• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The One Inch Punch" A Mii Brawler Insta KO Tech

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So I've been talking about this secret technique of mine that I found out about last week, it's an Instant KO trick that the Mii Brawler can perform with his Piston Punch Custom Up B. As of right now I do not have any video to show you, but I will update this front post later as I have performed it in tournament on live stream. Once the video gets posted to youtube I will post it here.

EDIT: Here is a demo that SC2_Bench on Reddit uploaded demonstrating the trick, so courtesy to him for doing this. It's pretty much the same thing I do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rybmpr0kJKg

Anyways, let me explain it to you.

Mii Brawler's Piston Punch has a strange hitbox on the 1st hit of it. It's a set knockback, meaning regardless of percent, the opponents will always fly the same distance. For some reason, Brawler's Piston punch's 1st hit has an insane amount of set knockback for absolutely no reason at all, its supposed to combo into the rest of his up b, but if the 2nd punch misses, ZOOM! Off the opponent goes, flying off the top and dying at any percent, even 0%.

To pull this off you must simply do a d-throw or an u-throw into his up b. (To clear some confusion, yes, you do have to short hop, jump, or double jump to space yourself correctly depending on the situation) Though it has to be spaced correctly that the opponent is about 1-inch above you, like close enough that you could almost land Jigglypuff's rest with it, but not close enough. This will allow the 1st hit to hit and the 2nd to miss. D-throw into the one inch punch is a true combo, however, the U-throw to the One Inch punch is not, but they MUST air dodge to avoid this, use this to your advantage and you can easily bait out their airdodge and punish with anything you want. It's incredibly crazy.

Now, for who this works on, its heavily based on Weight Rankings, as heavier characters such as Bowser, DDD, Ganon, it will not work on, while lighter characters such as Jigglypuff, Rosalina, G&W, it is incredibly easy. Here is a list of weights.

http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-weight-rankings.367479/

Because this is a set knockback, this will kill opponents depending on what level you do this at, including on platforms, whether you did d-throw or u-throw, or what the opponents percent is, its a lot to take into consideration, so I hope others help me with this lab time and figure out when everyone will die from these attacks. This is what I've collected so far.

These are when characters will instantly die from getting hit by the One Inch Punch. Some of these might be slightly inaccurate, but I assure you it works. (Vectoring and DI are not taken into account yet)

Jigglypuff - D-throw at 0% Any stage

Rosalina (and everyone lighter) - U-throw on Ground Level of Yoshi's Island at 0%
- D-throw on Ground Level on Yoshi's Island at 30%
- D-throw on YI's Platform at 0%

Lucario (and everyone Lighter) - U-throw on YI's Platform at 0%
D-throw on YI's Platform at 50%

Shulk (and everyone Lighter) - U-throw on the Top Platform of BF, 0%

Bowser (and everyone Lighter) - U-throw on the Highest Platform on Prisim Tower, at 0%.

Yeah, its incredibly crazy and this is just simply the start. I do hope to get my videos up here soon demonstrating it, but if you have any questions and would like to contribute to this, that would be the best! This is an incredibly huge find and will change the way Brawler is played for sure.

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
What in the ****. It's not even hard to perform. :(

It's much easier done off a dthrow, but still works as an amazing platform-landing punisher.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
What in the ****. It's not even hard to perform. :(

It's much easier done off a dthrow, but still works as an amazing platform-landing punisher.
Yeah, the d-throw will be the way to go for sure. The only advantages that the U-throw has is that it sends them higher.

It's easy enough to pull off in actual tournament sets against good players, thats for sure. However things such as DI and vectoring will make it harder to pull it off, and it's pretty much not useable for the most part on stages like FD. Yoshi's Island Brawl, Prisim Tower, and BF are you stages of choice.

Now the thing is, YI Brawl and Prisim tower aren't going to be on the Wii U version, so we will have to wait and see if there will be any stages with lower ceilings that we can abuse this tech on. For a Mii Brawler, the lower the ceiling the better, he's best at killing off the top.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Excited to see videos.

Thinking probably a bit too ahead, but if patches are indeed happening in this game, this is definitely one of those things that will be fixed. :/

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
So, just checking, what happens if the opponent vectors towards the other hitboxes of the move to try and get hit by them? I'm not even suggesting SDI at this point, but if you're doing it out of a down/up-throw and the opponent is aware of this OHKO they may have enough time to react consistently whenever they get grabbed, just in case. Either way it's a good discovery of course. And a great name for it too.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Welp, this was a good way to get people to try to ban this character.

