• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The One Winged Angel~ Sephiroth Social Thread

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Believe it or not, I always thought Sephiroth had a really good shot and was really slept on. I theorized he might be DLC way back when, in part because of how barren the FF7 content is in Ultimate. Many said it was Square being stingy, but I always thought it was because Sephiroth was being considered.

And I am unbelievably hype. My signature should attest to that. This is the most hype I've been since Cloud. FF7 is my favorite game of all time and I love Remake too.

Makes sense they would reveal him since FF7 Remake is a nominee for Game Awards this year. Good advertising, and a super iconic character to boot. Will buy as soon as I can.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's always fun to see the threads with only 10 or so pages and think how happy the people who posted on it years ago must feel with their amazing foresight. Super hyped for Sephiroth!

Cmooon Barret Mii Gunner
It really is. My Duck Hunt Dog support thread had about 10 pages before he was leaked and finally confirmed in SSB4.

Very excited to see what Sephiroth will bring to Smash... especially Mii costumes.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
YAY! Finally, Sephiroth is our first non-primary non-echo 3rd party rep. He is also the first 3rd party playable character to be a villain and the first to be an antagonist.

Not only have I wanted Sephiroth to be playable since Cloud made it in, but I also hope that Final Fantasy gets more representation. We really need more Final Fantasy representation.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Passing by as well to give Sephiroth supporters my honest congratulations. This character broke a lot of conceptions and it's great!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Hmmm, so I wonder, was FP2 always planned? I mean, the base game got nothing FF, but now we got a Sephiroth in smash. could the reason there was nothing in the base game because they wanted to hold off for DLC?
I think that was just from having to simultaneously license Cloud and his content for three games.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So seeing as I was the OP of this thread, I feel I should say some words.

Starting this thread out was something I did on a whim. I saw that Spehiroth, one of gaming's greatest villains of all time, did not have a support thread. After Cloud's reveal, this surprised me and I started this one up. In hindsight, i wish I did a stronger job on the OP. I might end up editing it down the line to show some more love to Sephiroth seeing as he got in.

My journey with Sephiroth started in Kingdom Hearts ironically. Seeing Sephiroth as the big scary super boss was super hype for me, and to be honest was a driving force for me getting FF7 down the line. FF7 to be honest is my favorite FF. It is something about its world and characters that made me smile. I know FF6 has more, but I feel the smaller cast helped FF7. Not everyone could be as interesting in FF6 as Terra, Locke, Celes, or Shadow. In FF7, it felt like everyone got the right amount of time to get a full character arc in there. I love the world of FF7. It has a magical soundtrack. It is one of the all time greats.

So here I was, still hype for KH3 and FF7 Remake, and made the Sephiroth thread on a whim. While Seph did not show in KH3, he was handled well in FF7 Remake. I was worried they would Advent Children it and overuse the Sephiroth Cloud dynamic, but they did so in a way that make sense. FF7 Remake is my second favorite game that came out this year, after Crash 4. It honestly is amazing and understands what made the originals work.

So you would think that as the person who started this thread, Sephiroth was my first Square choice right? Well no, I wanted Neku more, but Sephiroth was someone i routinely pushed. I always would say the character was slept on, and that he had so much going for him. Regardless, I wanted Sephiroth, and was hopeful that we could get both.

Fast forward to today. I was dreading Jonesy being the choice. I told one of my friends it was either Crash or Jonesy. I get a call while walking my dog. He says it was not who he was expecting but he was hype. So I rush home and watch it. I skipped by chance right to when One Winged Angel cued up, and I was elated. I was giddy as heck and so hyped.

To all the other OG Sephiroth supporters, I will update the OP with a support list, I am glad you all are as happy as I am. I plan on making a better OP for the thread as well. I also will say that much like Joker and Banjo, I will make a strong effort to main this character and grab his amiibo.

D

Deleted member

I think they weren't lying when they say "everyone is here".

Pristine

Smash Cadet
Welp.... It's been 2 years since I've been on these forums, albeit I was never all that active save for being a firm advocate for Sephiroth. And well, now that he's here.... I can finally be satisfied indefinitely as far as Smash Ultimate goes. Well, here's to hoping I stick around here and get to play with some of you.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
The "everyone is here" almost didn't happen because of Cloud. So I thought Sephiroth getting in would basically be impossible. Glad I was wrong about that. Never played Final Fantasy 7 so no real attachment from there. However Sephiroth has always looked really friggin cool whenever he fights and I like his style. I especially love hearing how people saying he's absurdly hard in Kingdom Hearts because he's a secret super boss. There was a point in time where if someone were to ask "what character personifies being badass?" I would've pointed to Sephiroth. So I love the heck out of him. I wished he was in so hard when I heard Cloud join Smash 4, but I figured that would never happen. I was so incredibly shocked by his reveal. Despite not playing Final Fantasy, just something about seeing Galeem get sliced like that made my brain "Wait. Seems familiar... Could it be? Nooo it couldn't".

There is a huge chance I'll end up maining Sephiroth as he's at the top of the list of characters I will likely main. Until then I'm gonna play a bit of Cloud because it seems appropriate right now.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
I never really supported Sephiroth, but I wanted to drop by and congratulate you all! Even as a Geno fan I think Sephiroth will be an epic character, and I think he might just become my new main.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Congrats Sephiroth fans! I definitely wasn't expecting him. While I'm not a big FF fan, it is a big deal that he is in. He is one of gaming's most iconic villains and he looks dam cool. I'm excited for his inclusion and his presentation. And I'm very happy FF will get more content in Smash.

What's funny is that a few days ago I was playing Smash and I was like, "I almost forgot FF was represented in this". That definitely won't happen again. lol

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I've gotta ask:
In the trailers, why were Sephiroth and Cloud subitled while Min Min wasn't despite her speaking a real non-English language?

Last edited:
Top Bottom