• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The One Winged Angel~ Sephiroth Social Thread

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Wouldnt be the first time Sephiroth killed Sora
Part of me still doesn't want Sora in Smash at all despite being a KH fan myself. Ignoring my recent grivances towards the series (and Sora as a character), I feel Sora being in Smash would just be a "monkey's paw" type of deal. Like yay you get Sora in Smash, but now Disney has a hold over this game because if you think Square Enix is stingy; Disney makes them look like a charity.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Late response but Sephiroth's trailer was flipping awesome. The way it built up with his iconic theme song and the CGI fights were a spectacle to behold. I'm still yet to be convinced moveset wise but hopefully the Sakurai Presentation can change that
Also I made this hypothetical match up between Sephiroth and my most wanted. Would be great if this ever becomes a reality.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Haven't been on this site for a while, got my main in Ridley and as such fell out of the DLC speculation. Most of the characters revealed so far got an "oh cool" reaction from me and I bought half of them on a whim (Joker, Banjo, Min-Min), but man Sephiroth was so hype. A new villain is also very welcome, and I can't wait to main Sephiroth along with Ridley.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Let's be real.

You knew it was Sephiroth as soon as the music started.
What I find kinda baffling is watching the reactions of people and some didn't seem to know it was him until he fully appeared. Idk if they were just being patient or what but, they gave off the impression that they didn't recognize the song and I'm like... how?

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Definitely expecting him to be slow and probably rather technical, as he seems to be taking a decent amount of inspiration from Dissidia Final Fantasy? I'm very curious how his one-wing works. Maybe similar to the Joker's Rebellion Gauge?

I am surprised how much Dissidia seems in his moveset/content - a lot of his attacks and even his stage is the one he had in Dissidia... Usually Sakurai feels like he's actively avoiding echoes of previous crossovers.
I just checked out some Sephiroth in Dissidia vids on Youtube and, you're right, from what we've seen so far, he seems heavily inspired/ripped? straight from Dissidia.

The one wing does seem to be something similar to Joker's rebellion gauge. It's either a comeback mechanic, or it's like Cloud, where you have to build up to it.

For some reason, I keep thinking that he'll play out like Ike. Slow, heavy hitter, and one sword swing usually does the trick, with little room for combos.

I'm thinking heavy.
Where do you guys think he'll be in the tier list.
I'm thinking High tier at lowest, especially if his powered up state works the way it looks like it works. Which would make this pass a lot more solid than the first with Min Min and Steve both being placed near the top of the tier lists, yet not high enough that they ruin the game.
I'm hoping top tier tbh.

It seems strange for Sephiroth of all characters to be anywhere below that.

So what weight do you guys think Sephiroth will be? Heavy or super heavy?

Imagining somewhere around the lines of Ganondorf.
I hope he won't be Ganondorf level superheavy... that's just not fun to play around with tbh, for me anyway. I'm referring to his speed btw.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
What I find kinda baffling is watching the reactions of people and some didn't seem to know it was him until he fully appeared. Idk if they were just being patient or what but, they gave off the impression that they didn't recognize the song and I'm like... how?
I recognized the tune but I didn't remember what it was from until he showed up tbh

7NATOR

Smash Master
So do you think there are some Cool Moves hidden from the Trailer that Sephiroth could still have, there's

-Heartless Angel (For this game, I Imagine it sets Opponents Percent to 999% if it hits)
-The Black Materia Meteor move
-That Fire Pillar move from Kingdom Hearts
-Supernova (Most Likely Safer Sephiroth uses the move in Final Smash
-Glide
-Teleport

Those are the moves I could remember Sephiroth having that haven't showed up yet. Sephiroth is looking cool though, and I haven't been this Excited for a Newcomer in Ultimate since ever honestly.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'm thinking he'll probably be around Cloud's weight. Even with the wing, I don't think it makes much sense to have him be very light. I also don't think he'll really cut it as a superheavy. I'm hoping he'll be high to top tier - hope he'll be more of a Min Min, where the attacks have the right properties to make an effective distance demon, and less of a Byleth, where everything is just too slow. Sephi doesn't have to be crazy fast or anything, just fast enough and/or good enough properties to be a good character (Ike is pretty slow, but still has good enough frame data and range to be a good character).

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Yeah I'm really hoping he's not as slow as Byleth.

Making a laggy or slow character just isn't fun to control but we shall see.

However I do think that's what they're going to do since its the only thing they can do to "balance" him I suppose since he's got a huge ass sword lol.

Personally I'd like to see him high to top tier, but I'm guessing mid to high just to be safe.

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
Some of them didn't recognize Safer Sephiroth either. I'm assuming the ones who didn't recognize him didn't play the original FF7 to the end and are probably new 7 fans due to the Remake, which ain't a bad thing of course. It was kind of funny seeing people's reaction to Sephiroth's transformation for the first time and being confused.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I know I'm late on posting, but man what an amazing reveal! Five years ago we had the spectacle of Cloud Strife joining in Smash 4, and he was one of my most wanted characters, but I thought we'd get a Black Mage or some other FF character. And now five years later when everyone is thinking "It's Ryu Hayabusa - he's cool, but so predictable." or "Lol get your Jonesy and rage about it, screw all Smash fans and have this abomination to make you guys hate us even more" ... We get the One-Winged Angel himself, Sephiroth!

I couldn't see the reveal live cause I was in the car and following live updates from Twitter, so seeing Sephiroth's name show up and I was shocked "Wait, SEPHIROTH!?" Funnily enough, on a whim the night before TGA, I booted up Final Fantasy VII Remake properly for the first time and quite surprised to see Sephiroth show up way earlier than I expected... AND NOW HE'S THE NEWCOMER!?!?!? I was just amazed to see the trailer and some of the pictures, but man, I never imagined Sephiroth himself joining the fight, even though I was casually wondering what he'd be like in Smash Bros just as a going-to-bed thought. Safe to say, Sephiroth looks amazing. Congrats to all who supported Sephiroth, and it'll be great to have this legendary villain join Smash Bros!

amageish

Smash Master
I just checked out some Sephiroth in Dissidia vids on Youtube and, you're right, from what we've seen so far, he seems heavily inspired/ripped? straight from Dissidia.

The one wing does seem to be something similar to Joker's rebellion gauge. It's either a comeback mechanic, or it's like Cloud, where you have to build up to it.
He is! I mean, Dissidia also draws from FFVII and KH too, of course, but he also has some stuff unique to Dissidia. It definitely feels to me more foundational then most non-fighting-game-characters who have had fighting game appearances before... You can also thank Dissidia for his counter...

True! I guess it'll be interesting to see which direction it is going.

So do you think there are some Cool Moves hidden from the Trailer that Sephiroth could still have, there's

-Heartless Angel (For this game, I Imagine it sets Opponents Percent to 999% if it hits)
-The Black Materia Meteor move
-That Fire Pillar move from Kingdom Hearts
-Supernova (Most Likely Safer Sephiroth uses the move in Final Smash
-Glide
-Teleport

Those are the moves I could remember Sephiroth having that haven't showed up yet. Sephiroth is looking cool though, and I haven't been this Excited for a Newcomer in Ultimate since ever honestly.
Those all definitely make sense, though I don't know if they could make Heartless Angel work that 1:1, even if that'd be amazing to see in action.

Supernova seems potentially OP in timed matches, but it'd be fun to see if it happens!

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to this thread to give my congratulations. I honestlywanted a different but the reveal was so good that I got hype for it. Sephiroth is an epic addition to the roster and fits quite well. Cloud vs Sephiroth matches can now happen in a different game, hehe.

The One Winged Angel theme was a must and clearly gave away when he was going to be the one but yeah, it still was awesome.

I can't wait to see how he works and the content he might bring. Spirits and music, hopefully.

I'll definitely like to main him considering I already main Cloud. Could be interesting to see the similarities and differences between the two's playstyles.

:bowser: .

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
My only gripe with the Limit time limit (heh) is that it's not visually represented. It'd be great if the Limit meter started to drain down after becoming full.

Looking at Sephiroth's moves, I'm most curious about the counter (presumably Scintilla). Ultimate and Smash 4 did a pretty good job with differentiating counter moves from each other, even if the difference is sometimes relatively small. If I'm not mistaken, Sephiroth's counter deals multiple hits instead of one, which is already unique in itself, but I wonder how it deals with projectiles, if at all.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
So what weight do you guys think Sephiroth will be? Heavy or super heavy?

Imagining somewhere around the lines of Ganondorf.
I'm thinking Heavy, around Ike's weight.
Where do you guys think he'll be in the tier list.
I'm thinking High tier at lowest, especially if his powered up state works the way it looks like it works. Which would make this pass a lot more solid than the first with Min Min and Steve both being placed near the top of the tier lists, yet not high enough that they ruin the game.
  • They must be aware of how obnoxious Masamune's range is so they'll be scared to make him too good. Smash 4 Cloud PTSD might also be a factor.
  • Another notable factor for high/top tier is if you have an anti-combo attack/special for fast characters (a fast NAir for example), or assets so good that they make up for not having one. I don't think he will have the former but we have to see about the latter.
  • I could see them making him have below average (or worse) speed (another slow DLC character... woo-hoo...), so OWA mode should at least give him the push to be out of bottom tier.
I imagine he's gonna be between high and low tier (surprising prediction, I know).

Ideally I'd like him to be a Low/Mid High Tier: Out of Mid Tier Hell but not so good that he's not fun to fight against (make the Boss Battle challenging, but still fair 😉).

One small point

For his victory theme, I don't want him to share Cloud's one.
Instead I want his victory theme to be closing Sting of One Winged Angel.
You know- DUUUN Dun da da~ SEPHIROTH!
Or at least give him an electric guitar/opera version of the FF7 fanfare.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I personaly dont like the black wing on sephiroths back One winged angel refrences this

this

is pretty dumb and isnt even in FF7

still i like Sephiroth

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Little Quiz how often do you encounter Sephiroth in FF7
Well after killing the President of Shinra offscreen he first appears properly in game as a guest party member in Cloud's flashback after leaving Midgar from there the plot is chasing after him, trying to stop his plot to use the black materia to summon meteor and wound the planet, allowing him to access the lifestream.

In the remake not only is his murder of the President onscreen but you fight him at the end just as you're leaving Midgar.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Well after killing the President of Shinra offscreen he first appears properly in game as a guest party member in Cloud's flashback after leaving Midgar from there the plot is chasing after him, trying to stop his plot to use the black materia to summon meteor and wound the planet, allowing him to access the lifestream.

In the remake not only is his murder of the President onscreen but you fight him at the end just as you're leaving Midgar.
the funny thing is youre correct and incorect at the same time
Let me rephrase my Question how often in the Present do you encounter sephiroths Body

Top Bottom