• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The One-and-only-London-Thread thread - Updates on first post

AmcD

Smash Ace
I haven't mentioned any names :S I was going to suggest B.B for the north west but I don't know what he is doing with smash.

COEY

Smash Lord
I haven't mentioned any names :S I was going to suggest B.B for the north west but I don't know what he is doing with smash.
i didnt mean you alan :) your off the hook. also bb hasnt played anyone for too long to be counted as a representative tbh.

Mr P

Smash Ace
Oh come on people this is ******** and pointless. Pointless because Melee in the UK remains to be predictable as **** with the only new addition to the top players being p.pro. ******** because people are already argueing and disagreeing with everyone. Euan's even brought Davemans into it (again) :laugh::laugh::laugh:. And No Euan you thick turd I didn't say that the London ranbats and the NW ranbats were the only way to be ranked in the UK.

Edit- cos it's elitist Will
ROOFFLLLL bullet bill you are such an idiot at times, i was obviously joking.

bla bla bla reputation this reputation that recognition here there bla bla bla why does nobody appreciate and love me

This whole "grading" people "respecting" certain people, sucking a **** of someone here who is high on a certain list, breaking someone to pieces over there to feel better about themselves is the worst aspect of the smash scene in the UK and this is what the ranking system brings out in people. Why cant people just play the game and enjoy the tournaments they go to without concerning themselves with reputation or rank. It's like being in highschool come on people most of us are 18/19 or in our 20's now.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
ROOFFLLLL bullet bill you are such an idiot at times, i was obviously joking.

bla bla bla reputation this reputation that recognition here there bla bla bla why does nobody appreciate and love me

This whole "grading" people "respecting" certain people, sucking a **** of someone here who is high on a certain list, breaking someone to pieces over there to feel better about themselves is the worst aspect of the smash scene in the UK and this is what the ranking system brings out in people. Why cant people just play the game and enjoy the tournaments they go to without concerning themselves with reputation or rank. It's like being in highschool come on people most of us are 18/19 or in our 20's now.
I completely agree

VA

Smash Hero
i agree alan, and if you want someone with a long time knowledge of the community from the NW, i think me or joe should hold some weight. especially seeing how we've been to every melee tourney since AR1.
meaning we've been in the community longer than 2 ppl on that list to start with. i dont see why after over 2 years of being part of this scene we still dont get any recognition. i mean looking through the last few pages we havent been mentioned not even once.
people don't see you as that talented. you've been around ages and haven't ever gotten that high, or been a challenge to top players. that siad I've seen you and joe tearing up ranbats in the NW and think you guys are improving a lot.

but I don't see ranking systems that way at all euan. we are competing, I don't want to join hands and celebrate smash, I want a competition for the top spot. I want to be driven by something to go to tournaments and get recognised. Some people seek recognition and I don't see anything wrong with that, ken never wanted to get the prize money, it was always the title that mattered to him and really it's the same for me. I couldn't care if anyone thinks any less of me for wanting that.

Also creating rankings doesn't oblige you to care, obstain from it all you want it doesn't really change anything. People want something to aspire to and aim for, instead of being able to say I played really well at that tournament and beat X player, you can say: I'm ranked X rank now. For me that's something I really enjoy and drives me to play more, you'll probably argue poor noobs won't enjoy this nasty competition, but seriously if anyone has to grow up and see this for what it is, it's you.

COEY

Smash Lord
Euan- Well that does sort of miss the point of competitiveness. If you want a competitive scene then players have to want to be the best and want to know how they rack up against everyone else.

Also my go at a top ten

charles
va
prof
zeppo
frostbyte
edwin
euan
jam
phil
davemans/j03/amcd

hope you can see i tried to be unbiased, but practially all of those players i have played at least in under a year. with the exception of edwin but from what ive seen he's deserves his place too.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
people don't see you as that talented. you've been around ages and haven't ever gotten that high, or been a challenge to top players. that siad I've seen you and joe tearing up ranbats in the NW and think you guys are improving a lot.

but I don't see ranking systems that way at all euan. we are competing, I don't want to join hands and celebrate smash, I want a competition for the top spot. I want to be driven by something to go to tournaments and get recognised. Some people seek recognition and I don't see anything wrong with that, ken never wanted to get the prize money, it was always the title that mattered to him and really it's the same for me. I couldn't care if anyone thinks any less of me for wanting that.

Also creating rankings doesn't oblige you to care, obstain from it all you want it doesn't really change anything. People want something to aspire to and aim for, instead of being able to say I played really well at that tournament and beat X player, you can say: I'm ranked X rank now. For me that's something I really enjoy and drives me to play more, you'll probably argue poor noobs won't enjoy this nasty competition, but seriously if anyone has to grow up and see this for what it is, it's you.

lol talk down to Will why dont you. You know he's been playing for longer than you so in my opinion he has more of a say in this than you anyway. You think you represent the communtiy but you just don't lol. Go make a thread about yourself now you ****ing EGO

COEY

Smash Lord

i agree with you, me and joe have been around forever without much improvement some might feel. but if youd seen how bad me and joe were at ar1 youd see where doing ok. thanks also for saying how youve noticed our improvements lately and since i made those vids on my cam my luigi has gotten alot better and its nice that people notice.

Mr P

Smash Ace
Dont get me wrong VA competition is the heart of what a tournament is about, but people get so tied up in rank and reputation that it takes the fun out of the whole thing and makes the atmosphere of tournies and on the boards really tense.

I enjoy competing in tournies placing as high as i can and having fun as much as anyone else. By the end results of a tournament we can clearly see where players stand, ok sometimes occasionally people will get a bad bracket and not place exactly where they should but things balance themselves out. The tournament itself is a means of ranking players and i dont think not having a panel ranking system in place detracts from the competition of people tryng to place as high as possible, in most cases people are playing to win. People in this community care so much about their reputation and their rank socially/or in the game that it can pretty much take the fun out of the whole thing and i know this is why a lot of people quit. We dont need a panel to create more competitiveness in this community we need more tournies and less stupid threads and ranking projects.

All this ranking project will do is bring the ego's and insecurities out in a lot of people and it's just going to cause arguements, it's plain common sense where people's general skill levels are and tournament results alone should be motivation enough for people to try and improve. We dont need a group of elite people to decide upon themselves who they think belongs here or there on a list.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Both of us last stock battlefield you were recovering with the forward B with marth and I was on stage and was fox and I jumped out and did a Nair which was obviously gonna reuslt in me dying but it still hit you (:)) and you were like why did you do that for get finished or whatever dumb **** you talk lol. You need to grow up though with your english, seriously its poor. And stop speaking about yourself in 3rd person when we see you, saying stupidness like 'Chrisboi give you nice finish' and even when you talk about yourself its not proper english lol.
Man up and MM lol, your face seriously went from before I asked you:

to when I asked you:

.....MANUP has to be one word for you....MANUP

lol Its any age really, I am 17 anyway how old are you.....

He gets happy over everything lol but when it happens to him it was just a friendly but he plays his HEART out in nearly every game he plays which is why I can gurantee I will **** him in a tourn.
thought I'd dig this up again to cheer me up :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Dont get me wrong VA competition is the heart of what a tournament is about, but people get so tied up in rank and reputation that it takes the fun out of the whole thing and makes the atmosphere of tournies and on the boards really tense.

I enjoy competing in tournies placing as high as i can and having fun as much as anyone else. By the end results of a tournament we can clearly see where players stand, ok sometimes occasionally people will get a bad bracket and not place exactly where they should but things balance themselves out. The tournament itself is a means of ranking players and i dont think not having a panel ranking system in place detracts from the competition of people tryng to place as high as possible, in most cases people are playing to win. People in this community care so much about their reputation and their rank socially/or in the game that it can pretty much take the fun out of the whole thing and i know this is why a lot of people quit. We dont need a panel to create more competitiveness in this community we need more tournies and less stupid threads and ranking projects.

All this ranking project will do is bring the ego's and insecurities out in a lot of people and it's just going to cause arguements, it's plain common sense where people's general skill levels are and tournament results alone should be motivation enough for people to try and improve. We dont need a group of elite people to decide upon themselves who they think belongs here or there on a list.
I completely agree. There have never been any rankings before and seeds were never a problem then.

VA

Smash Hero
Bullet Bill please just **** off. Agreeing with euan and licking his butt so hard might end up causing you physical damage. I really don't have time for your personal vendetta against me, take it elsewhere and stop taking any chance you have to get up in my face.

Euan I see your point but also I think you are discrediting a lot of the community through what you're saying. Not all of us are out of control emotional children. I know certian players like Will have played using Y.Link and Jiggz and stuff, I think it kind of deters the jokish mentality some people have towards tournaments. Also I realllly don't care about my rep in this community, if people think I'm prick, I don't care. No offense meant to anyone but I don't have any real friends in the community, I get on with the majority of you but outside of smash we'll never communicate. I think there are a few who do care about social rep etc. but an evolving set of smashers are caring less and less about this, and hopefully ranking will destory the social element and bring us into some kind of competitive smash scene.

Ranking works across the world, I've been to other communities and seen it as have you and a lot of other people, I see your point but also I tend to believe that the evidence is overwhelmingly balanced in favour of rankings. I think it's something personal you have against it...

Professor Pro

Smash Legend

I actually agree with this fully lool. If people can control themselves the rankings wont get out control.

B.Bill seriously you shouldnt let your personal feelings of another smasher affect your reply of whatever comment they have to say. I know you aren't for ranking for one of the reasons of you feeling that people are gonna be like 'I am better then you look where I am placed' but seriously I think that from what I have seen everyone can control themselvs and I feel if we bring in rankings we can get more attendance cos some people have not gone to events cos they are not gonna win any money so knowing that people can be rewarded something when they know they arent the best can attract more people. Just my input anyway, not looking for any wars lol.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
LOL v.a. I don't even like Euan I just agree with what he's saying.

and hopefully ranking will destory the social element and bring us into some kind of competitive smash scene.

WTF is all I can say to that. I've met some really sound people playing smash and I get on with them well. It's what makes the UK community good. tournaments are always fun where everybody has a laugh even if they don't do as well as they'd hope. 'Destroy the social element' :/ so your saying we shouldn't have fun when playing smash and just be in it for the competition. i'm pretty sure I can say most people would disagree with that. It's like Euan said tournaments are rankings in themselves and how are they not competitive? so you're argueing Will playing different characters means he's not taking it seriously enough? LOL fail.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Ben I don't think rankings would really destroy a social atmosphere - if it does happen to a community over something like rankings then it isn't really a solid community to begin with.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Thats a very good point from Sir Chao and I said something similar to a one Vanity fannybaws earlier this day- If the rankings emphasise reputation-based judgement, then its the community's fault to begin with and not the rankings.

grayfox

Smash Champion
CHRISMAN!!!!

I agree fully with what Euan said throughout - apart from him implying he'd be ranked above me!?!?!? HAHAHAHAHA OK!!!!!!!! FS LETS GET A RANKING SYSTEM HERE AND HAVE MY MEWTWO AT THE TOP PLEASE JUST TO BOOST MY EGO THIS IS WHY WE ARE ALL HERE **** ALL OF YOU AND YOUR SOCIAL SHENANIGANS

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
Ok change of plans, this saturday kritz is hosting a fest. Me and Prof should be going so how about you guys come (chrisboi, edwin, frost)

It's easier than coming to mine and I need to go home to drop something off after

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Yeah I am going, thanks for the bump Noobking lol.

Should be good, I am hoping I get to play Edwin since it been a long time but its understandable of them lot being afraid.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
kritz get on msn ****it, also tommorow should be fun but i gotta help my friends at 3:30 -> 4pm who are coming then im leaving =x just gotta ask kritz permission first though

SwizzyUK

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, only just read this one

I may be too late to join the debate but... I think rankings are a good idea.
As someone who is clearly not in the top set of players in the UK, I would love to know how I compare to everyone else in my skill bracket, but I dont live near any of the RANBAT locations. At tourneys, the same group always do well and the rest of us always lose, but the chance to see through rankings how your game is improving just makes sense as I have trouble judging how much I've improved. I don't see why anyone would be childish enough to get pissed off about their ranking, because if its wrong, all they have to do is win some games and itl be fixed. The whole point is that your ranking can go up and down and it gives you something to aim for other than just trying not to get 4 stocked when you play Fuzz...

Top Bottom