• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corrupted Mind

Smash Cadet
Im new to the site so forgive me if this seems like a stupid question. When if ever is it more beneficial to grab a tripped opponent rather than comboing them from a dash attack?

And should you grab certain tripped characters more than others?

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
^

At a higher percent. Usually what I do towards tripped opponents are

Dash attack - Low %
Grab - Mid %
Dsmash - High %

I'm not sure about individual characters, or if I'm even right, since I'm new with Diddy. But it would seem since Dash attack stops true comboing into most stuff after like 50%, I'd just go wtih a grab.

tibs7

Smash Champion
my brothers snake is sooo annoying i can never really approach and he abuses his ftilt so much, i dont know how to get around it properly.
If i roll he just does it to the side i rolled too.
Even if i have a naner he will catch it with his **** dash attack
bottom line, snake is sooo cheap i hate him

And then theres Olimar.
continual grabs and no lag really ticks me off
its pretty much the same deal as snake, i dodge a throw then get punished, he will normally spam dsmash.
and his pikmin somehow always manage to block nanerz ALWAYS
i need help to beat them

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
my brothers snake is sooo annoying i can never really approach and he abuses his ftilt so much, i dont know how to get around it properly.
If i roll he just does it to the side i rolled too.
Even if i have a naner he will catch it with his **** dash attack
bottom line, snake is sooo cheap i hate him

And then theres Olimar.
continual grabs and no lag really ticks me off
its pretty much the same deal as snake, i dodge a throw then get punished, he will normally spam dsmash.
and his pikmin somehow always manage to block nanerz ALWAYS
i need help to beat them
im pretty sure you even complained about how awesome lucas is last time i won with him... get some better skills and then you might win, instead of *****ing to the smash community.

oh, and i dont spam. if you spam anything against diddy, you eat a nana in the face and get comboed to oblivion (or at least this should be the case). oh, and you never appraoch anyway, so i dont understand the complaint.

tibs7

Smash Champion
im pretty sure you even complained about how awesome lucas is last time i won with him... get some better skills and then you might win, instead of *****ing to the smash community.

oh, and i dont spam. if you spam anything against diddy, you eat a nana in the face and get comboed to oblivion (or at least this should be the case). oh, and you never appraoch anyway, so i dont understand the complaint.
since I'm the nice brother I won't bag you, like you did to me, and I'm not the only one that says you spam. I have skills good enough to beat you in tourneys is that enough? All I'm asking is, is there a good safe approach for these 2 chars

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I have virtually no Olimar experience, and I use Fox against Snakes, so I can't really help there. I can try on paper, though.

1. Sliding sheild and block ftilt
2. Grab/whatever attack you'd normally do.
3. Don't do obvious naner throws; sometimes glidetoss arbitrarily to throw him off or make him sheild, then grab/whatever else you'd normally do.
4. ????
5. Profit.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Lol I know what its like to have a brother too ;)
Anyways against Snakes, heres some advice;

1. Like AvaricePanda said, running sheild is a very good approach against snakes that spam FTilt
2. Use Dribbling to fake your opponent out (especially effective if you bait your opponent into using the FTilt)
3.Use your bananas to blow up Snakes nades/claytons prematurely and create more room on the stage. Snakes want you to feel boxed in.
4. Finally, when you get the chance, dont screw up your combos
Hope I helped ^_^

Attila_

BRoomer
since I'm the nice brother I won't bag you, like you did to me, and I'm not the only one that says you spam. I have skills good enough to beat you in tourneys is that enough?
All I'm asking is, is there a good safe approach for these 2 chars
if i spam, i should be punished, in much the same way i punish your predictability.

you already know approaches that work, you just wanted to vent somewhere. bananas > everything.

@bellios and AP: as you guys say, running shield is very effective against snake. dash attack is better against oli though cause most of the time is will go through a pikmin grab (unless oli times it perfectly) and hit oli into the air

tibs7

Smash Champion
if i spam, i should be punished, in much the same way i punish your predictability.

you already know approaches that work, you just wanted to vent somewhere. bananas > everything.
attila if you dont have anything beneficial to say just shut up seriously

as for your dash attack into oli, thats the stupidest thing i've heard. as if anyone approaches oli from the front.

Player-1

Smash Legend
attila if you dont have anything beneficial to say just shut up seriously

as for your dash attack into oli, thats the stupidest thing i've heard. as if anyone approaches oli from the front.
Uhhh...aren't you guys brothers or something? Can you stop posting stupid things, both of you, and just go to the room next door and say STFU

Attila_

BRoomer
yuk no one likes an argument in person...

someone please tell him that diddy v snake is 50:50 so that this can end. he wont listen to me or the matchup threads. please?

*leaves diddy boards*

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
This does NOT seem to work for me, but I know it's supposed to:

Turn > Full Jump > DI Sideways > Banana Pull > Double Jump > DI Sideways > Banana Pull > Z-Catch

I've been trying to practice this for a long time now (Ninjalink uses it as an opening in a lot of his recorded matches) as a means to safely get a banana in hand while jumping over the opponent's projectile spam. Either the first banana that I'm trying to Z-Catch falls too quickly and I can't keep up, or I can't DI sideways while trying to pull the banana. Am I missing a step/doing something wrong?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I dont know about that method but I think I know an easier way of pulling two bananas and catching one.

Turn> Full Jump> Hard\Soft pull a banana> Immediately afterwards SOFT pull a second banana> Double jump back and z-catch the second banana> Land on stage

Ive seen this in matchs and it seems really effective to me cause the first banana gives your opponent something to worry about while you pull the second banana making it very hard for you to get gimped this way. And also, when you z-catch the other banana, your very close to the ground so you dont waste time trying to reach the ground. If you do it offstage, most projectile spam will miss you (I think Pits arrows can hit you if they have good control) cause youll be slightly under the edge after the second banana pull. The time frame is big enough to double jump that you can stall it for a split second to let something like Falcos laser pass and then double jump back and still be able to catch the banana safely.

But of course, if you get predictable you will be punished so just mix it up with your method or any other banana pulling method you know. Hope this helped.^_^

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Turn> Full Jump> Hard\Soft pull a banana> Immediately afterwards SOFT pull a second banana> Double jump back and z-catch the second banana> Land on stage
How do you hard/soft pull a banana?

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
I'm going to use Diddy for the first time in a tournament today, so if you have some super awesome piece of advice could you please share it with me? :)

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Is this known. after you hit someone with upair you can pick up a banana. Like you can hit someone on a platform with an up air, and if you FF you can catch the banana that is on the ground (not the platform)

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yea lol multitasking ftw :p i use z or a to catch things directly below me

Excellence

Smash Champion
I'm not a Diddy Kong main, second, or whatever nor do I have any offline experience with good Diddy Kong players so don't get mad when I ask: How do you deal with Diddy Kong's Bananas? What are all the ways you can pick them up, guard against them, and save yourself from the Banana Lock? If the anyone is curious, I main Olimar.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Excellence: Learn to shield thrown bananas, and then short hop, Z-grab them in the air. When people get my bananas and throw them, I do this to get them back. It's quite simple, but very effective.

Considering your main, you should just spam pikmin, the pikmin halt bananas.

Excellence

Smash Champion
@Excellence: Learn to shield thrown bananas, and then short hop, Z-grab them in the air. When people get my bananas and throw them, I do this to get them back. It's quite simple, but very effective.

Considering your main, you should just spam pikmin, the pikmin halt bananas.
When I shield bananas, they hit the shield then I slip regardless of the fact that I shielded. The same happens when I powershield them. Z-Grabbing bananas in the air is the same as air dodging, right?

Player-1

Smash Legend
When I shield bananas, they hit the shield then I slip regardless of the fact that I shielded. The same happens when I powershield them. Z-Grabbing bananas in the air is the same as air dodging, right?
Then you have a ****ed up game if that's happening. Z gabbing is using Z to grab bananas, it's not an airdodge and there should be no animation for the grabbing of it so it's completely lagless

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Also, I find it effective to short hop airdodge catch the bananas in reaction to my opponent throwing them at me. Of course I dont do it often so as not to be predictable but every once in a while, its a good safe trick to catch your bananas right when theyre thrown if you have good enough reactions.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
Quick question. Out of the characters who can inhale bananas(ex. Kirby) is it possible to follow up with anything? Or does the inhale have no lag after they eat a banana?
its really easy to follow up if they suck up your naner. theres a good amount of lag when they swallow it, and a bit afterwards.

i also find it helpful to shoot a peanut if theyre sucking, and follow up with a naner so they eat the peanut and you can punish. also works if you have 2 naners near you

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
Quick question. Out of the characters who can inhale bananas(ex. Kirby) is it possible to follow up with anything? Or does the inhale have no lag after they eat a banana?
i ALWAYS follow up with this, sometimes when a banana is dying out, i throw it at them purposely JUST because it leaves them so open. After that, combo away, at least thats what i do.

Also, I find it effective to short hop airdodge catch the bananas in reaction to my opponent throwing them at me. Of course I dont do it often so as not to be predictable but every once in a while, its a good safe trick to catch your bananas right when theyre thrown if you have good enough reactions.
Same, But i also sheild the banana they throw then shorthop and z-catch it :laugh:

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
It basically has a similar effect as throwing the banana at them. I don't skimp on banana throws; if they don't inhale, I have setups, if they inhale, I have setups because of the ending lag.

Getting your bananas back when someone throws them is pretty simple. Since most people's only option is to throw when they have a banana, and most people who aren't Diddy mains just throw the banana towards you, it's easy to predict when they'll throw it and you can just SHAD or dash attack catch or sheild and catch or whatever. Some people who use characters like MK or Pit (people with large glide-toss ranges) can just be sheildgrabbed when they approach you. Diddy's the master at control bananas.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
isnt it just easier pressing A as soon as they throw it at u o-o? i do that and sh z catch and sometimes accidently airdodge.

@the kirby sucking

i have a friend named DC who mains kirby and all i got to say is. just dnt get grabbed/fsmashed/ dair'd otherwise play smart :p

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
what does auto pilot mean in terms of diddy cause i always hear ADHD talking about it
Its referring to mindlessly glidetossing and just playing without thinking. So when your in "auto pilot" you aren't playing smart at all or controlling your actions but instead your just throwing moves out hoping they hit the opponent.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
what does auto pilot mean in terms of diddy cause i always hear ADHD talking about it
Really it's a term for all characters. It's when you're playing when you aren't thinking much and you aren't focused on the match. It's bad because you become really predictable and fall back into old, often bad habits. It's also bad because you can't read your opponent and you don't really know what they've been doing the entire match, so you can't predict anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom