• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugg

Smash Champion
How much should I be relying on bananas? Is there a point in the match where I should just not use bananas even though I don't have to?

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I need dedede help. I can't seem to kill this big dumb penguin. I can usually **** early on in the match and get a good 40-70% easily from the get go. However it's killing him that is the problem. I have a pro dedede friend who i play with daily and i may win maybe 2-3 times out of like say 20. Every single stock he lasts at the earliest around 170 while im dying around 90-110. I just got finished playing him where i got a early spike and i was only at 50 just for him to last til 238 the very next stock and he still won the match. Like is aid killing is the problem for me and avoiding that **** utilt of his is also a annoying problem. Obviously i can't play on fd all the time and i usually never pick it anyway cause i know in tournaments people are going to ban it. I always get stuck on the platforms on BF just so dedede can utilt me. I can space myself pretty well so his cg is not a big issue for me. But any tips on winning his matchup? According to the matchup thread it's 60-40 diddy so i must be doing something wrong.
LOL. The disorganization of the current incarnation of the match-up thread is my fault, but I'm not touching the thread again until at least the end of the spring season. There are going to be a lot of shifts in the margin of favor in many of Brawl's overall match-ups, and I want a chance to observe some major tournament results (since there are going to be a ton of them in the next several months) before I peddle and perpetuate misleading information any more than I already have. Estimated match-up ratios are probably the silliest thing known to fighting games, but that is what people use as a reference point the most. I will be happy to humor people with these arbitrary numbers as I study this game some more in the coming seasons.

As for D3, I'm inclined to believe that the match-up is much, much closer to even than I originally projected; there was a period I though that the D3 match-up was one of Diddy's aforementioned "****" match-ups. This is clearly not the case. I still don't think killing D3 is a terribly big deal with the way I hoard my KO attacks, but the direction the advantage oscillates in during this match-up depends on two things: how well the Diddy Kong player controls the stage, and how effectively the D3 player neutralizes banana play. From what I've observed, these are the two primary components that determine which margin the (very slight) favor falls in, although I would fathom that D3 will have a less difficult time with staying in your face than you will with stage control.

I'll let you know how this plays out after a few possible, upcoming MMs this weekend with some EC kids.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
How much should I be relying on bananas? Is there a point in the match where I should just not use bananas even though I don't have to?
A tournament level diddy relies on his bananas. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. Whenever u have a chance of using your nannerz use them. However don't try to force them out when your opponent won't let u. Don't think your helpless when u don't have bananas out on the field. That was my problem for a while. I actually went a whole week without using any bananas and it helped me alot on learning how to play diddy without bananas. Only time u should not be using bananas is when your opponent isn't letting u.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
LOL. The disorganization of the current incarnation of the match-up thread is my fault, but I'm not touching the thread again until at least the end of the spring season. There are going to be a lot of shifts in the margin of favor in many of Brawl's overall match-ups, and I want a chance to observe some major tournament results (since there are going to be a ton of them in the next several months) before I peddle and perpetuate misleading information any more than I already have. Estimated match-up ratios are probably the silliest thing known to fighting games, but that is what people use as a reference point the most. I will be happy to humor people with these arbitrary numbers as I study this game some more in the coming seasons.

As for D3, I'm inclined to believe that the match-up is much, much closer to even than I originally projected; there was a period I though that the D3 match-up was one of Diddy's aforementioned "****" match-ups. This is clearly not the case. I still don't think killing D3 is a terribly big deal with the way I hoard my KO attacks, but the direction the advantage oscillates in during this match-up depends on two things: how well the Diddy Kong player controls the stage, and how effectively the D3 player neutralizes banana play. From what I've observed, these are the two primary components that determine which margin the (very slight) favor falls in, although I would fathom that D3 will have a less difficult time with staying in your face than you will with stage control.

I'll let you know how this plays out after a few possible, upcoming MMs this weekend with some EC kids.
Ok thanks alot. I'll try to get some vids up tomorrow so people can see what im doing wrong.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
Heya diddys i'm looking to use your little monkey as a secondary or half main but need help picking him up i got the basics just need tips/advice on anything you guys think will help me ( tricks w/e )

but yea i heard from a fellow toon that diddy was a good choice

Tachyon

Smash Cadet
Cedar Hill, Texas and Hawkins, Texas (college)
A lot of things you used with toon link can actually carry to Diddy surprisingly. Especially all the bomb drop tricks and mindgames. Just replace the bomb with Bananas and you're good to go.

Glide Tossing will be the main skill you need to learn with diddy. Learn the movements, the throws, the mind games, the spacing, the dribbles with 1 bananas, the dribbles with 2 bananas. Learn it all. If you can learn glide toss your Diddy game will like x20 or something.

Barrel Cancelling is very useful if your opponent keeps grabbing your bananas and using them against you. Getting hit with a banana while in UPB charge doesn't cause slip and knocks off a barrel to go flying randomly. Barrels flying randomly can kill at EARLY percents.

If you already know both of those things then your diddy should at least be pretty decent. You probably want to practice gimping since bananas and peanut popgun are really useful for that. learn to SideB for recovery and remember to not press a and do the kick or else you can't UPB afterwards.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
A lot of things you used with toon link can actually carry to Diddy surprisingly. Especially all the bomb drop tricks and mindgames. Just replace the bomb with Bananas and you're good to go.

Glide Tossing will be the main skill you need to learn with diddy. Learn the movements, the throws, the mind games, the spacing, the dribbles with 1 bananas, the dribbles with 2 bananas. Learn it all. If you can learn glide toss your Diddy game will like x20 or something.

Barrel Cancelling is very useful if your opponent keeps grabbing your bananas and using them against you. Getting hit with a banana while in UPB charge doesn't cause slip and knocks off a barrel to go flying randomly. Barrels flying randomly can kill at EARLY percents.

If you already know both of those things then your diddy should at least be pretty decent. You probably want to practice gimping since bananas and peanut popgun are really useful for that. learn to SideB for recovery and remember to not press a and do the kick or else you can't UPB afterwards.
awesome thx dude will do ',; ) and if you guys ever need anything ask the toon boards we a nice bunch ^^

btw i got barrel canceling down nps but need to know a bit about glide tossing if poss

DFEAR

Smash Hero
question: when applying a dash attack combo how do u counter against someone who WILL shield grab you? i find dash attacking spotdodge to work...sometimes buts what another way of countering the grab?

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
the first thing that comes to mind is if you see them shielding early anticipating to grab you, then just space a little closer to them and dash attack thru them. That leaves their options to d smashing, bairing, or a retreating attempt against you. If they try to turn and grab then it will be easy for you to counter them.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
the first thing that comes to mind is if you see them shielding early anticipating to grab you, then just space a little closer to them and dash attack thru them. That leaves their options to d smashing, bairing, or a retreating attempt against you. If they try to turn and grab then it will be easy for you to counter them.
thats what i figured i wanted to clarify to make sure :3 ty much appreciated

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
QUESTION:

I can't dribble. I can glide toss perfectly, but I can't dribble. I glidetoss too far. Is there an easier way to dribble with the c-stick or something? I use A when glide tossing if that makes a difference.

Basically, how do I keep myself from gliding too far?

Player-1

Smash Legend
QUESTION:

I can't dribble. I can glide toss perfectly, but I can't dribble. I glidetoss too far. Is there an easier way to dribble with the c-stick or something? I use A when glide tossing if that makes a difference.

Basically, how do I keep myself from gliding too far?
When you're doing single dribbling you have to press A while you're sliding and you'll pick it up.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
When you're doing single dribbling you have to press A while you're sliding and you'll pick it up.
you!

why werent you at impact clash III a few weeks ago? i was very sad to not see you there :(

Twin_A

Smash Champion
thats what i figured i wanted to clarify to make sure :3 ty much appreciated
no problem bro ^_^

Question:
This recently happened to me and I want to see what you guys would do in this situation:
What tricks would you use in a teams match were its just you vs the othr two opponents (generally speaking, no specific character). Would you use bananas more or less? Try to be the one spamming? Go for a good off the stage ->B spike?

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Thats what I did haha. only problem was getting time to pull that out. Can do it off the stage for obvious reasons. I had to do it the moment i knocked one away. In those situations no matter who you are its not easy to win haha. but knowing good strategies is always good

Nitrix

Smash Ace
What tricks would you use in a teams match were its just you vs the othr two opponents (generally speaking, no specific character). Would you use bananas more or less? Try to be the one spamming? Go for a good off the stage ->B spike?

In almost every case you should use bananas. Winning 2v1s is about being able to manage 2 people at once. Bananas let you do this.

Also, go for the gimps.

Legic

Smash Cadet
Question: My friend says I use my nannerz too much, I always have em out. I almost always approach with em. Should I work less with nannerz or is he just annoyed because of the slips?:) Or maybe both?

Legic

Smash Cadet
k, so it doesn't matter when I always have em out? :) k, then he's just really annoyed because of the nannerz, because he always gets hit by em and trips:psycho:

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Question:
I play diddy as a main and second G&W to counter characters who like to use projectiles like Falco and Pit. But Im wondering if there are better secondaries out there. Ive been leaning towards Snake lately but I think that G&W has a better match-up. Anyways, any info would be appreciated. Thanks ^_^

Browny

Smash Hater
Can diddy players give me some help here
(from tactical boards)
DJBrowny said:
Is this new?

I noticed the other day that if characters cancel thier dash animation at a certain point while passing over an item, they can pick it up and get what seems to be IASA frames

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJCsVkfXnQE

The first clips show a standard dash cancel into an item pick up, the 3rd then shows how you can act considerably faster if you cancel your dash at the right point. After that theres a few demo clips at full speed. then i show ROB who can cancel his dash and throw an item very quickly, as can marth. However of all the characters ive tested who cant do this, Diddy is the only one I can not find a single point in his stopping animation where he gets these IASA frames
This sounds similar to the 'instand ground throw technique that chromepirate discusses in the diddy AT thread, but I think he is referring to running over a banana and throwing it while jumping, however i can not test at the moment. Is this the same thing? I just wanna know if it has been known before i start claiming this as something new lol.

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
Question:
I play diddy as a main and second G&W to counter characters who like to use projectiles like Falco and Pit. But Im wondering if there are better secondaries out there. Ive been leaning towards Snake lately but I think that G&W has a better match-up. Anyways, any info would be appreciated. Thanks ^_^
I second G&W as well just for the Falco matchup. But in reality, I've been finding out lately that falco's aren't giving me nearly as much trouble as they used to be. So I would recommend maining snake since he covers all of diddys bad matchups (Marth, Luigi, Olimar etc.) and technically has no bad matchups of his own.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Someone on in the Diddy Kong Back Room brought this up, but we just let it drop because we didn't see any use to it.

Browny

Smash Hater
But can diddy actually do it?

in all my testing i didnt manage to get diddy to do it once. remember theres a distinct difference between a normaly dash-stop item pick up and the IASA version my video shows (im assuming its IASA). I just dont know if im doing it wrong with diddy, since i cant figure out why some characters can do it while others cant

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I second G&W as well just for the Falco matchup. But in reality, I've been finding out lately that falco's aren't giving me nearly as much trouble as they used to be. So I would recommend maining snake since he covers all of diddys bad matchups (Marth, Luigi, Olimar etc.) and technically has no bad matchups of his own.
yeah thanks for the advice
But instead of maining snake, Ill probably keep Diddy and just second Snake
I enjoy using diddy more
And Ill probably keep G&W for Falco cause I dont like the Falco Vs Snake match-up

ADHD

Smash Hero
But can diddy actually do it?

in all my testing i didnt manage to get diddy to do it once. remember theres a distinct difference between a normaly dash-stop item pick up and the IASA version my video shows (im assuming its IASA). I just dont know if im doing it wrong with diddy, since i cant figure out why some characters can do it while others cant
Any character should be able to do this... It's just stopping and pressing A to pick up the item. Maybe some characters are just better at it than others, but the instant ground throw I had was picking up an item and airdodge throwing it in one motion.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
High five to Ninjalink for putting a Diddy in the top 5 at Cot4
That is all.
=]

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
But he used his double jump before the flip, and he doesn't get invincibility frames.

It looks like he B-reversed peanut pop gun and then cancelled the start-up. Can you do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom