• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The One Winged Angel~ Sephiroth Social Thread

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
SEPHIROTH.
The time has come. Idk man. It feels like they could end it with that but there are still 3 characters left and not 2. I dont agree with 1 square thing nintendo can get anybody they want. Nitendo doing good work.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
So... I wanted to say congratulations, Sephiroth is a really cool inclusion since he is THE villain of FF series.
But now that Sephiroth is in, you think they will include more than 2 songs this time?
And if they do, what will they be?
The Original Ones from the PS1? The Ones from the Remake? New Smash Remixes? Remixes from the DISSIDIA series?
I'm expecting the PS1 versions and maybe the FF7R versions of the songs already in the game. I just hope it's at least 5 more tracks (specially JENOVA).
Hungrybox had the best reaction to Sephiroth in my opinion:

I prefer Tweek's:
So will Square Enix continue to be stingy with their Final Fantasy stuff? Will we get any Final Fantasy spirits?
Every single Fighters Pass character will come with a Spirit Board. Sakurai/Nintendo said so a while back.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i would just like to say congrats to you sephiroth fans. i myself was not much of a supporter though i did start to come round to idea of him being in smash when i finally played FF7 properly earlier in the year. ive been more than familiar with him for many years what with KH and AC but playing FF7 really gave me the sense of why hes such an iconic villain. more so that the other stuff or just reading it on the wiki.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You know I just realized something

i think sephiroth had a spirit as well like min min

so the “Spirit deconfirm” fan rule is even more deconfirmed
As I've said when I saw someone thinking Sephiroth was an AT: That would require Final Fantasy to have a decent amount of content in the base game.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Just thought about something; if we get the version of One-Winged Angel that was in Sephiroth's trailer, that will technically make it the first song in the game that's not from a video game, because the version of One-Winged Angel in the trailer is specifically the version from Advent Children.

amageish

Smash Master
So how do you guys think he's going to play out?

He seems to fall into the ranged yet slow fighters category, where start up and end lag could be what holds him back.

I'm only going off by what's shown in the trailer btw so nothing definite and just speculating only.

I hope his recovery and speed aren't too bad at least.

I estimate he may be similar to Ike, Byleth or Corrin in terms of movement.
Definitely expecting him to be slow and probably rather technical, as he seems to be taking a decent amount of inspiration from Dissidia Final Fantasy? I'm very curious how his one-wing works. Maybe similar to the Joker's Rebellion Gauge?

I am surprised how much Dissidia seems in his moveset/content - a lot of his attacks and even his stage is the one he had in Dissidia... Usually Sakurai feels like he's actively avoiding echoes of previous crossovers.

Just thought about something; if we get the version of One-Winged Angel that was in Sephiroth's trailer, that will technically make it the first song in the game that's not from a video game, because the version of One-Winged Angel in the trailer is specifically the version from Advent Children.
Actually, we got beaten for that honour by a Kirby song using its anime version back in Brawl! This is a precedent I would love to continue though...

Throwing out my most-wanted songs: J-E-N-O-V-A and One-Winged Angel are the two super obligatory ones to me. I'd love to have Bombing Mission and The Price of Freedom too, even if they aren't super focused here. Hollow (vocal or non-vocal) would be amazing if they were repping the remake directly. I'll also take Aerith's Theme if they are doing remixes to make some things more... fight-y...

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I think Sakurai added some KH stuff like his black wing and probably the orb attacks
The black wing was stylized first by Kingdom Hearts, but has since been canonized in the main series too. The dark orbs is also one of his signature moves which he had in the original game, Shadow Flare.

Seems like they're sticking with many of the signature attacks conceived in either OG, KH or Dissidia, as we've also seen Godspeed (the multi-slash lunge on Ike) and Hell's Gate (shown when he "stabs" Zelda in the trailer, likely his down aerial). All of these moves appeared in one of those three games and have also been brought back in FF7:R. Sakurai knows his source material!

Oh and his final smash seems to be Safer form using his ultimate attack, Super Nova. I expected the latter, but having him change into his final form from OG (complete with the same camera angle and even positioning the victims like the playable party from that game!) Is a really nice touch.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The black wing was stylized first by Kingdom Hearts, but has since been canonized in the main series too. The dark orbs is also one of his signature moves which he had in the original game, Shadow Flare.

Seems like they're sticking with many of the signature attacks conceived in either OG, KH or Dissidia, as we've also seen Godspeed (the multi-slash lunge on Ike) and Hell's Gate (shown when he "stabs" Zelda in the trailer, likely his down aerial). All of these moves appeared in one of those three games and have also been brought back in FF7:R. Sakurai knows his source material!

Oh and his final smash seems to be Safer form using his ultimate attack, Super Nova. I expected the latter, but having him change into his final form from OG (complete with the same camera angle and even positioning the victims like the playable party from that game!) Is a really nice touch.
Well, the more I know lol

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Well, the more I know lol
It will be really cool to see what else they take from his source games. He has tons of moves between all of his appearances. Deen, Shadow Flare, Havoc Wing, Super Nova, Pale Horse, Scintilla, Godspeed, Aurelion Strike, Octaslash, Heartless Angel, Hell's Gate, Stigma, Firaga, Thundaga, Blizzaga, Telluric Fury, Teleportation, Materia Shields, Wall....the list goes on and on. Dude is stacked.

Seems like he has some sort of barrier/counter that may be Wall/Scintilla, so we may have those moves too.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I really gotta thank Sephiroth's inclusion.

Because if not for it, I probably never would have found out about the awesome song that is One Winged Angel.
Its actually pretty impressive that you've never heard it before. The Rebirth version from Remake is insane. Hope you enjoy it!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Its actually pretty impressive that you've never heard it before. The Rebirth version from Remake is insane. Hope you enjoy it!
I've never been a Final Fantasy fan tbh nor played the games.

Despite this, I was legit hyped for Sephiroth's inclusion because he more than earns his spot being among the most iconic video game villains.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It's a shame some people don't understand the importance of someone as iconic as this character being in Smash. Most call him boring and that he doesn't deserve the spot in Smash Brothers and that he's just another anime Swordsman. But little do they know that he is the biggest inclusion in this game and you can't have Cloud without Spehiroth

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So what weight do you guys think Sephiroth will be? Heavy or super heavy?

Imagining somewhere around the lines of Ganondorf.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
We had E3 songs before (the Smash version of His World is from there), including a remix of a trailer theme from Breath of the Wild.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

I actually think they'll pull a Mewtwo and make him lighter than expected because he "floats", if only for balance. Maybe even lighter than Cloud, which is fine as long as he's still taller.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Sephiroth is definitely looking like he'll be hellish for people with Nintendo's online

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I was thinking about this last night. I know it would be unlikely and corny and probably annoying, but what if the announcer calls out Sephiroth's name in the same intonation as when his name is mentioned in One Winged Angel?
That would be funny as hell hearing Xander Mobus pronounce Sephiroth the same way as the choir does in One Winged Angel.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

I'm thinking heavy.
Where do you guys think he'll be in the tier list.
I'm thinking High tier at lowest, especially if his powered up state works the way it looks like it works. Which would make this pass a lot more solid than the first with Min Min and Steve both being placed near the top of the tier lists, yet not high enough that they ruin the game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm thinking heavy.
Where do you guys think he'll be in the tier list.
I'm thinking High tier at lowest, especially if his powered up state works the way it looks like it works. Which would make this pass a lot more solid than the first with Min Min and Steve both being placed near the top of the tier lists, yet not high enough that they ruin the game.
Probably around where Simon and Richter are at in the tier list.

Top Bottom