• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
A smart edgeguader always kills their opponent faster :)
At least thats how I get most of my kills with diddy
Personally I love using the reverse banana to peanut gun edgeguard (I know theres a specific name for this but I forget what it is) to confuse them causing them to want to recover low because of the wall created by the three projectiles (I do a SHed peanut and a standing one)
From there I hug them or, depending on the type of recovery, I run-off Fair (Falco and diddy are good characters that the Fair works on)

zyzzx

Smash Cadet
Not including edgeguarding I don't usually have too much problem killing people. F-smash and D-smash kill at pretty nice percentages as long as you're not abusing them. Just think about move decay while you play, they both work well for damage and killing moves, so if you're using forward smash more for damage, save D-smash until they are at kill percents.

If you're still having problems killing them at around 170 or higher, F-tilt will kill and can catch people off guard. A back throw or forward throw can kill near the stage as well but I don't rely on that too well because people tend to DI throws better. Forward air kills as well but I use it a lot so don't rely on it to kill much except off the stage.

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
From what I know, the only way to fix that is... get a new controller. :ohwell:

From my own experience, I have never found something that works. You may be able to fix it by taking your controller apart and see whats causing the "sticky" issue but that is still a little risky if you don't know what your doing.

Ugg

Smash Champion
From what I know, the only way to fix that is... get a new controller. :ohwell:

From my own experience, I have never found something that works. You may be able to fix it by taking your controller apart and see whats causing the "sticky" issue but that is still a little risky if you don't know what your doing.
Ah. Thanks for the advice. I might try to take it apart since it's basically worthless with a sticky A button.

I really appreciate it.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
So I'm really starting to use Diddy a lot more. He used to be my secondary, but now I'm hoping to have a joint main with my Snake. So I'm very familiar with Diddy Kong, since I've been using him since Brawl came out, but now that I'm using him more, I've kinda new in what the pros use. I've got a sense of what to do and I can do pretty good with it. The problem is I don't know the little things to boost my Diddy up to the point my Snake is at.

So, just for now, so I can get an idea, a few small questions. Which throw is the best for a Diddy player to use, for both damage and combo racking abilities. I've always been partial to the down throws, but I'm not sure if this is what everyone else does.

What exactly are the peanut popguns used mostly for? Is it just edgeguarding, catching a recovering opponent off-guard, or do you guys find a use for it other than this?

Lastly, what can help me use my bananas more? I never used bananas until I found out how useful they were, but I still find myself using Diddy's other moves more, mainly his smashes and aerials. It's not until I think about it that I use bananas, and I'm only using one banana most of the time. I can use two, but my mindset isn't there yet.

If anyone can answer these questions, and give me tips on how to use Diddy, I'd appreciate it.

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
Fthrow is your best throw, damage wise and knockback. Bthrow is your second best throw so you'll just want to alternate between these two most of the time. Dthrow is the worst of all Diddys throws so I just recommend to never use it unless you want to catch your opponent off.

For peanut pop gun try to use this for pressuring your opponent and of course, edgeguarding. It is also a good mindgame to cancel your peanut popgun into a glidetoss/grab/smash if you want to bait out their shield or an airdodge.

As for your banana problem, my advice would be to take one out right as the match starts and keep one out the whole match.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
I have quick questions. Does anyone think Diddy may make it to one of the top 3 high points of the tier list? He's like one of those minibosses that are significantly harder than even the final boss. I just feel like he's so broken, so what's stopping him from being that?

gameandwatch 4 Lyfe

Smash Journeyman
I have quick questions. Does anyone think Diddy may make it to one of the top 3 high points of the tier list? He's like one of those minibosses that are significantly harder than even the final boss. I just feel like he's so broken, so what's stopping him from being that?
falco.
ten characters ;)

Adetque

Smash Apprentice
No, he will go down. People will learn to use his naners against him.

Jupz

Smash Master
hmm I think Diddy is in the right spot where he is now. The only possible change I could see would be swapping with marth or down to wario's level.

Esca

Smash Champion
hmm I think Diddy is in the right spot where he is now. The only possible change I could see would be swapping with marth or down to wario's level.
Wario is a far better character. Wario is 2nd best in the game if you play like DMG and PhantomX down here.

Legic

Smash Cadet
K, I'm having less problems with pit but I still think he's a hard match up, also I want some advice on my diddy, since I know I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what..
Here's a video of me vs my friend's pit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUVHoNXatgE&feature=channel_page

there was lag of course but I couldn't find any other vids at the moment, but I'll upload asap new vids to show you some more info. I also hate AAA combo's like pit's or any others.. and I somehow always get stuck in em for a while..
anyways... Any advice for my diddy?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I have a sortve diddy related question
How come I cant watch ninjalinks videos
Theyre all private.
Do I have to do something on yotube or what?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Diddy will be in the top 4 best chars in brawl. Metaknight, snake, falco, diddy. HE IS THAT GOOD. I will prove it, and there's some stuff I haven't said that I can advanced the metagame on with. I will post this metagame stuff more eventually when school isn't such a hastle.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Diddy will be in the top 4 best chars in brawl. Metaknight, snake, falco, diddy. HE IS THAT GOOD. I will prove it, and there's some stuff I haven't said that I can advanced the metagame on with. I will post this metagame stuff more eventually when school isn't such a hastle.
i believe that as well and ill help prove it too =D

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I think any character has the potential to go up or down on the list, not just Diddy.

However, I do think Diddy still has hidden potential that will prove to be fatal or lifesaving in bringing him up or down.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
The videos are just private. It has nothing to do with you but only people who he has allowed can watch.
Yeah but why would he make the playlist with the 17 instructional vids private
There posted in that sticky with the links of all the useful diddy tehcniques/threads but when I open them it says the vids are private
Do I have to ask him to see the playlist
I really wanna see the BCC and the side B cancel vids

8BitRevolver

Smash Journeyman
k i need a few pointers on how to get faster with diddy. i know most of the ATs and can use them in pretty well in game. But my diddy seems significantly slower than the rest of the diddys ive fought. does it help to have bananas out at all time to glide toss everywhere. Thx in advance.

o0Brawl

Smash Rookie
Against reflector characters, you could also do this:
Have a banana in your hands and one back of you, glide backwards but throw forwards, the opponent will usually reflect the first banana. Now you take the 2nd banana and glide toss forwards. This will mostly work. (I just started playing Diddy, but I think I'm pretty good at him).
Setup:
<Banana> <Banana+Diddy> <Reflector user>
| | |
| <------------- |--------
| ---------------------->(goes back)
----------------------------------------->(hits)
Hope this will help =D

zyzzx

Smash Cadet
I use bananas a lot to move around and space, not necessarily just to attack the opponent, I think that might increase your speed somewhat, or make you seem faster anyways.

I also love fox trotting, because its about the same distance as a glide toss and its easier to glide toss out of than a normal running animation. You will probably trip more tho, so that's something you have to be wary of.

Dunno if that helped, not really sure what else to say. Oh and his dash attack is ridiculous.

zyzzx

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, I still haven't gotten around to trying that out, getting that down will probably decrease my fox trotting. The only other reason i really do it is to turn around instantly to psych people out.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Fun fact of the day: Diddy can [probably] get a free aerial hit off of Gannon when he uses your up-b on you, most, if not al, of the cast has a free aerial hit on hit.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
im trying to learn some different wall jump setups. what are some good ones besides get a banana and bair?

zyzzx

Smash Cadet
I wall jumped once off of battlefield because I had b-aired someone away like three times and I wanted a fresh move, so I wall jumped from the ledge and f-aired. It hit but didn't kill them >.<

That's pretty much completely useless tho, way too risky. I just thought it was kinda cool.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
im trying to learn some different wall jump setups. what are some good ones besides get a banana and bair?
on YI i sometimes cling to the sides when theyre off stage, and wall jump dair
it catches them off guard, and you can also diddy hump out of it too for a spike

just jump out and spike them is what i do, theres a lot of freedom in what you can do though

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Completely horizontally/vertically or do we do diagonal towards stage too?? People tell me that diagonal is better and others have said its worse.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Yeah thats what I do too but I wanted to make sure its actually more effective than just horizontal/vertical

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
Diagonal is WORSE for the effect that it pushes you towards where ever you were hit.
For example, you get hit by snakes ftilt, a move that has horizontal knockback. If you were DI'ing diagonally it would give you some extra horizontal momentum, as well as vertical momentum.

For moves that send you straight to the corner, like luigi's fsmash, DI is almost useless:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom