupt, but something close, and i think this is what you were getting at, derf. http://gfycat.com/SlightThornyGalago it's pikachu, but i'm pretty sure pichu does the same thing. http://smashboards.com/threads/new-tech-platform-warp.385768/ he can also do it with nair, but it seems almost useless since it requires a later double jump and won't bring out a hitbox like up air.
yeah Pichu 100% has an AI with nair and it has a hitbox. You need to L-cancel it though since it doesn't AC (I've been edgecanceling them, which is better, but more situational).

I don't think he has one with uair, but he might. Schmoob could tell you.
AI's without hitboxes are also clutch af because they auto-cancel before the move is active, which gives you normal landing lag, so it's a lot faster than wavelanding onto a platform.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
this is different from the aerial interrupt. schmoob called it "platform warping." i'm pretty sure you just have to double jump on a specific frame and then do the up air as you rise onto the platform (it has to start 6 frames before iirc). the ECB will temporarily rise until you do the up air on the platform, which is when it will return to what would be the normal position, so pichu would land. it looks way harder to do than an aerial interrupt but i think it would be good for starting combos on fast fallers that are coming down on one of the platforms of battlefield or something.

ooh i forgot about the autocancel that would come with nair. yeah the nair one sounds a bit useful now, even with waiting 18 (i think) frames to double jump to make it work.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
this is different from the aerial interrupt. schmoob called it "platform warping." i'm pretty sure you just have to double jump on a specific frame and then do the up air as you rise onto the platform (it has to start 6 frames before iirc). the ECB will temporarily rise until you do the up air on the platform, which is when it will return to what would be the normal position, so pichu would land. it looks way harder to do than an aerial interrupt but i think it would be good for starting combos on fast fallers that are coming down on one of the platforms of battlefield or something.

ooh i forgot about the autocancel that would come with nair. yeah the nair one sounds a bit useful now, even with waiting 18 (i think) frames to double jump to make it work.
you can just do it out of fullhop on battlefield and a few other stages if you time nair correctly. The two things are actually the same idea, one just ACs because the ecb is extended during the ac frames and the other doesn't.

thegrovylekid

Smash Cadet
I plan on joining the Melee competitive scene soon, with Pichu. If worst comes to worst, I have a secondary Ice Climbers [I can wobble].

But any tips on Pichu?

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I suggest having a pocket high tier so you can learn how to do stuff other than nair which will help you a lot. For actual Pichu stuff, learn how to nair and don't be afraid to be patient if you have to.

Top Bottom