To be sure, the true combo counter in training mode doesnt account for things like DI, SDI or other ways to escape, so better check on that stuff.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
As I said since day one. Customs cause balance issues and it turns out I am right. I wonder how many more stupid **** we will find

All of my future events will have custom moves banned.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
As I said since day one. Customs cause balance issues and it turns out I am right. I wonder how many more stupid **** we will find

Did you ban IC, Diddy, Toon Link, and D3 in your Brawl tournaments too? Because if zero to death hits are banworthy before you even investigate how possible it is to avoid them, then you should have.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Did you ban IC, Diddy, Toon Link, and D3 in your Brawl tournaments too? Because if zero to death hits are banworthy before you even investigate how possible it is to avoid them, then you should have.
^ This, as broken as it sounds, it doesn't come so easily in a match. DIing makes it harder to land, vectoring will certainly help you live from at it at lower areas, and stages like FD it will hardly ever be seen. Regardless though, Pistion Punch by itself is already strong enough, its sort of just an extra bonus. I guess somebody can learn how to do this 100% of the time and then it could be something to be reckoned with.

Sounds like a more broken version of Roy's upB kill in Melee
That's pretty much exactly whats happening. Except a lot less situational.

So, just checking, what happens if the opponent vectors towards the other hitboxes of the move to try and get hit by them? I'm not even suggesting SDI at this point, but if you're doing it out of a down/up-throw and the opponent is aware of this OHKO they may have enough time to react consistently whenever they get grabbed, just in case. Either way it's a good discovery of course. And a great name for it too.
I had my friend only hold down as Rosalina for me to try this trick and all that happened was he survived longer in an area where it should've worked, of course, you can only vector it so much so if its still done higher up and they're still lighter, they'll die still. All of this needs to be taken into the lab, as of up until last night, I've been the only one testing stuff.

Last edited:

Judo777

Smash Master
Toon Link has something similar with his dsmash in brawl. You could hit yourself with a bomb to stop the second hit of dsmash from coming out and the first one had insane set knockback to combo into the other. It could also be performed without the bomb on the edge of YI.

I have found tho that the vectoring system prevents ALOT of grab combos (or at least forces you to cnnect with it sloppily). perhaps vectoring will make it escapable.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Level 9 Jigglypuff is surviving this consistently out of d-throw for me.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I just tested with with Ampharos.

Doing this as a throw combo (on Jigglypuff) doesn't work.

The precise timing of the move out of throw varies with the enemy DI.

More importantly, holding down makes you always survive on a normal stage situation.

So uh, I guess until this is patched, Mii Brawler can OHKO Jigglypuff if he grabs her at 0% on the top platform of Battlefield and then reads her DI out of d-throw? Otherwise, this is like a really crappy version of Rest that can only be used in the air and only on light characters.

Wow, better ban custom moves.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team

I don't see a substantial balance problem here, but I do see a vareity of otherwise decent characters who just suck without customs (Ganon, Ike, Palutena, and ironically your friend Samus are all on the list). The current evidence is that customs are an overwhelming, honestly extremely drastic, improvement to the balance. Even if you find one move that's kinda dumb (but not nearly as dumb as the initial hype suggests, no better than Roy's reverse Blazer in Melee), there's an awful lot that needs to be found to make this system a net negative.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Dang it, the cat is out of the bag :^(

I found out this technique the first few days of Japanese release when I had a chance to play it as I was excited to play Mii as my main. I decided not to tell anyone except my twin brother and a couple close Smash friends and only after they promised not to spread the news of it yet (like Wario's secret bikeflip instant KO tech) because it was just too dangerous of information for such a young metagame.

When I found out it was by testing out the first hit of the F-air as a lead and ended up KO'ing Fox with just the two hits (F-air lead and Piston Punch, which I didn't know what it was called since my Japanese literacy is really rusty). I was like..... uh-oh... my character is going to be banned before anyone gives this fair credence.
Soon enough people were crying for the Mii to be banned because of many reasons "too powerful", "OP", and "broken"... the "not fair" complains about not knowing what their special attacks could be are what I believe to be excuses to ban because of ulterior reasons.

So in my regional I tried out the Mii but made sure to play a large cast of characters and went Jigglypuff in Grand Finals and did not use this tech. Still people were complaining the Mii should be banned even though I played him only a couple times and no Secret technique.

Also, I'm glad I kept quiet on this or else I don't think the sweet name "One Inch Punch" would have come about, love it.
Well, here's hoping people don't jump on the ban wagon too badly, I really like my Mii!

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I just tested with with Ampharos.

Doing this as a throw combo (on Jigglypuff) doesn't work.

The precise timing of the move out of throw varies with the enemy DI.

More importantly, holding down makes you always survive on a normal stage situation.

So uh, I guess until this is patched, Mii Brawler can OHKO Jigglypuff if he grabs her at 0% on the top platform of Battlefield and then reads her DI out of d-throw? Otherwise, this is like a really crappy version of Rest that can only be used in the air and only on light characters.

Wow, better ban custom moves.
No I totally agree, with vectoring this technique will not be something relied on to win. Regardless, his Pistion Punch as itself is already a good kill move. I'm not really sure what you're saying though as it being a crappy version of rest. I see it as the other way around, its just as strong and it doesn't put the Brawler to sleep for 4 seconds.

Also, I'm glad I kept quiet on this or else I don't think the sweet name "One Inch Punch" would have come about, love it.
Well, here's hoping people don't jump on the ban wagon too badly, I really like my Mii!
I don't think its gamebreaking enough to be banned. Mii's will only get banned if Customs get banned, I'm sure of it.

Last edited:

Judo777

Smash Master
I have already said this tons of time this new game. No characters can ever be banned from smash, because no character in smashes history will ever be as strong as Brawl MK. Soooooo I'm not worried about it.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

You're not even posting this ironically are you? :/

Without even testing it? It doesn't seem that broken after about 1 minute of testing.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I have already said this tons of time this new game. No characters can ever be banned from smash, because no character in smashes history will ever be as strong as Brawl MK. Soooooo I'm not worried about it.
Im only worried due to the fact that Mii Brawler uses a custom moveset to make him good. If Customs get banned, it's essentially making the character really bad. He loses two of his best moves.

Judo777

Smash Master
Im only worried due to the fact that Mii Brawler uses a custom moveset to make him good. If Customs get banned, it's essentially making the character really bad. He loses two of his best moves.
I understand that. Several characters become bad without custom moves. But they can still be played. I am just saying that I don't foresee them banning any characters entirely. Because dear lord if the couldn't ban MK then I don't see how they could ban anyone else.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I can confirm that the hit itself is frighteningly powerful at the very least, but much like the discussion about Lucario and his now boosted aura, there is a difference between the move itself and how easy it is to execute. I can't claim to be 'good' at the game, though I have been having trouble executing the move on an immobile opponent in training mode at a slower speed.

There's also the fact that the Miis themselves thrive on the playstyle of the user. My main uses Helicopter kick for the sake of possible combos and aesthetic appeal, so unless that has an advanced technique of its own (which I'll likely not use) I think I'm good.

I do agree, it is a pretty apt name for the find.

Swithe

Smash Rookie
Was linked to this as I've been doing a bit of experimenting with miis lately.

Something worth noting: Your mii's Height Affects their attack hitboxes and as such affects the range needed to pull this off just right.

Therefore short miis may find this easier/harder to perform than tall miis. Just a heads up if youre finding inconsistencies.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm not really sure what you're saying though as it being a crappy version of rest. I see it as the other way around, its just as strong and it doesn't put the Brawler to sleep for 4 seconds.
It's Rest with a much smaller hitbox positioned precisely above Brawler; unlike Rest, this is the only angle it works at.

It only works somewhat high in the air, with much more height required for heavier characters. % doesn't mitigate this like msot kill moves (including Rest), it's a strict requirement.

It only does 3% if you connect but fail to kill, instead of 25-35%.

It's not punishable on hit-but-fail-to-kill, but if they air-dodge through they still get a free charged smash.

It hits on frame 3 or 4, instead of frame 1. Also, Rest is invincible.

Last edited:

Float SSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
Floatwall
3DS FC
0774-4349-7765
I can do the technique on jiggly but I need to short hop to follow her DI to do it.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
It's Rest with a much smaller hitbox positioned precisely above Brawler; unlike Rest, this is the only angle it works at.

It only works somewhat high in the air, with much more height required for heavier characters. % doesn't mitigate this like msot kill moves (including Rest), it's a strict requirement.

It only does 3% if you connect but fail to kill, instead of 25-35%.

It's not punishable on hit-but-fail-to-kill, but if they air-dodge through they still get a free charged smash.

It hits on frame 3 or 4, instead of frame 1. Also, Rest is invincible.
Im not just talking about the one inch punch, I'm talking about the full 8-hit combo piston punch. It still kills incredibly early.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Im not just talking about the one inch punch, I'm talking about the full 8-hit combo piston punch. It still kills incredibly early.
Oh, yeah; it's a good up-b, no doubt. I thought we were specifically talking about this One Weird Trick.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Oh, yeah; it's a good up-b, no doubt. I thought we were specifically talking about this One Weird Trick.
Yeah, the One Inch punch is no more than a gimmick and it has its faults. Meanwhile the pistion punch is such a good kill move. I see it as just an extra bonus that might catch opponents off gaurd.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Was linked to this as I've been doing a bit of experimenting with miis lately.

Something worth noting: Your mii's Height Affects their attack hitboxes and as such affects the range needed to pull this off just right.

Therefore short miis may find this easier/harder to perform than tall miis. Just a heads up if youre finding inconsistencies.
I can confirm that: tall miis have an easier time pulling this off than short miis

T0MMY

Smash Master
I don't think its gamebreaking enough to be banned. Mii's will only get banned if Customs get banned, I'm sure of it.[/quote]
Assuming "Customs" equate to "Customization":
Customs != Mii

(Mii are still available with Customization: Off)

Obviously this technique shouldn't reasonably be penalized in a tournament if Roy's reverse-Blazer and Wobbling were allowed due to competitive philosophy stressing the "Playing to Win" idea of utilizing the potential of the game. But I am not one to assume the reasonability of the people that be.

Oh how I'd like to just have everyone edit their posts and remove all mention of this tech and we kind of just ignore it... until one day we whip it out to take a Stock off in grand finals of a big tournament where needed ;^D

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Oh how I'd like to just have everyone edit their posts and remove all mention of this tech and we kind of just ignore it... until one day we whip it out to take a Stock off in grand finals of a big tournament where needed ;^D
Trust me, I thought of doing this myself and saving it for apex. However, I was unsure if apex would allow Mii fighters so this was my one chance to really show it off at once of the last 3DS tournaments I could get to with big players showing up. Regardless, I'm sure it will be just as exciting the next time.

Last edited:

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I'm skeptical that this is even good if it's generally trivial to survive via downwards vectoring. I can envision the threat of it being good as long as Mii Brawler has good options in response to downwards vectoring, though.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Now, you said the knockback was fixed, but you also said that it could KO Rosaluma from the bottom of YI at 30% after a dthrow, but not 0%. Does this move have utility as a guaranteed kill at higher percents? A way to guarantee a KO even at 60% with vectoring is worth noting.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Now, you said the knockback was fixed, but you also said that it could KO Rosaluma from the bottom of YI at 30% after a dthrow, but not 0%. Does this move have utility as a guaranteed kill at higher percents? A way to guarantee a KO even at 60% with vectoring is worth noting.
It is fixed, the reason why 30% is better than 0% is because d-throw sends them higher, then you double jump and connect the one inch punch. The higher you connect the one inch punch on the screen, the more likely it will kill. It doesn't matter what percent Rosalina is at but to get her in that position from a throw, more percent is needed.

Also Id like to inform everyone that I recorded a demonstration with Zero, and he will be uploading it onto his channel shortly.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Trust me, I thought of doing this myself and saving it for apex. However, I was unsure if apex would allow Mii fighters so this was my one chance to really show it off at once of the last 3DS tournaments I could get to with big players showing up. Regardless, I'm sure it will be just as exciting the next time.
Fair enough. Let me know how it goes.
And if there's some kind of arbitrary ban on the Mii fighters I am going to have a little talk with whoever makes that decision. I've gone all the way to New Jersey and talked to Alex Strife in person before, I'll do it again.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I remember you talking about this in the other thread, yeah, in the Mii Brawler board. DAMN this is good! Situational and not 100% foolproof, but good!

I love that out of all the characters in the game, the Mii Brawler gets the best-named AT of the game, so far :p

After testing it out, I WAS able to do it, but it's hard, even against CPUs air dodging IMMEDIATELY after a throw. And, ironically, most of the time I just killed the target using the normal Piston Punch.

Some good players may be able to master this technique, but I don't think it's a "game-changer". If someone bans Mii Brawler for this, I'll be very very sad :(

And fun thing is, I think I knew about this technique all along. I always thought Piston Punch "looked" so cool when hitting an opponent, and now I know why. KO Lightning (what's it called, anyway) strikes on the first hit of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom