• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
...lucas boards came to a conclusion on the matchup. We discussed it in their boards. look through their pages for it.

It's 50:50.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
...we're discussing lucario. as far as i know, an official matchup number hsant been decided on. lucas was brought up by jog (i have no idea why xD), but it was never decided he would be the next to discuss, neither is he being discussed now.

but lucario has been having discussion for the past few pages.

asob4

Smash Champion
lucario is 60/40 us
lucas is probably 65/35 us

i've only played oats once, and i had match up knowledge johns
awex probably knows the match up best

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
lucario is 60/40 us
lucas is probably 65/35 us

i've only played oats once, and i had match up knowledge johns
awex probably knows the match up best
65:35?
xD

too good.

lucario as 60:40 us makes sense. lucario boards agree with it too from what they've said.

jog

Smash Journeyman
i just brought up lucas because i thought they never decided that match up and i figured we reached an end to lucario since both sides decided on 60-40 and also one of my friends mains lucas so we were both trying to think of a ratio to stick on it and we came up with 60-40 olimar but i think 63-35 is pretty good too. but there's no way its 50-50.

asob4

Smash Champion
there's nothing he can do vs a camping olimar...
nair? pivot grab
PK fire? ours are faster and stop his
fair? more pivot grab

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yeah, I'm down with 60:40 I suppose. Now, stop being lazy and change your thread's title! :p jkjk

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
65:35? Sounds about right.

Money match, Skank at SCSA or Quizno's? $2-3 dollars? Neutrals only, my Lucas vs your Olimar. And Awex/RichBrown/Mr. X must watch and cheer you on, so in the case that I do win, all you b****** can huddle and learn.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are we discussing Lucas next? The Lucas boards covered it pretty well, but I disagreed about how well Lucas can approach and the overall matchup ratio. I thought it was around 60-40 to 65-35 Olimar. :/

jog

Smash Journeyman
i was just throwing lucas out as an idea for the next discussion, i don't really think we're discussing him... but i think we should after lucario is finalized :)

asob4

Smash Champion
65:35? Sounds about right.

Money match, Skank at SCSA or Quizno's? $2-3 dollars? Neutrals only, my Lucas vs your Olimar. And Awex/RichBrown/Mr. X must watch and cheer you on, so in the case that I do win, all you b****** can huddle and learn.
i'm scared of your lucas >.< lmao

if i have money i guesss....
you're too gewd oats pro!

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
are we really 40-60 with shiek?
I'm pretty sure that when both know the matchup well, it's an advantage for Sheik. We discussed it some a while back in our little meetings in an xat chat room. I was the only one really talking though. >_>

The main problem is that all of her aerials can be spaced on Olimar's shield well enough that she can jab directly afterwards to disrupt any shieldgrabs. And since she has an infinite jab, it's impossible to shieldgrab through both the aerial and jabs and get away with anything. After she's done jabbing, she can simply short hop another spaced nair (which will beat out Olimar's upsmash and unless I'm mistaken, will trade hits with uptilt) and do it all over again.

Pivotgrabbing works to an extent, but the Sheik player can simply land on the ground when he sees Olimar run backwards and she can just throw needles at Olimar. To make it even worse, this is a great setup for even more nair->jabs.

She's basically a faster Luigi without the kill power.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
But better edgeguarding potential. Although I don't know too much about the matchup itself, but that should also be considered.
Yeah, that's one of the bigger points as well. It's not too big of a deal if you can time whistles well, but you've got to take into account that she's quick enough in the air to bait whistles and then double jump->fair to punish it. yup.

XienZo

Smash Lord
researching time :D

edit: tried it out and cant figure out how you got it to work XienZo O_o

any trick involved before the pikmin is thrown? Or a video?

When I tried it with the purple by itself, i'd whiff the smash. And when i tried it with other pikmin in my line at the same time, it would use those pikmin. I even tried whistling in a certain way, as well as throwing the pikmin and using chain while it was returning, to make the purple be the next in line to be used.
One pikmin, toss over Lucario, get Olimar to stand so close to the (max aura) aura sphere that its practically touching his nose, spam up smash as it runs into the sphere. Eventually, I'd get the pikmin to up-smash in the weird high, parabolic path and kill Lucario.

Its totally useful if you happen to be playing as the Lucario as well as the Olimar.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Olimar vs. Kirby-Oli has a counter" move

OK, so I was looking at our matchup against Kirby and I noticed something missing. I know this probably shouldn't be a new thread, but the Kirby discussion is buried waaaaaay back in week 7 and I think this should somehow get known. Olimar's grab counters Kirby's fsmash and probably anything else low enough to be grabbed. My best friend mains Kirby and I couldn't ever beat him with Olimar. Then I discovered this. After about 4 fights, on his last life, I had knocked him off the stage. I was at 2 stocks left, and he didn't even try to recover. he just gave up. He spams fsmash, and now had no resources. Overswarm calls this soul-crushing. That's the practical and psychological effect of our grab on Kirby. Soooooooo, I think the matchup is a lot better for us than previously believed. Comments?

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Not even pivot grabbing. It just grabs him out of his smashes. The Kirby boards say they're 60-40 vs. us and I think our matchup thread is something like that, just with difficulty and strategies, not numbers. I think this completely turns those numbers on their heads.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just... grab? Am I missing something?

Btw, the discussion on Lucario in the matchup thread has basically come to an halt/end. There's nothing wrong with posting this sort of thing in there.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
No, if he comes at you with a fsmash, just grab him. It never failed on me. I don't think I'm missing anything, but it's like a perfect counter move. It probably works against his bair too if he's close enough to the ground, since the Kirby boards suggest spamming that against us.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
DanGR told me to post this here, since the discussion is pretty much dead about Lucario.

Olimar's grab goes through Kirby's fsmash and grabs him. It's like a perfect counter move. It also probably goes through his bair, since the Kirby boards suggest spamming that against us.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, if you can see or predict an fsmash and you have time to grab to beat it out, shielding comes out more quickly- 9 frames faster I believe.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Yeah, but Kirby's fsmash is not an extremely fast move, and I think landing a free attack is worth more than shielding, especially one that comboes as well as Olimar's grabs.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Shielding his fsmash->shieldgrabbing. It takes 9 less frames to shield the attack rather than to grab first, and then you can grab all you want. >_>

gantrain05

Smash Master
Not even pivot grabbing. It just grabs him out of his smashes. The Kirby boards say they're 60-40 vs. us and I think our matchup thread is something like that, just with difficulty and strategies, not numbers. I think this completely turns those numbers on their heads.
um...kirby is definately disadvantaged vs olimar, i don't see where they get advantage, but they don't have a single safe approach, and kirby is not that hard to kill.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Well, the hitbox for Kirby's fsmash stays out insanely long, so it's tricky to shieldgrab. He can practically fsmash right after the hitbox disappears. it's almost as broken as Olimar's. I just find it easier to grab than to shieldgrab.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Well, the hitbox for Kirby's fsmash stays out insanely long, so it's tricky to shieldgrab. He can practically fsmash right after the hitbox disappears. it's almost as broken as Olimar's. I just find it easier to grab than to shieldgrab.
i just pivotgrab anything kirby does on the ground, if he's in the air, our Utilt or Uair will beat him out.

gantrain05

Smash Master
They get their advantage from believing that his bair is so broken taht it beats anything we do. Go figure.
lol, bair is too predictable, honestly its only really good vs olimar once he's offstage, and kirby is gonna have one hell of a time getting him there.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Plus, Kirby doesn't strike me as especially ligthning-quick in the air either, so he seems pretty easy to "combo," even if not truly. It still is easy to rack some serious damage on him.

asob4

Smash Champion
the ONLY thing MK can do is nado spam

i have gotten this from top MK players on the WC (DSF, Tyrant) and that is the only way they can beat me and rich
but rich beat tyrant recently, i didn't see D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom