• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
lol super homo gimp xD he can do like 2-3 of them in a row and make it back to stage. just dont try to gimp kirby O-o unless u sure as hell ur gonna kill him otherwise ur dead lolz i learned that the hard way recently xD BUT NO MAS!

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Oh I see so he uses it for edgeguarding. Ive seen him autocancel it to Fsmash too so I was wondering i f he has any other effective ground combos with the dair (he starts the dair close to the ground)

EDIT: congrats on 500th post ^_^

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Besides neutral stages, are there any other good stages I should counter pick when playing Diddy?

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
Besides neutral stages, are there any other good stages I should counter pick when playing Diddy?
I like luigi's mansion depending on the character I'm playing against. I also enjoy fighting on brinstar, but thats just preference. Neutrals are really your best bet, but you should try to find some other stages you personally prefer.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
I like luigi's mansion depending on the character I'm playing against. I also enjoy fighting on brinstar, but thats just preference. Neutrals are really your best bet, but you should try to find some other stages you personally prefer.
All right, thanks for the help. The stages I mainly play on are Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Final Destination, and Smashville, and I was just trying to find some other stages to play on that would benefit Diddy. The feedback was appreciated.

Edit: If I were to play on Luigi's Mansion, as you said you do on certain characters, what characters would you suggest me to counterpick this stage against?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I played a MK on luigis mansion and 2stocked him
I like that stage a lot cause of the Pseudo-Hyrule- Temple effect when your inside the mansion and you kill of the side so it doesnt really hinder you as much as other characters.
I also like Castle Siege and all of the neutrals except Lylat and to a lesser extent BF.
@Suspect Thanks I didnt know about that. Gotta expect that when I face a good kirby :)

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Hes my secondary actually cause I have a really hard time against Olimar and I find the matchup easier with Kirby
Quick Kirby question- How do you do the dair (as soon as you SH or at the top of a FH?? etc)I find it hard to incorporate it into my game cause of the huge startup lag.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
REALLY?! i hate olimar and can never beat him with kirby >_>

Um, i just short and immediately press down on the c-stick and joy stick. I only do it when i expect them to roll or catch them off guard.

The way i play i dont use dair very often

DFEAR

Smash Hero
oh and 100% expect a gonzo combo from beginning of any stock xD DO NOT airdodge to get away seriously just jump away >_< kirby is 60 40 for a reason lol

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
^Just SDI and Kirby can't combo anymore.

Edit: If I were to play on Luigi's Mansion, as you said you do on certain characters, what characters would you suggest me to counterpick this stage against?
I mainly take characters with a good projectile based game on this stage or characters that don't receive any great "advantages" from playing here. (For example: Lucario lives at higher percents on a stage like Luigi's Mansion making Lucario more powerful. So don't bring him here.)

So a few I would take here are:
Falco (Probably my favorite character to take on this stage)
Pit
Mario
Fox
Wolf
Pikachu

These are all I can think of at the top of my head XD.
Hope this helps somewhat.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
@dk

peanut+dair+ spacing+ mindgames + overall intellect + lolz = diddy advantage otherwise dnt get hit :p

but in all seriousness dk does not have projectiles has very predictible approaches such as down b or of course bairs lol. peanut or try to disrupt all his punch swings as well its free dmg. banana lock as often as u could. do not let dk get ur banana as he has a pretty decent glidetoss range xD dnt want a dsmash in ur face O_< anyway match should be urs just play it smart and space well from his smashes. take advantage of his lag.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
REALLY?! i hate olimar and can never beat him with kirby >_>
Well the olimar boards have kirby listed as 65:35 (or something close to it)
So I dont know, maybe you play a better olimar than the one I play but I usually beat him :)
Back to Diddy, against DK, its seriously really easy to combo him. Use your bananas a lot against him (just be careful when I gets them as DFEAR said) He shouldnt be able to approach since he doesnt have a projectile of his own. Also, dont be predictable with your recovery. Though you should be doing this against every character, its really important against DK be cause of his awesome edgeguarding. He spike three different ways: Dair, SideB, and Fair. But they all have really long startup lag so you should be able to avoid getting gimped IF your not predictable. His Bair is what you should really watch out for. Your barrels get destroyed by this move so only use them if you have too. And we cant forget the infamous Cargo Stage Spike either :) All of these options make getting back on the stage very difficult but if your careful, I believe this matchup is slightly in Diddys favor cause of how big DK is and his inability to approach Diddy. Just dont get hit offstage and you should be fine.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I'm too retarted to kill anything below 180% with diddy

So someone help me not suck at killing things so my diddy wont be a failure

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
I'm too retarted to kill anything below 180% with diddy

So someone help me not suck at killing things so my diddy wont be a failure

Keep smashes fresh and grab a lot more.
I honestly don't ever use smashes unless its for the kill. You can rack up enough damage with every other move without the need of ever using dsmash or fsmash. I think it's something we all need to learn as Diddy mains and make it a habit to only use smashes for kills or very sparingly during our matches. Another thing that might help you out is to use moves you sometimes never use. For example: I almost never use my up air and I forgot how great of an attack it can be in certain situations. Once I remembered about this, up uair was actually scoring me a few kills in some matches because of how I've been keeping it fresh.

My best advice is to just start playing without smashes at all until they reach killing percents.

Ziggles

Smash Rookie
Is there a particular controller set-up for the GCN controller that works best with Diddy? As of right now I just use the standard set-up with tap jump off. Just wondering if there is anything better :lick:

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
Obviously DK is VERY easy to combo. Getting the kill off and spacing against him is ugh >.<
@Ziggles: use whatever that is comfortable for you

napZzz

Smash Hero

Keep smashes fresh and grab a lot more.
I honestly don't ever use smashes unless its for the kill. You can rack up enough damage with every other move without the need of ever using dsmash or fsmash. I think it's something we all need to learn as Diddy mains and make it a habit to only use smashes for kills or very sparingly during our matches. Another thing that might help you out is to use moves you sometimes never use. For example: I almost never use my up air and I forgot how great of an attack it can be in certain situations. Once I remembered about this, up uair was actually scoring me a few kills in some matches because of how I've been keeping it fresh.

My best advice is to just start playing without smashes at all until they reach killing percents.
wuts a standard kill percent for ohhh dsmash.

Because most of the people I play know how to SDI out of fsmash and DI the dsmash well, yay for not killing things!

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
For heavies...i thinking of (WITH DI) 150+
Mediums: (WITH DI) 140+
Lights: 130+

btw...what initial stance should you take when fighting Olimar?

ADHD

Smash Hero
For heavies...i thinking of (WITH DI) 150+
Mediums: (WITH DI) 140+
Lights: 130+

btw...what initial stance should you take when fighting Olimar?
Never approach until he trips, and avoid getting grabbed at all costs. Pretend it's falco and you're below 10 percent, you don't want to get grabbed at all. Be very patient, take it slow because it's hard to get him to trip but once he's vunerable diddy can do alot. Grab him tons but don't fish for opportunities, make sure the grab will work. That's what I've gathered. Olimar is actually very easy to kill because all of your KO moves send him horizontally offstage :p GIMP HIM.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i usually use dsmash if one of his pikmin latch on to me
does anyone know if theres a better method for detaching/preventing pikmin spam?
upsmash/dash attck :3

question:
against falco. how can i di out of the dash attack cancel upsmash so i dont get hit by the upsmash?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I really dont know if theres a way to DI out at any percent. I think you need to be at a high enough percent where you can SDI up so that the dash attack hits you too far. I believe its somewhere around 30%-40% percent (maybe higher Im not sure) Anyways its what I do and I dont get hit by the combo at percents higher than 45-50%. But if theres a more effective way, Id love to know.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Is it possible that either of the two angled ftilts have a good KO ability because of the direction it will send them?

Player-1

Smash Legend
Is it possible that either of the two angled ftilts have a good KO ability because of the direction it will send them?
An Up angled Ftilt would probably work the best, kinda like how Luigi's up angled Ftilt is the best because all the knockback is going into the corner of the blast zone which is where you;d normally DI to, but since you're already getting hit there you kinda can't

napZzz

Smash Hero
this is a good question, seeing how stronger some characters fsmash's are when angled up, luigi being a good example. This seems kinda like a last resort thing if you cant hit them with a smash or something.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
An Up angled Ftilt would probably work the best, kinda like how Luigi's up angled Ftilt is the best because all the knockback is going into the corner of the blast zone which is where you;d normally DI to, but since you're already getting hit there you kinda can't
Downward-angled F-tilts work pretty beautifully in robbing opponents of their second jump during their recovery back onto the stage. It can reliably gimp this way for that reason, and because it sends opponents flying away from the stage at a low-angled trajectory with relatively high knock-back. The effects are further enhanced on a stage like Yoshi's Island, where both edges of the stage already grant you a steep angle to stand on. Recovering against a downward-angled F-tilt on this stage from underneath stage level can be made into quite a headache here.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
works well on lylat cruise if the stage tilts the right way, as well as on pictochat

you can do the upwards angled one if they catch on and try to recover high and away, (falco, fox, gnw, marth, rob, wario) but its pretty situational

the up angled one isnt as effective for killing as say dsmash is, but itll have to be tested more

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Aiming the FTilt up adds an extra 2 percent so I wouldn't be surprised if it came with more knock-back, the only question is how much damage it saves you from dealing to get the kill I guess.

And also, lately in my games, whenever I Z-Catch a nanner off of a platform I air dodge sometimes instead of just picking up the nanner. Is there a reason for this or is my timing just off?

Count

Smash Champion
I thought that angling it reduced the percent? Dunno about the knockback but I thought angled ftilts were 2 percent less than reg ones.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I thought that angling it reduced the percent? Dunno about the knockback but I thought angled ftilts were 2 percent less than reg ones.
This actually has to deal with proximity more than anything else. All F-tilt variations deal 11% when they are sweetspotted; point-blank hits deal only 9% fresh and also have less knock-back.

MCmaniacDBR

Smash Apprentice
So i checked the general thread about diddy's basic moveset but found nothing on it so I figured I'd come here and ask.

I seem to be having a problem when I use Diddy's monkey flip for recovery, not sure why, maybe I'm hitting a button afterwards or something and it's preventing me from using it correctly but this is basically what happens.

I get smashed off the side and DI back, I use either monkey flip or second jump then do the other that I hadn't done yet. But for some reason after I do a monkey flip and a second jump sometimes it will not let me barrel boost and I lose because I just fall down and can't put any inputs in. Has anyone else had this problem?

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
I get smashed off the side and DI back, I use either monkey flip or second jump then do the other that I hadn't done yet. But for some reason after I do a monkey flip and a second jump sometimes it will not let me barrel boost and I lose because I just fall down and can't put any inputs in. Has anyone else had this problem?
The only reason you wouldn't be able to barrel boost is if you do the Kung Fu kick after the monkey flip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom