• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The One Winged Angel~ Sephiroth Social Thread

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Yeah I support. There's a lot going for Seph and I think he'd be a really awesome addition that many wouldn't see coming at all.

-He's Cloud's enemy. Cloud is already in the game, and the game seems to have a heroes and villains theme going on a little bit, based on K Rool's trailer.
-He's been a main antagonist in FF7, the main antagonist of it's movie sequel (which has already been referenced by Cloud's costumes), a secondary antagonist/starting ally in the prequel, a playable fighter in all three FF fighting game spinoffs, an optional boss in two KH games and is overall one of the most popular villains in all of gaming.
-Sakurai has already referenced the Square crossover as "Final Fantasy VII" specifically during the initial direct, rather than FF as a whole. This suggests that this one game/game compendium may get more attention this time.
-Tons of unique potential. His disjoints can be reduced by simply using in-game FF7 Masamune rather than the elongated version in the side games.
-The lack of FF7 music and ATs is suspect, implying that additional FF7 content may be coming soon since it's part of the base game and not DLC now. Seph would be a sick playable fighter, and Aerith or Tifa could be an Assist.
-Japan actually really likes him and talks about him decently often. He scores pretty well in polls over there, in many cases better than characters we consider huge like Isaac.

I think he has a shot, and everyone just downplays him because of Geno, FF7 stigmas, and the belief that 3rd parties cant get two unique fighters.
Just going to repost this original post from myself 2 and a half years ago to validate that I actually posted it. I have been arguing that he had a good shot for a while but couldn't remember if I ever actually visited this thread to express it. Turns out I was like the 4th or 5th post lol

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Kudos to all Sephiroth supporters. Totally didn't see this coming. At any rate, it's nice to see a villain making the cut (pun intended) for a change.

Overall, judging from the videos Sephiroth looks like someone I'll enjoy using. He is a magic-based sword wielder with a long reach. Unlike Cloud, whom is more aggressive, Sephiroth looks more tactics-based.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Sephy got the biggest reaction out of me since Cloud, and the reason is the same: They're a character that I really liked and wanted in the game, but my expectations for them to actually make it were near nonexistent. So happy with this. Hopefully we'll get more than 1 additional FFVII song too! I also can't wait to learn more about Sephiroth's moveset, see his victory animations etc...

Mii costume predictions/hopes: Geno (Gunner), Tifa (Brawler), Barret (Gunner), Aerith (Swordfighter)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I really wiish the rest of my day didn't ruin this.

Oh well. No Lara Croft.Se[ji os pretty icomoc/

Joping for pass 3.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Incredibly hyped guys easily made this pass for me. I have yet to play ff7 (gonna change that 2021) but I became a Sephiroth fanboy back in middle/high school thanks to advent children and wanted him as a pipe dream for smash, I remember listening to that fire theme song every day in this one computer class I had so as soon as I heard that **** pop I popped the hell off lol. Damn what a pick.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Woo Sephiroph! It's nice to see him in Smash and I'm very excited for the potential in more FF content in general. I'm super hyped by the music/spirits/Mii-Costume potential... Even if they're relatively small in comparison to other franchises, I'll take what I can get.

I also notice the Highwind appears on the stage, which makes me wonder if it'll drop people off a la the Morganamobile does in Mementos? It probably won't, but they showed so little of the stage in the trailer that I feel like they're hiding something...

I've gotta ask:
In the trailers, why were Sephiroth and Cloud subitled while Min Min wasn't despite her speaking a real non-English language?
I believe Min Min's line is literally just "I love ramen!" using archived ARMS recording, as opposed to unique dialogue recorded for this trailer about how Sephy is coming to smash.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Congrats :D
I think it's safe to say most of us absolutely didn't expect this, and that's GREAT
If there was one major video game villain that needed to be in Smash, it was definitely Sephiroth, and he looks AMAZING
Probably one of the best smash trailer to date too (the Mario impaled scene will forever remain legendary)
AND FINALLY MORE FF MUSIC (hopefully more than 2 new ones, even though that may be asking for too much lmao)
Now we just need Eggman to round out the most iconic video game villains of all time ^^

Kokiden

Smash Ace
So how do you guys think he's going to play out?

He seems to fall into the ranged yet slow fighters category, where start up and end lag could be what holds him back.

I'm only going off by what's shown in the trailer btw so nothing definite and just speculating only.

I hope his recovery and speed aren't too bad at least.

I estimate he may be similar to Ike, Byleth or Corrin in terms of movement.

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
Dropping by to say congrats to all of the Sephiroth supporters. Not only did we get a well-deserved and badass villain to Smash, but we're getting more FF7 content in Smash Bros, something that we seriously needed more imo.

Mii costume predictions/hopes: Geno (Gunner), Tifa (Brawler), Barret (Gunner), Aerith (Swordfighter)
Yeah these were my predictions for a while but I had Sephiroth as a mii instead of Tifa (wanted Tifa playable more). As far as the Mii costumes is there a chance that they will be the chibi looking low poly models? I'd say it would be very fitting if it actually happened, and I don't think Sakurai would miss this opportunity to give us a low poly Aerith.....just so he can reference her tragic scene in Smash again. Third time's a charm.:troll:

Geno's costume coming back as one of those premium/deluxe mii costumes is something I'm expecting to see even more now. If all of the supposed "evidence" for Geno coming Smash is anything to consider and how our next fighter is a Square character, we could see Geno and a bonus track be revealed in the Mii showcase.

D

Deleted member

Man... you guys got the BEST trailer.. it's visually stunning. AND the best version of One-Winged Angel. Let's hope it actually makes it in-game, yeah? Hated how the DQ orchestral tracks didn't make it in, they were garbage MIDIs instead. Thanks, Sugiyama.

A third-party villain - and a first-time DLC villain. It absolutely had to be Sephiroth here, dude is just iconic. Although Eggman would also have been a good pick for that.

Really happy for you guys, genuinely thought Sephi missed his chance after how Final Fantasy was treated prior to his reveal. So surprised by his sudden reveal, he looks and plays awesome!

Incredibly hyped guys easily made this pass for me. I have yet to play ff7 (gonna change that 2021) but I became a Sephiroth fanboy back in middle/high school thanks to advent children and wanted him as a pipe dream for smash, I remember listening to that fire theme song every day in this one computer class I had so as soon as I heard that **** pop I popped the hell off lol. Damn what a pick.
I INSTANTLY recognized that version the second it came on. Those first few seconds.. instantly clicked in my brain, and I went "Holy ****" all throughout the trailer. Definitely one of the best trailers we have ever gotten, period. It really did have it all.

I've listened to the AC version over and over so many times in the past, haha. So good. I also thought Sephi was a pipedream, especially in the lead-up to the base game. Kinda gave up after base-game though.. but I definitely wanted to see him in Smash one day.. and here we are.

I guess it was inevitable, considering Min-Min and Byleth's ranges. Dude's sword ain't an issue anymore. That was his biggest hurdle, I think.

Ridley's too big? Sephi's sword is too long, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
So... I wanted to say congratulations, Sephiroth is a really cool inclusion since he is THE villain of FF series.
But now that Sephiroth is in, you think they will include more than 2 songs this time?
And if they do, what will they be?
The Original Ones from the PS1? The Ones from the Remake? New Smash Remixes? Remixes from the DISSIDIA series?

D

Deleted member

So... I wanted to say congratulations, Sephiroth is a really cool inclusion since he is THE villain of FF series.
But now that Sephiroth is in, you think they will include more than 2 songs this time?
And if they do, what will they be?
The Original Ones from the PS1? The Ones from the Remake? New Smash Remixes? Remixes from the DISSIDIA series?
Probably new remixes, and the originals. Might be too early to add the remake tracks?

Hoping for JENOVA, personally. Crazy Motorcycle Chase and Those Chosen by the Planet would be rad. ESPECIALLY the latter, If there's any track where I think of Seph that's not the obvious One-Winged Angel, it's that one.

Edit: Birth of a God, too!

Last edited by a moderator:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Just wanted to pop in and say I'm really excited for all of the Sephiroth fans!

I come from an incredibly conflicted wantlist of Square characters, but I have to say, Sephiroth was absolutely 100% the right choice. While I'm a bit bummed Neku didn't get his chance, I admit TWEWY as a game, even with its recent resurgence, is a pretty niche title in their lineup of RPGs (and a Neku moveset isn't intuitively obvious). Sora may or may not have had some legal battles, but looking at charts like the ones here, https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best_selling_Square-Enix_games, it's very obvious that Final Fantasy VII has a huge fanbase. With the Remake series recently releasing and probable next half decade of installments, Cloud and Sephiroth will probably remain relevant for a long time. I'm bummed for Geno fans, and while there are some diehard Geno fans here that were put off by Sephiroth, I think as a whole everyone has a lot of Sephiroth support.

I think that's what I like most about the pick.

• Tired of all of these protags from various series being added and just want a bad guy? Sephiroth is like the quintessential villain.
  • Kingdom Hearts fan? Okay, so he's not Sora, but Sephiroth has been in at least three KH titles which include 1 and 2, which almost all fans of the series have played. While not true for everyone, I think a really cool appeal of the original KH games was the meshing of Disney and Final Fantasy characters, and I know at least myself and all my high school friends that were KH fans also liked FF. Guess where I'm going with this is while he's not Sora, he's in a game that all Sora fans by default would have played (and probably liked, though if we're being hypercritical I could understand if your mileage may vary).
  • Geno fans. Okay, sore subject here, but Super Mario RPG came out in 1996. I hadn't played a ton of RPGs prior to that, on account of me being 8 at the time. Final Fantasy 7 came out shortly after in 1997. SMRPG was really one of the games that got me into RPGs, and without that introduction, who knows if I would have continued to play RPGs. SMRPG was good but FF7 was revolutionary.
  • Other square swordfighters. 2B comes to mind, and yeah, 2B would have been cool, but other than the gender, both characters are black clad bad asses with white hair and large weapons. It's not hard to like the aesthetics of both.
  • Part of the group that actually likes anime sword fighters? Sephiroth's katana is pretty distinctly different than every other Smash character, and his anime form One Winged Angel form is badass.
  • Fed up with the "Oh, it's gotta be Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, Dante, Geno (I'm a hypocrite sometimes), Doomguy, [flavor of the month bandwagon pick that everyone claims is 100% a lock]"? I don't think anyone thought Sephiroth was impossible or necessarily unlikely but I'm almost positive no one thought he was coming. I semi expected him Base game, but midway through S2 of DLC is quite surprising.

So yeah, I'm a fan. I don't really have a particular bias towards the character. He looks cool as hell and the trailer is quite honestly my second favorite of all Smash trailers (next to Banjo) due to just how epic the animation, music, and general production is. I've been watching hours of reaction videos on YouTube and so far I've only found a couple people who are at most indifferent, the overwhelmingly positive reception, including those from Kingdom Hearts fans, despite nailing that coffin (at least for this season pass probably), is incredible.

So again, great pick and congrats to all the fans!

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Man... you guys got the BEST trailer.. it's visually stunning. AND the best version of One-Winged Angel. Let's hope it actually makes it in-game, yeah? Hated how the DQ orchestral tracks didn't make it in, they were garbage MIDIs instead. Thanks, Sugiyama.

A third-party villain - and a first-time DLC villain. It absolutely had to be Sephiroth here, dude is just iconic. Although Eggman would also have been a good pick for that.

Really happy for you guys, genuinely thought Sephi missed his chance after how Final Fantasy was treated prior to his reveal. So surprised by his sudden reveal, he looks and plays awesome!

I INSTANTLY recognized that version the second it came on. Those first few seconds.. instantly clicked in my brain, and I went "Holy ****" all throughout the trailer. Definitely one of the best trailers we have ever gotten, period. It really did have it all.

I've listened to the AC version over and over so many times in the past, haha. So good. I also thought Sephi was a pipedream, especially in the lead-up to the base game. Kinda gave up after base-game though.. but I definitely wanted to see him in Smash one day.. and here we are.

I guess it was inevitable, considering Min-Min and Byleth's ranges. Dude's sword ain't an issue anymore. That was his biggest hurdle, I think.

Ridley's too big? Sephi's sword is too long, lol.
Yeah my absolute favorite part of watching reaction videos is people losing their minds the moment the first part of "One-Winged Angel" starts playing. You KNOW a theme is iconic when that alone sets off flags.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Unreal...
UNREAL!

You guys got him!
I'm so happy for y'all!
I never saw him coming tbh.
I expected another Square-Enix character, yes, but couldn't put my finger on who.

I was blown away by that trailer, OMG. Has to be among my favorites now.
I think I got pretty much every reference.

Next week can't come soon enough!

Oh, and of course, congratulations!!
(And finally another villain I give a crap about, lol)

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
So I’m curious now what this trailer means for the potential music selections, because, back in SM4SH when Cloud was revealed, we basically heard the exact two songs we got as music tracks and that was it, both being the OG songs straight from FF7 without being remixed. But not only did Sephiroth get the full glam treatment with a CGI trailer, but they didn’t use the FF7 or even the FF7RE version of One-Winged Angel as the backing track - they used the Advent Children version.

Which means that anything is potentially on the table as far as music is concerned and it won’t necessarily be limited to the OG music from the OG game this time

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
So I’m curious now what this trailer means for the potential music selections, because, back in SM4SH when Cloud was revealed, we basically heard the exact two songs we got as music tracks and that was it, both being the OG songs straight from FF7 without being remixed. But not only did Sephiroth get the full glam treatment with a CGI trailer, but they didn’t use the FF7 or even the FF7RE version of One-Winged Angel as the backing track - they used the Advent Children version.

Which means that anything is potentially on the table as far as music is concerned and it won’t necessarily be limited to the OG music from the OG game this time
So will Square Enix continue to be stingy with their Final Fantasy stuff? Will we get any Final Fantasy spirits?

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
I really didn`t expect another FF character and I couldn`t be happier with Sephiroth! I honestly can`t say I was too hyped with the characters in fighter pass 1 but I`m loving fighter pass 2 so far.

I`m hoping for a ton of music this time, but we could get just a few more songs which would be pretty disappointing. I`m already too happy to let something like that ruin my hype!

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Congrats Guys!

Didn't expect him but I'm not surprised he got in. He was certainly a reveal that was suited for the Game Awards.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
You know I just realized something

i think sephiroth had a spirit as well like min min

so the “Spirit deconfirm” fan rule is even more deconfirmed

Top Bottom